Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 333
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions on treatment for fatigue  (Read 5166 times)

Offline mike88

Questions on treatment for fatigue
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:21:46 am »
Can anyone help me with some advice on effective treatment for fatigue. I have been dealing with recurring bouts of no energy were I can barely get out of bed for days on end. I am currently on norvir, reyetaz, epsicom and testosterone injections every two weeks. I have read that some doctors prescribe medications such as adderall or something similar that has helped others. Are there medication available  that are working for people dealing with this?

Offline shyguy_33

Re: Questions on treatment for fatigue
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:22:56 pm »
I have the same problem with my meds. I tried efaviranze and kaletra and the effect is the same. Thats why my doctor does not know what to do anymore. This is my main problem in my adherence. Hope someone can reply on your post.

Offline mike88

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:32:39 am »
I appreciate the feedback. I have appointment in a few weeks and I am hoping to get some information on what is working for others to discuss options with my doctor. My doctors have been pretty good at helping me deal with the side effects but what I am learning is it takes time and patience because they become just as frustrated when unable to find a way to solve a problem.
Testosterone helps and I inject 1ml every two weeks and am going to talk to him about maybe starting a once a week cycle. Not to crazy about this option though but it is an option but I am hoping that there may be other solutions.

Offline ViralVito

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:10 pm »
Lifestyle is key what you eat and how active you are is essential to combating fatigue. I eat every three hours low fat body builder diet. I force my self to the gym three to four times a week cardio for 15 getting the rate up followed with muscle conditioning. The speeding up of the metabolism and the high intensity workouts over time eliminate fatigue. I also drink a lot of coffee in the am 4 to six cups by noon that is my cut off to ensure sleep. Combivir Reyataz and Norvir once on Kaletra but was taken off for high triglycerides.  This is how I cope the biggest thing is taking that first step to the gym every morning it is not easy at first.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:13:44 pm by ViralVito »

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11:34 pm »
I have been dealing with recurring bouts of no energy were I can barely get out of bed for days on end.

same here... currently treated for depression, but... still. 48 hours sleep in a row: hard to expalin to family

and when it come down onto me , nothing I can do: I just collapse into sleep

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline lincoln6echo

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:22:12 am »
Hey Mike88
how long have you been on those meds for? Have you always been on them?
I was on truvada/miraviroc for a few mo's and they made me feel like I was carrying around a 100lb bag of rocks all day. By late afternoon it felt like I had taken a sleeping pill.

I switched to kivexa/issentress about two mo's ago and it made a huge difference.

I'm still tired but way less than with those other meds.  I work out 3-4 days a week and I'm on 100ml of T per week (prescribed by my doc earlier this year when I was diagnosed as I was naturally low).

Have you talked to your dr about trying different meds?  Might be worth a convo rather than adding more to the mix.

I also agree with ViralVito that lifestyle/diet plays a big part but that applies to anyone, HIV + or not. 

Offline a2z

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:09:35 am »
Mike, when I was on Reyetaz I was exhausted too.  I won't sit here and tell you I am a ball of energy now but switching to Isentress seemed to help greatly.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline mike88

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried switching to issentriss and truvada and stayed on them for a month but was having a lot of side effects that made it difficult for me to continue taking them. I was then put on stribild but had the same reactions but stayed on that for almost two months but for some reason same thing happened and I was forced to go back to the my old meds.

Offline scottieman

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 02:51:43 pm »
I am on Stribild, by 2PM I am falling asleep at my desk.  I get between 8-9 hours of sleep per night.  Am very active, but find myself just drained by mid day.  Dr. last week put me on 150mg Nuvigil, I am seeing results! 
August 19, 2011 Negative Oral Swap
August 30-September 4, 2011 (Thought Strep throat really sero-conversion)
October 5th, HIV Diagnosis
October 22 labs, CD4 619, VL 21,000 21%
November 13th, Started Complera
January 9th, Labs CD4 631, VL-UD 28%
March 28th Labs CD4 610, VL-UD 31%
July 2nd CD4 792, 34% VL-75
August 7th, 2012 CD4 899, 35% VL-97
September 17th, 2012 CD4 989, 33% VL-27
November 8, 2012  CD4 850, VL-UD, 39%
December 6, 2012 CD4 849, VL-UD, 39%
April 2, 2013 CD4 904, VL-UD, 33%
July 17, 2013 CD4 988, VL UD, 38.2%

Offline buginme2

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:01 pm »
Why does everyone assume that fatigue is a result of their current medication when HIV and the dozens if not more concurrent complications also cause fatigue?  Fatigue is one of if not the most common complaint for people with HIV.

I assume you have had a full work up including having your thyroid levels checked?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Tool man

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 06:22:55 pm »
I assume the fatigue is EVERYTHING combined.
My husband and I have had our bouts with fatigue and sometimes we live quite normal lives of exercise and occasional fun. Sometimes not.
The flu was going around our area and we were sick for two weeks and it took another week to get over the fatigue issues. Yesterday we helped a friend move from his older home and exposed ourselves to many allergens. Today all we want to do is sleep. There may be too many things involved in all our bodies to accurately point a finger. Exercise, if we can get into the mindset to do it, seems to be our best answer.
This link came across my desk today
http://www.hivplusmag.com/prevention/fitness/2013/08/20/new-study-exercise-can-save-your-brain-if-youre-hiv-positive

TM
Like I tell my husband, "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong."

Offline witch

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:06:18 pm »
Fatigue is also a natural result of aging i.e. hormonal decline. There are herbs that have mild stimulating effect - usually taken by fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders:
maca, rhodiola, ginseng, schisandra, coffee, guarana etc

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.