Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:49:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Statins and brain function....  (Read 12953 times)

Offline dearestgrandson

Statins and brain function....
« on: February 26, 2009, 10:59:15 am »
I thought this may be important to people with HIV since a lot of you guys take statins to lower cholesterol. I went to a presentation at the university I teach at a few years back by the Physiology department head. It was called "Statins: The great mind robber".

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090223221430.htm

Offline sharkdiver

Re: Statins and brain function....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:02:30 am »
I am becoming uncomfortable with you posting things like this. "may reduce brain function"  "statins: the great mind robber"      Please respect those that are positive and living with this disease.

Offline bobean

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:10:04 pm »
How much brain function would you loose with a stroke???

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30:22 pm »
For those of us dealing with hyperlipidemia as a result of our meds, this type of hypothesis is not helpful.

But it does beg the question: Which would you prefer? Reduced brain function caused by statins needed to offset the hyperlipidemia caused by your ARV therapy, or to eschew the ARV therapy and develop AIDS-related dementia?

I would rather be forgetful than be a vegetable.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline dearestgrandson

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:23:24 pm »
Whoa, people, slow down there.

No need to be snarky.

Yes, you would lose brain function during a stroke. I do not know where I said that or where in the article it said that you wouldn't loose brain function after a stroke. So maybe someone would like to point out to me where I said that, please.
Just because something protects against something via one mechanism, doesn't mean it can't cause it or exasperate it via another mechanism.

Offline dearestgrandson

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:24:35 pm »
For those of us dealing with hyperlipidemia as a result of our meds, this type of hypothesis is not helpful.

But it does beg the question: Which would you prefer? Reduced brain function caused by statins needed to offset the hyperlipidemia caused by your ARV therapy, or to eschew the ARV therapy and develop AIDS-related dementia?

The best thing hopefully would be for ARVs to get to the point where they no longer raise lipids to the degree that they do. Once Norvir becomes obsolete I imagine it would be much less of a problem, although I don't know to what degree.

Offline dearestgrandson

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 09:28:08 pm »
I am becoming uncomfortable with you posting things like this. "may reduce brain function"  "statins: the great mind robber"      Please respect those that are positive and living with this disease.

Where is the disrespect? If I tell a person with Rheumatoid Arthritis that their TNF-alpha blocker may increase the risk of serious infection, is that disrespectful? I don't think so. It is the truth. The truth always wins out, even if we don't like to hear it. Would you rather not know and not make an informed decision?
This may be something that people on statins may want to consider. They may choose to go on another lipid lowering therapy that doesn't inhibit the production of cholesterol in the brain. Statins are not the only option for lowering lipids.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 10:38:32 pm »

Thank you Mark for this explanation

Offline dearestgrandson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 10:46:00 pm »
Thank you Mark for this explanation

So you would rather not know if something was increasing your risk of a particular illness? Better to just go in in the dark then go in informed?

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:47:47 pm »
So you would rather not know if something was increasing your risk of a particular illness? Better to just go in in the dark then go in informed?

This would probably be best to discuss in PM

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 01:55:23 am »
Dearest there is an alarming trend to all your posts. I hate to say it but it seems like you are attempting to overstate the side affects of ARVs in order to justify your grandson's suicide. Yes the side affects can be harsh on our bodies but when you are faced with the very real possibility of death and scary OIs you have NO choice. You suck it up or proceed down the slippery slope of death. I do think you underestimate peoples ability to assimilate and adapt to chronic side affects. You will find many well adjusted people on this very website who have been taking ARVs since the dark days of the 90s who continue to carry on with their lives as normal or close to normal as possible and have no intention of giving up. If you have to pop 15 Imodiums per day or take statin pills then so be it. If it's going to keep me out of the hospital that's what counts. No ones discounting the fact that the drugs can be improved. I intend to hang around as long as possible even if the ARVs "robe" me of my brain function and turn me into a mushroom. There are fates much worse.

Offline dearestgrandson

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 02:45:45 am »
This is about the effect of statins, not ARVs.

sharkdiver said that telling people who need to take statins that it may damage their brain is disrespectul. I don't agree. I posted this about STATIN drugs and about how some scientists suggest they may decreae brain function. I have never had to take statins, but if I was I would want to know information like this. It would maybe be something I would bring up with my doctor. Maybe I would consider switching to another class of cholesterol lowering drugs.

Should a person with breast cancer not be told that they are going to take a medication that may cause them to loose all of their hair? Would it be disrespectful to tell someone the truth about the risks of a treatment? I am sorry, but I just don't understand that line of thinking. I don't understand the desire to be willfully ignorant and to attack those who want to show me information that may or MAY NOT be useful to me.

I have received a few PMs from people who were happy I posted this and said they would talk to their doctors about the possible risks involved. Better to be safe then sorry I always say.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:48:46 am by dearestgrandson »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:43 am »
The "respect" comment was about something less specific and more general.  Did you PM sharkie as he asked?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 10:42:16 am »
This is about the effect of statins, not ARVs.

sharkdiver said that telling people who need to take statins that it may damage their brain is disrespectul. I don't agree. I posted this about STATIN drugs and about how some scientists suggest they may decreae brain function. I have never had to take statins, but if I was I would want to know information like this. It would maybe be something I would bring up with my doctor. Maybe I would consider switching to another class of cholesterol lowering drugs.

Should a person with breast cancer not be told that they are going to take a medication that may cause them to loose all of their hair? Would it be disrespectful to tell someone the truth about the risks of a treatment? I am sorry, but I just don't understand that line of thinking. I don't understand the desire to be willfully ignorant and to attack those who want to show me information that may or MAY NOT be useful to me.

I have received a few PMs from people who were happy I posted this and said they would talk to their doctors about the possible risks involved. Better to be safe then sorry I always say.

umm no I did not say. No it is not an issue of being willfully ignorant.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:19:44 pm by sharkdiver »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 11:01:58 am »
Folks, rather than criticizing and/or defending, please stick to speaking from the "I" perspective about what's stated without getting personal. 

And just "take what you can use and leave the rest."

This thread has been veering at the edge of flaming, which is never informative or helpful.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.