Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:30:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: anything to worry about?  (Read 16103 times)

Offline guy

anything to worry about?
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:19:24 am »
Hi, I am new to this site  but after being on it for a few days I see that there is a lot of straight forward advice to be people with questions about fear of hiv. My concern is that on a couple occasions I partied with  other people, some I knew and some I didn't. We would drink beer and smoke mirijuana out of pipes, sharing them (I know, not good). My fear is that a lot of times I get very bad chapped lips and sometimes my bottom lip gets a crack where it bleeds a little bit. If someone else had this same problem at this time and we were sharing these items together, would this be a risk of getting hiv or even hepc if one of them had it? I'm really freaking out because of the possible blood to blood exposure. If this isn't likely could someone please explain. I hope you guys don't think this is a stupid question, but I have a hard time sleeping over this situation. I hope this is just anxiety over fear of hiv and not a real risk.

Thank You                     

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: anything to worry about?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:32:28 pm »
OK, as far as HIV is concerned there wasn't any risk for transmission in the activities you have mentioned.

Hep C is primarily transmitted through infected blood or shared needles, so again your activities do not fall into the risky areas for either of those.

Read the lesson on transmission of HIV which you can get to through the link in the first thread in this section. It will help to spare you unnecessary worrying.

If you are sexually active it's always good to regularly do the full standard panel of STD tests -- at least annually and more frequently if there has been risky behavior or any symptoms you are concerned about.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline guy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 10:16:15 am »
Thank you Andy for responding to my question and easing my concern, but is the reason there was no risk is because there would probably have to be a lot more blood shared in these exposures to get in my bloodstream to be infected? I have learned that kissing between two people with small cuts or blleding in their mouths would pose a little risk because saliva kills hiv, but it was the outer part of my mouth that I was worried about. If I get tested in a couple of months, do you think the results would be negative? I'm sorry for probably wasting your time.                                                         

Thank You KIndly

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 11:18:39 am »
Guy,

As long as you are using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions, then I fully expect your hiv test to return a negative result.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus. It quickly becomes damaged and unable to successfully transmit itself to a new host once it is exposed to the environment outside of the body. This is why your pipe sharing does not pose a risk for hiv. You might catch your smoking-mates head cold this way, but you will absolutely not catch hiv this way.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! Check out the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms with confidence. We're not born knowing the correct way to use them, so get reading.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline guy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 10:01:11 am »
Thank you both Andy and Ann for your answers It's really reassuring that there are people out there like yourselves. As far as getting tested like I said I was, I was curious is ever of you think it is necessary? Unprotected sex is out of the question and never, ever injected drugs. My father passed away from hiv from injecting drugs years ago and that's why hiv testing is very scary to me and is why I try and stay away from risky exposures and is probably why this subject worries me so much. Any short response from either would be greatly appreciated and I won't bother you on this any longer.

Thank You Both

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 04:40:58 pm »
None of the activities you have described are ones which would have been risky as far as HIV is concerned. Including the details about your lip.

There's no need for further concern nor for testing. No kidding.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline guy

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 01:02:45 am »
Thank you Andy for your response, and I give you all do respect that is deserving of you for giving up your your time to answer my concern. Keep doing what your doing!

Offline guy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 06:31:42 pm »
Sorry to bother you guys one LAST TIME. Ive read on the internet that there have been cases of people getting hep c without any known risk factors.Could my situation possibly fall into one of these? The possibilities of blood to blood exposures kinda freak me out. Should I be fine for hep c also. Anyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Offline guy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 11:11:58 am »
Anyone?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 12:42:05 pm »
guy,

Hep C is primarily transmitted through sharing drug injecting equipment and it is believed it may also be occasionally transmitted through sharing straws to snort drugs. However, it is doubtful that it would be transmitted during your pipe sharing.

The bottom line here, as with hiv, is that if you are in doubt about your hep C status, testing is the only certain answer.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 06:31:11 pm »
Guy,

If you choose to test for hep C, wait until 13 weeks post exposure.  Like hiv, hep C has a 13 week window period.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline guy

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 01:01:09 pm »
Sorry for another non sexual hiv concern, but as I've seen on alot of Anne's answers hiv needs a host like mucous membranes in vagina or anus. Isn't mucous membrane in the nose the same or different? It's been bothring me because on occasion in past I have shared straws or bills and not thought about blood to mucous contact which could have been possible. Would I be at any risk for hiv? One of the persons I did it with broke out with shingles recently and I read that hiv would be the cause because you need a wekened immune system and she's only about 33. A quick satement I read from the web "Most non-sexual hiv transmission has been studied in the healthcare setting. In the study 2042 percutaneous injuries involving hiv infected blood, six healthcare workers were infected. Of the six, five were injured from sharp objects or needles. One was related to blood exposed in an open wound. All six cases involved a large quantity of hiv infected blood. Could an expert(JK,ANNE,ANDY) explain what is meant by large quantity of blood? These would be my only two questions and concern. Sorry to bother or offend anyone else who has had a real risk if mine is pretty much nonexistent.

Thanks members of the forum. You guys/gals seem to be a great help for people like myself.       

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 01:39:17 pm »
guy,

Hiv is not spread via straws used to snort drugs. It is much too fragile a virus that needs specific cells to latch onto and these cells are not found in the lining of the nose. You may want to check for hep C if you snort drugs, but not hiv.

Anyone who has had chickenpox can get shingles at any time in their life. Hiv does not come into it in any way, shape or form.

Large quantities of blood means just that. In a medical setting, it would likely involve blood gushing from a wound where an artery was damaged.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline guy

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 01:30:52 pm »
 Just as I was getting over my unwarranted fears of hiv, I got myself in a situation where I hope someone coiuld tell me I probably have nothing to worry about. Me and a friend of mine went to some bars and a few drinks we got into a situation where I had to hit him. After I hit him he got up and hit lip was busted up and he was spitting some blood. My knuckle had a cut from this and was also bleeding. That was the extent of the incident. I've read on someone elses post who had a same concern and was told that hiv has not once been caught from fist fighting ever. Is this REALLY true, and if so how could it be with all the blood contact that usuall goes along with the fights? Is there any kinda risk in this situation?                                                                           
 One more question. Most experts on this sight say do not have unprotected sex and do not share iv needles and you will avoid hiv and it's that simple. Has this always held true except maybe some unusual circumstances? Thanks again

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 03:42:26 pm »
Your bloody knuckle is not a transmission vector for Hep. or HIV.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline guy

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 06:53:23 pm »
 Thank you Lisa. But can anyone else other than Lisa that knows a lot about hiv, like a moderator or someone close respond to my post? Please

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 07:15:54 pm »
Guy,

Busting your mate in the chops is not a risk for hiv transmission. The only thing you've risked is your friendship. As you've read elsewhere in this forum, not one person has ever become hiv positive through a street brawl and you will not be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 07:19:21 pm »
Guy, all the information that you need about both HIV transmission and testing can be reached through the first thread in this section. Do yourself a favor and read them.

And it is true there has never been a confirmed case of transmission through brawling, slugging, fighting and other like incidents. We regularly hear from people who've had a like encounter. You aren't going to make history by becoming the first to become infected in that manner.

As a general rule it would be a good idea to avoid excessive drinking since it never seems to end in anything good, socially or sexually, for anyone.

You have no cause for further concern about this incident in relation to HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline guy

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 09:47:46 am »
This question kinda goes back to my original thread which I was told wasn't a risk, probably because I threw in some whatifs. This is mainly bothering me because this time the other person WAS really bleeding and it was a cut lip and not inside his mouth where saliva could not kill it. As we were walking for quite a while we shared cigarettes and a beer or two and it didn't dawn on me till the next day that there could have been blood shared. Is this considered an environmental transmission question. And if so, even the cdc website says there has never been environmental transmission of hiv. But I heard their data is outdated and they sometimes misinform the public in general. Do either of you Ann or Andy agree that I am still at no risk from this night?  Thanks in advance

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 09:50:34 am »
You didn't have a risk. There has never been an infection in that manner. period

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 10:44:07 am »
Yah, yah, yah. More details. And they don't change a thing. You were not at risk. Period. End of story.

Don't you have anything better to do with your life than to worry needlessly like this? No kidding.
Andy Velez

Offline guy

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 08:57:46 pm »
 Thanks for all your replies. I apologize for waisting your folks time.

Offline guy

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 07:06:19 pm »
Sorry to post again but I have a quick questions on the reason i wasn't at any risk from blood contact from my cut knuckle during a fight. Is it because you guys think he is hiv-? I know he has associated with iv drug users in the past but not sure if he's ever done that. Don't mean to bother, but I always think of the worst case scenarios in almost everything.  Thanks again

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 07:31:33 pm »
We're not going to rehash this again. You didn't have a risk and that's final.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 07:50:18 pm »
Guy,

Even if this guy was hiv positive (and we don't assume either way), you weren't at risk. Hiv needs very specific circumstances in order to be able to infect a new host - and from some guy's cut to your knuckles isn't one of them. Hiv transmission occurs INSIDE the body, not outside. If you got some of this guy's blood on your knuckles, it happened outside your body. Hiv is very fragile and it just doesn't remain intact and able to infect outside the body.

If you're so concerned about your hiv status, then all the posting on an internet forum will not give you a definite answer. Go get tested, collect your negative result and get it over with. Otherwise, find yourself a therapist with whom you can talk your worries over with. They're not grounded in hiv science.

There's nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline guy

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 09:02:15 pm »
In the lesson it says hiv enters through cuts, sores, or breaks in the skin which is WHY I think I had  good cause for concern, unless I misenterpreted something.

Offline guy

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 11:29:44 pm »
By the way, I'm going to give myself a personal timeout from this site for quite a while but really need to know why the transmission lesson you send people to read says hiv enters through open cuts and what not, but I am still told there is no risk?

Offline guy

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 07:44:17 am »
Any last comment just for piece of mind before I leave this site?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 07:50:51 am »
There is nothing more to add to what information that has already been given.

Offline guy

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 05:46:43 pm »
just back here to say thanks for your help a while ago when i came to this site. the moderators assured me enough to finally get tested which i did on Dec 10th 2008 and after my whole life of not knowing (34 years) the test came back negative. so after this huge relief a couple things happened that i hope to God didn't put me at a huge risk. The first one was this guy at work was telling me a story when all of a sudden a little spit landed in my eye. the only reason i'm freaking out is because earlier he said he was coughing up blood from ulcer and i think straight blood not mixed with saliva hit my eyeball and not to be mean but on top of that he has horrible oral hygeine. the other incident is the other day instead of high fiving these guys at a social place they like to bang fists instead. i didn't even think about it until the next day when i saw a cut on my knuckle which was most likely caused by another fist and worried that if they were cut i may have got blood in my cut. I'm more worried about blood in the eye episode more but what do any or all of you moderators think my overall risk of getting infected if any of these people had hiv? I'm gonna get tested in 6 weeks just for the initial one and hoping if it is negative one more in 12 weeks. Do you guys think I'm just overeacting again or do I have to worry about my tests coming up?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 06:18:07 pm »
You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV from spit to the eye, even if he had blood in his mouth. No more discussion of this issue.

Offline guy

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 06:31:39 pm »
I was more concerned about only blood from his ulcer not saliva mixed with blood. But my guess from reading how you post you'll most likely say no risk either. Later

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 06:34:26 pm »
Correct that is what I would have told you plus the following.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline guy

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 11:29:02 am »
 One more concern on my part before i take my ban or whatever. The other day i had a bleeding wound on my scalp from eczema and my friend who sleeps around alot and could care less about his health took my hat jokingly and put it on his head. I took it, put it back on and noticed he had scabs or pimples bleeding on his forehead. I'm real worried that the blood that got on my hat from him after i wore it again got into my bleeding cut and put me at risk. If he were to have hiv would this be a risk where i would have to wait to be tested? I'm wanting to get back with my ex girlfriend is the only reason i'm back to make sure i wasn't at risk worthy of having to wait another 3 months to tested again. I really want to get back with her soon but just to ask you guys if i'm not at any risk from this blood contact that's all, please? Ann, Andy, Rod?

Offline guy

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 09:21:15 pm »
 I am still hoping to hear from one of the moderators to whether I was put at any risk of contracting hiv from my exposure in my last question about the blood on my hat touching my wound on scalp if the blood had hiv. I really don't want to wait to get tested again but if i have to i will. I will also take my ban as long as a moderator judges my risk for me. Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 10:53:01 pm »
Again NO RISK. HIV is transmitted via unprotected anal and vaginal sex, sharing works with other IV drug abusers and from mother to child.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 07:59:47 am »
No, you were not at risk whatsoever in the manner you are concerned about. Rod has told you the ways in which transmission occurs.

HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted from surfaces such as a hat, doorknobs, furniture, scissors, toilet seats and other such surfaces in daily life. Period. You are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline guy

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 10:40:17 pm »
Ok, you know by now I have an obsessive fear of somehow getting hiv mostly from blood contacts. would just like 1 more risk assesment before i get timed out to get what you call face to face help with my phobia. was upset the other night ended up hitting my car ripping my knuckles open bleeding. Went out drinking around some very shady bars just to forget about thngs. Woke up the next day thinking somehow somebodies blood got into my cuts putting me at rsk. That's how my mind works I guess. If THIS or ANYTHING ELSE i've ever brought to you guys were absolutely not risks for hiv then do you think i will test negative at 6 and 13 weeks. I need to test again over these ayway to hopefully put all this to rest. I know, I definately need a timeout but just need words of encouragement before I get the tests.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 05:28:10 am »
guy,

Of course you didn't have a risk and of course you'll test negative.

Your hiv phobia is far outside the scope of this forum. I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline guy

Re: mouth/teeth causing cut
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »
 I accept the fact that all my other posts were about non risks but this one is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Was play fighting with this other guy not too long ago and ended up getting a bleeding cut on my arm so afterwards checked him for long fingernails and there were none. So what if cut was from his teeth and he had blood in mouth caused from us fighting. Is there a possibility this could be a risk? Remember, this is a different scenerio than my other posts so just don't ban me please I would just like to know.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 08:52:22 pm »
Like all your other post. NO RISK.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 07:31:19 am »
Guy,

This latest concern isn't "totally different" AT ALL. It's just the same as when you came here in September 2006 and asked about fighting. Not one person has ever been infected as a result of fighting and you won't be the first.

Don't even think about going on about your latest paranoid worry. You didn't have a risk and you'll be quickly timed out if you keep bringing it up.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.