Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:15:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 233
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone switched from Atripla to.......  (Read 3761 times)

Offline keegancassidy83

• Diagnosed Feb 2010
Anyone switched from Atripla to.......
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:46:31 pm »
hey, im on Atripla(x7 nights) and the more research i do it says how strong, toxic it is and to start HAART normally a DR. will prescribe a drug less debiletating on your CNS..... ive heard good things about Truvada + isentress (my labs as of  6/10 CD4 is 712     41% but my VL is 1,005,000)
    i works nights 3p till 1130 pm so when i get home i gotta take my pill at midnight, even if im hungry....now i got 1.5 hours till i turn into a zombie so i have to get to bed then awake 8am for school, lol life sucks!!!
wat happenes if i have a party, or a concert which i have comming up in 3 weeks, if im out at midnight ill have to skip a dose if i wanna drive home? :-[

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Anyone switched from Atripla to.......
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »
hey, im on Atripla(x7 nights) and the more research i do it says how strong, toxic it is and to start HAART normally a DR. will prescribe a drug less debiletating on your CNS..... ive heard good things about Truvada + isentress (my labs as of  6/10 CD4 is 712     41% but my VL is 1,005,000)
    i works nights 3p till 1130 pm so when i get home i gotta take my pill at midnight, even if im hungry....now i got 1.5 hours till i turn into a zombie so i have to get to bed then awake 8am for school, lol life sucks!!!
wat happenes if i have a party, or a concert which i have comming up in 3 weeks, if im out at midnight ill have to skip a dose if i wanna drive home? :-[

There are 4 standard "first line" regimens right now

1) Atripla

2) Isentress + Truvada

3) Norvir + Reyataz + Truvada

4) Norvir + Prezista + Truvada

As long as your virus has no resistances to them all of them should be pretty much equally effective, but with differing side effects and dosing schemes.  Atripla is prescribed first usually because of its once daily dosing making it the easiest to remember.  A lot of the members here seem to think Isentress and Truvada is the best regimen in regards to side effects because it lacks a strong side effect profile but it is a twice daily regimen.

There's actually an article on Thebody somewhere that discusses the pros and cons of each regimen in more detail, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Offline keegancassidy83

• Diagnosed Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:08:54 pm »
thanx....yea i dont mind a 2x a day pill if i cant stop acting like a zombie out of night of the living dead, im just too spacey  i was hoping to switch to truvada+ isentress as long as its not the same feelings

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:06 pm »
this is kinda of repeat of what i posted in the other thread:

I'm a firm believer that you have got to try at least a couple weeks to adapt to a med; but in the worse case scenario, there are plenty of other choices than Atripla nowadays. I just wanted keegan to not give up too early and to also know he's got plenty of options ;)

(my labs as of  6/10 CD4 is 712     41% but my VL is 1,005,000)
I would have to suggest that the Atripla is working like mad to knock down that huge viral load, and it's no wonder you're still having some side effects. There's probably a big change happening in your system during the past 7 days and you should probably let the med do it's thing rather than already giving up on it while it's probably working.

it says how strong, toxic it is and to start HAART normally a DR. will prescribe a drug less debiletating on your CNS
that's not really true. Atripla is not neccesarily "strong", nor is it "toxic", and it is probably the number one therapy prescribed to the newly-diagnosed during the last 3 yrs.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:13:24 pm »
thanx....yea i dont mind a 2x a day pill if i cant stop acting like a zombie out of night of the living dead, im just too spacey  i was hoping to switch to truvada+ isentress as long as its not the same feelings

Well like leatherman said in another thread I would give atripla at minimum 2 weeks and more like 3 weeks to a month before you pass judgment on it.  Also I believe when switching meds you want to achieve an undetectable viral load first.

This article pretty much echoes what I just said but doesn't mention the undetectable viral load.

http://www.treathiv.com/ontrack/switchingtreatment.html

Inchling might chime in if you're lucky he's very knowlegeable about this stuff.

Offline joeyg624

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:46 pm »
i was on atripla for one month and i must say, i only had the side effects for less than a week.  and as you can see from my numbers, its really doing what people say it will do... the only reason i switched is my prescription coverage is too low, but viraday is a genreic form of atripla... soi am hoping everything will still be fine three months from now, since i still have vivid dreams and the morning woody from viraday...
Apr 10 CD4 60 VL 256,000
May 10 CD4 130 VL 724
Aug 10 CD4 188  VL <75
Nov 10 CD4 170  VL <75
Mar 11 CD4 272 VL <48
Aug 11 CD4 272 VL <20
Nov 11 CD4 267 VL <20
Mar 12 CD4 297 VL <20
Nov 12 CD4 312 VL <20

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:46:22 pm »
I know atripla is not supposed to cause lipo, but the past year I've been on it I've had fat loss in my temple areas.  This now causes my veins to protrude whenever I work out, etc.  It could be aging but the coincidence is too great.  I'm going to talk to my doctor about a different regimen.
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline Billy B

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 12:41:04 pm »

I did because the Atripla was too much for me to handle. I could not sleep, eat or go out in public because I was so high (tripping). Three weeks was all I could stand of that craziness. I started I&T and went UD in six weeks.
I don't know if Atripla is easier for younger people to take, but at 50 my body did not deal well with the Sustiva.
All is good now,
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.