Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:43:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 223
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How much money is really enough?  (Read 42853 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: How much money is really enough?
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »

I thought I was poor when I was making around 100K/yr Dennis.  Talk about a recalibration!  Whew!!!  The lean years just after all that ended did one thing for me for sure, made me appreciate just how far I could stretch a buck.

Well I never went to collage, my parents could only afford for my twin-sister to go to collage, so I enlisted in the Navy, the most I ever made in my lifetime was only a mere 32K a yr. and that was well over 15 yrs ago  :-[
I lot of you guys have made way more than I ever did, and are way smarter than I'll ever be :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Growler

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51:58 pm »
Money Saving Tips for the Modern Queen

No 1.
Always Swallow! He'll be so grateful and semen is a fair source of protein and other essential nutrients!

No 2.
Drinking your own piss is an excellent way to recycle those expensive party drugs.

No 3.
Unscrew all the light-bulbs. Saves on the power bill and dim lighting is always more flattering.

GROWLER (who fancies himself as the new Martha Stewart, without the sensible heels)
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:24 pm »
I live in public housing - what's called "council housing" here. I pay rent weekly and every year I've been in the house I'm in currently, the rent has gone up approximately £4.50 ($7.00-ish) a week each year, so that's a yearly increase of £225 ($350.00-ish) (we get two "free" weeks at the end of December).

Word has it that for the council authority under which I live, the yearly increase this April will be raised to £5.00 ($7.80-ish) at the very least - £250 ($390-ish) a year.

At least I'm getting a refurb (new wiring, plus a new kitchen and bathroom) in the new year. It's sorely needed as it hasn't had a refurb since these places were built in the early 70s.

Private sector rates are so sky-high here that I'd probably be living in a cardboard box if it weren't for public housing.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2011, 11:11:09 pm »
Wow Ann, that's interesting, I wish I could get a refurb, but my landlord is a cheap California investor that hasn't done anything to the place for many yrs. and it's been on the market and REDUCED twice, I wish I had the money to buy it, you have to spend money to make money, but, my landlord doesn't seem to care about any of that, all they do is take our money and laugh @ us all the way to the bank, I feel like a total failure just living there, sometimes I just wanna cry   :-[
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:59 pm »
I am amazed every year that when my friends who are on Social Security get any kind of cost of living increase (which is minimal) their HOPWA share of the rent goes up and their food stamp benefits (SNAP/EBT) go down.  So, my one friend, who will get about a $22 increase in Social Security in January is seeing his food benefits go down by $20 and portion of rent he has to pay under HOPWA go up $10 - so he takes a $30 loss for a $22 increase --- ridiculous.

Rents here in South Florida are fairly high as it is --- I have been looking at renting dowtown near my job - but the one bedroom units I have been looking at are running $1,500 a month and those are for the lower level (first 15 floors) - if I want to be on the 20th - 30th floor, it will be around $1,750 - $1,800 month. --- So, I may stay living in the "suburban ghetto" that I live in --- at least it is centrally located and the increase has only been $10 a month over the last two years - and enough taxi drivers live in the building that I can always get a taxi if I have car problems   ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2011, 11:23:49 pm »
Urban Ghetto, tell me about it Phil, every-time I look out my front patio, some ass-clown is being arrested for cooking meth, and i cannot use my truck to get outta the dam driveway, cause ABQ finest has the whole dam street blocked off ..pisses me off to no end  ::)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2011, 11:29:39 pm »

So, my one friend, who will get about a $22 increase in Social Security in January is seeing his food benefits go down by $20 and portion of rent he has to pay under HOPWA go up $10 - so he takes a $30 loss for a $22 increase --- ridiculous.

Isn't that actually an $8.00 loss? He's given $22 extra, then has $20 taken back off him via loss of food benefit. That still leaves him with $2 more than he started with before the $22 increase. Subtract the extra $10 he has to pay HOPWA, and he's $8.00 down.

Still not fair, it still sucks big-time, but it's a big difference from $30.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:53 pm »
Isn't that actually an $8.00 loss? He's given $22 extra, then has $20 taken back off him via loss of food benefit. That still leaves him with $2 more than he started with before the $22 increase. Subtract the extra $10 he has to pay HOPWA, and he's $8.00 down.

Still not fair, it still sucks big-time, but it's a big difference from $30.

LOL - yep, $8.00, unless of course I borrow $2 a month from him - then it would be $10  ---- ;)

but, it just is crazy how they do things - give you an increase and then basically take it and then some away.
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »
Shit I can't even get HOPWA, when I 1st moved to ABQ I tried to get medicaid and rental help, they took one look @ my SSDI and laugh me outta the welfare-office, they told me."This is New Mexico, and you don't live in sunny California anymore, you make more than enough to live here  ::)

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:34 pm »
Shit I can't even get HOPWA, when I 1st moved to ABQ I tried to get medicaid and rental help, they took one look @ my SSDI and laugh me outta the welfare-office, they told me."This is New Mexico, and you don't live in sunny California anymore, you make more than enough to live here  ::)

Shortly after being diagnosed, and when my income was substantially lower due to a job loss, I applied for HOPWA when the wait list opened in Broward County - that was 3 years ago. They conducted a lottery to select 300 people to put on the wait list --- there were over 1,200 applicants. I got on the list - number 280 - they have placed approximately 60 people from the wait list in three years - and I am no longer eligible (due to income); however, if I was still eligible - it would probably be about another 3 years before they would get to my number (for a total wait of 6 years) --- but, as said, I am not eligible any longer.

In Fort Lauderdale, they were allowing people to be placed on wait list who had just HIV diagnosis - In Miami-Dade County, they only allow persons with an AIDS diagnosis to receive HOPWA rent voucher (HIV positive can receive Emergency Assistance - if they have funding available).
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2011, 12:07:52 am »
Shortly after being diagnosed, and when my income was substantially lower due to a job loss, I applied for HOPWA when the wait list opened in Broward County - that was 3 years ago. They conducted a lottery to select 300 people to put on the wait list --- there were over 1,200 applicants. I got on the list - number 280 - they have placed approximately 60 people from the wait list in three years - and I am no longer eligible (due to income); however, if I was still eligible - it would probably be about another 3 years before they would get to my number (for a total wait of 6 years) --- but, as said, I am not eligible any longer.

In Fort Lauderdale, they were allowing people to be placed on wait list who had just HIV diagnosis - In Miami-Dade County, they only allow persons with an AIDS diagnosis to receive HOPWA rent voucher (HIV positive can receive Emergency Assistance - if they have funding available).

Yeah well the problem with me is, I live with Bob, and he makes almost the same income as I do ( give or take 6O or 70 bucks) and here in New Mexico, you cannot live with someone, cause they count all of the household income, and so does our state medicaid, I didn't loose my dual eligible status because I made too much, it was due to the both of us having too much household income ( bob is still dual eligible status)
but I cannot live with him and get any kinda help @ all, so I don't quailify for much help @ my ASO

Mark is the one who knows about all of this, I should have ask him to explain all of this to me, but, it's too late for any of that now, that ship has already sailed for me  :-[

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2011, 12:15:08 am »

but, it just is crazy how they do things - give you an increase and then basically take it and then some away.

Reminds me of years ago after my hep c treatment ended and I tried going back to work part-time. I got long-term incapacity benefit (fixed amount, not means tested, but you can only work x amount of hours per week) topped up with a living allowance. I had to report my weekly earnings to the living allowance people (different department to the LTIB people) and a large percentage of that would be subtracted from my living allowance. I was allowed to keep what amounted to around £15-£20 of my weekly earnings.

But by the time I paid for the (expensive) bus fares and other unavoidable (but small) expenses that go hand in hand with working, I was basically working 16-20 hours a week for the same amount I'd been getting for not working. What a great way to encourage people to try to build up their strength after illness and get back into the work force!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline denb45

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2011, 12:21:19 am »

Yes Ann it's so unfair here in the states the poorer you are the worst your treated, if I wanted go back to work and do what I did 15 yrs ago, I would need more than 500 T-cells, but I cannot do this, and I've have to start all over again @ the very bottom of the barrel, and that would only be around 17K a yr. but here's the kicker, I already make that amount per yr.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2011, 08:38:16 am »
six years here -- $13.33 increase year year (thought not all at once)

Should I complain or not? A similar until goes for +$800 or so he says, so mine would be $630.  That said, mine is not in as good a shape -- it's not been painted in five years, it has wall-to-wall carpet and everyone else has wood floors, I only have a shower and they have bathtubs, no dishwasher, and no tile floor
On iPad so sometimes miss things but I don't think it's about complaining.  He wants you to pay x, you want to pay y. It's a discussion to see if you can meet in the middle. You have nothing to lose. He says no and you either move or you pay. You're no worse off from having the discussion. Focus on the added cost to him if you move (flat goes empty for x weeks, repairs and renovations plus any reletting costs.

Offline denb45

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »
I make a living, get by, but am not raking in the cash. (I work for a non-profit).

I, like Dennis, live in New Mexico, but I live up north. Unfortunately, it is the second-most expensive county in the state, second only to Santa Fe.

The rents are so high here, people can actually buy property and pay less each month on their mortgage than they would pay in rent.

I rarely eat out by myself, but I have a group of friends with whom I have weekly get togethers to watch movies, talk, eat and enjoy each other's company.

We sometimes go on the occasional camping trip, pooling money to pay for food, camping spots, booze, etc.

I also attend AMG each year, or almost each year, first and foremost because I get to see the great people who have become part of my AMG family. It also affords me the opportunity to see parts of the country I might not see on my own.

But, to attend this, I save my money for most of the year. Rather than charging it, I pay cash for everything. Sometimes that limits how much I might spend or what I buy, but I also get home without a bunch of bills hanging over my head.

I am not wealthy in monetary measurements, and I doubt I ever will be. But, I know many people who live on very little money, and I count myself lucky to be able to do all that I do.

HUGS,

Mark

Oh Mark  :-* I knew there was something I loved about you, you are a unselfish man, I hope that Bob & I can get to Meet you someday, D.C. is still up-in-the-air with us, so we haven't decided on this yet  ;)

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2011, 12:35:09 pm »
Den, what kind of work do you do now? (If Im not being too nosy).

Offline dpb

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2011, 12:46:37 pm »
That's a very subjective question . It depends on what level of lifestyle you are accustomed to and where you choose to live . It also depends if you are living on investment income or a salary from a job .

I feel fortunate and content because I can put a roof over my head and pay my bills and eat out once or twice a week with friends and still pay my medical copay . That may not be enough to satisfy other people who are more ambitious about what they expect out of life but it works for me .   

I agree.

When I was stationed overseas, I was provided rent-free government housing, free food daily at the dining facility (three meals a day, seven days a week), and comprehensive healthcare at no cost.  I had no debt and very few bills or financial obligations.  Although my salary was only around $25,000 a year, I was able to save the majority of my earnings.  For example, my average monthly pay was around $2,100.  I would save $2,000 each month and live off the rest (roughly 95% savings rate).  I liked being frugal and the security I was affording myself.  I liked simplicity and minimalism.  I knew the power of compound interest and the daily sacrifices I was making would pay off later.  I had nearly $55,000 saved by my 23rd birthday.  My goal was $100,000 by the time I separated from the service at age 25, which I was easily on pace for.

Then came my HIV diagnosis.

I was quickly reassigned to a stateside duty station per military policy.  The allowances I was receiving for serving overseas (around $550 a month) were halted.  Shortly thereafter, I was (inaccurately) informed that I must live in off-post housing due to my medical condition. This obviously meant now having bills like everyone else: rent, utilities, food, phone, gasoline, insurance, maintenance, etc.  I had no vehicle, furniture, or furnishings.  So I was suddenly forced into needing all of these things at a time when I was completely unprepared for them.  I was still reeling from the shock, depression, and post-traumatic stress of HIV and a complete life change.  I made poor financial judgement and purchased a brand new vehicle, brand new furniture, and ultimately spent over half of everything I had worked so hard for, and for so long.  Now, I'll be lucky to have half of what I had originally planned for.  I know I shouldn't complain about my financial situation, but I worked very hard and wanted nothing more than to be successful.  I desired that security because it was sorely missing from my childhood and a tumultuous economy which forced me into the military to begin with.

I guess the moral of my story is: don't be an idiot like me. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:56:27 pm by dpb »
Date        CD4    %    VL
1/15/11    Diagnosed
3/1/11    525    18    168,518
5/12/11    558    16    331,791
5/16/11    Started Atripla
5/31/11    NA    NA    1,200
6/15/11    721    21    330
7/15/11    649    23    231
8/15/11    569    25    UD
11/17/11  752    26    UD
3/1/12    634    27    UD
7/2/12    594    26    UD
2/13       676    30    UD
9/13       662    31    UD

Offline denb45

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2011, 01:01:27 pm »
Den, what kind of work do you do now? (If Im not being too nosy).

I've been on SSDI since 98, I used to be a Public Safety Worker, then an Armored Car employee  :)

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »
Cool, thanks for sharing :)

Offline denb45

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »
@ dpb your not an idiot, I like you did some of the same things, and listened to a lotta of very bad advice form many jealous queers (who I though were my friends), but I found out who was really a friend when I got sick with teh AIDS, when all my money run out so did they.....I learned that you really have to be very careful just who you want as friends  :-[  and those life lessons can be very hard on anyone financially, just ask me I should know, I can relate, so don't be so hard on yourself  ;)

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »
Indeed everyone makes financial mistakes, whether it's a bad investment, lending someone money, or being in a relationship where you get taken to the cleaners - I've done all three! Looking back and beating yourself up about it just makes you feel bad, so instead try to look at it as a lesson learned.

Offline Since2005

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »
Mitch, I moved to Switzerland 14 years ago, change careers (yet again)... 

Since, wake up, you need to watch SUZE religiously and start planning man. Don't you have a master's?  You must get yourself a comfortable life, plan for mature years

...Next year I'm going to inform myself about the reality of the retirement I face here.  I think it might have to be closing up shop in my own apartment and moving into a room in an old folk's home.  Maybe that will be fine.  At least, I'm open to change...

I also starting thinking about what I could prepare for now, before 50, to make professional level income after forced retirement as a professor.  I have no idea?! 

First, Meech, don’t tell us that you moved to Switzerland because of your ex partner. I have always thought that you moved there because you hated the policy/republicans etc. here in the States!

You are right! I need a wake up call. I am making the most I have ever made in my life. This is my second job after my grads. Of course, NYC is expensive. But, the money that I am bringing in, I should be way more than fine!!! Funny thing is (may be not), this job is temporary and I am not even thinking about that. I spend money like crazy. That’s what I said when I mentioned salary is irrelevant. Its like the same as when I was making lot less few years back. I envy those who can handle their spending. But, I also have issues to deal with. I think everything is kind of mixed up together. But NO EXCUSES!

You are a professor, you are not even 50 yet! You have a long way to go! How about the idea of coming back to States? If not, then move in to a place with some hot roomies. I heard Swiss are kinda hot. Good luck Man, hope things are gonna work out for you too.

I guess the moral of my story is: don't be an idiot like me.

I would say you haven’t met me yet! I know how you feel. I do feel that way too sometimes. At least, you have some hard cash in you, you are young, and you have a good place to live with good furniture and a new car!  Look at the positive sides. Yes, you wanted none of that but there are things that we do sometimes for no specific reasons. I also understand it took you years to get to where you are at and you worked hard for it. At least, you have things to show up for :). I agree with the other comments. I would take it as lessons learned ( that’s what I tell that to myself…sotto voice)

@ Miss P – I would check the market price to see if you could find a newer place for the same price (with the increased rent and I would also consider the moving costs etc. as you said). I think your parent’s gave good advice. I would be cool but firm while I negotiate with the landlord. He did not raise the rent for 6 years (if I am not mistaken) and he may not do it again for another number of years. It sounds like you have a nice place…

Since ( who is talking sign language with Growler -  Really? Semen is full of protein? Damn! why did I spend money on buying eggs this morning?!)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:45:37 pm by Since2005 »

Offline Growler

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2011, 05:33:49 pm »
OK here's the break down from Sydney Australia.
The Australian and US dollars are currently on parity.

Income $304 a week (government benefits)
$180 a week ($720) a month for a room with shared bathroom and kitchen (includes electricity)
$25 a week public transport
$75 a week food and protein powder.
$7.50 a week recharge mobile phone.
which leaves $16.50 left over for discretionary spending.

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2011, 08:06:02 am »
I live in public housing - what's called "council housing" here. I pay rent weekly and every year I've been in the house I'm in currently, the rent has gone up approximately £4.50 ($7.00-ish) a week each year, so that's a yearly increase of £225 ($350.00-ish) (we get two "free" weeks at the end of December).
Those hikes are pretty shocking!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2011, 08:10:11 am »
No 3.
Unscrew all the light-bulbs. Saves on the power bill and dim lighting is always more flattering.
I agree there. When I was young I once had a bf twice my age and his apt was so dim I used to laugh thinking about Blanche Dubois and her chinese lanterns.  Now I like dim too, but hopefully not deluded and don't need it....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 08:54:44 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:49 am »
Those hikes are pretty shocking!

But the rent I pay is way below what I'd pay in the private market here, even with the hikes. And if I lived in private housing I'd have to either put up with the existing conditions or pay to have things updated myself, and then be subject to a rent increase because of the improvements I myself made. I've seen it happen to quite a few people.

The cost of living - particularly where housing is concerned - is nearly that of London. Most things in the shops are expensive too because just about everything has to be shipped or flown in. The lower retail costs of things over in Liverpool astounds me every time. I still consider myself lucky to be living on this Rock and I don't really want to move anywhere else.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2011, 12:13:14 pm »
Here in Swiss cities, go try to rent in the current market and its the same as if you would rent on Park Avenue, Monte Carlo, or whatever the luxury street is in Moscow.  So freakin expensive and there are very very few apartments at any price, let alone dream of finding the bargain.  Zurich, Geneva, Lausanne, Bern, its all the same.  Like renting space on the International Space Station!  Back when i was in college I had a bf from geneva, a different one, long before I moved here.  I just saw his apartment listed last week for 5,800.  He was priced out years ago, of course..

I just watched a House Hunters International where a family was moving from England to Geneva. Wow! it is expensive! Apparently Geneva is the 4th most expensive city in the world. They looked at this old house in need of updating that rented for $10,000 a month! They ended up in a modern, generic apartment for $7000 a month. I just can't imagine RENTING a place for that amount of money.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2011, 05:32:11 pm »
Well I never went to collage, my parents could only afford for my twin-sister to go to collage,

Dennis, have you ever heard of paying for college yourself?  My parents couldn't afford to pay for any of my siblings, nor myself, to attend college.  My brother and I went, and both of us have racked up a ton in student loans.  So, don't feel lonely about your parents not being able to pay.  Also, you make quite a bit on SSDI; much more than I used to make.  Living with Bob should give you a sorta-good living situation.  Together you both probably make more than I do working. 
I'm not even going to talk about the nightmare that is going back to work while being on SSDI.  I'm still living the nightmare, and not getting the SSDI anymore.  It's a cluster fuck to say the least.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »
Hey Betty Thanks for your reply  :D I don't really have any regrets about not graduating form a Large expensive Collage, however I did go to Jr. collage after the Navy, and was able to secure a service-trade
in the County Public Safety sector, and later on in the Private sector, making almost 32k a yr. isn't all that bad for not being a Collage Grad  ;) (I wish i still made that now, but I don't) and Yes I'm grateful for what I do have, not all that bad for 55 yr old with Teh AIDS and other related health problems  :)  @ this point I wouldn't even try, that ship has kinda sailed for me @ my age  ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:59:37 pm by denb45 »

Offline Hoover

« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2011, 09:02:18 am »
I feel so bad reading how devastated so many people are from being poz.
Now that we are over the breaking in period and are UD, our lives have returned to normal. Cost for us now is about $100 each a month. Our houses and cars are paid for and not needing heat or AC we have $40 electric bills so we could live on little cash if needed. We could wake up tomorrow and the product we sell could be replaced leaving us with no income what so ever. You just never know what the future holds. With that said, I would like to offer anyone help if they require a medical procedure they cannot afford in the states. We have our house and guest house open for world wide house exchange and would be glad to help anyone who needs to come to Costa Rica for cheaper medical procedures. We can offer our knowledge of the doctors and city, travel to doctors, a place to stay and hopefully good food and friendship. Airfare from major cities can be cheap to get here and the doctors are very reasonable. CR is the destination of many North Americans for medical tourism. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Hoover and the husband
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2011, 11:58:53 am »
Hoover - what a incredibly kind, generous offer! I've been the CR once, and found the people there to be very nice. I also recall CR getting high marks for social closeness. I believe the saying there is "pura vida", or "pure life". Thanks again for being so kind & caring, and Happy New Year!

Offline Hoover

« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2011, 02:05:56 pm »
Thanks for the kind note Tony.
It is beautiful here and best of all is the medical community is first class.
My husband's upper GI scope cost us $115.00 and my lower and upper cost $500.
Dental is cheap! Our supplier of Atripla sells for around $100 a month supply.
If I had to catch HIV, at least I picked a good place to live.

Hoover
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2011, 11:18:55 pm »
You're welcome Hoover - seems like your country has its act together with regard to medical care; reminds me of Ann living where she lives as well. Then why do people in America go crazy when the idea of raising the level of health care is proposed? Aren't we shamed by comparison to these other countries with better health care? Just food for thought...

Offline mecch

« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2011, 11:45:00 pm »
Dental is cheap! Our supplier of Atripla sells for around $100 a month supply.
If I had to catch HIV, at least I picked a good place to live.
That is branded Atripla?
Off the pharmacy shelve and 100 is the retail price for a month of Atripla?.

Or that is the price you pay, and it is a portion of the cost, and the government and insurance pays the rest of the retail price?

Or that is the price of your generic atripla from India?

All first line HIV drugs are the same as in Europe? All available?  Intellence? Isentress? etc.

Offline Hoover

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2011, 08:10:16 am »
The Atripla we buy is sold from a pharmacy Panama and comes in a bottle marked Atripla.
The cost is around $100 per month supply.
Bottles nearing their exp date cost $85.00.
Our doctor set us up with this supplier as he is also a patient of his.
The CR health system will give us sustiva, AZT and the third for that combo.

In the past we have purchased our truvada from India and used the free CR sustiva.
I still have about 6 bottles of truvada to finish. In three months I will no longer have to drive over two volcanoes to get my free sustiva, we will be completely on Atripla.

Cheers,
Hoover
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2011, 09:21:18 pm »
fyi schmucks, I negotiated my landlord downward with that rent increase so it will only be slightly more than half of what he originally asked for. :-*
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2011, 09:30:32 pm »
fyi schmucks, I negotiated my landlord downward with that rent increase so it will only be slightly more than half of what he originally asked for. :-*

Great job - Ms P.

When I first moved to Fort Lauderdale - about 13 years ago - I lived in a charming quad located on on W. Las Olas in Lauderdale in a historic area - my initial rent was kind of high - but the landlord liked me (translation - wanted sex), so I was able to "negotiate" my rent down a bit - by going down a bit myself - and over a bit - and under a bit - and.... well, you get the picture.......  my current landlord is a straight female (dayuuuuummmmm it!!!!) - so, I don't get a break. Hmmmphhhh! >:(
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mecch

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:35 am »
Wow who knew the price could be so different!  Somehow your country gets it so cheap?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2011, 05:22:57 am »

my current landlord is a straight female (dayuuuuummmmm it!!!!) - so, I don't get a break. Hmmmphhhh! >:(

You never know, she may have a penchant for strap-ons that you just don't know about. Get yourself the gear, "accidentally" leave it out and invite her over to talk about your rent. If her eyes light up when she sees it, you know you got her where you want her.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mecch

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »
As I continue to be amazed by the different pricing possible for Atripla, I googled this info straight from the company:

So in a nutshell, this means that the poor struggling for HIV treatment in the USA are being punished by whom?  By the government unwilling to foot the retail price most people in the us manage to pay through insurance? Or by a company that manages to sell it for a fraction of the us price, in almost a 100 countries? Or both? Or no one?

ATRIPLA
On August 11, 2006, MSD announced an agreement with Gilead Sciences for the distribution of ATRIPLATM in developing countries around the world. ATRIPLATM is a once-daily, single tablet regimen for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults. ATRIPLATM contains 600 mg of efavirenz (STOCRIN) from MSD, combined with 200 mg of emtricitabine and 300 mg of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (Truvada), from Gilead Sciences.
This developing world agreement covers 94 countries, including those 15 priority countries designated by George W. Bush under his 2004 President's Emergency Program For Aids Relief (PEPFAR).
•   For countries in the low HDI category and countries in the medium HDI category, with adult HIV prevalence of 1% or greater, ATRIPLA will be available to all purchasers at a price of US $613.20 per patient per year. Sixty-seven countries are eligible for this pricing.
•   For countries in the medium HDI category with adult HIV prevalence of less than 1%, ATRIPLA will be available to all purchasers at a price of US $1,032.95 per patient per year. Twenty-two countries are in this category.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2011, 09:15:41 am »
Excellent!!! 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:57 pm »
Back on topic... this thread link here to UrbanBaby should amuse everyone, especially the first post where a Manhattan resident claims that they feel poor on $700,000. Or the $2 million/yr person who feels middle class.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:54 pm »
If you have enough money to pay for your own funeral when you cop it, then you have enough money.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline TonyDewitt

• Standard
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2012, 07:50:33 pm »
Amen Matt - funerals ARE expensive!

Online numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
Interesting topic... I'm not sure if I've ever thought about what amount of money I would need to make/have to feel comfortable. I agree with some who have said that the more you have the more you spend. It's my experience that, me personally, as my income has increased or decreased then my enjoyment in life has adjusted accordinglly. I tend to be more of a "can't take it with me so go out and blow it on fun times with my friends" kind of guy eventhough I'm a budget analyst by trade, and fiscal responsibility is what I'm paid to practice. For me I save just enough of my income to have some padding, but prefer to enjoy my life in the now. I think my friends and co-workers would describe me as an extremely generous and charitable person. 

I'm not intending to live forever or truthfully even to 50. So in my opinion I would rather have some amazing memories and experiences now. I think part of wanting financial security is to take care of those people who rely on you in the event that something happens to you. I'm single and with no dependents so I think that urge to have a nest egg isn't as strong.

I also think HIV has played a role in this thinking because I have a greater sense of urgency to live and experience life now while I can. Who knows when health problems will plague me and start taking away my quality of life. A bit cynical but any one of us could die tomm. In short I think I need enough to have shelter, a mode of transportation, and without going to sleep hungry. I agree with Phil though... it would be a lot easier to live somewhere else other than Fort Lauderdale, but its a small price to pay to live in a place that I love.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline denb45

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »
Amen Matt - funerals ARE expensive!

Go with Direct Cremation it's only $600 to $800 US, it's clean cheap & easy, why spend over 10K on a Funeral
you would be better served donating  that to your loved ones, or any AIDS charity of your choice  ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2012, 09:52:11 am »
I tend to be more of a "can't take it with me so go out and blow it on fun times with my friends" kind of guy eventhough I'm a budget analyst by trade, and fiscal responsibility is what I'm paid to practice.

I had a nice chuckle reading this.  I was a budget analyst for the federal government at the former Newark Airforce Base.  I oversaw a $34 Million  annual budget and had a reputation for being uber conservative.  If my budget chief had ever looked into my personal finances, I'd have probably been demoted to a clerk position.  I'm great with others' money, just not my own.  I was fortunate to have a spouse who handled all of that. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2012, 10:50:57 am »
I had a nice chuckle reading this.  I was a budget analyst for the federal government at the former Newark Airforce Base.  I oversaw a $34 Million  annual budget and had a reputation for being uber conservative.  If my budget chief had ever looked into my personal finances, I'd have probably been demoted to a clerk position.  I'm great with others' money, just not my own.  I was fortunate to have a spouse who handled all of that. 

Wolfie

Never trust anyone with your personal finances, I made the mistake of doing that with people I thought I could trust when I was in my late 20s & 30s I even had guys disguised as my BF, or someone I thought was
you have to be very careful, sometimes you just cannot trust people, as they will have their own hidden agenda, some people just aren't kind at all, and if your not paying attention, you will get taken to the fucking cleaners, like I have in the past  :(

Lesson learned for me, today I have my own credit cards & my own banking, my own car, and so does Bob, if we need each others help, were able to do so, but we keep every-thing on the personal finances level separate, that means no joint account, and we even save or own $$$ separately, and this works well for us, as we've been doing this for the last 18 yrs.  ;)

Offline Hoover

« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
Deb,

That is funny that you said you both keep your money separate.
A friend who has been married to a doctor for 35 years told me yesterday that they have always had separate accounts also.
I guess that is not uncommon.
Seventeen years ago when my husband stalked me and then I quickly moved into his place, I inherited his debt and his kids. We have always worked together and shared accounts/money. Never have we had an argument about money, but we also know we will never divorce. The other day our x-wife was talking to our adult son and she said,
"Son you know that Hoover will steal all the money when your father dies........" :o
After 17 years of working and living together 24/7 she thinks I own/deserve nothing.
Joke is on her, we decided years ago our kids/families have received all they need from us.
We will spend our money like it is our money and hopefully enjoy the time we have left.

Cheers,
Hoover and the Husband
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?

Offline denb45

« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »
Funny story Hoover  ;D but I've learned to be that way, call me cynical, but my dear old mother always told me
"Son take care of your own dam business" but I didn't listen to that advice until 18 yrs ago when I met Bob, he feels the same as I do, as he's been taken to the cleaners before as well, you live & you learn I suppose  ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.