Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:32:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it time to start taking meds?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline logancircledc

Is it time to start taking meds?
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:01 am »
I first tested poz in 1989; my guess is that I was infected in 1984.  I took the old drugs for a couple of years in the early 90's and then stopped.  I have been off meds since 1994.  My counts are fine: CD4s between 550 and 900, and viral load from 0 to about 700.  My doctor says that i am a viremic controller.  Now, however, he wants me to think about starting the new meds -- complera.  I just don't know what to do.  i feel fine; my numbers are stable - slightly more viral load but nothing startling.
What do you think?

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: Is it time to start taking meds?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »
Welcome first and formost.

Thinking myself into your position I am afraid no clear answer presents itself.I would have to hit the conference papers as I know there has been a steady stream off info suggesting starting at a higher CD4 count.

I would want to be 100% clear why my Doc  is advising this move.

I would take the luxury off no medical rush to fully consider.

Keep in touch and again welcome

theyer

PS Have you ever had any HIV related health problems?
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline logancircledc

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »
Fortunately, i have had no HIV-related or other health problems.  I would like to just keep doing what I'm doing, but, if taking complera is not a big deal, I can do it.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »
Hi Logan,
From what you've told us your health and blood results seem to be very good. Only you can decide whether or not to medicate.
The newer treatments seem to be a lot easier than the older medications so that's a huge plus. On the minus side, you will remember what it's like having to make sure that you never run out of medications/ miss doses.
Whichever way you decide to go do keep up with regular monitoring and blood testing. I know from my own past mistakes that 'feeling well' is not a reliable indicator on how the immune system is responding.
Good luck and good health to you.

Offline deibster

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:57:11 am »
Welcome Logan,
It's great that you're not having any health problems. I would Carefully check the ingredients of Complera; I think it contains tenofavir, and the current literature for side effects of these drugs. After I was on tenofavir for five years, studies came out that a small but significant percentage of patients on it get kidney problems and/or bone loss. What the heck? I have both; a little bone loss which is usually correctable. I have been off of tenofavir (Viread) for six months & my blood work still shows kidney damage. I'm going to a nephrologist next week to find out if it's permanent.

Remember, the new studies show that if you start meds when your CD4 count is 500, you are expected to live 20 years longer than if you started at a CD4 of 200. I wish I had known this 17 years ago when I started treatment.           Hugs, Deibster
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:02:59 am by deibster »
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.