Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 374
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Movie and newly poz- this was a bad idea for me  (Read 13572 times)

hwy11poz

Movie and newly poz- this was a bad idea for me
« on: November 19, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »
I have always loved the movie version of RENT - and decided to watch it one night recently. It was the first time I watched it since being diagnosed poz, and the AIDS portions of the movie really got to me. I have to admit - I cried (a lot).

I know that treatment for HIV/AIDS has progressed a lot since the time in which the movie was set. But it was the first thing I think that I looked at through the eyes of a poz person, rather than just a person. So I'm wondering what other things might trigger such a big emotional response in me now.

Has anyone else found something that provoked a different response now that you are poz?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Movie and newly poz- this was a bad idea for me
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:19:33 am »
Ever see Brokeback Mountain? Having lost two partners, I cry damned near uncontrollably near the end. Now anytime I'm in the dumps and really want to have a good cry :'( to get it all out, I pop that movie into the DVD player.

I haven't watched "Jeffery" in a long time, I'll have to pull it out and see what I think about it after all these years.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

hwy11poz

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:27:58 am »
Ever see Brokeback Mountain? Having lost two partners, I cry damned near uncontrollably near the end. Now anytime I'm in the dumps and really want to have a good cry :'( to get it all out, I pop that movie into the DVD player.

I haven't watched "Jeffery" in a long time, I'll have to pull it out and see what I think about it after all these years.  ;)

Haven't seen Brokeback Mountain in a few years. Haven't seen "Jeffery" at all. I did tell one of my friends that someone is gonna be with me the next time I watch RENT. I could have used a good shoulder to cry on.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:12:11 am »
Well its a bit obscure, but the southpark creators did a really weird and wonderful movie called Team America. Its a musical with puppets about American Imperialism.  But the opening is huge broadway production number called "Everyone's Got Aids".  It's freaking hilarious.  Before I was infected.  I still think its funny but its not the same. 
For what it's worth, safe sex billboards make me sad now.  Got nothing against safesex, just the messages in the campaigns can be a bit heavy once you are positive.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline rmgjunk

• Blue Lantern Corps!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:01:37 am »
What a coincidence, just yesterday I had a similar experience watching a documentary here in Brazil, about a famous Brazilian singer, Cazuza, who died of aids on 1990:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cazuza

http://images.google.com.br/images?hl=pt-BR&source=hp&q=cazuza&btnG=Pesquisar+imagens&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

I didn't cry, though... My reactions are different, I guess.  A mix of nostalgia, anxiety, the felling I should have lived more, that I must live more, that life is too short and I'm wasting it, that I should just go crazy and explode like a nova... I'm not new to these feelings, but they were more common when I was younger.  They came back after my diagnosis, maybe I feel young again :-)

This movie left me awake a whole night after I watched it, the "nova feeling" wouldn't wash out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0227277/

My reaction to brokeback was a little different, I felt "claustrophobic", like there was no way out of that damn fate!

[]s
Roger
14-Sep-2009 Tested positive
Last labs: VL <47, CD4 441/29%
Current meds: AZT, 3TC, Nevirapine

hwy11poz

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:08:45 am »
Well its a bit obscure, but the southpark creators did a really weird and wonderful movie called Team America. Its a musical with puppets about American Imperialism.  But the opening is huge broadway production number called "Everyone's Got Aids".  It's freaking hilarious.  Before I was infected.  I still think its funny but its not the same. 
For what it's worth, safe sex billboards make me sad now.  Got nothing against safesex, just the messages in the campaigns can be a bit heavy once you are positive.

My list of things to watch is getting longer. This one, and for some reason, I just thought about the "I'm gay" parody of the "FAME" movie. That was hilarious as well.

hwy11poz

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:15:43 am »
What a coincidence, just yesterday I had a similar experience watching a documentary here in Brazil, about a famous Brazilian singer, Cazuza, who died of aids on 1990:

I looked at the image link  you posted. He was a gorgeous man before the disease ravaged him.

On the emotional front, I have been experiencing a whole range of emotions. Fortunately, most of them have been good ones. The people I am finding here are also helping me to understand and have hope.

Offline rmgjunk

• Blue Lantern Corps!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 05:40:16 pm »
Hi hwy,

I looked at the image link  you posted. He was a gorgeous man before the disease ravaged him.

He was a gorgeous man indeed, and a wonderful poet.  He was also the first high profile Brazilian (that I remember of) to come out about his HIV status.  He kept composing and singing while he could.  He was very brave and very brilliant, that's the message behind his life.

On the emotional front, I have been experiencing a whole range of emotions. Fortunately, most of them have been good ones. The people I am finding here are also helping me to understand and have hope.

Yeah, me too.  Some days I'm alright, some days I feel like shit.  I'm very glad I found this forum too.  I also found a support group in my area and went to my first meeting on Wednesday, can't wait for the next one.

I'm also waiting for my next VL, the first after I started meds... Should be ready on Monday (fingers crossed for us both!).  Although we aren't lucky we got HIV, we're lucky we got it now and not in the 80s...

[]s
Roger
14-Sep-2009 Tested positive
Last labs: VL <47, CD4 441/29%
Current meds: AZT, 3TC, Nevirapine

Offline justaguy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 09:02:14 pm »
I have always loved the movie version of RENT - and decided to watch it one night recently. It was the first time I watched it since being diagnosed poz, and the AIDS portions of the movie really got to me. I have to admit - I cried (a lot).

I know that treatment for HIV/AIDS has progressed a lot since the time in which the movie was set. But it was the first thing I think that I looked at through the eyes of a poz person, rather than just a person. So I'm wondering what other things might trigger such a big emotional response in me now.

Has anyone else found something that provoked a different response now that you are poz?

Oddly enough, "Boys on the Side" was the first movie I saw post-diagnosis that had an HIV + character.  It had never even occurred to me before, but when I saw it a few months ago, I couldn't believe it.  So strange.  In the end, they fast forward into the future, and her character is gone - made me really kind of sad, and I'm not usually one to get sad over TV or movies.

Also, I was watching an old episode of QAF the other night - where Michael and his BF are trying to save the teenage hustler.  It was the episode where they find out he's HIV positive, and they go tell him.  I swear, they said "YOu're gonna be ok, your viral load is undetectable!"  I wondered how they could possibly know that since the boy himself was just finding out his status and obviously hadn't started meds??  LOL 

Estimated infection: 3/2008
Tested HIV positive: 3/31/2009
CD4 136/unknown %/VL 150,000: 4/6/2009
Started Atripla 4/17/2009
CD4 255/19%/VL 409 5/27/2009
CD4 247/??/VL 161 6/27/2009
CD4 257/21%/VL 60 7/22/2009
CD4 352/22%/VL Undetectable 10/21/2009
CD4 490/27%/VL Undetectable 2/15/2010
CD4 397/?/VL Undetectable 7/2/2010

hwy11poz

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 11:14:56 pm »
Oddly enough, "Boys on the Side" was the first movie I saw post-diagnosis that had an HIV + character.  It had never even occurred to me before, but when I saw it a few months ago, I couldn't believe it.  So strange.  In the end, they fast forward into the future, and her character is gone - made me really kind of sad, and I'm not usually one to get sad over TV or movies.

I think so much depends on the eyes we look through - and our eyes are changed forever once we are diagnosed.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 10:20:16 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longtime_Companion

Longtime Companion was one of the first HIV movies I watched.  I didn't cry but it was certainly an eye opener. 

I think one of the impacts of being HIV+ is that it has made me more aware of how precious each day is.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Dale Parker

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 02:35:28 pm »
The movie that does it for me is the documentary on Freddie Mercury of rock band Queen fame.  I've always loved Queen's music. Towards the end of the documentary Freddie's lover says "at the end Freddie was in a lot of pain".  That phrase not only sends a shiver down my spine it actually haunts me.  I can be doing something totally unrelated and that phrase will pop into my head and creep me out. At least 10 times a week that phrase will interupt my thoughts.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Offline nixsmail

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 03:18:50 pm »
for me there are two movies that i have seen both before and after dx. It's My Party and Philadelphia, the first with Eric Roberts and the second with Tom Hanks. Cried through both, both before and after. Before dx because i've lost several friends, some close and some not so close, to this disease. After because i can relate to their situation AND because of my losses. just my 2 cents.
09/05/07 Officially diagnosed +4yrs at the time
11/06/07 CD4 624 (18%) VL 43,200
05/04/09 CD4 272 (15%) VL 521,190
06/10/09 CD4 127 (13%) VL 626,376 Started Truvada/Prezista/Norvir
07/15/09 CD4 849 (20%) VL 379
09/09/09 CD4 594 (21%) VL 68
01/28/10 CD4 706 (23%) VL 127
05/27/10 CD4 655 (22%) VL 322
07/29/10 CD4 750 (22%) VL 220
10/22/10 CD4 669 (23%) VL 65
12/27/10 CD4 720 (24%) VL 270
03/08/11 CD4 644 (23%) VL 631
07/27/11 CD4 694 (23%) VL <20
03/09/12 CD4 601 (20%) VL UND
11/07/12 CD4 693 (23%) VL UND
04/17/13 CD4 559 (23%) VL UND
11/07/13 CD4 846 (24%) VL UND
03/28/14 CD4 869 (24%) VL UND

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 04:39:28 pm »
The movie that does it for me is the documentary on Freddie Mercury of rock band Queen fame.  I've always loved Queen's music. Towards the end of the documentary Freddie's lover says "at the end Freddie was in a lot of pain".  That phrase not only sends a shiver down my spine it actually haunts me.  I can be doing something totally unrelated and that phrase will pop into my head and creep me out. At least 10 times a week that phrase will interupt my thoughts.

Dale I know exactly what you mean.  That documentary does the same for me as does any youtube link I've watched telling of Freddie's strength and courage there at the end.  I saw Philadelphia when it first came out in the theaters and then saw it for a second time with my wife when we first started talking to each other.  It definitely affected me differently that second time around.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 04:45:25 pm »
Well its a bit obscure, but the southpark creators did a really weird and wonderful movie called Team America. Its a musical with puppets about American Imperialism.  But the opening is huge broadway production number called "Everyone's Got Aids".  It's freaking hilarious.  Before I was infected.  I still think its funny but its not the same....

I also love "Team America" (based on the TV puppet show "Thunderbirds"). Equally hard on Hollywood liberals and Great Leader Kim Il Sung. I will Netflix it again. David Lynch's "Elephant Man" is all about stigma, oppression, and danger, integrity and redemption. "Cujo" and "Swamp Thing" are about racism. "Frankenstein" is about being gay with a strong reminder that "It takes a Transylvanian village" to roast a non-conformist. "Donny Darko" is about...OK, I am not sure.

I generally don't like "disease of the week movies" including "Philiadelphia." I did like "Mask" (NOT "The Mask"). I prefer movies where analogies provide the connection, whether satire or dead serious.

Happy Holidaze with the Cranberries!
Steven  (aka  8)  megasept)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 04:48:15 pm by megasept »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 05:11:48 pm »
You know I studied film history and theory and somehow I missed the gay subtext in Frankenstein, but you're right. 
I remember when I was just coming out of the closet and very very young and went to SF around 84 it must have been and there were guys coveredwith kaposi lesions, and walking skeletons, and it was all very sad (and frightening for me) and very Elephant Man.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 10:08:17 pm »
"Donny Darko" is about...OK, I am not sure.
ah good. ;) I just recently watched this movie (because I have such a crush on Jake)
and I really didn't know what the hell that movie was about either.  ::)
I liked Harvey the invisible rabbit much better than Donny's scary as hell rabbit, that's for sure ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WildcatCC

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 03:18:14 pm »
I recently Netflixed Passengers. The movie is about 7 or 8 passengers that survive a horrific plane crash that kills everyone else on board. The movie centers around the psychologist hired by the airline to help the survivors deal with the "why me" syndrome and all the other horrors of living this awful experience. Does anyone else draw any parallels?  ;)

Half way into the movie they throw an unbelievable plot curve that left me sobbing all the way through the remaining part of the film. Thank God I did not see this in theaters. 

I won't spoil this magnificent film  :-X  but I will say never in my life since being diagnosed has anything moved me so much. In fact, I am tearing up thinking of the beauty of this film and the subtle message.

It was a good cry. A powerful message. A great film.
Apr  08 - Diagnosed
Apr  08  cd4 8, vl 150k
Meds: Prezista/Norvir/Truvada
June 08 cd4 250, vl 1600
Aug  08 cd4 275, vl 450
Meds: Atripla
Nov  08  cd4  386, vl 255
Jan   09  cd4  415, vl 2100 (spike?)
Feb   09  cd4 460, vl 212
May   09  cd4 515, vl 1200
Aug   09  cd4 717, vl 1535 % 23
Sept  09  cd4 535  vl 1710 % 18
Oct   09  genotype shows mutation. Discussing w/ ID Doc
Nov  09   cd4 480  vl 650   % 19
Dec  09 genotype slight mutation to Epivir and Retrovir
Jan 10   cd4 508 vl 250 (21%)  low vitamin d - on supplement 2000 iu/day
Mar 15 Change to Isentress and Truvada
May 5 cd4 498 vl 1485
June 16 cd4 550 vl undect!!!! (finally dammit)

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »
This must be tragedy week because Bravo just finished showing "Philadelphia", which I watched for the first time (wiping away tears with a nearby sock) and now they're showing "Brokeback Mountain," which I also plan to watch (for the 80th time).  Somebody keep the sleeping pills and alcohol away from me ;)

Offline tplmc1964

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 09:07:44 pm »
With regard to RENT - Funny you bring that one up, I love it too and so many of the songs have been going through my head since recently being diagnosed. I won't watch it...yet, just not there. Keep something in mind, the script for the play was written in 1994 and opened in 1996. Thirteen years ago. The film does a very good job staying with the play, but keep in mind that although there are some poignant and rather hopeless parts of that script that leave us all thinking, "dear God, what if that become me?" Science has advanced leaps and bounds since that play opened. Also, those kids were artists, they were broke, the only one with any money was Maureen's partner the lawyer...and Benny.

Enjoy the message of the play, measure your life in love. And be thankful for all that research has done for us in such a short time.

For the record? I just watched A Charlie Brown Christmas - I've never missed it since nearly its original air date. Two things made me cry then and made me cry now. When Linus takes the stage and does his Christmas speech. And always, when he says, "It's not such a bad little tree, maybe it just needs a little love." Didn't matter, healthy or POZ....tears stream down my face. And don't get me going on Wonderful Life, when Clarence leaves his copy of Tom Sawyer to George at that end and the inscription reads, "He who has friends is never alone" ...I'll be skipping that one this year - Stick to comedies for a while. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 12:26:49 am »
The movies "And The Band Played On" and "Philadelphia" are hard to watch now.  I also can't watch the part of a home video from a family trip to CA in 1992.  I was 16 at the time and we had dinner with a couple next door to our friend's house.  One of them was coughing so much and looked so bad.  After, I asked whether he had AIDS.  They told me he did.  He died about 2 months after that.  The image of him really sticks in my head.  I tell myself there are great drugs now and that won't happen to me.  However, I cannot get the image of him out of my head.  I can see it so clearly in my head.  After seeing him dying, I get mad at myself for not being more careful.   

Also, I love "Family Guy."  However, I do sometimes get upset with all the talk about AIDS on the show.  Peter does a song called, "You've got AIDS."  Part of me thinks it is a funny song, but the other part thinks it is not a good way to get a laugh.  After being diagnosed, I usually fast forward through it on TIVO.

Gosh, this is all so depressing.  We need to be thankful we have drugs and live in a country where they are available.  I realize, even in this country, many still have problems accessing HIV meds and care. 

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 12:44:15 am »
The movies "And The Band Played On" and "Philadelphia" are hard to watch now.  I also can't watch the part of a home video from a family trip to CA in 1992.  I was 16 at the time and we had dinner with a couple next door to our friend's house.  One of them was coughing so much and looked so bad.  After, I asked whether he had AIDS.  They told me he did.  He died about 2 months after that.  The image of him really sticks in my head.  I tell myself there are great drugs now and that won't happen to me.  However, I cannot get the image of him out of my head.  I can see it so clearly in my head.  After seeing him dying, I get mad at myself for not being more careful.   

Also, I love "Family Guy."  However, I do sometimes get upset with all the talk about AIDS on the show.  Peter does a song called, "You've got AIDS."  Part of me thinks it is a funny song, but the other part thinks it is not a good way to get a laugh.  After being diagnosed, I usually fast forward through it on TIVO.

Gosh, this is all so depressing.  We need to be thankful we have drugs and live in a country where they are available.  I realize, even in this country, many still have problems accessing HIV meds and care. 

I hear you.  I wish there were a new movie about HIV/AIDS that was raw and powerful like "Angels in America" (the play) or "Brokeback Mountain."  Something that also reminded the general public about what went on during the early years of the AIDS crisis and how we really lost so many beautiful, smart, talented, shining people.  And how things still aren't "ok."  (Sorry, I'm reading "Breaking the Surface" by Greg Louganis and it's making me reminisce.  It feels like it all happened just yesterday although I did not go through through an iota of what many of the LTS here must have experienced.)

Offline OCboy84

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 05:47:11 am »
Hey hwy,
I know how you feel..the same thing happened to me watching Rent. It surprised me that I'd never had that response before, but i guess it just opened my eyes a little bit more. For me its music that does it. I've always been a huge fan of Queen. I was walking down Freemont Street in Las Vegas a few months after been diagnosed, and this huge video/light/musical Freddie tribute came on. Just seeing his images and hearing his music made me cry...in public....was pretty embarrassing actually and a good job i was on vacation. What happens in Vegas..right? :)

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 09:07:17 am »
if you really want a tear jerker,try watching LONGTIME COMPANION

hwy11poz

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 03:59:54 pm »
OCboy84 and tplmc1964,

Since you both also mention RENT [I feel a beautiful bonding moment here  :)] - I have stuck to comedies and action movies for the most part since then. I'm waiting on a buddy to come home on leave for my next potential viewing of it.

The Devil Wears Prada and Confessions of a Shopaholic have proved very uplifting (although I have had this incredible urge for Dolce & Gabbana). Can't beat Seasons of Love for a beautiful song though.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.