Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:10:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772949
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 462
Total: 464

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question for Long Term Non Progressors and Elite Controllors  (Read 11234 times)

Offline srmn98

Hello All,

I have a question for the Long Term Non Progressors and Elite Controllers out there. I am wondering if all the bands on your Western Blot were reactive ?

I guess I would like to extend the topic to everybody as well --- how many of you out there had ALL your Western Blot bands turn out reactive ?

Mine all are reactive -- combined with VL undetectable with no meds and CD4 1400, I'm wondering why they are all reactive and if it has something to do with my immune response.

thanks,

erika

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
Re: Question for Long Term Non Progressors and Elite Controllors
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 04:37:24 am »
I guess I would like to extend the topic to everybody as well --- how many of you out there had ALL your Western Blot bands turn out reactive ?  Mine all are reactive -- combined with VL undetectable with no meds and CD4 1400, I'm wondering why they are all reactive and if it has something to do with my immune response.

Given that the Western blot (WB) criteria for a positive result is the presence of at least one band from each of the Env, Gag, and Pol antigens, one's immune response is definitely involved.  The question is whether the appearance of all bands in the blot makes a particular LTNP even more special. 

From what I've read, the appearance of all bands correlates more to la onger time of harboring HIV than to being an LTNP.  There an article here at http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/full/90/3/1133 that I've seen which discusses the phenomenon if you can wade through it.  It's almost like the virus' last laugh on our bodies, causing us to produce more specific antigens.

As for my original WB, that was almost 9 years ago;  and I don't recall seeing a new one amid all of the test results from NIH since 10/05 (I can doublecheck in a few days when I get home. in Alaska now).  I recall my doctor iremarking that the results were "unusual but quite conclusive" when they came back, and weeks later a comment about the WB and not being surprised that my VL could go from 700K to under 400 after amonth of meds.  I'll have to call his office to see if he can pull that report out for me, too.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline srmn98

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:42:16 pm »
Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I'm curious ... anybody else out there have a Western Blot with all bands reactive ?

Thanks,

Erika

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 06:37:37 pm »
Hi Erika

In my case, I don't know the answer. My old labs are all in the USA and I'm living in Australia now. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:29:35 am »
Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I'm curious ... anybody else out there have a Western Blot with all bands reactive ?

Thanks,

Erika

All mine were reactive. I'd been positive for four years before I was diagnosed. I've been positive for ten years now, but I don't quite qualify as a LTNP because my viral load is always detectable and has been as high as in the 90,000s, but as low as 7,000 something. My doctor calls me a long-term SLOW progressor, not non-progressor.

I'm not on meds yet and I'm no-where near needing them either.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline srmn98

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:52:02 am »
thanks also, ann and paul.

i think maybe it is time for me to go to the science library !! 

:)

erika

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 03:19:44 pm »
I don't quite qualify as a LTNP because my viral load is always detectable and has been as high as in the 90,000s, but as low as 7,000 something. My doctor calls me a long-term SLOW progressor, not non-progressor.

Doesn't the hair-splitting medically-based BS make you want to scream sometimes?  I'm an LTNP based on my labs off meds and my having a B44+ HLA allele, but I'm not an "elite controller," just a "viremic controller," since I keep a viral load in the hundreds.  It's almost as maddening as the "poz but healthy" crap one reads in online profiles.

David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.