Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:57:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Needle Stick  (Read 17953 times)

Offline alex12

Needle Stick
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:08:38 am »
Good Morning,

I have a question concerning transmission.  I understand a lot of data has been collected about needlestick exposures.  I believe the statistics relate to transmission risk associated with HIV-infected blood.

What is the risk of being infected if the syringe had been used to inject a flu virus or human growth hormone and then one was stuck or scrapped by a needle after the injection was given or sometime afterward?  Is there a difference between this scenario and the above risks associated with HIV-infected blood?

Many thanks!
Alex

Offline RapidRod

Re: Needle Stick
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 11:23:21 am »
You wouldn't have had a risk. Why do you ask?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:38:09 am »
Alex,

It sounds like you are talking about some sort of whatif type scenario. We don't deal in speculation here. If you have a specific concern, please explain it to us so we might be better placed to help you.

If you are worried about having a re-used syringe used on you to get a flu shot - forget it, it doesn't happen. No doctor or nurse is going to risk that kind of lawsuit.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alex12

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 12:09:49 pm »
Hello, I was concerned because I was in an apartment where someone was injecting medications (I believe Human Growth Hormone for Liver Disease) and may have encountered one of their used syringes.  I don't believe I was stuck but my have scraped the needle end.  Thus my concern and interst comparison to data for Blood Filled syringes etc.

Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:25:32 pm »
Alex,

What you describe is NOT a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alex12

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:04 pm »
Thank you for your note.

Can I ask why it is not a concern?  How is the risk different from other Needle Stick encounters (is it that there is not specifically blood involvement?).  I don't believe it was 'stuck' but am not completely certain.  Would you response has been different if I had been 'Stuck'.  I did not see any insertion area but am still obviously concerned.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline alex12

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 06:48:28 pm »
Hello Ann and Rapidrod,

Can you inform me why the risk is reduced or non-existant if stuck with a needle used to inject Growth Hormone used by someone else (not mine)?  Is it because there is no blood involved or nothing left to inject? 

I apologize for harping on the subject just a bit scared/nervous.  I did read the link regarding Transmission Rapidrod sent but had the lingering questions that did not seem addressed as such.

Be Well!
Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 05:34:12 am »
alex,

It's actually rare for a health care worker to become infected through a needle stick injury. We know this because needle stick injuries are common, but needle stick related hiv infections aren't.

You have to remember that when needle stick injuries happen in a medical setting, it is usually seconds after the needle has been in a patient. A needle you've come into contact with that has been lying around the house isn't going to be a risk because hiv does not remain viable outside the human body.

Hiv transmission via shared needles for injecting street drugs is much more common for several reasons. One is that when a person is injecting, they must find a vein. In order to make sure they've got a vein, they draw some blood into the syringe. This means traces of blood end up inside the syringe, to be pushed directly into the bloodstream and body of the next person who uses the syringe.

HGH is normally injected into a muscle, so you don't get this blood involvement.

So like we've told you, you didn't have a risk when you were scratched by a needle.

You might want to have a word with your roommate about the proper disposal of his used needles. He needs to get or make a sharps box - something as simple as an empty soda-pop bottle will do.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 12:19:58 pm »
Hello

Would it make any difference if I were stuck as opposed to scratched with a needle previously used by someone to inject Human Growth Hormone.  Can one assume because the injection is into a muscle the risk is reduced?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 02:36:55 pm »
alex,

Re-read my previous post to you. There's nothing new to add. You haven't had a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 09:00:41 pm »
Hello,

Would it have made any difference if the needle/syringe that had been used by someone else scratched me and left a small scab, had broken the skin (left a small scratch/scab)?

Is it not a concerns because there is not blood associated with syringes used for injections (growth hormone) and thus blood is not introduced from an infected person to myself?

Thank you, Alex12

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 06:25:10 am »
Alex,

If you are standing around, waiting for your roommate to inject his growth hormone and then immediately picking the needle up and jabbing/scratching/poking yourself with it, then you may have a problem on more than one level.

However, if you have simply come across one of his needles and nicked yourself with it, then you are absolutely worrying over nothing.

I hope you have had a word with your roommate about his needle-disposal methods.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 03:30:26 pm »
Hello Ann,

Thank you for your help.  I was curious if the Home Access test is accurate after 40 days (a couple of days short of 6 weeks)?  I asked Home Access but received the following response from them to my question and am a bit confused as to their time line of 3 to 6 months.

Q:  Can you tell me which generation your test is (I think it is second generation) and how your test compares to newer generation tests (3rd, 4th generation).  Essentially, how early can it test for antibodies and when is there no difference in testing tine as compared to the 3rd, 4th generation of tests?

A:  Dear Client,
After 6 weeks there is no difference in generation, and since the recommended time for an antibody test is 3 to 6 months after a risk, it has absolutely no relevance to our testing. We are a 2nd generation test. A 3rd generation test may pick up antibodies a few days earlier.
Thank you,
HAHC Call Center

Thank you,
Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 04:38:54 pm »
Alex,

They are simply using the CYA (cover your ass) method of information dispersal.

You should know by now that while most people will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, the official window period remains at three months. It is three months to catch the rare person who may take slightly longer than six weeks to seroconvert. A six month test MIGHT be warrented for someone who is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, taking anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or has been injecting street drugs every single day for years... IF they had a definite risk.

I still think you are worrying over nothing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 04:48:48 pm »
Hi Ann,

Thank you for your note!  Would a 40 day test make any difference as opposed to six weeks for the Home Access test.

Intellectually, I agree with you, but emotionally is a separate issue,

Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 05:29:24 pm »
Alex,

Two days is not going to make a huge difference. If you haven't already done the test, wait the two extra days for your own peace of mind.

I'm betting on a negative result no matter when you take it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 12:59:58 pm »
Hello Ann,

I did take a Home Access test on day 54 (7/8 weeks) that was negative.  I believe it was more for emotional purposes.  As such, are the results accurate for the Home Access test after 54 days?  The company did inform me that it is a Second Generation Test and that Generation does not matter after six weeks.  Could you explain this and would a 3rd or 4th Generation test have been more useful?

Many thanks and Happy Holidays!
Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:53 pm »
Alex,

The newer generation tests only make a real difference in the first few weeks.

It is highly unlikely that your 56 day negative result will change. Read your entire thread again and remind yourself that you had no risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 10:33:38 am »
Hello Ann

I had another question concerning risk/transmission.  I had been fingering a woman and shortly afterwords used the same fingers on a facial pimple that had some puss and small amount of blood. 

Would there be any risk associated with using the same fingers on this area that was exposed (puss/blood)?  I would think it remote but best to ask anyway,

Thank you, Alex

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 10:54:12 am »
No, you were not at risk for squeezing or touching a zit, be it headed or not.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 10:55:11 am »
Alex,

No, there is no hiv risk in pimple popping after fingering.

Anytime you plan on popping pimples, you should wash your hands before and after - not because of hiv - because you will spread bacteria around. Wash your hands - it's good hygiene.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 04:18:05 pm »
Thank you Ann,

Can I ask why no risk if blood or fluid form pimple is involved?  Why is there no risk
for such when there are these potential openings/routes?  Just curious as trying to understand from a medical perspective.

As always your information is helpful,

Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 04:28:59 pm »
alex,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect when it is outside the human body. That is why this pimple popping thing you describe is not a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 04:36:31 pm »
Thanks Ann

What if the secretions on my fingers mixed with the blood/fluids on the pimple surface?  Is it the same no risk? 

Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 04:45:20 pm »
Alex,

Still no risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »
Hello Ann

Quick question,  Is there any risk associated in sharing a razor.  My disposable razor was used by a roommate, and then used by me approx. 12 hours later.  I did not cut myself shaving. 

Any risk?  Thank you, Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 12:44:18 pm »
Alex,

You didn't have an hiv risk with the shared razor.

It's not a good idea to allow anyone to use your razor, from a good hygiene point of view. As far as hiv concerns go, not one person has even been infected this way and you won't be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline alex12

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 01:00:14 pm »
Hello Ann,

Thank you for the oh so fast response!  I usually put my personal things away, this was the one time I had forgotten to do so.

Thanks again, Alex

Offline alex12

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 05:30:14 pm »
Good Afternoon Ann,

I hope this find you well!  Another quick question, I believe there is not a risk but it calms me to here it from an expert;

I had an electrician over working on the bottom of an appliance and he cut his knuckle.  I could see a small amount of blood.  Approx. 10-12 minutes later he finished and as he left he shook my hand (the ne with the cut knuckle).  My hand does not appear to have any cuts or abrasions. 

Is there any risk or is this well outside the rang of concern?  Thanks again for all your help over the months.

Alex

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 07:00:53 pm »
Alex, read the tranmission link found in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline alex12

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 07:22:20 pm »
Hi Ron

I did just need emotional confirmation of no risk,

Alex

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 07:29:24 pm »
You were never at risk.

Offline alex12

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 09:55:31 pm »
Hi Ann

Do you have the same opinion of risk as Rapid Ron?

Thanks everyone for your help,

Alex

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2007, 03:10:16 am »
Not Ann, but I'll offer the same opinion as Rod. Your were never at risk.
You really, really need to hit the lessons section as a starting point to learn how HIV is and isn't transmitted.
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_9960.shtml
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:14:03 am by 411 »

Offline alex12

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2007, 07:42:16 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your input.  It is much appreciated. 

Ann, do you feel the same as Ron and others?

Alex

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2007, 07:54:54 pm »
Why do you think that having this conversation since November will allay your fears? Seriously.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline alex12

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2007, 08:07:32 pm »
jk

it was a differnet situation then november,
if you have something constructive to say i'd
be glad to read such,

alex

Offline alex12

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 05:23:26 pm »
Hi Andy or Ann

Do you agree with the others as to no risk,

Alex

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2007, 05:48:04 pm »
Alex,

You had no risk. Have you learned nothing in your time on this forum? Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted through unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse or sharing drug injecting equipment. When hiv finds itself outside the human body, it quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect. You have already been given this information. Please re-read your thread.

You did NOT have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 04:35:07 am »
Alex,
You've really worked yourself into a frenzy. All these what-ifs are loose and running around in your mind with real risk of damaging the merchandise.

Rather than indulge your questions, because they simply lead to more questions, I think its more important that you consider the single relevant fact that nothing you reported was risky for HIV transmission. Consider this as well, if you had experienced a risk do you think anyone here would try to tell you otherwise.

I understand the difficulty in trying to rein in worry but try harder in trusting the facts from those with a LOT more experience in these matters. You haven't experienced any risk in any of these situations. It's either that or you will need some sit down time with a councillor.

Offline alex12

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 05:53:24 pm »
Good Afternoon Anne,

I had a quick question regarding ARS. I had a very low risk exposure close to six weeks ago. Tested Negative at 4 weeks. At 5.5 weeks I experienced a Migraine Headache that lasted about 2.5 to 3 days. No fever, just a bad migraine headache with sensitivity to light, motion and slight nausea etc.. Felt fine after 3 days.

Are these ARS symptoms or is 2.5 days of feeling ill not relevant.

Thanks, Alex

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 06:00:25 pm »
Alex,

Thank you for returning to your original thread.

You say you had a "very low risk exposure" about 6 weeks ago. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on that so we can determine if there was any risk at all.

Irrespective of that, your symptoms are suggestive of a migraine. They have nothing to do with HIV.

MtD

Offline alex12

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:32 pm »
Hello,

Risk:

Offline alex12

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 06:25:24 pm »
Hello,

Risk;
1.  Exchanged oral with a woman I was dating 6 weeks ago.  Did not use a condom or dental damm

2.  Was at an event about 1 week ago.  Speaking to someone to a man and some of their saliva/spit ended in my eye.  Don't believe a risk there but unsure..

So, 5.5 weeks after exposure with woman had Migraine that lasted 2.5 to 3 days.  When does ARS start and for how long does it last?  I read headache is a symptom but maybe combined with other symptoms?  Is 2.5 days too short?  Is Migraine ever associated with ARS?

Sorry for all the questions but it helps dal with the anxiety.  Oh, I did test negative with Home Access Test at 4 weeks.

Alex

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 06:28:19 pm »
None of these things are a risk for HIV. Your unnecessary 4 week test result is conclusive. You don't have HIV.

MtD

Offline alex12

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 07:19:31 pm »
Hi MtD

Thanks for the response.  Are Migraines ever indicative of ARS?  JUst curious, when do ARS symptoms normally appear?

Alex -

How is Anne?  Is she still about?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 07:23:25 pm »
Alex,

Ann is just fine and she agrees with Matty about your concerns.

You didn't have a risk in anything you bring to us and therefore your four week test is conclusive. You don't have hiv.

I suggest you re-read the Welcome Thread and follow the link to the Transmission Lesson for a refresher course.

Migraines have NOTHING to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.