Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:03:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 309
Total: 310

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tim has brought up an interesting point.  (Read 6177 times)

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Tim has brought up an interesting point.
« on: March 01, 2007, 08:41:54 pm »
CBS is using us as industry fodder.  Surprise.

You know... I thought this was supposed to be educational or something... and there have been a couple of really awesome posts in the CSI forum... but most of them seem to rely on these pathetic deus ex machina ideas ("liek OMG, maybe it could srsly be a lab errer!"  or "wouldnt it be sooooo cool if an experimental drug was discovered that wuld cure stella??????????!!!!!!!!!") or on equally pathetic fantasy.

I'm not directing my complaint against the CSI forum, or the collaboration between this site and CSI (God knows I have no interest in reviving that corpse of an argument), but I'm getting a little tired of seeing this fucking disease that I live with be used to grab some goddamn ratings all the while cynically saying that it's for "education" and "outreach."

I'm calling bullshit on that.

I know, I know... I shouldn't be surprised... and I'm really not.  But there's a difference between the abstract of knowing "this is such a transparent ruse to seem open-minded while really to grab viewers" and the reality of seeing HIV/AIDS being used in that way.

What I'm saying is... I'm getting a little sick of feeling exploited by this whole thing.  I imagine I'll get used to it... but I'm only on my twenty-fifth trip around the sun, and kindly allow me to bitch about the remaining shreds of my idealism being pulled away by the world.

I'm down to three shreds, in case you're wondering.

Such is the way of the world... I know.  I'm not completely daft or unobservant... but don't expect me to me to smile and bend over while the world rapes me up the ass.   
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: Tim has brought up an interesting point.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 08:56:28 pm »
I beg to differ, I think my own "twist" of the ending was the best so far....albeit childish and written in a sleepy haze.

I think that this has been done before and I'd like to believe that someone had the idea to put HIV back on everyone's agenda. However, if that was the case, she should have had a risk from a love affair. The whole idea of getting it from a glass appears to erect a barrier. HIV is spread by unprotected sex and that is the problem in the real world.

HIV should invade her conscious through actions that people do that lead to transmission - namely unprotected sex. Not some random glass incident that occurs about once a year world wide. "Oh a tragic story to get a HIV risk from your job...."  If the show was about breaking taboos and talking about the issues then it should have confronted getting HIV in a manner that DOES normally happen. Count up the million or so recent infections and tell me how many got it from broken-blood-stained glass. Then count up the number of unprotected incidents.

Does having a broken-glass transmission route send out the message that you should have protected sex so you aren't at risk? Does it tell people to use condoms? Nope, just rubber gloves..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:00:19 pm by HIVworker »
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Lis

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 08:58:22 pm »
sweetie, lots of stuff changed on this site  as soon as POZ was involved.... dont let it eat at you.. there is still a way to learn from their mistakes...
poz 1986....

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 08:59:15 pm »
Such is the way of the world... I know.  I'm not completely daft or unobservant... but don't expect me to me to smile and bend over while the world rapes me up the ass.

You know Benj,

It's become painfully apparent that you have three shreds of idealism left in you...

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA HOW WE CAN GET RID OF THEM? SUGGESTIONS?

ANYONE?
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 09:00:39 pm »
sweetie, lots of stuff changed on this site  as soon as POZ was involved.... dont let it eat at you.. there is still a way to learn from their mistakes...

I wasn't here before POZ was involved... so I can't really say or have an opinion on that because I don't have any first-hand knowledge.

I'm trying not to let it eat at me... so I get it out.  All of it.  Like psychological vomit... then it doesn't bother me so much anymore...

Le sigh...

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:04:09 pm »
Just for my education, why do people think it got bad when POZ got involved? How has it changed? Or should I start a new thread about that.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Lis

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 09:05:54 pm »
it got bad when POZ got involved...

MY OPINION ONLY!!!
poz 1986....

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 09:33:49 pm »
Just for my education, why do people think it got bad when POZ got involved? How has it changed? Or should I start a new thread about that.

R

I can't say it got worse, but the CSI forum is another story. While it might have been started for raising AIDS awareness , it soon became very apparent that it was nothing more then a chat site for screen writer wannabe's.
I decided never to go there, I mean most are realy bad to begin with, and I don't watch the show .
Maybe a better thread would be how useless is the CSI forum!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:52:53 pm »
I read the CSI forum for a laugh sometimes. Lordy those people can be dumb, but then they watch CSI so what can one expect? I've got posts in a couple of threads there which started out in Orf Torpic or Living With, but were moved by a Goderator.

The CSI forum doesn't really faze me a great deal. Sure, it's a sewer trap, but I don't have to go there if I don't want. There was a troll called "bleedinganus" buzzing around there yesterday, but the Powers That Be seem to have dealt with him.

Have the forums changed since POZ took over? For sure. For the worse? In some ways. The official aspects of the place are much prissier and I assume that there are other agendas that have influence in the running of the place now, not just those of the Founder.

But these things are what they are. Like I've said on other occasions, I come here because a lot of my online mates come here. And they haven't changed.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 10:04:42 pm »
Bleedinganus made me think of The Sicilian Wedding Sheet.   ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 10:07:57 pm »
Bleedinganus made me think of The Sicilian Wedding Sheet.   ;)

I read bleedinganus' posts last night.

I was a fan.

He was able to paint mental pictures with the skill and dexterity of Michelangelo... and his wit... he was like the Truman Capote of AIDS.

It was a shame to see him go.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 10:09:13 pm »
Bleedinganus made me think of The Sicilian Wedding Sheet.

Oh for those days again!

Yairs, bleedinganus was special. I'm sure his fragant little nuggets are still in cache somewhere.

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 10:15:29 pm »
I must go in search of the collected posts of Bleedinganus.

As for The Sicilian Wedding Sheet, there's still some posted commentary related to that tale that I have yet to finish reading.  (since we're speaking of fragrant little nuggets.)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 10:21:53 pm »
I can find no record of the Bleedinganus in the Member list.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lis

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »
It is all a lie... the wedding was planned around the females period....

OH MY GOD!!! HE WAS DUPED!!!!!!!!
poz 1986....

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 10:27:31 pm »
I can find no record of the Bleedinganus in the Member list.

He was flushed into the void dear. I'll scour my internet cache and see what I can find for ya. ;)

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 10:47:33 pm »
Fragrant nuggets from a bleedinganus, vaginally launched eels and squids, thermometer punishments....

are you all sensing a tone in my tastes this evening?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 10:48:25 pm »
Fragrant nuggets from a bleedinganus, vaginally launched eels and squids, thermometer punishments....

are you all sensing a tone in my tastes this evening?

John Waters once said, "You have to have good taste to understand bad taste."

Get it, boy.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:39 pm »
To veer back toward topic a hair...I was doing OK with ignoring most of the crap around CSI until I started running across threads that the CSI bunch would post in the wrong sections here in the forum.  Even though it was probably just a mild flu bug or whatever, I've been sick for several days now...and anytime I get sick on that level, there's always that little nagging voice that creeps in that says shit like, "You know....you haven't had your VL checked in awhile.  You did miss that bit of meds...Nah.  It's nothing....but then again..."

Anyway, it just began to, um...annoy a widdle bit to be sitting right here in the middle of all this dealing with HIV in my very real life while all around on my little, um...support forum here....it's now commonly just batted around as a fancy plot twist by a bunch of armchair hollywood wannabees.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 12:47:54 am »
Once we stopped dying and there was money to be made we became just another commodity in a very lucrative niche market.

As a radical queer I've taken a stand and will remain a CSI virgin.

p.s I have been ill...I hate everything and everybody...except Sam.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 12:49:27 am by Dachshund »

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 04:07:53 am »
bleedinganus was the result of a shredded condom. Too bad the delete button is only effective on this site.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2007, 01:08:24 pm »

Anyway, it just began to, um...annoy a widdle bit to be sitting right here in the middle of all this dealing with HIV in my very real life while all around on my little, um...support forum here....it's now commonly just batted around as a fancy plot twist by a bunch of armchair hollywood wannabees.

This was the only real surprise I found after my absence from the fora. In the past, I'd take up swords with WWs in the Fears (sorry, AII) forum and with due diligence explain that getting a hand- or blow-job isn't risk behavior no matter who is giving it.

But the CSI detrious washed up on our beach makes me cringe and wail. The viewpoints of fly-overland's finest had never entered by hearing range before. It's dismaying if rather unsurprising.

Brent
(Who has always understood that his posts would someday be collated into a book, and a damn good one, too)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 11:18:10 am »
the CSI forum is another story. While it might have been started for raising AIDS awareness , it soon became very apparent that it was nothing more then a chat site for screen writer wannabe's.

are screenwriter wannabee's a "fickle" bunch generally speaking? if so, then expect to see them wander off elsewhere

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 11:21:20 am »
are screenwriter wannabee's a "fickle" bunch generally speaking? if so, then expect to see them wander off elsewhere

Most of them have done exactly that... they write an extremely poorly written post full of crap ideas, maybe leave a few responses to others and then leave.

The problem is, they reproduce like rabbits...

After this story arc is over, the screenwriter wannabes will all probably be gone... and good riddance.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.