Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:20:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 454
Total: 456

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: People are dying in Puerto Rico!  (Read 9822 times)

Offline RicardoC

People are dying in Puerto Rico!
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:40:43 am »
I recent article from POZ says this,

"Many of the estimated 11,000 people living with AIDS in the U.S. commonwealth of Puerto Rico have been abandoned and left for dead. The local and federal officials entrusted with protecting their health have been accused of mismanaging AIDS funding, which leaves positive Puerto Ricans in a lethal limbo between American and Puerto Rican aid—and feeling utterly lost on their own island."

We are talking an estimated of $45 million cut of funding for the island of Puerto Rico because of corruption and mismanagement.

In the article it says, "In 1999 and 2000, several former officials of the San Juan AIDS Institute were convicted of stealing more than $2 million of federal AIDS funds for personal and political gain while they were in office from 1988 to 1994."

In addition, the island suffers from ignorance, homophobia, stereotypes and discrimination towards individuals who have HIV/ADIS.

In the article it talks about Ariel who is sick and heading to the hospital,  "Ariel had been placed in a tiny, hot room with a broken ceiling fan and was left unattended by doctors and nurses—who...were afraid to touch Ariel for fear of contracting HIV."

What are we suppose to do? Sit back and not do nothing about it? Many organization and agency right now are brainstorming on ways we can approach this dilema.

i'm Puerto Rican and most of my family live on the island and I really cannot say that I'm proud how the govenment is handling this situation but then again, not too proud that the U.S. Government can just pick up and leave. Abandoning thousands of people living with HIV/AIDS.

Here is the website
http://www.poz.com/articles/aids_puerto_rico_2226_15117.shtml

Let me know what you guys think.

Offline hotpuppy

Re: People are dying in Puerto Rico!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 09:45:41 pm »
Ricardo,
   I think it's good that you are doing something.  However, you may not like what I have to say.  From what I see, Peurto Rico is a territory of the US.  This means that it is part of the US.  However, the people of Peurto Rico are always in the news saying how much they hate the US.  I find that annoying and ungrateful.  Yes, things have been done that nobody should be proud of.  Get over it.  Many people have been wronged in the history of the United States, not the least of whom being the Native Americans.  Learn from the past, vow not to repeat, and don't weep in it's shadow.  As for the politics of PR.  The people of Peurto Rico have only themselves to blame for their current political status.  They have opted repeatedly to remain as something other than a state.  Your elected officials have concocted a crazy concept of a commonwealth and are under the hallucination that they are independent.  The fact is that the island of Peurto Rico is a territory of the United States.  PR could still become a state, or could be set free, as the Phillipines were.  Given the massive poverty and resource poor nature of the island, statehood would be a much better option.  However, currently PR residents do not pay federal taxes and taxation is left to the territorial government.

Now, unlike some poor souls in other countries you have some options in Peurto Rico.  First, you are an American Citizen.  That entitles you to live anywher in the United States that you want.  If the healthcare in PR sucks, than I would suggest moving to a state where there are decent programs for HIV positive individuals.  I know that is not the ideal, but it is just a fact.  Fighting a broken system won't keep you alive. 

PR will continue to have HIV infections just like we have here in Texas.  When people make it a priority to put the right messages into the community that will begin to change.  Latino culture has a unique set of values and beliefs that need to be addressed.  Unfortunately, addressing those needs with the right messaging isn't a priority.  Don't ask me why.... I'm just calling it like I see it.

Lastly, remember, you asked what we think... this is my opinion.  We may not agree on all points, and those things we can discuss respectfully.  The one thing I think we can agree on, is that much remains to be done.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 08:08:28 am »
Thank God I live in Spain where there is universal medical coverage, there is no such stigma with HIV, a lot of research is done arround HIV, and gays can marry and adopt children.
The care and comprehension I have received from the airline for which I work, Civil Aviation authorities, the nurses and Dr's from the primary attention medical services and the hospital are amazing.
I only have to deal with a crazy Dr.in appearance. But the fact is he is excellent, always remembers my name (since the first visit) and knows my results by heart, better than I.
I see that in Latin America they are centuries behind in their believes and prejudices. That is why I rarely post in the Spanish forums. They seem to be talking of another world which has nothing to do with mine.
It is unbelieveble the progress done by the Spanish society and how open minden we are over here. You see 80 year old ladies at the gay weddings of their grandsons as if they had seen it since the beggining of times. Those old people have been able to change their minds and nobody would believe thay have lived a civil war, a dictatorship that lasted 40 years in which religious believes were everywhere, etc.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 03:18:56 pm »
However, the people of Peurto Rico are always in the news saying how much they hate the US.  I find that annoying and ungrateful. 

I sure hope you have a good link for that assertion.  Otherwise I must say that your post was annoying.

ps:  what exactly IS "latino culture"?  Speaking Spanish?  I'm really not sure what other commonality there is between Santo Domingo and Buenos Aires, but I'll leave that for you to explain to me.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 03:57:40 pm »
Let's start here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7445615.stm

This portion of the Wikipedia entry is interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peurto_Rico#Recent_developments

As for Latino.  I think the official definition is accurate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latino

All of which is really irrelevant.  Ricardo's post is right.  People are dying.  People are dying because someone somewhere isn't making a priority of getting good prevention and treatment programs in place. 

My point was that if I were HIV positive and Peurto Rican I would promptly move where I could get better healthcare.  However, I understand that family is alot more important in latino culture and that someone might want to stay with their family. 

Education that addresses practices in the community is critical.  I can't tell you how many poz women with children I see when I go to give blood for the study I'm in.  It seems to be one thing for me to be poz, I chose to engage in unsafe sex.  That's my fault.  Someone who's only mistake was trusting their husband is another story.  I don't fully understand the nuances in Latino culture, but I am aware of issues concerning pride, safe sex, macho posturing, etc.  I know I read in one magazine recently that many hispanic men consider themselves straight unless they are the receptive partner.  Small comfort when they aren't using a condom.  Attacking pride, fear, and safe sex is critical to getting people in treatment and out of situations that endanger their own health and that of their wives when they are bisexual.

The worst part gets more interesting.  Many poz hispanic men don't get tested because they are either ineligible for treatment due to immigration status, or they are afraid.  As a result they are not diagnosed until AIDS.  Nobody deserves that.  We can do better.  How is the question?
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 05:29:06 pm »
I still don't see in your link anything that backs up such a heated, mendacious accusation that "the people of Puerto Rico are always in the news saying how much they "hate the US" and is going to be seen as rather detestable by the numerous Puerto Ricans currently serving in the US military, and/or who have had family members die in US wars.

Care to withdraw that comment?

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 09:39:48 pm »
No, I stand by my belief that Peurto Rico could become a state if it chose to.  it's people have spoken in free elections numerous times and choose to remain a territory.  Reaching to veterans or wars has no bearing in this.  Non-Citizens can serve in the US Military with honor and do so on a regular basis.  If you do insist on going there, I am a Veteran.

Lets get back to the subject at hand, which is HIV prevention and treatment in PR.  Care to add to the discussion instead of attacking my comments?

Do you have insight on how to craft effective prevention, testing, and treatment messages to the Latino community?  If so, please share it. 

Do you have a solution other than moving to a state that might help get someone better health care in PR?  I don't.

We may not agree politicially, but we need to find common ground, move on, and look for ideas that provide benefit to others.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 09:47:16 pm by hotpuppy »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:15:08 am »
Nothing like moving the goalposts.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 11:06:30 am »
The same challenge exists in the African-American community as well.  Coming up with effective messages and programs that address the nuances in that community.

History has shown rather dramatically that ignoring the problem won't make it go away.  PBS' Frontline has a good DVD on the History of HIV circa 2006.  Netflix has it in their library.

One of the main challenges is that Abstinence Only  doesn't work for everyone.  What works in the gay community isn't necessarily going to be effective in the Latino community and African-American communities.  Different cultures require different approaches to prevention and treatment.

One thing that does seem to work is getting involvement from the Government, Community, and Healthcare workers.  When the 3 line up they have been successful.  I suspect that one or more of these groups is not participating in PR, but I don't have the first person knowledge to say.  Not participating takes many forms.  Telling people to not have sex is a copout that isn't going to work.   Ignoring their cultural beliefs is not going to go work. 

While I'm the first to say I don't know everything about Latino culture, I do know that religion and family are important parts of their culture.  Religion typically means Catholic Church.  Family is typically extended family.  The Catholic Church has issues with the behaviors that are high risk for HIV.  Stigma is the challenge with family.  Change happens through dialog and engagement, not hate and decree.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:49:38 am »
Hi First of all let me say that I was born In BKLYN NEW YORK But I'm Puerto Rican and Proud of it..  Now I have been Positive for 28 years so for me its a miracle that I'm still around...
As For Puerto Rico I would Love to Go there to live but I have been told by many that the health care there is really so bad and another thing is that I'm on SSI so I can not get my SSI there since Puerto Rico is a common wealth and not a state,,, now as for the status thats a hot topic because there's a lot of Pro's and Con's which I wiill not get into now but I really do wish I could go to my Beautiful Island but for now I have to stay here in Florida which also has a lousy service for people with Hiv/Aids,,,,  I Lived in California from 1988 to 2002 and the services there are Fantastic the only problem with California is the damm Gangs and Drugs...  ok that's my opinon sincerly PRMike
PRMike

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 12:50:54 pm »

Now, unlike some poor souls in other countries you have some options in Peurto Rico.  First, you are an American Citizen.  That entitles you to live anywher in the United States that you want. 

That's B.S. You have to have money to do it. It's been established that PR is a poor island, don't you think people would leave if it were that easy? What about AIDS patients who don't have the money to move by the time they get sick?

My point was that if I were HIV positive and Peurto Rican I would promptly move where I could get better healthcare. 

That's just not going to work for so many people. Again, poor island = poor people. The U.S. government needs to take care of all it's citizens, regardless of where they live.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 02:01:29 pm »
The U.S. government needs to take care of all it's citizens, regardless of where they live.

I agree, the problem is that the Federal Government is going to give money to PR for Healthcare across the board.  That will include HIV.  PR will then decide what to spend on HIV.  I think the system is broken, but that's what it is.  I can't honestly say that someone with HIV has more of a right to life than someone with cancer or any other disease.  Everyone has a basic right to health care in my opinion. 

As a non-state entity I'm going to guess that PR gets leftovers and lumped in with Guam and Northern Marianas Islands.  It's not right, it just is what it is.  PR's leaders have failed them and in a democracy only action of the people can fix that. 

Don't worry, the rest of the US Leaders aren't very far behind PR.   I see PR as more of a canary in the coal mine than an individual problem.  When we develop solutions that address the needs in PR we will have solutions that address other populations in the US and elsewhere.  The solutions must include effective prevention, testing, treatment, and support.  Prevention and testing messages must address cultural beliefs and practices or they will fail.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 07:17:52 pm »
You know I Love My Island and my people and I will stand by their side when I beleive they are right and I get really PISSED OFF because we elect these Mother Fuxxers to office in order to help the Island Progress and the people and what do they do ? they sell the Hospitals ,,  they steal the money and take off ,, I think we the people of Puerto rico and the US goverment should Hunt them down and make sure they pay for what they have done because a lot of people are dying needlessly... I just wonder when will it end
I do have a Ray of hope in OBAMA maybe things will change for the better ???
PRMike

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 07:32:48 pm »
Ricardo,
   I think it's good that you are doing something.  However, you may not like what I have to say.  From what I see, Peurto Rico is a territory of the US.  This means that it is part of the US.  However, the people of Peurto Rico are always in the news saying how much they hate the US.  I find that annoying and ungrateful.  Yes, things have been done that nobody should be proud of.  Get over it.  Many people have been wronged in the history of the United States, not the least of whom being the Native Americans.  Learn from the past, vow not to repeat, and don't weep in it's shadow.  As for the politics of PR.  The people of Peurto Rico have only themselves to blame for their current political status.  They have opted repeatedly to remain as something other than a state.  Your elected officials have concocted a crazy concept of a commonwealth and are under the hallucination that they are independent.  The fact is that the island of Peurto Rico is a territory of the United States.  PR could still become a state, or could be set free, as the Phillipines were.  Given the massive poverty and resource poor nature of the island, statehood would be a much better option.  However, currently PR residents do not pay federal taxes and taxation is left to the territorial government.

Now, unlike some poor souls in other countries you have some options in Peurto Rico.  First, you are an American Citizen.  That entitles you to live anywher in the United States that you want.  If the healthcare in PR sucks, than I would suggest moving to a state where there are decent programs for HIV positive individuals.  I know that is not the ideal, but it is just a fact.  Fighting a broken system won't keep you alive. 

PR will continue to have HIV infections just like we have here in Texas.  When people make it a priority to put the right messages into the community that will begin to change.  Latino culture has a unique set of values and beliefs that need to be addressed.  Unfortunately, addressing those needs with the right messaging isn't a priority.  Don't ask me why.... I'm just calling it like I see it.

Lastly, remember, you asked what we think... this is my opinion.  We may not agree on all points, and those things we can discuss respectfully.  The one thing I think we can agree on, is that much remains to be done.
You may call it like you see it but I think knowledge of PR history is limited.  If the United States like to invade countries because of false alligations then I can't see why the U.S. can not help a country under their protection.  Ok, I am over thinking it but it should not be happening to PR while the media takes a vacation and ignore the devastation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 01:08:40 am »
then I can't see why the U.S. can not help a country under their protection. 

This is a core part of the issue.  PR is not a country.  It is a territory of the United States.  The only state with the right to secede is Texas.  Texas probably would still not be allowed to secede.  Sometimes I think people forget that sovereign nation still has specific meaning.   

PR should be a state.  It is in the best interests of the people of PR.  PR as a country would closely resemble Haiti or the Phillipines.  Neither is something I would wish on the people who live there.

You know I Love My Island and my people and I will stand by their side when I beleive they are right and I get really PISSED OFF because we elect these Mother Fuxxers to office in order to help the Island Progress and the people and what do they do ? they sell the Hospitals ,,  they steal the money and take off ,, I think we the people of Puerto rico and the US goverment should Hunt them down and make sure they pay

Absolutely.  There are more than just a few politicians who need to be accountable.  It is supposed to be a government of the people for the people.  Not a government of the rich, financed by the corrupt.

I guarantee you that the problems in PR exist elsewhere in the US.  It also has to involve the community in PR, not those of us in States.  PR has to elect people who will fix these problems.  Sure, I can write to my elected officials... but PR is pretty much self-governing as a territory.  They levy their own taxes and spend their own money.  I suspect that one of the reasons PR is not a state is because residents feel they would have to pay federal income and social security taxes.  Short term savings for long term losses.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 03:11:05 am »
Thank God I live in Spain where there is universal medical coverage, there is no such stigma with HIV, a lot of research is done arround HIV, and gays can marry and adopt children.
The care and comprehension I have received from the airline for which I work, Civil Aviation authorities, the nurses and Dr's from the primary attention medical services and the hospital are amazing.
I only have to deal with a crazy Dr.in appearance. But the fact is he is excellent, always remembers my name (since the first visit) and knows my results by heart, better than I.
I see that in Latin America they are centuries behind in their believes and prejudices. That is why I rarely post in the Spanish forums. They seem to be talking of another world which has nothing to do with mine.
It is unbelieveble the progress done by the Spanish society and how open minden we are over here. You see 80 year old ladies at the gay weddings of their grandsons as if they had seen it since the beggining of times. Those old people have been able to change their minds and nobody would believe thay have lived a civil war, a dictatorship that lasted 40 years in which religious believes were everywhere, etc.

It would be great to have Universal Health Care and eveyone would be treated the same.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 03:16:15 am »
No, I stand by my belief that Puerto Rico could become a state if it chose to. 

The majority of the PR people wants to become statehood, but we are realistic as to why we don't want that. We don't want to lose our identity, culture and precious land. We would love to become Independent but, we know it would not work because it would not survive and become a more poorer country and that is why we are still a commom wealth.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:54 am »
You know I Love My Island and my people and I will stand by their side when I believe they are right and I get really PISSED OFF because we elect these Mother Fuxxers to office in order to help the Island Progress

I agree with PRMike that the people of PR need to analyse all politicals' when they are running office in making sure we elect someone who is fair, honest, strong, very vocal, liberal and for all the people, including those affected with the virus.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 03:30:55 am »
PR should be a state.  It is in the best interests of the people of PR.
Given the funding crisis in many states and the social stigma of having HIV in most states, I don't think the answer is simply for Puerto Rico to become a state.  

But the issue of statehood can't simply be decided on funding of HIV/AIDS programmes.  There must be legitmate reasons why the population voted no on statehood.

PR as a country would closely resemble Haiti or the Phillipines.
Really, on what basis?  With a GDP per capita of $20,000 and a much more stable economy/government, I disagree (certainly with the Haiti comparison).  Phillipines' GDP per capita is $5k and Haiti's is $2k.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:50:58 am by Cliff »

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 03:40:58 am »
I still don't see in your link anything that backs up such a heated, mendacious accusation that "the people of Puerto Rico are always in the news saying how much they "hate the US" and is going to be seen as rather detestable by the numerous Puerto Ricans currently serving in the US military, and/or who have had family members die in US wars.

Care to withdraw that comment?

Puerto Ricans do not HATE the United States! I'm making it very clear and agree with Miss Philicia that no where you will see that the the Puerto Ricans hate the U.S. What we hate the most is a country trying to change our culture, our language, our heritage, and our land. We like it the way it is in PR and one of the reason why we don't want to become a statehood is because of what I just mention.

The US government cannot just pack their luggage and take with them all the millions of dollars for services for individuals living with HIV/AIDS and not look back. The U.S. government need to have some OVERSIGHT on how the government of PR spend the money for HIV/AIDS individuals. That includes oversight on funds are distributed, how funds are allocated and how funds are fairly divided.

Obviously, the government of PR cannot do it this and its not right or humanly right to just leave and not do a thing about it.

I have visit PR every year and every year the people suffering from HIV/AIDS is getting worse. They are literally walking on streets begging for money, dying in alleys, sleeping in emergency rooms for hours or even days waiting to be treated or even get a hospital bed. Community agencies in PR are struggling everyday with minimal resources. It is extremely heartbreaking.

These are my people left to defend for themeself and eventually to die by themself!!

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 03:43:16 am »
Given the funding crisis in many states and the social stigma of being positive and having HIV in most states, I don't think the answer is simply for Puerto Rico to become a state.  

I agree, its about responsibility to a country that is a territorial to the U.S.

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 03:44:51 am »
I do have a Ray of hope in OBAMA maybe things will change for the better ???

I do also, I just wont hold my breath that long.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 08:03:57 am »
Hi today I was talking with my sister about the situation in Puerto Rico and she informed me that Puerto Ricans now are paying Federal taxes she knows this because she was recently there on vaction,,, I also was in touch with my Ex-mother in law and she tells me that it is really pityfull how the people with HIV/Aids are being treated that they are being left to Die,,now I would love Puerto Rico to be a State in a way because then I could get my SSI there and my MEDS but then again it also would mean that there would be a lot of more other issues that Puertp Rico will have to deal with and I'm not sure if there is someone capable or responsable enough to handle the job because in the past few years there has not been a single ONE and I wish I could YELL it out loud enough for someone to hear and STEP UP and take the Lead... I Also know that the US Helps Puerto Rico and also gets its share but We the people of Puerto Rico always have asked the US not to get involved with our Goverment and let US run our Island...  this is my opinion
PRMike

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 10:45:03 am »
Let me know what you guys think.

Since you asked; OK I will.

First off, I feel this thread has gravitated to a discussion and conversation about issues that have little to do with HIV/AIDS, and most of us know that statehood will do little or nothing in the short term to alleviate the needs of our HIV+ brothers and sisters who happen to have been born in Puerto Rico.  After all, there are people on the mainland who have been dying from lack of care and meds for some time now also.

No, I think this issue will have to be approached by those living in Puerto Rico; those whose families have been critically affected by this HIV crisis.  When we see problems, and seek answers to solving them; we always need to look to our past to find the solutions, and in this case, we need to only look 30 years in the past to remember that it was the gay community that finally drove the government to deal with the crisis we now call HIV/AIDS.

It was from that community that we found the people that would even give their lives to further the cause of finding a solution.  They paraded in the streets, created fund raising drives that brought money to the cause, mostly in small amounts, but all over the country.  They sent people with the ability to speak to the governments of each of the states and Washington, and demanded action.  They organized in homes to drive the message home in the press on a daily basis, they worked with the media to firm up alliances with reporters and editors that still had a conscience and work creed of honesty.  Anything that composes the workings of a successful company or government were taken care of by people who were willing to get out and take the rap for their publicity, yet never giving up to the oppression we had experienced under the homophobic president Raygun. 

Personally, this is always the answer in a capitalistic democracy, and the people of Puerto Rico will be no different.  In the end, they are the ones that will be the answer to their own problem of corruption.  To look to the United States to solve corruption problems is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline.  This is also true for the black community unfortunately.  Ultimately they will have to force the solution and do so by their community action, starting at home.

These are my thoughts, and the record of history.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 11:23:17 am »
PR as a country would closely resemble Haiti or the Phillipines. 

It's now quite clear that you've not a clue in the world about this subject matter.  At all.

I'm not Puerto Rican, but I've been there about 10 times and I'll be there again in 3 weeks.  I'll be sure and send your regards to the "H8trs" on the island.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 12:51:55 pm »
It's now quite clear that you've not a clue in the world about this subject matter.  At all.

I'm not Puerto Rican, but I've been there about 10 times and I'll be there again in 3 weeks.  I'll be sure and send your regards to the "H8trs" on the island.

Perhaps just once, could you contribute to the conversation?  Why not tell me what you think the problem in PR is?  Rather than evade the goal post, perhaps you could move towards it?

Offline RicardoC

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 06:37:39 pm »
Perhaps just once, could you contribute to the conversation?  Why not tell me what you think the problem in PR is?  Rather than evade the goal post, perhaps you could move towards it?

I agree... Lets respect one anothers opinion.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 10:00:38 pm »
I agree what Moffie has said here, has anyone read it?
Positive since 1985

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »
Puerto Rico.  They are Americans too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.