Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:01:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Still Worried...  (Read 21206 times)

Offline worriedlots

Still Worried...
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:23:00 am »
Hello everyone!

I guess I have to re-type my story again since this is a new forum...

I had insertive vaginal sex with a sex worker around 17 days ago. The sex was protected as I used a latex condom that did not break nor slip during the entire intercourse (when I pulled out it still covered most of the entire length of my penis) also I am circumcised and did not ejaculate.  :-X

However, the following day I had abdominal pains that lasted for 3 days. Till today, I still have aches in my muscles and joints (specifically left thigh muscle/don't know if it's groin lymph node or not), also dry throat and a little white spot in the back of my mouth (around 1 cm) and a constipation.  :-\

Yesterday, I figured out that I also have a Hemorrhoid situation (maybe independent?) and I really don't know if it has something to do with these symptoms or if the symptoms are more linked to a HIV ARS condition...  ???

Two days ago (14 days post exposure) I had a NAT testing in a regional blood bank center in which I know a friend. He said that he'll contact me if there is something wrong, but since he didn't, I guess that the test went OK.

My questions are: How reliable is the NAT testing (after 14 days of exposure) when used in the context of blood donor screening? And also, are my current physical condition any similar to a typical ARS that occurs 2-4 weeks post exposure?

Thank a lot...

PS. I know that I posted a lot of messages in the previous forum, but I am still worried and anxious...

Thank you: Ann, JK2, Morgan, HIVworker, Rapidrod, etc...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Still Worried...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:27:42 am »
worried,

You were repeatedly told in your thread in the old forum that you had no risk of hiv infection during protected intercourse. You don't need to test over this incident.

However, using blood donation for hiv testing when you doubt your hiv status is beyond reprehensible. If you don't believe our advice that you didn't have a risk, then wait until the six week mark (as you have been told) and get a normal ELISA test. DON'T use blood donation as a way to screen for hiv infection.

Read the Welcome thread at the top of this forum. There are links to Lessons there that you need to read.

Ann
(who refuses to even discuss NAT testing under the circumstances)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:11:40 am »
Would you still be worrying if you'd had intercourse with a civilian instead of a professional? I ask that because again and again we see people coming in here and refusing to believe they were not at risk.

Often it seems it's because they were with a professional instead of a non- pro and in some instances are either married or in a relationship.

If you are having troubling symptoms you should discuss them with your doctor. You had protected intercourse. Condoms do a very effective job no matter whom you are with. This is not an HIV situation and all of your handwringing and conjecturing will not make it otherwise.

The shame is not that you had sex with a sex worker, but that you have allowed your fears to run away with you and to misuse the blood system as your personal testing site.

Andy Velez

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 05:00:50 pm »
Hello everyone...

Thanks Ann and Andy for your comments...

I would just like to make my point clear: I did not donate blood. I took the NAT testing and paid for it (350 Euros), which I was able to do since I know a friend who works in a blood bank central.

I would make a blood donation in full soon though...

Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »
Thanks for that clarificaiton regarding the blood bank testing.

At the end of the day I don't see any other than a negative test result for you.

The other stuff about being with a sex worker you will have to sort out.

Happily, I don't see yours as an HIV situation. Keep it that way by always using a latex condom no matter whom you are with in the future.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 06:41:20 am »
Thanks Andy for your post...

I came to terms with myself believing that anxiety and stress can cause a whole lots of things and "symptoms". The strange thing is that the body remains stressed even if the person tries to forget all of the stress and anxiety...

The point is to believe in the science of HIV and in the comments of the experts here at aidsmeds.com.

Thanks a lot, folks...

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:25:08 am »
Hello experts,

Just a thought in mind...

Can I consider my NAT testing conclusive (after 14 days post exposure?)...

I am still feeling some aches in my muscles and joints...
No fever, no rash, no swollen glands (as far as I know they look normal)... However, I am just experiencing a general feeling of drained energy...

Thanks for your comments...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:34:45 am »
worried,

When there has been an actual risk of infection (ie unprotected intercourse has taken place), a result is conclusive at 12-13 weeks.

You didn't have a risk of hiv infection. You didn't need to test over this incident. So yes, your test is conclusive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 01:08:19 pm »
Sorry to be a pain in the butt again...

But I have a couple of questions in mind to ask.

1/ Does the p24 antigen testing reveal HIV status within 1-3 weeks?
2/ Is my NAT testing done at 14 days post "exposure" reliable as conclusive (no need for 13-week testing)?

Thanks a lot...

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 06:07:08 pm »
Worried,

You had no risk.  Testing isn't necessary. 

To contract hiv, you have to put yourself at risk for it.  You have not done that.  You can test til the cows come home but this FACT won't change.

You are hiv negative.  Get used to it.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 01:48:29 am »
Thanks Morgan for your reply.

I guess I should just move on with my life's routine and try my best to forget and ignore my stress and anxiety about contracting HIV.

I am glad you all unanimously confirmed my neg. status (in addition to my NAT testing).

What could I say?.... GO CONDOMS! They're great!

Thank you all...  ;D

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 02:34:30 pm »
Fast questions...

1/ I am getting another test after 6 weeks post exposure... Could that mean to be 100% conclusive in my case?  ???

2/ I am having pain in my left thigh/groin and also my knees. I don't really know if that is related to my scuba-diving hobby (yesterday) or to possible ARS as it is 3 weeks post exposure.

I appreciate your comments again...

Thanks.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 02:41:15 pm »
<< 1/ I am getting another test after 6 weeks post exposure>>

There was no "exposure."

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 11:30:58 am »
Need comments for these questions as it's always good to know...

How good is a 6-week standard official ELISA test?

In terms of percentages, what do you mean by the "vast majority" will seroconvert within 6 weeks?

thanks...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 11:54:47 am »
Thing is, it doesnt matter. YOU HAD NO EXPOSURE.

You are testing over a NON RISK event.

How reliable will my pregnancy test be? Might it be negative?

God, hope so.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 11:35:04 am »
I am getting a full STD panel checkup tomorrow, to include a 4th Generation HIV testing.

Assuming a negative, could this mean and be considered that I am conclusively negative? (only after 5 weeks after protected sex with a pro???)

I also mentioned before that I had a NAT testing (standard blood testing procedure that I paid for) done 2 weeks post "exposure" and it was negative.

I really appreciate your comments...

Thank you so much.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 11:43:07 am »
Methinks your attitude would be very different had you enjoyed protected sex with a librarian.

This is not about HIV. Its about something far uglier.

I respectfully withdraw from the conversation.

Welcome Thread

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 03:48:05 pm »
Thanks JK2, I guess we had a little misunderstanding there...

Anyways... any comments from the other experts, please?

Thanks...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2006, 03:57:24 pm »
Worried,

You have already been told - repeatedly - that you had no risk. Any test you take will be conclusive.

And by the way, I totally agree with Jonathan. If you had protected intercourse with a librarian, or the "girl next-door", you probabaly wouldn't give it a second thought. Condoms protect equally as well no matter who your sex partner is.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2006, 04:07:56 pm »
Thanks a lot, Ann.

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 07:27:03 am »
Hello again...

I just got my full STD panel and health checkup results.

It returned negative for everything including HIV (test taken after 5 weeks after the "exposure").

I will be testing again in a month time...

Is that necessary or shall I throw away thins stuff behind now?

Thanks...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 08:35:19 am »
Worried,

You can take your hiv test to be conclusive because you did not have a risk in the first place.

Keep using condoms for intercourse and you will remain hiv negative. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 01:25:58 pm »
In terms of percentages... how reliable is a 5-week negative test for HIV-1/2 ?

Thanks lots...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 03:41:09 pm »
Worried,

Frankly, I don't know and I don't care what percentage test postitive by five weeks. And you shouldn't either as you had no risk.

You are hiv negative. If you are having trouble accepting that fact, then please seek the assistance of a mental health care professional to help you come to terms with your negative status.

You had no risk and you are hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 04:28:35 am »
Dear Ann,

Thank you for the reply.

It gives me more confidence and actually, I am getting into terms with myself and FULLY accept that I am HIV neg, fortunately.

I am now throwing all this behind and I am not planning to have sex anymore unless it is within a securely monogamous relationship and WITH the use of CONDOMS!(as always was the case)

NAT and P24 negative after 2 weeks.
ELISA HIV-1/2 negative after 5 weeks.

I guess I should be more confident and take those as conclusive...

Thanking you all (again) so much and infinitely.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 06:28:53 am »
worried,

You're welcome... but what are you doing here reading this? Get off your computer and go enjoy your weekend. Get some fresh air and a fresh perspective with it.

You are hiv negative - stay that way! ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 10:30:04 am »
Hello Folks...

Just wanted to hear some feedback on my updated "fear" situation...

I just got another ELISA test done at the 6 week timeline. This was required for a new medical insurance that I want to get.

The test came back NEG  ;D

I guess my fears and worries are just causing me stress and waste of time and energy searching for the possibilitie sof infection.

I had protected sex, which means no HIV infection.

Is my 6-week test NEG result good as gold and more than enough?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 10:45:04 am »
Worried,

As you had no risk of infection during protected intercourse, yes, you can take your six week test result as "good as gold and more than enough."

You are hiv negative. Keep using those condoms and you will stay that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 05:55:21 am »
Hello everyone!

I would like to know a little bit more and educate myself in regard to HIV testing methods...

I got a NEG test result on week 6 and week 7.5
I got to know that the test I had is called: ELFA and the sensitivity is less than 0.25 (<0.25).

Could anybody tell me what generation of test that is? How reliable it is at the time taken? and How different could that be from a standard ELISA?

Thank you all...

I believe I am conclusively negative as I had protected sex. But I still would like to know...

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 09:52:22 am »
Any replies from the experts?... ???

Thanks a lot.

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 02:13:23 pm »
Hello folks... and sorry to bother you all again...

But i would just like to hear a final say from you as before i move out completely out of this...

Protected Vaginal Sex with sex worker.

@ 2 weeks: tested neg with P24 and NAT
@ 4 weeks: tested neg with standard ELISA
@ 6 weeks: tested neg with standard ELISA
@ 7.5 weeks: tested neg with ELFA (sensitivity of <0.25)

Should I go on for the 12/13th week? or is it just beating the hell out of a dead horse? pure waste of money?

I appreciate your replies as i am planning to move on and always use condoms and get HIV worried out of my head.

Thank you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 02:23:08 pm »
<<Protected Vaginal Sex with sex worker.>>

This did not require a test at all. If nothing else, I hope you take that fact with you.

Welcome Thread

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 02:24:30 pm »
Worried,

No. You do not need to test further.  You are conclusively hiv negative.  You had protected sex and have repeatedly tested neg.

Protect that neg status by always using condoms for penetrative sex.

Morgan  ;D
Morgan Landers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2006, 11:41:59 am »
Worried, it's time to call a halt here. You were never at risk to begin with in this incident. You've gotten tested when it was never necessary.

No you're massaging your fears for what reason I don't know, but certainly you have no cause for concern that's grounded in HIV science.

This is not an HIV situation and it's time to forget about asking for just one more opinion or one more question. You're not liistening to what's beng said to you. You were not at risk. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story. No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 01:57:07 pm »
Thank you guys for your response...

I appologize for being such a pain in the butt in this forum...

I am just posting here as to vent-out some stress and worries about HIV...

I am now more and more sure about my negative status and in such condition, I will try not to post...

You guys say that most people (who actually got exposed) test positive by the 6 week marker. I tested negative at 7.5 week. So I guess it's conclusive for me as the sex was protected.

Thank you all for you help!

Thanks again.

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:49 pm »
Hello again...

I hate to be back posting here, but i couldn't help it...

I am experiencing pains in my right shoulder and a stiff neck, also my throat is a bit sore...

Any thoughts about possible ARS after over 8 weeks???????

I found this interesting game that will give the risk per exposure... It is found at: www.aidsgame.com

Thank you again... and sorry for my posting, i know it must be a pain in the butt for all of you, experts...

I am thinking about testing again at the 9-week mark :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 06:47:32 am »
Worried,

You did not have a risk of hiv infection. Condoms have been PROVEN to prevent hiv transmission.

If you read through the Welcome Thread, you will have read the following:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

If you are having physical problems, you need to go see a doctor about them. We cannot diagnose you over the internet and going to the doctor is the face-to-face help you need. 

You did not have a risk of hiv infection and there is nothing more we can do for you on this forum. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 09:48:16 am »
Couldn't do anything but to do it...

Got tested today (9-week postmark).

HIV 1/2 AB and P-24 AG.

I tested Negative (0.09 ref) the positive would be >0.25

I finally got rid of my fears and I am leaving this behind for good...

Thank you all for you help and patience with somebody who "never" actually had a risk afterall... But the fears are so great, they haunted me during all this time... I know that my test is not considered conclusive (less than the 12/13 week postmark) but I am no longer testing because of this.

Andy, Ann, JK2, Morgan,RapidRod, and all the others... Thank you! and God bless...

Offline worriedlots

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2006, 02:31:11 pm »
A quick question for general knowledge...

Is an HIV1/2 ABs + P24 AG test (a test where ABs and AG are combined in one testing) considered a 4th generation test?

Anyone?

Thanks...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2006, 05:20:05 pm »
It's a duo test of which the P24 window is up to 3 weeks. So guess what, you wasted your money again. As for the ELISA part of the test of course it's going to be negative you didn't have a risk. Now if you don't understand that by now I would suggest you seek a mental health professional. No one here can be of anymore help to you than you have already been given.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2006, 05:45:20 pm »
worried,

You did not have a risk of infection. You do not need further testing. You are hiv negative.

Keep using condoms and you will continue to avoid hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.