Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Poz in Indo  (Read 4255 times)

Offline pursuit

Tested Poz in Indo
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:23:58 am »
Hi all, I am 36.y.o male living in Indonesia. I just tested positive exactly a month ago and am still in a very depressed mode. I have no plan to tell anyone about this, ever, as the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS here is unbearable.

I was tested reactive on Anti HIV using 3 different reagen (compounds?) on 29th March, then on the 1st April I tested my CD4 (412 and 22% - result came in a week). On the 2nd April I tested CD4 in a different hospital, the result came in less than an hour (373 – no percentage given). Viral load (RNA) was checked later that week and came in at 16900.

I met a counselor and a doctor and they both suggested me to start HAART soon. I recalled they mentioned Truvada as the first line treatment for me. I haven’t made any decision on treatment until now, still trying to let the feeling sink in and to read/absorb everything in this forum. 

My question is, do I still need a WB Test to confirm? And what are the genotype test and their importance before starting HAART?  I believe such test is not exist in my city but after my first meeting with the doctor, she checked my blood for SGPT, Creatinin, GDS (not sure what it is), Haemoglobin, PCV, Leukosit and Thrombosit – all came back with “normal”. I am wondering if genotype test is similar to this or not.

I am glad I found this forum, the learning lesson so far has been extraordinary. Yes it has been excessively consuming my time, and I hope the reading would slow down once I am totally settled with my HIV status. I hope to hear from anyone. There are many more questions running through my mind at the moment, but as other member have put it elsewhere in this forum, I have to take one day at a time.

Thanks and cheers ….

Offline xasxas

Re: Tested Poz in Indo
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:30 am »
More informed poster might chime in with better answers, but since I am in your time zone, I'll take a crack at answering some of these questions.

If you have any viral load, I am pretty sure that is an iron clad confirmation that you're infected as it measure the amount of virus in your blood per milliliter.  So a western blot is probably not necessary if it hasn't been done already.

The genotype test is a test done to identify what if any drug resistances your strain of the virus has.  Usually this is done before prescribing a drug regimen to make sure you get prescribed the right drug.  The genotype test is not similar to the other tests you mention, as those measure the health of your kidneys, liver, etc.

I hope this helps.  Things might seem bleak and scary now, but it gets better.  Take care.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:13:42 am »
You must have a WB to confirm that you are HIV positive . Once you have that confirmation then you can discuss other test and treatment if need be . Best of luck and welcome to the forum .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline pursuit

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:29:40 pm »
Xasxas and Jeff, thanks for your response.

If you have any viral load, I am pretty sure that is an iron clad confirmation that you're infected as it measure the amount of virus in your blood per milliliter.  So a western blot is probably not necessary if it hasn't been done already.

I am becoming more confuse now in regard to the need for having WB Test even though my Viral Load is showing up some number. WB Test is extremely rare in my country, I definitely have to travel to the capital and only 1 hospital offer this test.

Anyone can shed some more light please? Thanks

Offline pittman

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:14:16 am »
HIV tests are actually testing for the antibody to the virus and not the virus itself. When you get an HIV test and test positive, there is a chance for a false positive. The western blot test is considered definitive, and used for confirmation as a standard practice.

Viral load tests are generally not tests used to determine HIV status.  However, as a viral load test is testing for the virus itself rather than the antibody, I cannot see why it would not be considered equally definitive.

Here is a link to the U.S. FDA website talking about using a viral load test for the purpose of diagnoses.  (note it is from 2006)

However, even it suggests that a follow up WB or antibody test is recommended.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForPatientAdvocates/HIVandAIDSActivities/ucm124430.htm

Offline pursuit

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:29:08 am »
Thanks for the info pittman. Will get my hands on WB.....

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.