Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:14:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do I Need to Fast for Any of these Tests?  (Read 38044 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Do I Need to Fast for Any of these Tests?
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 05:22:43 am »

I have never been tested for chlamydia, but I guess that's one you'd probably know you had? 

Not necessarily. Up to 80% of people never notice any obvious symptoms. This is one of the reasons why sexually active people should have a full sexual health check up at least once a year.

Some others often don't have noticeable symptoms - notably syphilis. Primary syphilis chancres (sores) are painless, so if you get one where you can't see it, you won't know it's there. Gonorrhea can be without noticeable symptoms as well.

So far I've only been asked to fast before blood tests once - to get a base-line lipid profile before I started meds. It was so good they're not going to bother again until this coming summer when I've been on meds for a year.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 07:35:44 am »
Dont like swallowing gooey stuff huh? Sux for your hubby.

Oh I just saw this. Your hubby must be so happy married to a goo-guzzler. Oh wait a minute, you don't have a husband. Unless you count your imaginary marriage to the Biebs. Was that tenuous enough for ya? :P Remember no goo after midnight.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:11 am »
Yeah, but isn't the glucose usually a part of the CBC?  I know it always lists glucose on the CBC report.  Perhaps they just list it under the CBC.  I've never had a glucose specific test, where I was told to fast.  The only time I've been told to fast was for the lipid screens.

No -- Glucose is a chemistry test, CBC (Complete Blood Count) is a Hematology test.  CBC is looking at blood cells, glucose is measured in your serum (the liquid portion of your blood AFTER clotting out all cells).

In actuality, there is some sense in, at least a small fast, for many/most tests.  Due to the fact that a good number of tests are actually determined using light, having a high fat meal shortly before a blood draw really could leave fat-filled blood, making it difficult to always get accurate readings.  Of course, I've been away from clinical labs for a long, long time now and perhaps they have found a way to minimize this affect, but I doubt it.

Fasting is a must for some tests, because they are actually testing for things that would be elevated after eating/drinking (like lipids or glucose).

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 10:06:09 am »
Glucose falls under "Comprehensive Metabolic Profile"
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:11 am »
Now you people have me all confused. I will ask when I get to the lab in a bit.

-W

ps- Im drinking shitty black coffee right now.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:47 am »
For the longest time, and after hearing all the jokes about your eating habits, I pictured you as chunky.  I think there are also jokes bout lack of physical activity. 

So, how do you stay in shape?  Do you exercise, or are physically active at work or home?  Good genes?  Or, are all the jokes very, very exaggerated?

I have never weighed more than about 178ish, I'm 5'11. I walk or jog at least 3 miles every few days. I work out a couple times a week.

See, if y'all would turn down the constant background White Noise that is commonly referred to as MissP and Rev Moon some of these true facts would come out.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 10:46:21 am »
Now you people have me all confused. I will ask when I get to the lab in a bit.

-W

Bad news girl, coffee is verboten if you're fasting before your labs.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:45 am »

If you're drinking shitty black coffee, then you broke your fast - at least according to what I've been told in the past.

Every time I've had to do fasting bloods I was told anything other than water - black, sugarless tea and coffee included - counted as a fast-breaker.

(I've done a few fasting-bloods years ago pre-hiv, not just the time pre-meds that I mentioned earlier.)

Maybe they were being extra-cautious, I donno. Calling Mr Bocker?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2013, 12:03:22 pm »
\Every time I've had to do fasting bloods I was told anything other than water - black, sugarless tea and coffee included - counted as a fast-breaker.
I have my lab work done in the mornings, as I don't eat breakfast, so this solves the whole fasting issue. However I could never start a day without some Coke in my system. So I have always broken my fast - but always by about the same amount and with the same beverage - so at least my labs should be consistent if not 100% accurate. LOL ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »
If you're drinking shitty black coffee, then you broke your fast - at least according to what I've been told in the past.

Every time I've had to do fasting bloods I was told anything other than water - black, sugarless tea and coffee included - counted as a fast-breaker.

(I've done a few fasting-bloods years ago pre-hiv, not just the time pre-meds that I mentioned earlier.)

Maybe they were being extra-cautious, I donno. Calling Mr Bocker?

I could be wrong but the last time I had fasting bloods they made me reschedule because I told them I had black coffee.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:32 pm »
The only -- ONLY -- time in twenty years I've been required to do a strict fasting is for surgery (due to anesthesia) or for a cardiologist (myocardial perfusion scanning). Like I said, repeatedly, for an HIV-related blood draw they all know I take food with my twice-daily dosing. They probably prefer that I eat dry toast as opposed to raiding the McD's drive trough a la Feast-de-Guilhermina, but that's not particularly an issue for me. If I had lipid panel undesirable results they would probably get more strict with a pre-test fast, but alas I don't have that.

Seriously, some of you people go overboard with this stuff.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »

T'was only following orders, M'am.  ~tips hat~

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:29 pm »
The only -- ONLY -- time in twenty years I've been required to do a strict fasting is for surgery (due to anesthesia)

That's what they say, but I think it's so you don't shit on the operating table.  ;D
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »
That's what they say, but I think it's so you don't shit on the operating table.  ;D

It's so the anesthesia doesn't make you puke and choke and clog up your ventilation tubes and be a general pain-in-the-ass for the anesthesiologist. Nothing to do with shitting at all.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »
The only -- ONLY -- time in twenty years I've been required to do a strict fasting is for surgery (due to anesthesia) or for a cardiologist (myocardial perfusion scanning). Like I said, repeatedly, for an HIV-related blood draw they all know I take food with my twice-daily dosing. They probably prefer that I eat dry toast as opposed to raiding the McD's drive trough a la Feast-de-Guilhermina, but that's not particularly an issue for me. If I had lipid panel undesirable results they would probably get more strict with a pre-test fast, but alas I don't have that.

Like I said the only blood draw I've had which required fasting (can't remember what they were testing for) they asked me if I had eaten or drank anything. When I told them i had a cup of coffee they made me reschedule. No biggie. I could care less if you eat a whole suckling pig before your labs. I'm sure they're just trying to get you out of their office as quickly as possible.

I'm sitting on my deck enjoying a beautiful 70 degree morning. Unfortunately we're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »
Personally, I think it easier to just fast before my blood draws, especially since I get them done first thing in the morning.  And that's the direction my physician has always given me.  I'm sure Wumpy can forego his Eggo waffle, or tacquito from Whattaburger, for just one morning.   Oh, and even black coffee does break the fast, at least that's what I've heard several times when I've gone to the lab and the phlebotomist scolded some of the other patients.

What I'm really curious about is:

• Why no lipid panel?   :(   Seriously? 
  • What's the real reason for the extensive screening for STDs.   ;)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58:55 pm »

• What's the real reason for the extensive screening for STDs.   ;)

Because apparently my doc does not believe me when I tell her I am not a cum-dumpster tramp. She always slips some STD test in there every time.

As fart as the fasting, Pretty much all of you queens are wrong according to my Lab gal. None of the tests I had requires fasting.Only the Lipid panel requires a fast (which was not ordered this time). Also, even on Lipid panels she said a "little" black coffee is ok. like half a cup.

Had a horrible experience today. After being told I didnt have to fast a little boy sits down next to me and starts unwrapping a delish breakfast Taco. I wanted to punch him in his precious face and take the taco, but unfortunately assaulting a minor is still frowned upon. Then once in back, halfway through the draw the nurse is jacking around and drops one of the viles, and at the same time bends down and RIPS the butterfly needle out of my vein, causing blood to splash on my new Baskit Tshirt. then she played jab and poke on the other arm to try to finish out the draw.

BUT, in the end y'all will be pleased to know I didn't stop at Lulu's for their Chicken Fried steak, I came straight home and just finished a banana and bowl of oatmeal.

-Will

Ps- I do so love a Whataburger Taquito  :P

[/list]
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 02:06:51 pm »
    Pretty much all of you queens are wrong according to my Lab gal. None of the tests I had requires fasting.Only the Lipid panel requires a fast (which was not ordered this time). Also, even on Lipid panels she said a "little" black coffee is ok. like half a cup.

Once again, Miss P was correct...  ::)

She always slips some STD test in there every time.

Did she look at your blooming sphincter cauliflowers?

ps: what exactly did you have for your post-not-needed-fast meal? or did you skip food and go to the adult bookstore to soak up some hot cum?
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:10:47 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 02:34:19 pm »
    I stand by my original answer.  How can you possibly get an accurate reading on your electroylite levels without fasting?  Wouldn't a supersized order of McD's fries throw the numbers off?  Or eating several bananas for breakfast affecting your potassium levels? 

But go ahead and believe some labtech over us.   ;)

OH, and I never commented on the coffee thingy.  I've always cheated in that regards as Wolfie doesn't even move without a morning pot or 2. 
    Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 02:53:35 pm »
    How am I supposed to adhere to my antiviral regimen if I am required to fast? I guess my doctor is making the hard choices for me.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
    • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
    « Reply #70 on: January 28, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »
    She always slips some STD test in there every time.
    because just like at my clinic, your doctor is getting $easy dollars$ for doing those unnecessary tests ;)
    leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
    You were leaning in to speak to me
    Acting like a mover shaker
    Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
    And I think about it all the time
    - Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #71 on: January 28, 2013, 05:20:54 pm »

But go ahead and believe some labtech over us.   ;)

Ok. I will.

Or eating several bananas for breakfast affecting your potassium levels? 

LMAO. Several bananas for breakfast? Is that what you hillbillies do? The last thing I knew that ate several banans for breakfast was Bongo the Ape.

because just like at my clinic, your doctor is getting $easy dollars$ for doing those unnecessary tests ;)

I have to pay for my tests, at least a portion of them. So this is a good point. Im going to have to speak to her about this. No telling how much money Ive been wasting.
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:53:54 pm by WillyWump »
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2013, 06:22:17 pm »
    I don't care what your lab person told you  -- glucose ranges are normally based on fasting samples.  Of course, timing is everything -- eating an hour before might be a bigger deal for some than eating 3 hours before.  What you eat may have a bigger or smaller impact -- hence, always best to fast, so that you have the "same" sort of environment when drawn.

And.........  at least in every lab I ever worked in, drinking black coffee (NO SWEETENING of any kind) does not break a fast.  It is, essentially, flavored water -- and doesn't contain anything that is being tested nor should it cause any other interference, like a high fat meal could.  Of course black coffee is just that -- no cream/milk (real or powdered) and no sugar or sugar substitute.

Honestly ladies -- is it all that hard to go have your blood drawn BEFORE you eat breakfast?  Hell -- even at my fattest, I could hold off on breakfast until 8:00 or 9:00.   ::)

M

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »

Honestly ladies -- is it all that hard to go have your blood drawn BEFORE you eat breakfast?  Hell -- even at my fattest, I could hold off on breakfast until 8:00 or 9:00.   ::)

My doctor seems satisfied doing it the way we're doing it. In fact, all four doctors I've had since 1993 have done it this way. Odd, isn't it?

Hey, I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. Should I let him know that Anonymous-Cocksucker-on-the-Internet #4138 said that he knows better than Dr. UMDNJ/Sorbonne degree and Univ. of PA faculty member?
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:37:10 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #74 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »
    I think we should revisit this often ...

i like your  pic willy. you have nice physique

:-*
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »
    Spanx makes a great male girdle does't it? Now show us a pictar with your shirt off. We both know you won't do it.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:06 pm »
    Spanx makes a great male girdle does't it? Now show us a pictar with your shirt off. We both know you won't do it.

So you can pleasure yourself and be all peverted with my rippling chest picv. NEVAH!
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 07:15:09 pm »
    So you can pleasure yourself and be all peverted with my rippling chest picv. NEVAH!

I'm sure your Grandpappy shirtless torso would instantaneously cause my plump testicles to shrivel up and fall on the floor lifeless.
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:18:06 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
    « Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 08:32:21 pm »
    I have checked several times - with both lab techs and my doc - drinking coffee - as long as it is black - does not break a fast (get it - breakfast - lol)....

Also received following clarification today from doc (I emailed her) - CBC's - don't require a fast.

Metabolic panel, glucose definitely require a fast - as do lipids.

And STDs only require a fast from guzzling (through any orrifice - sp?) slimy, white liquids (well, it probably wouldn't effect them if done in the stall of the quest restroom immediately prior to the labs)  ::)

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
    Labs:
    Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
    10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
    12/09  540    30    60   
    12/10  740    41  <48   
    8/11    667    36  <20  
    03/12  1,041  42  <20
    05/12  1,241  47  <20
    08/12   780    37  <20
    11/12   549    35  <20
    02/12  1,102  42  <20
    11/12   549    35  <20

Offline ds4146

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:05 pm »
      As fart as the fasting,
    You can fart, particularly at your age, as for the fasting, no one has offered up a link verifying which way is correct.

Had a horrible experience today. After being told I didnt have to fast a little boy sits down next to me and starts unwrapping a delish breakfast Taco. I wanted to punch him in his precious face and take the taco,
    First of all you wouldn't have the farting issue if you didn't eat shit like that. Second, to take your aggressive thoughts out on a poor little boy with probably endearing farts is just disgusting.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #80 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:36 pm »
    You can fart, particularly at your age,

LMAO, I totally didnt catch that. Oppsie my bad

Ps- LOVE your avatar. Is that a recent pic?
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:15:22 pm by WillyWump »
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2013, 02:23:51 pm »

LMAO. Several bananas for breakfast? Is that what you hillbillies do? The last thing I knew that ate several banans for breakfast was Bongo the Ape.

You're seriously going to laugh at my regular meals? ;D  A reminder from the other thread about my delicious and nutricious meals.

I know it's not smothered with gravy, but still quite satisfying.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #82 on: January 29, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
    You're seriously going to laugh at my regular meals? ;D  A reminder from the other thread about my delicious and nutricious meals.

I know it's not smothered with gravy, but still quite satisfying.

It actually looks quite good. Especially the toms. Yum.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:53 pm »
    So I got my labs back today -- my glucose reading is right in the middle of normal range. I wonder what it would be if I'd fasted 8)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #84 on: January 29, 2013, 06:05:02 pm »
    So I got my labs back today -- my glucose reading is right in the middle of normal range. I wonder what it would be if I'd fasted 8)

and Lipids?
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »
    and Lipids?

They were done last time. He doesn't do them every time -- BECAUSE MINE ARE FINE. Mebbe you should stop with the psychological projection.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:33 pm »
    My doctor seems satisfied doing it the way we're doing it. In fact, all four doctors I've had since 1993 have done it this way. Odd, isn't it?

Hey, I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow. Should I let him know that Anonymous-Cocksucker-on-the-Internet #4138 said that he knows better than Dr. UMDNJ/Sorbonne degree and Univ. of PA faculty member?

Yes, please do!  I often had to educate some docs on lab procedures.
    Of course, if you never fast, then the comparison is likely OK -- unless sometimes you eat an hour prior, or 2 hours prior.  There IS a reason that there exists post-prandial glucose testing vs. fasting glucose testing.

Of course -- I would never advocate NOT following your doctor's recommendations -- I am only giving you the facts as I know them and as I learned them while studying clinical laboratory science.

M

Offline bocker3

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2013, 06:15:52 pm »

When and what did you last eat?  Glucose should spike and return to normal within a 1-2 hour window of eating.

M

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
    « Reply #88 on: January 29, 2013, 06:26:05 pm »

Girl are you striving to be like Kris Kardashian?  You already have one thread about food.  It is not all about you on these forums.

PS: Did you get your lipids checked before you fainted?
    don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
    Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
    Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
    Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
    Past regimens
    Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
    Apr 2012: 964/22%
    Jul. 2012: 890/21%
    Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #89 on: January 29, 2013, 06:31:12 pm »

PS: Did you get your lipids checked before you fainted?

You know...hmmm. I'm starting to think NONE of you people can read. Like at all.

I didnt faint. During the blood draw the tech ripped the butterfly out of my vein. I was conscious the whole time, trust me on that.
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2013, 06:49:03 pm »
    When and what did you last eat?  Glucose should spike and return to normal within a 1-2 hour window of eating.

M

Probably a very lightly buttered toasted bagel 3-4 hours before my blood draw. Or it could have been a bowl of granola with no fat milk. And only black coffee, no sugar.

Anyway, my larger point is that obviously IF my doctor was routinely seeing something worrying over a couple of tests, and IF it was something he thought warranted a fasting, THEN he would have me come back in and do it which ever way was warranted.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:56 pm »
    Probably a very lightly buttered toasted bagel 3-4 hours before my blood draw. Or it could have been a bowl of granola with no fat milk. And only black coffee, no sugar.

Anyway, my larger point is that obviously IF my doctor was routinely seeing something worrying over a couple of tests, and IF it was something he thought warranted a fasting, THEN he would have me come back in and do it which ever way was warranted.

Well -- you are correct.  If your glucose was elevated, you would need to repeat it fasting -- although I think your larger point really is to get the last word AND prove you are right.  The Wump asked a question -- I answered it based on my professional knowledge -- what YOU do, wasn't important to me in this context.

I will continue to stand by my advice that glucose testing should be done fasting, unless specifically directed otherwise by your doctor.  That isn't based on my individual experience (i.e. anecdote) -- it's based on education (i.e. science).  Perhaps it doesn't matter in many instances, but having to repeat a test because someone had to eat an hour or so before a blood draw is wasteful -- of medical resources, time and money.

M

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2013, 10:09:09 pm »
    although I think your larger point really is to get the last word AND prove you are right. 

Seriously? You are saying that?

Hilarious

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
    « Reply #93 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:10 am »
    "I have never been tested for chlamydia, but I guess that's one you'd probably know you had?"

Someone who isn't me told me that no, you may not know you have it.

Oh, and okra is delicious.
    Code: [Select]
    2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
    2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
    2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
    2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
    2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
    2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
    2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
    2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
    2012-04-01: HIV-
    Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:47 am »

I base a lot of my diet on my lab results.  I've ALWAYS had issues with my electrolyte levels.  I think it was included in the lipid results I posted in another thread.  My potassium levels have consistently been extremely low and so have my sodium levels.  My doctor said I'm the only person he has ever recommended adding salt to my diet.  The problem is, I can't stand the taste.  And I don't eat much fast food or processed food.

Aha, found it.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:03:46 am by wolfter »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
    « Reply #95 on: January 30, 2013, 12:53:33 pm »
    My doctor said I'm the only person he has ever recommended adding salt to my diet. 

I dont even have a salt shaker at the table. I dont add salt to much of anything, only in cooking if need be, such as gravy

It really is a shame that you people cant eat like this and look like this   ::)
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:57:00 pm by WillyWump »
    POZ since '08

Last Labs-
    11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
    6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
    6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2013, 12:56:41 pm »

It really is a shame that you people cant eat like this and look like this   ::)

Hey there Milburn! How's the roid rage today?

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
    « Reply #97 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:59 pm »

It really is a shame that you people cant look like this   ::)

Oh please.  How old is that picture?  You had hair then  ::)
    don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
    Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
    Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
    Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
    Past regimens
    Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
    Apr 2012: 964/22%
    Jul. 2012: 890/21%
    Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline wolfter

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2013, 01:01:28 pm »
    I dont even have a salt shaker at the table. I dont add salt to much of anything, only in cooking if need be, such as gravy

I don't enjoy eating like that and look much better anyways. ;D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2013, 01:02:44 pm »
    Hey there Milburn! How's the roid rage today?

Winning comment of the day.   Hand her a pink tiara.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
    Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.