Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:55:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 221
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ways to cope with nicotine cravings  (Read 3827 times)

Offline SASA39

Ways to cope with nicotine cravings
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:02:54 pm »
Move. Do deep knee bends, run in place or climb the stairs. A few minutes of brisk activity may stop your nicotine craving in its tracks.

Replace. Try a stop-smoking product instead of a cigarette. Some types of nicotine replacement therapy — including patches, gum and lozenges — are available over-the-counter. Nicotine nasal spray and the nicotine inhaler are available by prescription.

Face yourself in the mirror. List out loud the reasons you want to quit smoking. Include the benefits of staying tobacco-free, such as a longer and healthier life, and more money — and time — to spend on things you enjoy.

Breathe deeply. Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. You might even inhale air through a drinking straw.

Call for reinforcements. Team up with someone who doesn't smoke for a quick chat or brisk walk.

Make believe. Imagine your lungs getting healthier as each minute passes.

Do the math. Add up how much money you'll save by not smoking for a week, a month or a year. Make a list of luxuries you could buy with your savings — or calculate the interest you'll earn by investing the money.

Read a quitter's blog. Post encouraging thoughts for someone else who might be struggling with nicotine cravings.

Drink up. Sip a glass of ice water slowly. When the water is gone, suck on the ice cubes.

Sort your recipes. Jot down the ingredients for a few good-for-you recipes you've been meaning to try. The next time you shop for groceries, you'll be a step ahead of the game.

Laugh. Share a funny story with a friend, or search the Internet for a funny joke.

Plan ahead. Make a list of all the ways you can reward yourself for making it through another nicotine craving.

Freshen your breath. Brush and floss your teeth, rinse with mouthwash or suck on a breath mint.

Clean your closet. Discard any clothes yellowed by cigarette smoke or damaged with cigarette burns.

Try a mind bender. Do a crossword puzzle, word game or number puzzle.

Get soapy. Wash your car, scrub the floor or give the dog a bath.

Keep your mouth busy. Chew on a cinnamon stick, flavored toothpick or sugarless gum.

Get musical. Whistle, sing or play a musical instrument. Ask a partner to dance.

Have a ball. Dribble a basketball, hit a tennis ball against the wall or play catch with a partner.

Be positive. Remind yourself that the power to quit smoking is in your hands.

12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Ways to cope with nicotine cravings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:46:52 pm »
Don't forget Chantix! It worked for me.

Oh, and one other thing. Don't start taking Sustiva in the middle of trying to quit smoking.

It almost undid all the benefits provided by the Chantix. I actually did cheat - twice.

YUCK! My favorite brand of ciggie tasted like crappola!  The smell was enough to put me off.

So, I guess that means I am making headway in beating this thing.

I haven't cheated but those two times, and not at all since I dropped the Sustiva.

Mostly now it is reminding my self that I haven't had nicotine in my system in months, the cravings are just mental habit, nothing more.

Now, where is that ice cream !?!

HUGS,

Mark

(Who loved Al's photos from Egypt.)
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:35:05 am »
thanks for that! I only smoke 1-2 a day, always after dinner in front of the TV. It may not sound like an addiction, but when I crave it, I just gotta have it!

Add another tip: smoke freely as you watch "Requiem for a Dream". That alone made me quite cold turkey for more than 2 years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 07:22:03 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline chrism1973

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:23:30 am »
Mark,
      any side effects from the chantix?? I just started it last night.
                                                                                         Chris
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:15:46 pm »
I'm going to have to do this bare knuckled, cold turkey.  :o       Drink plenty of fluids to help flush your system!

No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 02:06:18 pm »
Hey Chris,

I get momentary nausea about 30 minutes after I take Chantix. But I turned it into a positive by thinking, "Gee, that means its kicking in."

Aside from that I had some wild dreams for a night or two, but nothing else.

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

Lisa, honey, if I could, I would send you the Chantix. But, siince I can't, I will be crossiing my fingers for you - and for Daniel Mark, who also is going cold turkey.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 03:54:00 pm »
Chris,

I quit smoking using Chantix too.  My last cig was on March 14, 2007.
I did get the nausea like Mark, but I noticed if I ate before taking it, I didn't feel sick.

good luck to you.

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:58:07 pm »
Kudos to all of us who have successfully stopped smoking and I wish great success for those who are trying to. Do whatever it takes to get there.

I myself quit on May 14th 2007. The first labs that I had after I quit were on July 3rd.

In December of 2005 at 150 t-cells I started taking my HIV meds. From then until April 4th 2007, while I continued smoking, I only increased 123 t-cells.

After quitting the cigs I jumped the same amount (123) in only two months. All things considered, quitting was the only variable. If that isn't a testament to quit, I dunno what is!  :)

Although I know I'm not far enough yet to say I'm 'out of the woods', my success with the initial quit was based on these things...

• 1. Able to get 2 months of free patches (yes free based on income). 21mg through 7 mg.
  • 2. Support and guidance from a smoking cessation program such as http://www.ashline.org/
  • 3. Staying away from current smokers as much as possible during the first couple of months.
  • 4. Keeping my mind, hands and/or body occupied so as not to be able to focus on occasional cravings.

(Edited to include quit information.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 11:03:37 am by marc11864 »
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 06:44:26 am »
Lisa, honey, if I could, I would send you the Chantix. But, siince I can't, I will be crossiing my fingers for you - and for Daniel Mark, who also is going cold turkey.

Could you also cross your toes for me, Mark? This time it’s much harder for some reason.

I may have to give in and try the Champix (Chantix) route too if I can't get a grip on this thing.

Oy freaking veh!

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline ds4146

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 07:41:01 pm »
I knew there was a reason why I checked in today. Fourth day without a smoke, this time I am going make it. Thanks for the tips.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 08:17:04 pm »
FYI:   I have a month's supply of Chantix extra I can send someone.   I have a whole nother batch for myself when I'm ready again, but email me re: the extra.  It'll be a first come first serve deal! ; )

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.