Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:34:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 294
Total: 294

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV fatigue, or just plain lazy?  (Read 7313 times)

Offline puertorico2006

HIV fatigue, or just plain lazy?
« on: August 01, 2007, 11:46:24 am »
I know that HIV can cause fatigue in many people depending on various factors (CD4+, VL, or OI's) but i was wondering if what I have been experiencing lately is HIV fatigue, laziness or something else. I have been too tired to go to the gym lately, I get to work and I'm tired, get home and also tired. I was walking outside and talking on the phone today and I seemed to lose my breath and breathing heavily which is strange for me considering i go to spinning class 1-2 times a week usually and dance my ass off on the weekends so it just wasnt normal. I dont seem to be congested although i do have a sore throat so i dont think that has anything to do with it.....

My CD4's did have a decline this month and they sent me back for some new labs today to decide for sure if i should start treatment but my VL is low also so i doubt the VL plays a role in my tiredness....

So are there any studies about CD4's and approximately at what numbers you start feeling fatigued??

(I havent been on AM as much lately but hope everyone is doing well :-D :-*)

-josh

Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline mjmel

Re: HIV fatigue, or just plain lazy?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:40 pm »
With all the activity you do......well, you can rule out 'just plain lazy'.
I have been dealing with fatigue for so many years that I take it in stride now as a daily occurrence. It comes; it goes.......while never really going away completely.
Josh, the shortness of breath is kind of alarming. My advice till you talk to your doc: Take it easy and stay out of the extreme temps. Maybe you have been overdoing it? Consider that your body is fighting the viral infection, as well as, building up muscles mass from your strenuous activities.
I am unable to address your specific question as I don't know the stats or correlation between fatigue and vl/cd4.
My CD4s jump around somewhere between 400 and 700. Currently at 615. Doesn't seem to matter regarding the onset of an overwhelming sense of fatigue at times.
Hope this passes soon.
Mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:16:35 pm by mjmel »

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:21:08 pm »
thanks for the reply.....I actually havent been overdoing it at the gym lately because i havent even been going often...maybe 2 times a week when i used to go 4-5....

I should check out the shortness of breath, ill ask the doctor when i go back in 2 weeks with my new labs....

As far as tempertaures go i cant really help that...but i guess EXTREME heat is better then cold hehe....its like 90 degrees lately not counting the heat index...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:30:02 pm »
It can often be multiple issues.  When I had my most fatigue problems I was falling asleep on the subway commute home from work... so it was not even late in the day and my trip was only 20 min.  Many times I missed my stop completely which is not fun in Brooklyn as it set me in a rather dangerous area.

Anyway, I eventually was diagnosed with sleep apnea but it was only the first gradation of it and damn insurance won't authorize treatment for it.  So I just live with it.  Also at that time I'd been having an non-supressed VL for multiple years... bound to do something fatigue wise, right?  Layer some depression over it all and it's not amusing.

I will say, however, that my fatigue issues are immeasurably less now that my VL is controlled for a year and my cd4's have gone up substantially.  I can still feel the apnea issue at times.

ps:  good to hear from you... I saw you on line yesterday and thought it odd you'd not been around much lately.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:31:27 pm »
Undetectable for years with a steady increase in CD4's and all I can tell you is the fatigue I experience is continual and debilitating. I adjust as best I can by taking it easy during the day before it's off to work in the evening. I don't know if it is the disease or the meds or both, but I do know that it is real for me. I'd like to tell you that my energy level has increased with an undetectable vl and an increase in cd4, but for me it just ain't happening. I guess I put fatigue in the "manageable" pile along with the reoccurring poopies.

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:40:48 pm »
I agree with Lisa that you should have this shortness of breath issue checked out.  PCP can sneak up on you and its main symptom is: shortness of breath. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:55:26 pm »
hmmmmm....can you get PCP even with CD4 of 391? (i know it can vary so 300-400 range)

i thought it was just a problem with a low percentage or below 200
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:58:22 pm by puertorico2006 »

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:59:47 pm »
Wouldnt you rather find out if anything was wrong...than say "It cant be PCP because my numbers tell me it cant be?"
Only YOU know what your body is telling you .....if this shortness of breath is NOT normal for you and is making you worry about your health, the ONLY thing to do is get yourself checked out.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:12:33 pm »
I go from 6am til 12 midnight everyday.... I have done this for years... even when I had surgery 2 years ago... I walked my dog 4 times a day with a catheter attached to my leg... not a fun experience but, one does what one has to do... enough about me...

Your a young man (23) if your having shortness of breath I suggest you speak with your doctor... I had a friend who had flu like symptoms here in Montgomery, AL  and just never felt well... he found out after he moved to Tampa... that he had contracted histoplasmosis (sp?) a fungus from bird droppings ... he never knew it until a doctor checked out his lungs... he was healthy non-hiv he was hiv- .. its treatable with sporonox... now maybe some newer medications... this is not a diagnosis... so your best bet is to seek a exam with your doctor to find out the cause... it may also be nothing but, why take a chance... let us know how your doing...

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 03:44:51 pm »
I am always tired  :(
I definitely say it is HIV, or the HIV meds.
For a while I wasn't sure, I thought maybe I was just lazy, or depressed.  I even quit smoking pot, just to make sure I'm not just a stonner.  After 1 month being "pot free", I lost 10 pounds (nausea), slept less (pain from PN) and I was even more tired than before.
I know that Ziagen makes you fell tired plus I am convinced that regardless of Cd4 or VL, our bodies are constantly fighting the virus and that is why I am tired all the time.
My doctors prescribe me Adderall to give me energy, which is funny because I've been on it for a long time ( I have ADD), but I didn't want to increase my dose. 
I tried to eat whole foods only, no refined sugar or flour, lots of fish and veggies.  I walk to work (only 1 mile each way) and avoid deep fried foods.
since moving to California, I can now get the right cannabis for my symptoms and my energy level is the best it has been in the past 7 years.
I would go to the doctor and get checked for the shortness of breath though...you are way too young!!!

Take care, keep us updated and see you at AMG

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 04:08:43 pm »
You know you can have a plain old, run- of- the- mill, everyday pneumonia with any Tcell count. 
I myself am battling some kind of cold and am keeping my fingers crossed that its not going to turn into a bronchitis or pneumonia.
I had a support group leader (when I was still going to support groups) who had lost a partner due to HIV.  He had been tested and was negative.  A few years later, while he was acting facilitator for this support group he began to have shortness of breath, and complained of being tired after walking up a flight of stairs. Unbelievable as it sounds he had PCP and died a year later. Again, this was before HAART.  But still, it illustratres that nothing is taken for granted where your health is concerned.

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 04:41:39 pm »
Well il check it out when i go to the doctor again in a week or two .....

ive never had any type of pneumonia so i dont really know much about that....but im not really congested wouldnt that be the case? of PCP or bacterian pneumonia ?

hope you get rid of that cold soon bear :-D

Offline bear60

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:02:39 pm »
Well, ((((((((HUGS))))) Josh.  I hope you are ok. Take good care of yourself.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 05:19:06 pm »
Well il check it out when i go to the doctor again in a week or two .....

Ive never had any type of pneumonia so i dont really know much about that....but im not really congested wouldnt that be the case? of PCP or bacterian pneumonia ?

hope you get rid of that cold soon bear :-D

I may be wrong so please, anyone, correct if I am mistaken,

I was in the impression that you should worry if there was no congestion, meaning, if you have a cough that is not productive, you should have it checked out right away.

Pneumonia does not have to be related to our HIV condition.  Anyone can get it, I know so many negative people who had "walking pneumonia".  Any fever?  If things don't get any better or if they worsen, please don't wait 2 weeks to see your doctor.

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 07:13:42 pm »
No, Josh. Don't wait a week or two. A day or two till you talk to a physician (phone call, at least).
xxx,
Mike

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 07:33:00 pm »
I agree with the others, you should at least call your doctor or better yet, can you call the ER? I know we can do it here and there is usually a nurse to answer the call and your questions. But with what you are saying, they would prolly just tell you make an appointment with your doctor. You might as well do it. Better safe than sorry.

I have been feeling fatigued a lot lately too especially today. I have been doing more running than usual and it has been humid today. I feel completely drained. But I do have my moments of laziness, usually after a good phat one and something to eat, then I develope the Itis.... ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:35:56 pm by Queen Akasha »
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 04:26:58 am »
Josh,

Anemia can also cause shortness of breath and fatigue. Get to your doctor - because it could be any of the above or even none of them. Just don't wait two weeks to find out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 11:25:52 am »
I asked my doctor about this before I started treatment, and he explained it in a way that made a lot of sense to me. On the cellular level, your body is in a fight 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (366 in leap year). That's going to eventually move up from the cellular level, and you will feel an effect (tired and fatigued). He told me just to make sure I got a lot of rest, ate well, and tried not to worry (as stress will just add to the effect).

I know you're not on medications yet, but the fatigue did stop for the most part when I started medication. Every now and then I still feel tired, but it's not nearly as often as it was prior to beginning meds.

PS - I didn't read the responses, so if someone already said this, then disregard. :)

Edited to fix grammatical errors
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:28:05 am by MoltenStorm »
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.