Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 323
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The SeroConversion Process - How Long Does it Last?  (Read 61083 times)

Offline sftrek

The SeroConversion Process - How Long Does it Last?
« on: July 02, 2006, 02:45:50 pm »
How long does the seroconversion process take from start to finish?  I started about 3 weeks ago and still feel bad.  My doc told me I had converted 5 out 10 so far.  Will I feel better when this process completes? 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: The SeroConversion Process - How Long Does it Last?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 03:13:25 pm »
I have never heard of seroconversion lasting that long. It seems seriously unusual to me. Normally, ARS lasts a week to ten days. Mine was roughly a week and change.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 03:52:48 pm »
Mine lasted for about three weeks. The worst three weeks i can remember.... feeling weak, low fever, sweating like a pig, muscle ache, diarrhea, swollen lymphodes, you name it... i had it all.
Be patient.... it will disappear eventually...

Offline chrism1973

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 03:55:45 pm »
Mine lasted about 2 1/2 weeks.IT will get better you just gotta give it time.Hopefully it will be over soon for ya.I know how much it sucks.
Chrism
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline BB

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 04:37:19 pm »
I had three one week periods that I felt miserable which stretched over a three and a half month period. Between the three weeks of misery I felt sick weak and just awful.

BB
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 04:39:02 pm »
With so many people apparently taking WAY longer than the LESSONS mentions for seroconversion, perhaps someone should forward this thread to themoderators so they can alter the lessons?

In addition, all the science I have read insists that ARS does not space itself out over time, but comes all at once and is gone. Any anomolies here really need to talk to the CDC and/or their doctor to discern why they fall so far outside scientific perameters.

In addition, catching someone in the middle of a seroconversion, you'd think that there would be some sort of chemical intervention possible to minimize the initial CD4 damage.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 04:52:20 pm »
If mine was when I think it was, it lasted about two weeks.  Unfortunately, every year since I've had seasonal allergies at the same time of the year, which is what i was diagnosed with at the time, but it was shortly after my boyfriend and I stopped using condoms so that says BINGO! to me. :-\

edited to say:  EX!    Ex-boyfriend.  Just wanted to make that clear!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 05:39:28 pm by Basquo »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 05:01:50 pm »
I didn't have any symptoms of seroconversion.

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 05:27:01 pm »
Hi Jonathan,

I thought ARS was something different from seroconversionsymptoms. ARS is, as far as I know, a word that is not used by doctors anymore, it meant Aids related syndrome and it was a sign that an immune system was about to break down. Nightsweats, fevers, diarrhea.

I think the length of the period of complaints when you get infected depends on how low resistance gets and how long it takes your body to recover the resistance.

Is there a new meaning for the letters ARS nowadays? Did I miss something?

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 05:27:34 pm »
Sftrek,

You will start to feel better.  Don't worry, things will start to resolve themselves.  If not, then you can always talk to your doctor about going on treatment (at least temporarily to allow your body to recover).

It's hard for me to tell when I was within ARS and when it was just regular old HIV symptoms but I would say my symptoms lasted 2 weeks (diarrhea, stomach pains, hives and swollen lymph nodes).  Now they all weren't going on during the full 2 weeks, some issues came and went but the whole experience lasted about 2 weeks.  Although the swollen lymph nodes lasted much longer than 2 weeks and actually didn't really go down until I started treatment (maybe a month after converting).

- Cliff

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 05:37:52 pm »
ARS-Acute Retroviral Syndrome

Offline Basquo

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 05:41:35 pm »
Yes, thanks Rod, for the ARS definition!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 05:46:01 pm »
ARS stands for Acute Retroviral Syndrome. It is the body's initial attempt to fight the virus, and characterized by a variety of symptoms. It is also called seroconversion sickness.

<< The Early Effect of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy During Acute Retroviral Syndrome is Associated with the Time of Starting and the Duration of Symptoms.

Conf Retroviruses Opportunistic Infect 2003 Feb 10-14;10th: abstract no. 514
Vanhems P, Voirin N, Routy JP, Baratin D, Legault M, Trepo C, Miaihles P, Boulassel MR, Livrozet JM, Touraine JL, Fabry J; Edouard Herriot Hosp and INSERM U271, Lyon, France

Background. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) during acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) provides effective suppression of HIV replication and may limits escape mutations>>

There seems to be an ongoing debate as to whether initiating HAART therapy at the serconversion stage as opposed to months or years later makes much of a difference, I suspect that the more we learn about the immune system and it's reconstruction during HAART (as well as its destruction during ARS) the better equipped we will be to fight HIV in the earliest stages.

Welcome Thread

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 06:20:02 pm »

The real bad shit lasted about 4 days, then I felt real fatigued for about a month.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline AC_72

• Life is what you make it!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 06:49:20 pm »
About 1.5 to 2 weeks.....and like Thomas said....REAL TIRED for about the next 6 weeks for me.
Infected:  Feb 2006
Diagnosed:  May 2006
05/02/06:  332,  >500,000 VL
06/22/06:  338,  >500,000 VL
--------><-------
12/01/07:  w/meds <75 VL

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 07:59:05 pm »

I thnk I was sick sick for 2 weeks, but somehow only missed 3 days of work. But it was nearly a month and a half before I felt anywhere near normal again.

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 09:47:18 pm »
just like rapidrod....no symptoms

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 12:04:54 am »
I don't recall a seroconversion either.  Not unless it disguised itself as a normal cold or flu.

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 12:12:28 am »
No recollection of such events.

Shane
(who is feeling fortunate for that)
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 04:31:15 am »
Very New 2 this only knowing that I am + 4 going on 2 weeks and don't recall ever having any symptoms during the window of time when I must have been infected.  But 4 what it's worth in the paperwork they gave me it says that the process may take anywhere from 3-12 weeks and that 99% of us will seroconvert within 6months

Hope it helps and that U start 2 feel better VERY VERY SOON
JAG

Offline whizzer

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 08:58:00 pm »
As best I can tell, I seroconverted in Novermber 04.  It was the flu unlike any flu I ever had before, swollen glands, fever, chills, rash, sore throat, but no upper respiratory problems, and it lasted 6 days.  A routine HIV test in August 05 was poz for ELISA with an indeterminate Western Blot.  The following December they did a Western Blot again and it was STILL indeterminate - only two of four bands reactive.  No one has been able to explain this to me.

I guess I'm one of the 1%.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 09:22:18 pm »
No seroconversion for me. I was only diagnosed after my doctor ordered a routine antibody test because I had been engaging in risk behaviours. I would have had no idea I was poz otherwise.  :o

MtD

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 01:44:35 pm »
Never too late to learn. Funny that ARS is a different thing than 15 years ago. Confusing.

I had a skin reaction and I was very tired. Lasted about a month.

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 05:21:43 pm »
two things I had never heard about in the 14 years I had hiv before this MB were cd% and seroconversion,even though I read as much as possible about hiv. this is still the only place I hear about either.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.