Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:01:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trials and Tribulations of an Old Poz Queen  (Read 532925 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Trials and Tribulations of an Old Poz Queen
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:26:09 am »
I decided to tackle this hospital bill I got from JPS(Tarrant County Hospital) when I had my DVT/PE. I went to the admitting office where they do classifications and where, back in August, I had spent a day with Michelle, who told me that I had signed up for the monthly payment program. I advised that when I had signed that, I had been woken up, was groggy, scared, not knowing what was going on in my life, with my health, had 'died' and been brought back, was being told that my lungs were full of blood clots and that I could still 'die',  and then here was this lady going.."blah,blah,blah,.here sign," so I signed. So, upon release from the hospital, back in August 07, I told Michelle that I could not pay, was not working since the DVT and had lost my business/job and was filing for SSDI. I emptied my 'Life in a Bag" on her desk and told her to take what she needed, which she took my bank statements, retirement account and stocks and determined that I had too much money for assistance...at this time. As the money/assetts dwindled, come back in and she would reclassify me and get the debt taken care of.
So, there I was,today, 9 months later,  and this lady says, "oh, Michelle doesn't work here anymore, and we don't do that here anymore...0.0 ...you need to go to the financial building which is not even in the hopital anymore but in some building two blocks away. So, I go, as this building is also where you need to get reclassified, and I need to be classified to get this oral surgery done. (remember, the dental visit the other day?) So, I'm thinking that I am going to be super efficient and kill two birds with one stone. .. And there is a line from the front of the building to the back.   :-\So, I'm in line and to pass the time I start reading this paperwork and right there on the bottom it says," call to schedule an appointment." o.o....so I ask some people in line and I get verification that, yes, you have to have a scheduled appointment, So, I go to the parking lot and call, and sort of casually say" I need to schedule an appointment for today, in the next few minutes, if possible, as I'm out in your parking lot right now and what with gas being $3.50/gal I thought you might have an opening" ;D...so....I have an appointment on Saturday at 530pm to be reclassified for oral surgery(and this will be a referral from the Aids Clinic)  and hopefully a sweetheart will be there who can help me with this hospital bill because:
It is now gone to collection because I did not make a payment in February or March because I did not receive a billing statement from them, which is no excuse and I should have called. But, I say, I am not in my right mind as my toy box of life has been turned upside down and all of my toys have been scattered all over the floor and I can't find some of them...and I am just not thinking too clearly right now. ... just like at the time I signed that payment program...I was not in my right frame of mind to make an informed decision... :'(
And then some say, just blow it off, what can they do? and I say..".screw up my stellar credit rating that I have worked so hard for." and then I think, well, if it's gone to collections my credit score had probably already taken a hit... :'(
So, I check my credit score and it's still at 802 and I think, are detrimental hospital/medical bills shown on a credit score?....and then maybe, it hasn't had time to show up....and then, maybe I'm beating a dead horse....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:12:39 am by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Trials and Tribulations of an Old Poz Queen
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:23:08 am »
Wow, Rond.  What a tiring day.  I really don't know how to advise you about your hospital bill, because I would just personally not care.  But, that comes from me living on SSDI for years, and realizing my credit will never be what it was, and who cares anyway.  It's not like I'm in the market to buy a house, or car, or anything else.  I filed bankrupcy when I got on SSDI because I couldn't afford to pay my then-debts. 

But, I understand we're all at different points in our lives.  I agree that, you definitely weren't in the right frame of mind when you signed that paperwork about re-payment.  Do you have any of your medical records?  That might help. 

Yes, I remember the dentist appointment you had.  I hope you get that taken care of soon, to find out what exactly that spot is and to relieve your mind.  Good luck getting this mess sorted out and please let us know what happens.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:13:46 am »
Ron,

This really sounds like a big mess.   I hope you are able to meet with someone who can help you straighten it out.

Betty, it's amazing how similar my attitude about most things AIDS-related is to yours!  Like you, I filed for bankruptcy a long time ago, my credit will never be what it was.   Credit collectors are not nearly as aggravating now as they used to be, since the advent of caller ID.   Ignore them.   I quit worrying about medical bills eons ago.   I send $10 a month to my dental clinic to "keep me in good standing".

I used to have this great letter my caseworker at AID Atlanta provided me with back in the early 90's to send to creditors.  It said something to the effect of "I have an AIDS diagnosis.   SSDI is my only form of income, which cannot be garnished or attached in any way.   I am judgement-proof."  (or something along those lines)  It worked well for me.

Wishing you the best Ron.  :)

hugs, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline rondrond

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:40:36 am »
I like your caseworker. If you don't mind, ';ll just copy that down and add it to my 'repertoire' as I am organizing my defense against any onslaught of debt collectors as I have decided to not pay it and .".Katie, bar the door, and stop answering those 'out of area', 1-800 #'s, and if you do, I'm not home, and won't be home....you don't know where i'm at.....a suitcase seems to be missing... ;D

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:29:47 am by rondrond »

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:50:27 am »
Ron  so sorry to hear about the whole situation... especially the " make an appointment" thing where they then have you wait in line with 100 others who "made an appointment"   I have also found that if you can get through the "gate keepers " and ask specific questions before you go....like is this the person who can do......?  or do I need to see another person to do ......?  it usually cuts down the unnecessary trips/calls to those who can actually  "help"   and speeds up the whole issue.......I went through nearly a year of BS from SS when applying for disability  got wrong info from three persons before I was steered to correct person/office..."gatekeepers" job is to keep calls short and only answer direct questions...if you don't know enough to ask they don't volunteer....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline rondrond

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:01 am »
thank you pozniceguy,
I don't know why, but I know everything you have suggested and have used 'gatekeeper' skills when getiing help for my sisiter. Somehow, when it comes to helping myself, those skills just fall out my ear and onto the floor and I always think after I'm driving away and the street, "now why didn't I ask or do this or that?" for some reason it is just harder to do those things when its myself I'm doing for rather than for others..(you can be too close to the problem to see it clearly)
hmm. It seems that I am rambling and being incoherent, I can't find the words for my thoughts. :-\

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04:31 pm »
I agree with Alan.  Thank heavens for caller ID!  Those 800 calls do get ignored now; what are they going to do, really? 

Rond, I think we want to "fix" things for other people; and sometimes we work at it tirelessly.  Don't fret; after you've been in the system awhile, you'll learn how to do it for yourself also.  Afterall, we are our best advocates (most of the time).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:20:24 pm »
I agree with Alan.  Thank heavens for caller ID!  Those 800 calls do get ignored now; what are they going to do, really? 

Rond, I think we want to "fix" things for other people; and sometimes we work at it tirelessly.  Don't fret; after you've been in the system awhile, you'll learn how to do it for yourself also.  Afterall, we are our best advocates (most of the time).

betty you are spot on  :)......I've been in the system for the last 10 years, and I've learned a lotta things (at least how to get what I need)
it's not that hard to do, the trick is to have the system work for you, NOT let the system work you, it's bad enough just having AIDS and being SICK from it, the longer your in the system, it becomes a GREAT learning curve.......
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:24:08 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
So right, denb......you do have to WORK the system, and not let it work you over!

I have been lucky to have a good "teacher" to guide me through the maze and confusion that exists in this State.

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:20:40 pm »
So right, denb......you do have to WORK the system, and not let it work you over!

I have been lucky to have a good "teacher" to guide me through the maze and confusion that exists in this State.

It's like that EVERYWHERE...........(the maze and confusion).......it exists in just about ever State..........some states you have to be on a waiting list just to get ADAP!.........you could DIE before you even get them  :(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 03:21:25 am »
I completely understand about the maze and confusion you have to go through to get help.  In my case often the caseworkers aren't sure what to do at first since I don't qualify for SSDI.  I worked for a "quasi-government" agency (that's how it's offically listed) and didn't pay into Social Security.  I get railroad retirement disability which is just different enough to cause mass confusion when I encounter some new caseworker or financial department and their forms don't have a nice little box that I fit into.  I've gotten some hospital and doctors bills waived but others demand payment.  I just wish them luck in getting something from me that I don't have to give.

Good luck in getting this resolved and especially with your upcoming dentist appointment.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 06:49:41 am »
Thanks Andy,
my sister just says.."well, they can't get blood from a turnip"..

I seem to have had it pretty easy since my first walk-in at the Aids Outreach Center, to Aids Interfaith, to PMC(Preventative Medical Clinic at Tarrant County Health..everything has just flowed...everyone has been real nice and ..helpful..I haven't had to like wait in long lines with a crowd of angry, impatient people. My caseworker, Paula, is so wonderful...she helps with paperwork, and it goes through with no hitches, and she is available...I can call and if I get her machine, she returns my call within 10 minutes....and I have really been at ease with everything I have been asked to do. (I guess you could say that I have been spoiled rotten..in a way) This tooth and the resulting referral to an agency outside of their 'realm' has been a 'showstopper' and I am reminded that there is another side to the health system that is not pretty.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 10:21:38 am »
I completely understand about the maze and confusion you have to go through to get help.  In my case often the caseworkers aren't sure what to do at first since I don't qualify for SSDI.  I worked for a "quasi-government" agency (that's how it's offically listed) and didn't pay into Social Security.  I get railroad retirement disability which is just different enough to cause mass confusion when I encounter some new caseworker or financial department and their forms don't have a nice little box that I fit into.  I've gotten some hospital and doctors bills waived but others demand payment.  I just wish them luck in getting something from me that I don't have to give.

Good luck in getting this resolved and especially with your upcoming dentist appointment.

AA

How come you don't have MEDICARE? it pays 80%...........seems to me that your Railroad Retirement would qualify for that.........also depending on how much your RR is, you could also qualify STATE MEDICADE, they would pick up the 20% left over and would pay the MEDICARE PREMUIMS part A, B and D.........and I have RYAN WHITE, it takes care of all my dental needs.............also depending on your income, you could qualify for SEC 8 HUD rental assistance, that pays about almost half of your rent.............then, there's HEP, that pays for half of your gas & electric bill......all of this depends on just how low your imcome is.........I'm 150% to 200% below the federal poverty line, so I get most all of this help....and I'm Very Greatfull I do.........I would be Homeless if NONE of these services were there for me......................just a few things to consider?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 10:29:09 am »
Den, Andy does have Medicaid, but his spend-down is $900-something dollars/month.  We live in the same state (Indiana) and the system here is totally screwed.

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:36:19 am »
Den, Andy does have Medicaid, but his spend-down is $900-something dollars/month.  We live in the same state (Indiana) and the system here is totally screwed.

Yeah.........every State is different, depends on how well you local and State Govt. manages it Federal Funding............if INDIANA is that Bad, something is not RIGHT with how your State GOVT. runs things...........INDY must be firends with GW BUSH, and if that's the case, that's too bad
I hope your state Govt. gets better, if not, a lott more people with AIDS will DIE, and not get the fair treatmant and funding they need.......what a SHAME  :(  this really make me MAD  :-X
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:39:56 am by denb45 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:57 am »
Yeah.........every State is different, depends on how well you local and State Govt. manages it Federal Funding............if INDIANA is that Bad, something is not RIGHT with how your State GOVT. runs things...........INDY must be firends with GW BUSH, and if that's the case, that's too bad
I hope your state Govt. gets better, if not, a lott more people with AIDS will DIE, and not get the fair treatmant and funding they need.......what a SHAME  :(  this really make me MAD  :-X

Well Den, here in Hoosierville, our governor (Mitch "the Bitch" Daniels) sold all the state welfare agencies to private companies.  Therefore, now we have seven different kinds of Medicaid that no one can figure out.  Oh and of course, Daniels is a staunch Republican; totally right-wing.

Offline denb45

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 11:09:51 am »
Well Den, here in Hoosierville, our governor (Mitch "the Bitch" Daniels) sold all the state welfare agencies to private companies.  Therefore, now we have seven different kinds of Medicaid that no one can figure out.  Oh and of course, Daniels is a staunch Republican; totally right-wing.

That's SAD.......... :'(  in the State I live in New Mexico........if you make less than $2,200 a month........your POOR............that's right anything less than that, your livivng in POVERTY...........I make 1,400 a month ( and that's not much)....so I'm WAY BELOW in State Poverty Level about $800 SHORT.........so, I can get a lotta help & assitance ,I just couldn't IMAGINE what it would be like to make anything less than what I do, it would be HELL to live on anything less   :-[
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:36:26 am by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 01:11:30 pm »
If I get what this annual statement I get from Social Security every year says: If you are disabled, you will recieve $$$$$$...I will be ok.....that is if I get SSDI before my accounts hit 000.000.... :( and then goes into the negative.. :'( 

Well, this Gabapentin..I don't know. My toes are still numb, and it has been almost a month now (geez, time flies) Every time I see the Dr I chirrup.."my toes are still numb"..and they do not raise the dosage. Maybe they know something I don't because :

yesterday, I started noticing that my right foot (which has the numb toes (and my DVT was on the right leg) especially along the big toe to the ball of my foot is starting to have sharp spasms. Today it has been going on for the last 2 hours. Each spasm lasts about 20 seconds...I lift my heel and push the ball of my foot into the floor which seems to bring almost instant relief (playing doctor ron,  here) So, could this be the Gabapentin trying to do its job, or is it just going to be something else my aging body has decided to torment me with?(congratulations, you turned 55 in March...here's a belated birthday gift..sPasM)...next doctor appointment is May 15th...I guess if this keeps up, I will have to make a call...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 05:11:23 pm »
If I get what this annual statement I get from Social Security every year says: If you are disabled, you will recieve $$$$$$...I will be ok.....that is if I get SSDI before my accounts hit 000.000.... :( and then goes into the negative.. :'( 

CORRECTION to my last post  ;D

The MAX SSDI benefit (back in 1998) that you can get is 1,499 a month....even if you made more than 50K a yr. like I did, when I worked 10 yrs ago.........so, thats about all you will get...SSDI will NOT pay you anymore than then the cut-off! ( whatever that is TODAY).....and it vaires by what State you lived in when you applied for SSDI....I got my SSDI  when I lived in CALIF. so, based on the 55K a Yr. I made for the last 20 yrs. I worked,  (back in 1998...that was my SSDI benefit amount) so, that is what they go buy.....your SSDI benefit amount may be a lot more and VERY different form what mine was  by TODAY's Standards and SSDI Guide lines :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 08:07:17 pm by denb45 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 10:33:11 pm »
I only get $783 in SSDI, but I've been on it since 1994, and didn't make a huge amount of money then.  Yes, it's very tough. 

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 10:58:48 pm »
I only get $783 in SSDI, but I've been on it since 1994, and didn't make a huge amount of money then.  Yes, it's very tough. 

Yes but, you can get a whole lotta HELP, just by making only that.........if you know who to talk to ,and where to get it from  ;D

1. HUD Housing SEC 8 Rental HELP
2. Meicare part A, B, D
3.State Medicade, they will pay for your Medicare Premiums
4.Medicare Part D.....will pay for all of your MEDS, it's called extra help
5.ADAP the FED program, where you can get your MEDS for FREE, if you don't have medicare
6.HOPWA....they can help you with your rent up to 600 a month or more
7. Your local ASO, most of them have a FOOD BANK & Free services to people w/ AIDS......RYAN WHITE!
8. Your local State Welfare & Human service office.they can help you with your Gas & electric bills.........if you cannot pay them & Food Stamps too

just to name a few, there are a lot of other services too, but the list is WAY to long to memtion here  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:10:58 pm by denb45 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 11:07:16 pm »
Yes but, you can get a whole lotta HELP, just by making only that.........if you know who to talk to ,and where to get it from  ;D

Well, here in Indiana, I do have Medicaid.  However, I have a $130/month spend-down (so I have to pay out $130 month medical expenses before Medicaid will pick up anything).  I have a co-pay on my Medicare Part D plan for the meds, which I really cannot afford.  Medicaid will not cover what Medicare Part D doesn't cover on the meds, and I'm not eligible for ADAP or Ryan White because of having Medicaid.  It's really a fuck-fest.  Luckily, most (read: most) doctors I see will write off what Medicare doesn't pay.  The ones that won't well, too bad for them. 

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 11:14:10 pm »
Well, here in Indiana, I do have Medicaid.  However, I have a $130/month spend-down (so I have to pay out $130 month medical expenses before Medicaid will pick up anything).  I have a co-pay on my Medicare Part D plan for the meds, which I really cannot afford.  Medicaid will not cover what Medicare Part D doesn't cover on the meds, and I'm not eligible for ADAP or Ryan White because of having Medicaid.  It's really a fuck-fest.  Luckily, most (read: most) doctors I see will write off what Medicare doesn't pay.  The ones that won't well, too bad for them. 

DAMM..............sounds like your in the so called donut hole HELL............maybe you should MOVE outta INDIANA..that sure doesn't sound like a place I would want to live in  :'( you should look into what's called EXTRA HELP, medicare part D, it sounds like you could get that to help with the co-pays for your Meds, I sure would find out if I were you  ??? ask your local ASO about how you can get EXTRA HELP, they should know how to get it for you?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:19:55 pm by denb45 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 11:16:45 pm »
DAMM..............sounds like your in the so called donut hole HELL............maybe you should MOVE outta INDIANA..that sure doesn't sound like a place I would want to live in  :'(

Many people across the U.S. struggle with this sort of frustration.  Whatcha gonna do?  Just keep going on and being orinary. ;)

Offline denb45

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 11:28:14 pm »
Many people across the U.S. struggle with this sort of frustration.  Whatcha gonna do?  Just keep going on and being orinary. ;)

Well for starters.........Apply for the services.....in the early 90's people fought long & hard to make them available for us to use........most of the people that did this are now DEAD  :'(........these services are YOURS, so you might as well use them, that is what they are for, get thur all the bullshit & RED TAPE, you have to be persistant, if you don't ask, nobody will care, it's up to you to get all that you can outta the system  ;D it takes a lotta phone calls, follow up's and some leg work, no body is just going to HAND them to you, YOU have to go GET THEM for your self ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:30:27 pm by denb45 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 11:38:33 pm »
Betty you are so right ... Indiana sucks.  Yes, I have to pay $942.00 everything month out of my disability check to pay for Indiana Medicaid.  I have applied for Medicare and have been approved but I won't actually start receiving Medicaid until June 09.  There is a 30 month period before it kicks in.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 11:45:02 pm »
Betty you are so right ... Indiana sucks.  Yes, I have to pay $942.00 everything month out of my disability check to pay for Indiana Medicaid.  I have applied for Medicare and have been approved but I won't actually start receiving Medicaid until June 09.  There is a 30 month period before it kicks in.

WHAT!!! That's sick  :-[ something isn't RIGHT in INDIANA.............so, what the hell are you suppose to do untill then?  ??? I don't get medicaid
all they do is pay for my medicare part A, B and D extra help, so, SSDI won't deduct it form my monthly beneift......that right, I get the $130 a month cuz it's paid by medicaid.............I don't get anything else form them, cuz, I make too much money for anything else :) all medicaid does is pay the premuims every month for me  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:51:19 pm by denb45 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 11:51:17 pm »
WHAT!!! That's sick  :-[ something isn't RIGHT in INDIANA.............so, what the hell are you suppose to do untill then?  ???

I ask myself that question all the time ... then I turn to cookies & TV and try not think about it too much.  There is very little that is right about Indiana ... but since my stupid relatives all live here I choose to live nearby.  I also don't want to move and then have to try and qualify for another states medicaid and worry about what I do during a coverage gap.

Offline denb45

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 11:54:49 pm »
I ask myself that question all the time ... then I turn to cookies & TV and try not think about it too much.  There is very little that is right about Indiana ... but since my stupid relatives all live here I choose to live nearby.  I also don't want to move and then have to try and qualify for another states medicaid and worry about what I do during a coverage gap.

YES I know how that go's back in 2001, when I moved to New Mexico, there was a 3 month GAP in MEDS and services...and it was HELL getting any help back then, but, I SAVED some money before I moved, and was lucky to get a 3 month supply of MEDS form Medical in CALIF. so it wasn't all that bad as it sounds ;) would I ever move back to CALIF.............HELL NO, that place is the PITS
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:56:22 pm by denb45 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 12:02:23 am »
YES I know how that go's back in 2001, when I moved to New Mexico, there was a 3 month GAP in MEDS and services...and it was HELL getting any help back then, but, I SAVED some money before I moved, and was lucky to get a 3 month supply of MEDS form Medical in CALIF. so it wasn't all that bad as it sounds ;) would I ever move back to CALIF.............HELL NO, that place is the PITS

Smart Man!  I usually don't think about moving too much other than in winter when it's really nasty here.  I've always liked Seattle maybe I'll have to look into what Washington does for us poor folk.  Until then I'll keep hoping for a change in the way Indiana runs things.

Offline denb45

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 12:08:21 am »
Smart Man!  I usually don't think about moving too much other than in winter when it's really nasty here.  I've always liked Seattle maybe I'll have to look into what Washington does for us poor folk.  Until then I'll keep hoping for a change in the way Indiana runs things.

New Mexico is a GREAT place to live it's VERY LIBERAL HERE!! and Very DEMOCRATIC too  ;) most of the MOIVES and TV shows that you see are all made Right here in Albuquerque at the NEW  STATE OF THE ART STUDIOS on the west side, nice weather here too, sunshine 300 days a yr.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:12:51 am by denb45 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 12:22:18 am »
New Mexico is a GREAT place to live it's VERY LIBERAL HERE!! and Very DEMOCRATIC too  ;) most of the MOIVES and TV shows that you see are all made Right here in Albuquerque at the NEW  STATE OF THE ART STUDIOS on the west side, nice weather here too, sunshine 300 days a yr.

You could work for the New Mexico tourism board.   Sorry rond, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Hugs,
AA

Offline denb45

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 12:25:57 am »
You could work for the New Mexico tourism board.   Sorry rond, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Hugs,
AA

;)

Offline rondrond

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 12:38:24 am »

Hugs,
AA

Hey, I don't mind. I love learning about exotic and faraway places. I also like learning about survival techniques. Since it appears that I'm going to live , I need all the help I can get.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 07:03:38 am »
Smart Man!  I usually don't think about moving too much other than in winter when it's really nasty here. 

Yes, Andy, I always contemplate moving in the winter also.  Indiana winters suck.  I have a lot of friends here, though. 

Well for starters.........Apply for the services.....in the early 90's people fought long & hard to make them available for us to use........most of the people that did this are now DEAD  :'(........these services are YOURS, so you might as well use them, that is what they are for, get thur all the bullshit & RED TAPE, you have to be persistant, if you don't ask, nobody will care, it's up to you to get all that you can outta the system  ;D it takes a lotta phone calls, follow up's and some leg work, no body is just going to HAND them to you, YOU have to go GET THEM for your self ;)

Yes, I was among those in the 90's, Den.  Unfortunately, here in Hoosierville, you can kick, scream and beg and you're only eligible for so much.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:59 pm »
Oh Lord...'normalcy' is changing in my household again. Katie is getting a new wheechair today. It has been only been 6 months ago that we called and reported that the one we had was falling apart. Now..TA DA... and the phone rings and shatters the serene calm of my morning 'alone' time and ..they're here, outside, and need me to move my truck, and open the garage, and Katie is still in bed and it takes her an hour just to get out of bed and now, after a lot of exertion and manipulation from 'her brother' (when company is over or she's talking on the phone and "I" come up, she doesn't use my name...it's always  'my brother')  she is in this thing that looks for all the world like a miniature volkwagen and I'm.."don't sign, we have to test drive the thing"...so she is going through her 'day' only it is being fast forwarded  and compressed in to however long we can keep this delivery woman at bay.(because she needs a signature)..so I make her go to the toilet and get in and out of bed and drive it down the ramp and up the driveway.and she is giving little screams (which always jangle my nerves) and exclaiming that she feels that she is falling out, and I'm "it's the new cushion ..you'll customize it in no time"..and she's "ha  ha"...and coming up the ramp, she leans the back ..back as the seat belt is too small..(have to order an extension) and the chair starts to tilt back and she is screaming and the lady is freaking out, ...and we have just learned something...you can't have the back back when you go up an incline...and Katie is crying, uncontrollably (which always jangles my nerves) because she had not had any of her meds up to and including that 'Happy Pill' which I can't find...because she needs that happy pill , quick... and she is transferring  from  the bed to the chair and screaming because she has missed the new chair(she is hanging half in and half out)  and is going to fall on the floor, which is a nono as she is 400libs and it would take another visit from the River Oaks Fire Department to get her off the floor. (Which I wouldn't mind too terribly as they are all hunks, but I haven't showered, and my hair is a mess and I ahaven't shaved or brushed my teeth...) And I get under her and PUSH and now she is in the chair and the door bell is ringing and my back is not pleased with me, my bum leg is not pleased with me and now Cookie is here and I give her a quick synopsis..."she hasn't had her meds..especially that happy pill....so now she has finally stopped crying and we are getting used to her new car..err wheechair...and I feel jilted, because I missed my 'alone' time and the day is in FULL swing.....and my nerves are starting to settle down...and I'm thinking 'I'm her caregiver...how much longer am I going to be able to function in this role? And I had a brief visualization of two crazy old biddies, cackling and screaming at each other...I might need a 'nerve tonic'....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:15:18 pm by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 12:50:18 pm »
Rond, after reading that, I don't know whether to cry or laugh.  You made it sound humerous, at least. 

Offline rondrond

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 12:55:18 pm »
well, I choose ...laughter...it beats crying...unless you laugh until you cry...which I haven't done in a long long time...I miiss it.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 01:02:19 pm »
Oh Rond, you poor thing! Sounds like you could use a "happy pill" yourself today, along with a good back massage and a comfortable easy-chair to relax into afterwards.

Here's hoping your sister's new car... er... wheelchair works out and you find her pills!

Now go do something nice for you - you've deserved it today!

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 03:23:43 pm »
I agree with Betty, Ron, your last post was funny but also sad.  You sound like a great brother, tho.

New Mexico sounds beautiful, is it humid hot or just hot hot?

I recently got a case manager at the local ASO  and in order for them to give you any food assistance you have to go around to all the food banks and have them write you a letter saying that you have gotten food from the food bank? Unfortunately,  I think so many people have screwed the system, they have us jumping through hoops now. Oh, the other one is in order for them to help you with your electric bill, you have to change your light bulbs and something else to ensure that you won't need help again next month?  Does that sound strange to anyone else?  What happens if you don't have a car to go to the food banks?  What are you supposed to do bring in your old light bulbs for them to see? :-\
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline denb45

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:58 pm »
I agree with Betty, Ron, your last post was funny but also sad.  You sound like a great brother, tho.

New Mexico sounds beautiful, is it humid hot or just hot hot?

I recently got a case manager at the local ASO  and in order for them to give you any food assistance you have to go around to all the food banks and have them write you a letter saying that you have gotten food from the food bank? Unfortunately,  I think so many people have screwed the system, they have us jumping through hoops now. Oh, the other one is in order for them to help you with your electric bill, you have to change your light bulbs and something else to ensure that you won't need help again next month?  Does that sound strange to anyone else?  What happens if you don't have a car to go to the food banks?  What are you supposed to do bring in your old light bulbs for them to see? :-\
Snow

New Mexico is very Beautiful..........it get's kinda cold in the winter (can get as cold as 8 below), but it hardly EVER snows or get's that way tho, The winters here don't last very long , about 2 months or so, Spring isn't very long about 2 to 3 months with TEMPS in the 60's & 70's..........Summer isn't that HOT it only get's about 75 to 85 degrees.........but in late AUG. it rains a lot and can get very Humid, but only last for about 1 to 2 months

It's that way EVERY WHERE NOW...........Our Food Bank, almost has NO FOOD in it, and most people don't even qaulify for it (you have to make less than 500 to 600 a month to even use it) I can't use it..I make too much! as for your Gas & Electric Bills go's the program is called "LIHEP" and you have to go to the Welfare office to qauify for it.........I've use it before, but, it's not much (only about 60 to 80 dollars) for 3 months, and I make too much for get any of it NOW ( they go by what you make and who lives with you, that's right they count other household members income too)
.......the thing about the light bulbs.you said, I'm still ROFLOL over that one  ;D.................it was too funny.........LOL

Offline rondrond

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 11:00:47 pm »
Well, once the day is in motion, it is in motion. I went to the bank to deposit some money in Katie's account so she could pay some bills. After leaving the bank I called her to have her verify online that the deposit was in her account as it was her account and for securtity reasons they did not even give me a deposit slip so I I could verify it had been put in the right account..and......Mom said "ronnie, this is your Mother".....well, that stopped me and I was flabbergasted...and after awhile I said "oh...well...so...how are you?....and hows your day?" and she said "do you want me to call Katie and tell her?" and I said ok...as I was on the way to the grocery store and driving down the freeway..and was suddenly very confused .and after hanging up..I shed a few tears as this is the third time in the past 2 months that I have called Moms number thinking I was calling somewhere else and it is concerning me enough to shed a few tears over it. So, I bought myself a new shirt and was looking at sandals, but did not like what was available, and bought some bermuda grass seed to reseed the front yard as the drought has really done a number on it. So that will be my next project....and

dang it..I just realized that it has now been more that 2 weeks since I started Truvada/Virumane and I was taking only one Virumane for two weeks and then supposed to start taking two and that was on May 1...ok...so tomorrow morning I will start taking two and call on Monday and see if this is going to be a bad thing...I am really getting worried about my memory.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:02:59 pm by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 11:27:17 pm »
Well, once the day is in motion, it is in motion. I went to the bank to deposit some money in Katie's account so she could pay some bills. After leaving the bank I called her to have her verify online that the deposit was in her account as it was her account and for securtity reasons they did not even give me a deposit slip so I I could verify it had been put in the right account..and......Mom said "ronnie, this is your Mother".....well, that stopped me and I was flabbergasted...and after awhile I said "oh...well...so...how are you?....and hows your day?" and she said "do you want me to call Katie and tell her?" and I said ok...as I was on the way to the grocery store and driving down the freeway..and was suddenly very confused .and after hanging up..I shed a few tears as this is the third time in the past 2 months that I have called Moms number thinking I was calling somewhere else and it is concerning me enough to shed a few tears over it. So, I bought myself a new shirt and was looking at sandals, but did not like what was available, and bought some bermuda grass seed to reseed the front yard as the drought has really done a number on it. So that will be my next project....and

dang it..I just realized that it has now been more that 2 weeks since I started Truvada/Virumane and I was taking only one Virumane for two weeks and then supposed to start taking two and that was on May 1...ok...so tomorrow morning I will start taking two and call on Monday and see if this is going to be a bad thing...I am really getting worried about my memory.....

rondrond..............don't worry about such things.........you are only one person, so you can only do so much........ya know? somethings have a way of working themsleves out.................after 22 yrs of having AIDS and being on every kinda med that you can think of......I just take things one-day-at-a-time..........in the end.it all seems to work out.......you'll see , it gets better with time ;) I have good days, and bad days too ;D

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:30:29 pm by denb45 »

Offline VM-Bass

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 01:42:15 am »
I am so sorry to hear of all your troubles.  I know very well the crap you have to go through at JPS: I go there for treatment as well.  It doesn't help that they seem to be making money hand over fist and not using it to help their patients.   ???  News article about the screwed up system

I agree with the sage advice of the other people here.  Don't worry about the bills, take some time out for yourself, and take it one day at a time.

Sending love and peace your way...a fellow Tarrant County resident   :)
1/11/08                  4/14/08         6/12/08

CD4: 927                    838               883
CD4%: 42                    40                 47
Viral Load: 2170           926               173

The friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel...
---Shakespeare

Offline rondrond

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 04:24:28 am »
Thanks denb, here lately , the bad days are hustling in and shortening the good days.. ;D

bass, I hadn't seen that article yet, just heard about it. Kinda makes me want to carry it around to my appointments and casually lay it in plain sight like  "I know what you did last summer".....mwa ha ha ha.... ;D

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 06:13:10 am »
Rond, I'm understanding more and more why people make themselves notes about what they want to remember.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 08:51:44 am »
Oh Betty... I know.  I don't dare go to the store without a list or else I will wander aimlessly down every aisle waiting for 'inspiration' to hit me...it usually hits me in the form of hardcore 'impulse' buying...".oohh..this looks good....We've never tried this..mmmm..... chocolate."  and when I get home, find that I did not get anything we really needed and have to go back. :-\ With that list in hand, I can get in and get out without all the other temptations...("just say no")  ;D
They are fixing to open a new Super Target Store here by Ridgemar Mall, which I live down the road from. It will be across from The Super Walmart they have just opened last year. I am predicting a 'price war'  and am having visions of filling  my bare cupboards with bargains galore.  :D

I now have sticky notes all over the place to remind me of this reclassification appointment.(I've already forgot about it twice and if not for the notes, my goose would be cooked.  Something about it bothers me...*it's on a Saturday...never heard of an admin office open on the weekend...*it's at such an odd hour..530pm....not only never experienced admin open on Saturday, but open after 5pm, and on a weekend?.... ???
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:54:14 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2008, 09:27:16 am »
I make lists too, but rarely remember to bring them with me  :-\

Good advice to take one day at a time.  You do have a lot on your plate and these things are going to happen. 

Can you call to confirm that appointment, it does sound strange.  I was so proud of myself for seeing my son had an eye appointment the day of the appointment.  So, He and I show up at the right time and  he didn't have a appointment?  It was the reminder card from the year before ???  They had re-sent them all out, I was probably the only one that didn't notice the wrong year.

Take care!
Snow

Offline rondrond

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2008, 10:27:40 am »
oh, no..snow...last year?....well, you have to laugh at that. When the water department was doing their inspections of the neighborhood, I was arguing a point on our water consumption with him on the water bill and Katie goes.."ahem...that's last years bill." ..??.oh...never mind....sigh.

Yeah, it's today, saturday,  cause they called yesterday to confirm. Maybe they will be all laid back and casual... 8)

I got Mom one of those cards that you can record a message and we can't think of a thing to say we haven't already said... :-[
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:31:45 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2008, 10:46:42 am »
Geez, they must be really backed up!  Good luck with that, hopefully it will go your way!

What does the outside of the card say?
I will be 37 in Sept and I still make my own cards either with pics or whatever.  I know, corny, but my mother enjoys it :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.