Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:51:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 466
Total: 466

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Ann please help  (Read 13883 times)

Offline noxplode1

Ann please help
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:05:01 am »
Hi guys I am a college student have been tested conclusively negative for everything but did something stupid with a friend over the weekend while intoxicated, shared a line of cocaine with a bill.  first and last time i will be doing that.  he does not do it often either, and there was no blood present from either of us and i barely even touched my nose with the bill, sure didn't put it up it at all.  I need to know how risky this was with regards to HIV. He told me he has been tested and hes a buddy of mine but I am still concerned.  Also with Hep C how risky is it? I saw Ann say something to someone as it was their first time that they probably didn't even need testing at all for anything because their nose was still strong or something but I do not know for sure. Please help it was a dumb mistake and I will never do it again, how risky is this with regards to HIV?

Offline noxplode1

Re: Ann please help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:10:43 am »
will also mention we only both did one each and mine was a very small one at that

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:12 am »
You are worrying needlessly about HIV. There was no risk of HIV transmission in the manner you are concerned about with having shared a bill while doing cocaine. We focus strictly on HIV here, but I will say you weren't at risk for hepatitis either.

As far as sexual risk for HIV, the only confirmed ones are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you consistently use condoms for those activities you will be well protected.

This time there is no need for HIV testing nor for further concern on your part.
Andy Velez

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:00 am »
Thank you Andy, so I can be 100% certain there was no HIV risk then? I appreciate the quick reply, and I know you guys only focus on HIV but you really don't think this requires any testing for Hep C either? On the side of this page it shows a needle and dollar bill and says to get tested for hep c but some places seem to consider it a negligible risk for hep c or none at all.

You have never heard of a case of HIV being acquired in this manner? Is it just simply not possible due to the nature of the virus?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:08:17 pm »
HIV is a fragile virus. It quickly becomes non-viable when exposed to the air. I've never known of a confirmed case of transmission through sharing a bill to use coke.

As for hepatitis, it's a good idea to have a checkup in general and to make sure your Hep B shots are up-to-date. Discuss protecting yourself against Hepatitis in general with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 12:11:09 pm »
i recently had a test for hep c in early july and that was negative and i have up to date shots for hep b, i was just curious if i needed to retest again for hep c in relation to this specific incident

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 12:30:02 pm »
Also Andy a question about how you say HIV becomes non viable when exposed to air, if this was the case how come people can get hiv from sharing needles? Wouldn't the virus be exposed to the air before it was reused?

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 01:38:26 pm »
my friend told me he was tested for everything shortly after christmas and rarely ever does cocaine so i guess i will just put it behind me and realize i did not have any real need for testing. thanks

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 06:09:31 pm »
ann have you ever seen anyone being infected with hiv through sharing a bill? i really want to know there is no chance of being infected this way

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:25:57 pm »
this is what dr hook said on medhelp about a similiar situation- do you agree fully?

Your risk of getting HIV from sharing a cocaine "sniffer" or bill is about the same as your risk from kissing or drinking from a glass just used by a person with HIV - zero.  This is the case even if the person who used the pipe before you was HIV infected and left a small amount of nasal secretions on the device.  Similarly, your history of nosebleeds does not change your risk.   

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:18:31 pm »
Yes, I do agree wtih that evaluation.

You were not at risk. Period. Give this up and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02:21 pm »
ann i don't want to reiterate on the same questions, but you seem to know a lot about hep c as well, the doctor on medhelp said it was a very small to zero risk, especially being my first (and last) time and him not doing it much either.  My friend said he was tested a few months ago for everything and I was curious as to if my situation warrents Hep testing? I know this is an HIV forum and i apparently have no risk in that regard but I would love some advice if you can. There was no blood from either of us present and my nose barely touched the bill.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 08:05:58 am »
Nox,

Chill out already. No one has EVER been infected with hiv through sharing snorting equipment and you are not going to be the first.

It is thought, however, that hep C can be transmitted this way. However, I doubt very much that would have happened with you only using the rolled-up bill once. If hcv transmission is going to happen that way, it's more likely to happen at a big party where many people are sharing snorting equipment and snorting much more than one line.

You're getting yourself all worked up for no good reason. Stop it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:14:01 am »
Thanks Ann so there is absolutely no need for hiv testing and im probably fine with regards to hepatitis being it just the one time? Thanks for the help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:18:06 am »
Nox,

You only need to be tested for hiv if you are a sexually active adult. You really do not need to worry about hcv in this situation either.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS DRUG SITUATION, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:10:21 pm »
ok I was tested in june for everything which was several months after the last time i had sex and have had no risky encounters since then.  I am just really scared i screwed up my life from this one time lapse in judgement. I am not worried about HIV anymore because from everything ive seen and read it simply isn't transmitted this way, i just wish i knew how likely it was that i acquired hep c.

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 01:16:29 pm »
Ann one final question- when you say you really do not need to worry about hep c in this situation, if you were me would you even test over it or just do it when i do my next yearly physical and sti examination? Is the chances that low when neither of us were bleeding at all?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:38:16 pm »
Nox,

I wouldn't give this one-off a second thought.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:55 pm »
hi ann i just had one final point, this site has been extremely helpful and please do not ban me this will be my last question.  with regards to hiv it does not matter if i only used the bill a minute or so after him? there is still NO chance of transmission? I see on websites saying that not just needles are a risk for hiv but cotton swabs, water used in the drug process etc. i just wanted to make sure i was not irresponsible by not getting tested over this incident.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »
It doesn't matter if he had just used it and handed it to you. You were not at risk.

If you come back with more questions and what ifs about this incident you are going to get a Time Out.

Once again, you were not at risk. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 02:40:24 pm »
thanks andy, i will let it go and move on.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 02:53:08 pm »
That's a good move.
Andy Velez

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 02:28:07 pm »
sorry i have another question- why do some websites state that there is a risk for hiv in my situation? couldn't a small amount of hiv survive on the bill and be transferred to me if i did it very shortly after him? is it really ZERO risk? I felt so good after my last negative hiv test and I do not want to take a risk by not testing over this incident. For instance, there have been cases of oral sex transmitting hiv however you guys state it is no risk, is this a 100% i do not need to worry situation for there is no way it could happen?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 02:38:09 pm »
sorry i have another question- why do some websites state that there is a risk for hiv in my situation? couldn't a small amount of hiv survive on the bill and be transferred to me if i did it very shortly after him? is it really ZERO risk? I felt so good after my last negative hiv test and I do not want to take a risk by not testing over this incident. For instance, there have been cases of oral sex transmitting hiv however you guys state it is no risk, is this a 100% i do not need to worry situation for there is no way it could happen?

The only sex that is zero risk is using your own hand on yourself. Otherwise any sex is "theoretically" risky. But we know from long experience in the epidemic that sexual risk for HIV is about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

If you continue to surf the net I can promise you that you will find fuel to feed your worst fears. All to no good purpose of course. You did not have a risk. Period.

If you continue to return with more doubts and what ifs you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from this site. Consider yourself warned.

HIV is not your problem. Period. 
Andy Velez

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:02 pm »
hi ann, sorry to bother but my anxiety is up a little bit after some sites stating a possible theoretical risk. Why do some sites say you can get HIV from a crack pipe, or even a shared razor or toothbrush when both would be exposed to air etc.  Please do not block me I just would like to know if my situation is truly zero risk. I have not really had any symptoms, except I was warm one night around 37.7 for a few hours, then back down the next morning, no sweats or anything.
Is it irresponsible not to test for HIV from my one off experience? From everything you guys know is it truly a no risk exposure? We probably both used the bill within a minute or two apart and i did not se any visiible blood to my knowledge. Please don't block me

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »
Nox,

We have already told you that you have not had a risk for hiv infection and our answers are not going to change, no matter how many times you ask. As for the outdated and outright WRONG misinformation some sites publish, well, you'll have to ask THEM why they publish such crap.

If you can't let go of this, go test, collect your negative result, and move on with your life.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like I've previously asked you to and like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned for the last time!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 02:06:34 pm »
Thanks Ann, I will let it go..You wouldn't test in my situation? I will take your guys expert advice because I have been a bit of a worrywart in the past and do not want to go down that road again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 02:16:06 pm »
Nox,

Why on earth would I test over a NO RISK situation? Give it up and get real.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline noxplode1

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 10:39:17 am »
Hi guys back again question for you I feel like i know the answer but I am sometimes a little paranoid myself. I was on a break with my girlfriend and made out with a couple different college girls last weekend over the course of the night and fooled around with one girl afterwards.. we did not have vaginal sex or oral afterwards from what i recall and she confirmed this in the morning. kissing, masturbation etc are all no risk activities are they?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 12:19:01 pm »
That's right. Those are not risks for HIV. You ought to know by now that the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. That's it. Use condoms everytime for those activities and you will be well protected as far as HIV is concerned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.