Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When it Rains it Pours  (Read 10726 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
When it Rains it Pours
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »
OK just left the G.I. Doc office and he ask me some questions ( general health ones)

how is my urinary problems, you said you get up @ least 3 to 4 times a night to pee

so I will be referring you to a Urologist, and this is what he told me

"Dennis your too young to be having these type of problems your only 55"

so he put my on HYTRIM 2Mgs @ bedtime, he says this will do 2 things
it will kick-down your blood-pressure, and stop you from peeing so much during the night, and you'll probably get a better night's sleep  ::)

also he wants to do a Upper Endoscopy (EGD) he says, that you aren't suppose
to be taken acid-reflex meds every day like you've been doing for the 6 yrs.

he thinks something may be going on down in the Esophagus as you had to stop
drinking, I can no longer drink beer, it gives me headache, red wine gives my the RUNS, and hard liquor is like swallowing shards of glass  :-[

he also said that your too young to be experiencing any of this again, your only 55

and as for the rest of my gut issues, he now thinks it could be something in the upper GI-tract that could be the root of most of your G.I problems  ???

so here we go AGAIN, I hope it all pans out well for me, if not oh well  :(

so that the end of my rant at least for now  :(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: When it Rains it Pours
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:21:08 pm »
"...you're only 55"
that's in normal-people-years, you know. ::) In AIDS-years (you know, like dog-years)
you're easily 85 or 90 and dealing with routine issues.  ;D :-* ROFL

hope you get some (more) answers and some help for these extra problems, my friend.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »
that's in normal-people-years, you know. ::) In AIDS-years (you know, like dog-years)
you're easily 85 or 90 and dealing with routine issues.  ;D :-* ROFL

hope you get some (more) answers and some help for these extra problems, my friend.

ROFLOL  yeah , yeah, I know I'm an old dog thanks for reminding of that (in HIV/AIDS or dog yrs)

thanks for making my laugh Mikie, it made me feel better after reading your post my friend  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:38:15 pm »
Dennis, I have heard the same song "You are too young for this..."   yeah, right.

Urinary problems can make you miserable; I have run the gamut with this mess, up to having prostate surgery in Feb.   I'm glad to say most things are MUCH much better; urge, frequency, and emptying are all better.  The thing that's not is the dribble when I finish...I mess up lots of underwear.   I'm just a pissy old queen.

HUGS,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »
urge, frequency, and emptying are all better.  The thing that's not is the dribble when I finish...I mess up lots of underwear.   I'm just a pissy old queen.

HUGS,
Alan

yeah that is what the doctor says, the dribble urge, frequency, and emptying isn't suppose to be so frequent  :-[

that why he's referring me to a Urologist, he ask if I've ever discussed any of this w/ my ID Doctor,

and I told him, I only see her once every 6 to 7 months since I've been UD for the last 7 yrs. there's isn't really anything HIV/AIDS related that she needs to see me about, so he said he would send her some emails, and consult with her about all of this  ::)

oh and Alan dear, I don't see you as a pissy old queen, but thanks for making me laugh tho, your too funny  ;D

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
Hope you get some answers.  Oh, I've been taking acid reflux meds for about 15 years. :P  Good luck with the doctors.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »
Hope you get some answers.  Oh, I've been taking acid reflux meds for about 15 years. :P  Good luck with the doctors.

Thanks Betty  :)  well I learned something today  :-[ what I thought was normal really wasn't normal @ at all
I mean I've had these problems for a few yrs. ( about 3 to 4 yrs.)  and it was a wake-up-call for me  "who Knew"  I sure didn't  ::)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »
Dennis, first of all, you are still a young man, if you were negative.

I will disagree with your GI guy, only because we, as pozzies, age more rapidly.

A doctor told a friend of mine to take his chronological age and add 15 years to find out his physiological years.

Of course, that really sucks, because it makes me 70, but you get the idea.

I hope you get it all figured out.

Oh, and I have been on acid reflux meds for at least a decade - daily.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline jm1953

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:54 pm »
Hey Dennis,
Sorry to hear about this latest complication.   As you say it's always something.

I too disagree with your doctor.  Sounds like he may not get HIV too well.  I think seeing a Urologist is important.  Your pee'ing alot at night could be due to a prostate problem or something in the urinary area.  I'm seeing a Urologist now, not for the same reason, but I do know the prostate can cause these problems.  Have you had a PSA done recently?

Everyone else is right.  Our bodies are not reflective of someone healthy in our age group.  I feel like a 70 year old at 59, so I get how you feel.  We just have to go with the flow and keep supporting each other.

Keep us in the loop Dennis,

Best always,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »
We just have to go with the flow
I see what you did there. ROFL

mikie
who believes, for us LTS, 50 is the new 70 LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:46:59 am »
Thanks Mark, yeah my G.I doc just dosen't get HIV/AIDS and the whole aging thing, he keeps telling me that anything over 200 T cells and being UD is very healthy...... when he told me that last yr. I just wanted to laugh @ him, but I was nice about it and kept my mouth shut......LOL

Jeff, no I haven't had a PSA test, however I'm sure the Urologist was be doing this ASAP as soon as I see them, my hubby Bob is on Testosterone and has been on it for the 8 yrs. he has PSA test quite often....

my blood pressure was a little high in the G.I office yesterday 152/90 and that kinda freak me and everyone else out, they made me lay down for about 20 min. before I saw the G.I doc, I didn't really notice anything it just felt like the top of my head was gonna pop-off and my eyes were kinda bugging out  :-[

Offline deibster

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:52 am »
Dennis, Since you don't think this GI doc gets it (CD4 200 & UD is great) is there another GI doc available?

Did they take your blood pressure again after resting for a while? I had to go to the hospital Saturday for a skin infection over my elbow. When they kept me for x-rays etc, my blood pressure went up to 150, highest ever, as I had a wedding to go to that night with relatives that I hadn't seen for 4 years & I didn't want to miss it. They took my blood pressure again when they were checking me out & it was down to 135, so they didn't put me on any hypertension med.

I've been on reflux meds for 15 years, but then I had a gastric ulcer when I was working full time. My doc says that because of the ulcer, I should stay on the reflux meds forever. Best of luck. hugs Deiby
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:29:27 am by deibster »
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 10:41:42 am »
Terazosin (ter ay' zoe sin)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000933/

Is what he put me on @ bedtime

G.I doc thinks that my Esophagus spinkster ( the part that controls  how much acid)  comes up ,isn't working correctly, if that is dilated that would explain why everything you eat or drink causes that reflux, also if it is, he says there is surgery to fix this  :-[

that why he doing that Upper Endoscopy (EGD)  procedure next month  :-\

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:12 am »
"G.I doc thinks that my Esophagus spinkster ( the part that controls  how much acid)  comes up ,isn't working correctly, if that is dilated that would explain why everything you eat or drink causes that reflux, also if it is, he says there is surgery to fix this  ".......dennis

Yup, Thats the definition and root cause of acid reflux.  Been on that Nexium stuff for 12 plus years.
Only, I was never offered surgery
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »
Just a quick update on my Upper Endoscopy (EGD)  procedure, it got canceled twice  :o

so I'll have to reschedule it sometime in AUG or Sept 2012

so nothing to report back about yet, I'll update as i find out more info  ::)

Offline denb45

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »
Just a quick update on my Upper Endoscopy (EGD)  procedure I had today....

They took some biopsies and they sent them to the lab, I'll find out in about a week, I had very bad heartburn while in per-op, so they give me some IV-peptide and something else...

It made me feel better, before they put-me-under, then the give me something in the IV, and I don't recall much after that, but they were very good DRUGS  :P

Sent me home w/ some perocetts  ( I had to pick up on the way home), if it gets to hard to swallow and I have any pain & tenderness , they said drink & eat soft foods for a few days .......if this doesn't go away by the end of the week to call them ASAP!

told me to ask my ID Doctor to change your heartburn meds to something a lot stronger, they did see some GERD: Esophageal Erosion and Ulcers , and said it wasn't too bad but treatable  :-[

Hope they don't find anything that's not good in the biopsies they took  :(

Offline deibster

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:20 am »
Dennis,
It seems to have gone well. I hope the biopsy results are great. Take care of yourself.
Hugs, Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 10:23:20 am »
Dennis,
It seems to have gone well. I hope the biopsy results are great. Take care of yourself.
Hugs, Deiby

Yeah I'm still on soft foods  :-[  till WED the 15th  the pain-killers ( the perocetts) I tossed them, all they did was make hurl  :-\

hugs

DEN

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:11 am »
the pain-killers ( the perocetts) I tossed them, all they did was make hurl  :-\
ah, now that's no fun. I hope you get to feeling better soon!! <3
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:14 am »
It'll be fine I'm sure.  We're some tough old birds. :o

Sending positive thoughts your way buddy.

Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 10:39:35 am »
Well the G.I Doctor has poked and prodded me from both ends, and hope that now they can come up with a better solution on how to treat this horrid Upper & lower G.I. problem

on a side note  (if any of you didn't see me eat much food in D.C.) at least now you all know why, I was kinda scare of gettin SICK while there......

Hugs

DEN

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 10:42:55 am »
Those test are never fun ... I hope you get some relief and feel better .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »
Hello Dennis,

I hope this leads quickly to some sort off regime that controls or eliminates these troublesome symptoms , there just the sort off thing that can tip the day into blah plus not getting a good nights sleep is no way to start the day. So I hope soon you can toast these pains goodbye with the top tipple off your choice.

best of best
michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.