Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:34:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 289
Total: 289

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ACT UP 25th Anniversary ACTION APRIL 25 WALL STREET 25 for 25  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
ACT UP 25th Anniversary ACTION APRIL 25 WALL STREET 25 for 25
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:20:24 am »
On March 28th, in celebration of its 25th Anniversary, ACT UP in conjunction with many other groups is returning to Wall Street, where its first demonstration was held in 1987.

This time the focus is going to be on demanding the adoption of the Financial Speculation Tax, the adoption of which would effectively finance essential HIV/AIDS and other health needs currently in jeopardy or being denied.

If you are going to be in NYC on that Wednesday or you can get here, come join us! ACT UP meets every Monday night at the LGBT Community Center on West 13th Street. Your help is needed and all are welcome.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:09:27 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: ACT UP 25th Anniversary ACTION MARCH 28th WALL STREET
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:07 am »
On March 28th, in celebration of its 25th Anniversary, ACT UP in conjunction with many other groups is returning to Wall Street, where its first demonstration was held in 1987.

This time the focus is going to be on demanding the adoption of the Financial Speculation Tax, the adoption of which would effectively finance essential HIV/AIDS and other health needs currently in jeopardy or being denied.

If you are going to be in NYC on that Wednesday or you can get here, come join us! ACT UP meets every Monday night at the LGBT Community Center on West 13th Street. Your help is needed and all are welcome.

25 years? How marvellous!

I think we all owe a considerable debt of gratitude to the ACT UP (and Queer Nation) activists who did so much to make our lives worth living.

I know I speak on behalf of many of us when I say a part of that gratitude is properly yours Andy.

So thank you.

And may you continue to inspire activism in our community.

A gezunt der in pupik!  :-*

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:28 pm »
Thanks very much, Matty.

Being a part of ACT UP since the first Wall Street demo in 1987 has without a doubt been a life transforming experience personally. And a continuing education, no kidding.

Thanks again and a blessing on your keppie, mahzel tov mahzel tov.

In solidarity forever,

Andy
Andy Velez

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:22 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Andy, I have Wednesday, March 28th circled on my calendar.  I will get the demonstration's time soon enough so as not to be late.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55:50 pm »
Without the actions of ACT UP in those early years, there would have been even more suffering and certainly more deaths. As one of the people spared by the advent of AZT and the arrival of those first antiretrovirals, I've always believed those meds only came about because ACT UP pushed - and pushed hard when and where it was necessary. Without their voices, their passion, their activism, who knows how many more years and deaths would have gone by before things finally turned around.

Thank You Andy, and  Happy Birthday ACT UP!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »
Thanks Michael and Jody! Great to have your support.

Time for the demo is not yet decided Jody, but I will post it as more unfolds. We're aiming to make this a big one. 
Andy Velez

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:28 am »
See, all it takes to get me to log in to these forums, after god knows how long, is to organize a good demo!

Hope all you New Yorkers will put this in your calendar. I have no idea what any of you look like (although I do vaguely remember Andy  ;) ), so if you see me, please come up an introduce yourselves.

I posted to my blog yesterday about some of the needs for this demo:

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2012/02/have_you_given_up_hope_for_a_cure.html

Hope to see some of you there!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:54:08 am »
My first month after moving to chicago was a turning point for me about how I would view myself as an HIV Positive person .

I met several people involved with Act Up Chicago and attended a few meetings . It opened my eyes to many issues I never had considered before and it had an immediate effect on me . For the first time I felt empowered instead of feeling like a victim .

At the time I was open and honest about my HIV status but after my exposure to the members of Act up something in me changed that was hard to define , from that moment on I used my infection as a teachable moment when I discussed it with people I met from day to day . I was and still am in awe of what that group of people were able to do to make make things better for people living with Aids .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: ACT UP 25th Anniversary ACTION APRIL 25 WALL STREET 25 for 25
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:20:15 am »
In order to allow for a greater mobilization, the date of the ACT UP 25th Anniversary Action has been changed to Wednesday April 25th. 25 for 25. It will be held in conjunction with many other groups including OWS, Housing Works, Health Gap and more. If you can join us we need everyone's help and participation.

During the weeks leading up to April 25th, ACT UP will be meeting at the LGBT Community Center on West 13th St. on Mondays at 7pm. Join us and be a part of this historic event in the battle against HIV/AIDS.
Andy Velez

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:31:47 pm »
I changed my calendar to circle Wed., April 25th Andy so we will find out if it is a morning or afternoon demo as we get closer.  Thanks as always for your efforts.

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline I_care

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:15:34 am »
Im so happy to see some support and coordination with Occupy. I posted in here back in October about the Occupy movement, and I tried to find likeminded activists to join me in starting a POZ working group by posting a thread here. I was attacked, mocked, and my own hiv status and motives were called into question. There were people on this site who told me "Occupy has nothing to do with Aids activism"  It really threw me for a loop, and I have not been back since. I just got an email today about the Apr. 25 action, linked with Occupy. Thank you, and I'll see u there!

Offline Jody

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »
I received this from the SIN (Strength in Numbers) group regarding the Wednesday, April 25th march on Wall St. at 11 AM......

I'll be there, it's really important with so many services like HASA and many others that are getting their budgets cut and reworked - pushing  case workers into retirement, and we need to bring attention to the issue that drug companies are mainly focused on treatments which bring in huge profits and are not active in looking for a Cure.  The fact that many are now comparing AIDS to diabetes is outrageous and insulting to our brothers who have passed on, we owe it to them and ourselves to demand more research for a Cure (and there is some promising research).  A Cure would save hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children around the world and ease the monetary burden of those living in the USA. You and I can do something about it ! See you there :)

> Dear fellow SINners,
>
> JOIN ACT UP's 25th Anniversary Direct Action!
>
> ACT UP and OCCUPY
> TAX WALL STREET!
> END AIDS!
>
> April 25, 2012
> At 11am
> Massive demonstration and march.
> Starts at City Hall (Broadway and Murray Street)
> Ends at Wall Street
>
> ACT UP is calling for a small tax (0.05%) on Wall Street transactions and speculative trades in order to raise the money needed to end the global AIDS epidemic and provide universal healthcare in the US.
>
> More info: 212-966-4873 | www.actupny.com | info@actupny.com
>
> Facebook ACT UP NY Page | www.facebook.com/actupny
>
> Twitter: @actupny | #taxwallst | #endaids
>
> It would be great to see more SINners supporting this action, as ACT UP continues its fight for a cure.
>
> Hope to see you there!
> Vernon

Grateful Dead

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:35:04 pm »
I've blocked out the date on my calendar for this too. If anyone needs a ride in from the western part of New Jersey, please PM me (perhaps we can carpool).

I'm going to try to make the final Monday night meeting next week if I can get an early enough start to get into the City for a 7 pm meeting.

Assurbanipal, (who's hoping to spot Jody in the crowds)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »
I'm actually in NYC up until that day before this event, but have to be back in Filthy for a doctor's appointment that if I had to re-schedule would take another 2 months to get.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jody

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:47 pm »
PM me for my cell phone # and hopefully we can hook up.

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline Jody

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »
ACT-UP, TAX WALL STREET - END AIDS...ACT-UP - CURE AIDS !!!!!!!!

It was great to see Peter Staley (and his adorable and very sweet dog Stella), Tim Horn, Andy Velez, Chris (Assurbanibal) and so many other great folks at today's rally for health care for all and economic fairness and justice in our city and nation. 

It was important, as always to unite and be heard and thanks to all who took the time and effort to be there and make their voices heard.  This job ain't over. 

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:37:41 pm »
ACT-UP, TAX WALL STREET - END AIDS...ACT-UP - CURE AIDS !!!!!!!!

It was great to see Peter Staley (and his adorable and very sweet dog Stella), Tim Horn, Andy Velez, Chris (Assurbanibal) and so many other great folks at today's rally for health care for all and economic fairness and justice in our city and nation. 

It was important, as always to unite and be heard and thanks to all who took the time and effort to be there and make their voices heard.  This job ain't over. 

Jody

PICS !!!!

April 25, 2012

Occupy and ACT UP Protesters Converge on Wall Street

ACT UP joined the Occupy movement to protest changes to New York City’s AIDS housing policies and to demand a tax to end AIDS. Nine activists were arrested early in the morning after chaining themselves together to block Wall Street and 10 HIV housing activists were arrested outside City Hall trying to set up a house, Gay City News reports. In February 2011, the Human Resources Administration announced it would no longer help pay the full brokers’ fees for HIV/AIDS Service Administration (HASA) clients looking for housing and would only issue vouchers (not checks) to pay landlords. And in December, the HRA announced HASA could refuse permanent housing to people who did not pass drug tests and who refused prescribed treatment. Activists are also marching to advocate for a “financial speculation tax,” or FiST, that would involve taxing speculative trading on Wall Street and using those funds for HIV services. The demonstration is part of the 25th anniversary commemoration of AIDS Coalition To Unleash Power (ACT UP).

Looked like a great turn-out !!

http://www.flickr.com//photos/pozmagazine/sets/72157629535618162/show/

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.