Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:56:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Paula Dean announces she has Type 2 Diabetes, vows will not change how she cooks  (Read 31388 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
I'd never heard about fried pickles until Jersey Shore and Snooki. Sounds horrible.

Now that I think about it, the federal government should start charging Southerners a higher tax rate to offset the health costs associated with their insistence on bad dietary habits.

DISCUSS!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:12:09 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
I'd never heard about fried pickles until Jersey Shore and Snooki. Sounds horrible.

It's literally all over the place here in the south, at least. From The Ren Faire to TGI Friday's to high end Gastropubs like Flip Burger to just about every Barbeque place. Easy to prepare, cheap, and when done well, even tasty.

I don't imagine it's worse than any other southern fried dish like Okra, Green Tomatoes, and the occasional Scotch Egg.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

Now that I think about it, the federal government should start charging Southerners a higher tax rate to offset the health costs associated with their insistence on bad dietary habits.

DISCUSS!

Southern states already get back much more money from the Federal gov't than they send in, so this will be hard to do.

Fried pickles are okay.  My favorite is fried mushrooms dipped in mustard or ranch dressing.  Yum!  Those can be hard to find, though.  And, they have to be fresh mushrooms.  I hate the processed, frozen ones. 

Offline Miss Philicia

Southern states already get back much more money from the Federal gov't than they send in, so this will be hard to do.

Fried pickles are okay.  My favorite is fried mushrooms dipped in mustard or ranch dressing.  Yum!  Those can be hard to find, though.  And, they have to be fresh mushrooms.  I hate the processed, frozen ones. 

So why should the rest of the country subsidize your bad eating habits? Tax the unhealthy food like you do cigarettes and you folks can earn to eat applesauce. Actually you should all be forced to live on baby food for a year until you lose weight.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic

DISCUSS!

I totally agree with this statement and at the same time we should charge northerners a higher tax rate to offset the cost of removing the stick from their collective asses.

Offline skeebo1969

I totally agree with this statement and at the same time we should charge northerners a higher tax rate to offset the cost of removing the stick from their collective asses.

No where better to start than the holey grail of a human overweight sloth hole than Massachusetts.  They think just because it's seafood it's healthy to deep fry everything.  Plus the liquor store on every corner only applies to the white neighborhoods up here..  they truly are quite progressive. lol

I also love the coined term used here called Irish flight syndrom....

I chuckled the other day in class when a classmate said the US would be a better place if it didn't include the South....  Mean while the same guy changed seats in lab because he had an African lab partner sitting next to him.

Trey, trust me the North just think they're better. 

It's all lies...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

You'd have a stick up your ass too if your tax dollars were being siphoned off by a hypocritical geographical entity that lives on oxycontin abuse, Medicare scooters, and fried twinkies.

Offline Growler

lives on oxycontin abuse, Medicare scooters, and fried twinkies.

You've just described my dream retirement.....where do I sign up for my green card and can I have fries with that?

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline skeebo1969

You'd have a stick up your ass too if your tax dollars were being siphoned off by a hypocritical geographical entity that lives on oxycontin abuse,

The reason all the pharmacies up here post signs they don't sell Oxys is because you all like to rob them.  C'mon man, I know y'all are just bitter because it's a long ride down to Florida to pick up your fix. 

Oxy abuse is rampant here and only surpassed by heroine.....

Offline Miss Philicia

You've just described my dream retirement.....where do I sign up for my green card and can I have fries with that?

GROWLER

I highly recommend Natchez, Mississippi -- Trey/Hellraiser can give you the low down on where to get reinfected with AIDS. Or maybe the highlands of eastern Kentucky... that's like ground zero for oxycontin and scooter activity, combined with daily shopping at Walmart. It's like a modern version of the Hatfields and the McCoys... I'm sure you've heard about that down in Australia.

Offline buginme2

The south frightens me.  All that fried food and Jesus.  Y'all
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

I'll just add that aside from the Northeast (and specifically only the liberal I-95 corridor area) the only other place I can conceive living is the Northwest. I've always had this idea in my head of living on the Oregon coast. Nor do I mind rainy weather... very good for the skin!

Offline Growler

I highly recommend Natchez, Mississippi -- Trey/Hellraiser can give you the low down on where to get reinfected with AIDS. Or maybe the highlands of eastern Kentucky... that's like ground zero for oxycontin and scooter activity, combined with daily shopping at Walmart. It's like a modern version of the Hatfields and the McCoys... I'm sure you've heard about that down in Australia.
Reinfected!....you mean I can have teh AIDs twice! Glory be to Jebus! Youz Americans surely are the nation of double portions and plenty for all :)

I've always dreamed of going to a WALMART. Rumor has it you can be born, baptized, bar mitzvahed, bred and buried before even finding your way to the checkouts on your 500 pound capacity scooter.

It all sounds just like heaven on a stick....the righteous baptist kind, not that sinful Mitt Romney rot in hell with your 10 slut wives kind.

Count me in bubba, GROWLERS coming home to jebus!
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline wolfter

Or maybe the highlands of eastern Kentucky... that's like ground zero for oxycontin and scooter activity, combined with daily shopping at Walmart. It's like a modern version of the Hatfields and the McCoys... I'm sure you've heard about that down in Australia.

STAY AWAY FROM EASTERN KENTUCKY!!!!!   I thought I had seen adjunct poverty and stupidity in WVA until I made the near fatal mistake of visiting Inez County Kentucky.  The true armpit of civilization.  I was driving a nice car and got lost and ended up parking my car on a coal crusher and not able to back it off.  The police showed up and I learned I was trespassing on a private road in Wolfcreek Coal Company property.  Promptly arrested and my car was impounded.  Spent a night in a jail that consisted of an old farm house and the jailers were an old couple that lived downstairs.  Luckily my parents wired the $500 fine first thing in the morning and I was released and went to retrieve my car and escape that hell hole.  Oh, and I was informed that my back window was already busted out and there was no stereo when they towed it.  At least they replaced my nice wheels with ones that at least held enough air to get back back across the WVA border. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

Perhaps WVA is too northernized as I don't witness the obesity problem that you all profess.  My entire extended family grow their own food, work the fields and are generally self sufficient types.  Lard is not a staple of their diets. 

Wolfie

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Reinfected!....you mean I can have teh AIDs twice! Glory be to Jebus! Youz Americans surely are the nation of double portions and plenty for all :)

Count me in bubba, GROWLERS coming home to jebus!

Growler, you would be more than welcomed, we have a lot more here in the US besides jebus land & walmart  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline buginme2

Perhaps WVA is too northernized as I don't witness the obesity problem that you all profess. 

Maybe its all the meth that is cooked up in y'all s trailers that is keeping y'all so svelte.

;D
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline denb45

STAY AWAY FROM EASTERN KENTUCKY!!!!! 
Wolfie

Greg, that's what you get  trolling for dick in those back woods  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

Greg, that's what you get  trolling for dick in those back woods  ;)

Now how did you figure that out so quick? :o

Can't help that tall, skinny country boy type fascination I have.

Wolfie

Offline Miss Philicia

Perhaps WVA is too northernized as I don't witness the obesity problem that you all profess.  My entire extended family grow their own food, work the fields and are generally self sufficient types.  Lard is not a staple of their diets. 

Wolfie

You've obviously not spent much time in Huntington.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Switzerland - children overweight:

The proportion of children who are overweight did increase in Switzerland. Between 1960/65 and 2007, the prevalence of overweight among children aged 6 to 12/13 rose from 5.1% to 11.3% in boys and from 5.4% to 9.9% in girls.

Obesity:
Between 1960/65 and 2007, the prevalence of obesity among children aged 6 to 12/13 rose from basically 0% to 5.4% in boys and from 0% to 3.2% in girls. Forecast projections show that in 2022 the proportion of obese children will increase to 4.3% in boys and 3.4% in girls.

USA - childhood obesity:

Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years.
The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.
In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/obesity/facts.htm

Yes it is shady to argue she doesn't have to eat the fatty foods she cooks. But she's promoting the fatty foods as normal, delicious, the indulgence you deserve, because why not.

The Swiss have a pretty crap ass diet, really, the base ingredients can't be much different the base ingredients of an American diet.

Something has gone wrong in the USA to have resulted in such hideously heavy calorie intakes being considered the daily normal, rather than the grand exception.  All those frightening fast food sandwich and meal concoctions of the last 10 years. Huge proportions.  And its all too cheap, maybe, even though its surely expensive for the poor or working poor.  (A large bag of name-brand potato chips is 5-8 bucks in Switzerland.  Convenience and pre-prepared food is all rather expensive. And huge proportions and strange "top this" food fads don't exist.)

Michelle Obama is fighting the good fight and Paula Dean is selling out her fans.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Miss P that Madonna gif is a fabulous appetite suppressant!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

somewhat off topic but check this video out...

"The stark reality why "man made" fats ( Hydrogenated and Partially Hydrogenated Oils or Trans Fats ) Cause Heart Disease, Weight Gain, Cancer, ADD / ADHD and other disease and dysfunction in your body."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwVAkrHLq4&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:39:14 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline mecch

Maybe if Twinkies were resized and marketed as effective fireproof insulation for crawl spaces and attics, the company could be saved from its bankruptcy.

Offline Miss Philicia

Miss P that Madonna gif is a fabulous appetite suppressant!

Did you see the entire interview last week? It was on 20/20. Must be on youtube by now.

Offline denb45

Maybe if Twinkies were resized and marketed as effective fireproof insulation for crawl spaces and attics, the company could be saved from its bankruptcy.

Or maybe the place would be over-run with rats eating up all of those Twinkies  :D

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Something has gone wrong in the USA to have resulted in such hideously heavy calorie intakes being considered the daily normal, rather than the grand exception.  All those frightening fast food sandwich and meal concoctions of the last 10 years. Huge proportions.  And its all too cheap, maybe, even though its surely expensive for the poor or working poor.  (A large bag of name-brand potato chips is 5-8 bucks in Switzerland.  Convenience and pre-prepared food is all rather expensive. And huge proportions and strange "top this" food fads don't exist.)

Michelle Obama is fighting the good fight and Paula Dean is selling out her fans.

Says the man who trolls the woods of Switzerland looking for cock.  Did someone have a show on TV that made your do that?  No, I bet you do it because you like it.  So, perhaps -- just perhaps -- people over-indulge in food because they like it, find comfort in it, whatever -- I doubt it's because Paula Dean made 'em.

I still have a hard time understanding the venom coming at this lady here.  I rarely watch her show, have never cooked anything she's made, but her JOB and her diabetes aren't connected.  She has diabetes because of her diet (which may or may not mimic her show), her genetics, her exercise routine (or lack there of) and, perhaps, bad luck.

M

Offline mecch

Did you see the entire interview last week? It was on 20/20. Must be on youtube by now.
(Of course. Even the sneak preview that morning!  She is so strange now. And that Golden Globe acceptance speech. Ew. She's comeoff badly in interviews for years.  Course I enjoy the whole spectacle but sometimes just in a perverse way. Which may be a kind of link to Paula Dean. Maybe fans (Dean, Madonna) have the distance to see it's a: "All hope abandon ye who enter here" kind of entertainment.  Please don't do as I do, just enjoy the excess of it all.)

Offline Miss Philicia

I still have a hard time understanding the venom coming at this lady here.

Really? You have no problem with the fact that she took three years to disclose this and in the context of being the major US proponent for this type of food, with cooking shows, books, etc.? Then suddenly switching gears and cashing in as a pharma spokesperson? I mean come on girl.

Did you run around the world after your AIDS diagnosis trying to convince everyone to bareback daily in sex clubs, while not disclosing your own infection? For three years? Then suddenly become a commercial model for Gilead meds?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:19:44 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
I'm just wondering how long they had this in the works and if it was a response to her admission?

From the look of things, according to the episode guide, it appears to have just been added to the lineup fairly recently.

And she does appear in it to share whether she thought that Bobby was successful in his attempts to lighten things up.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

Offline zach

fkn yankees get your fingers outta my fry

y'all sound like ron paul blaming us for our lifestyle choices

yeah, eating food fried in lard has consequences, and obviously she misled her audience for profit

edited to correct the spelling of you all
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:50:18 pm by zach »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
 cheese burgers for diabetics . all things in moderation . 

http://www.easy-diabetic-recipes.com/diabetic-burger-recipes.html
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

“the most dangerous woman in America.”

-- Anthony Bourdain

Offline bocker3

Really? You have no problem with the fact that she took three years to disclose this and in the context of being the major US proponent for this type of food, with cooking shows, books, etc.? Then suddenly switching gears and cashing in as a pharma spokesperson? I mean come on girl.

Did you run around the world after your AIDS diagnosis trying to convince everyone to bareback daily in sex clubs, while not disclosing your own infection? For three years? Then suddenly become a commercial model for Gilead meds?

Nope I don't have a problem with it. 

She didn't have to disclose her diabetes -- well, not until she decided to "cash in".  (Would you really NOT cash in if you could?)

Your attempt to tie her situation to mine simply doesn't fly.  Everyone has to eat -- and there is NOTHING wrong with eating "bad stuff" on occasion.

Now, I am NOT a Paula Dean fan -- I just find all this "outrage" a bit outrageous.  It's right up there with banning McDonalds or other such insanity.  The obesity problem in the US has very little to do with Paula and her peers and everything to do with the ease of access to and cheap price of "bad" food.  You can get a double cheesburger for a buck but have to pay $1.25 for navel orange.  Makes no sense.  Add that to the fact that one needn't walk or move like we did 20, 30, 40 years ago and well -- fat people. 

I eat things I shouldn't at times and I have never really watched her shows (bits and pieces when she's been on TODAY, etc), don't own her cookbooks -- so I don't need Paula to direct my diet. 

You all give Paula far too much power.

Mike

Offline denb45

cheese burgers for diabetics . all things in moderation . 

http://www.easy-diabetic-recipes.com/diabetic-burger-recipes.html

Oh Honey, Jeff are you on insulin? dayumm  listen you take care of yourself now.....ok  :(

Offline Miss Philicia

Has anyone here attempted yet to define "moderation"? Riiiight, didn't think so.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Oh Honey, Jeff are you on insulin? dayumm  listen you take care of yourself now.....ok  :(

OH I'm OK , insulin is so much better than the stuff I used to shoot on my rosy complexion .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Has anyone here attempted yet to define "moderation"? Riiiight, didn't think so.

I always figured it meant that you can do anything you want up to the point of puking .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

OH I'm OK , insulin is so much better than the stuff I used to shoot on my rosy complexion .

:) glad to hear that Jeff  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

I just had take out from Han Dynasty and thought I'd use some of the left over chili oil to administer an enema to bocker. Whaddayathink?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
I just had take out from Han Dynasty and thought I'd use some of the left over chili oil to administer an enema to bocker. Whaddayathink?

I'm starving now thanks ... and waiting on my friends sofa for him to come home and cook me dinner .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

Moderation is just beyond the point of what I do.

Wolfie

Offline Miss Philicia

Hey folks, the GOP debate/clown show just began. If you need to force a bulimic purge of your dinner quickly turn on CNN.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©

OEMGEE... She is freaking defiant.

Paula Deen Caught Eating a Cheeseburger

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

"Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business, so I can profitably sell crutches later."

@anthonybourdain

Offline bocker3

You better pick a better restaurant than THAT if you think you are getting any where near my ass!!  I'm not Grandma Wumpy.....  I want to be properly wined and dined (non-alcoholic wine, of course) before I give it up.

M

edited to correct a typo or two

Offline Miss Philicia

You better pick a better restaurant than THAT if you think you are getting any where near my ass!!  I'm not Grandma Wumpy.....  I want to be properly wined and dined (non-alcoholic wine, of course) before I give it up.

M

edited to correct a typo or two

Actually it's the best Chinese in the city -- better than anything I ever had in NYC even. If you order General Tso's chicken the chef comes out and personally tells you to go to McDonald's. Earns raves by the local newspaper food critic and all the top level chefs eat there on their night off... was kind of a secret place until this past year now it's swamped constantly. You obviously didn't look over the menu closely!

But it was suggested for an enema because the spicy level is so high and intense that it would surely burn off any residual HPV issues you may have.

But if you insist on better ambience we can go to Zahav for Israeli tapas (I know, odd concept). It's around the corner. Wumpy would never eat somewhere that serves grilled duck hearts or branzino with celery root.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:24:21 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline bocker3

Actually it's the best Chinese in the city -- better than anything I ever had in NYC even. If you order General Tso's chicken the chef comes out and personally tells you to go to McDonald's. Earns raves by the local newspaper food critic and all the top level chefs eat there on their night off... was kind of a secret place until this past year now it's swamped constantly. You obviously didn't look over the menu closely!

But it was suggested for an enema because the spicy level is so high and intense that it would surely burn off any residual HPV issues you may have.

But if you insist on better ambience we can go to Zahav for Israeli tapas (I know, odd concept). It's around the corner. Wumpy would never eat somewhere that serves grilled duck hearts or branzino with celery root.

My HPV issues seem to be under control -- if you have just jinxed me into having a return there will be hell to pay....   ;D
I do love tapas, but while I will personally pass on the duck hearts -- I'll bring Sid along who will happily devour them.  He hasn't met a duck part he doesn't want to eat............

M

Offline skeebo1969

OEMGEE... She is freaking defiant.

Paula Deen Caught Eating a Cheeseburger

It should read under the photo:       Atkin's Diet
                                               (you're doing it wrong)                                           

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.