Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:52:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 223
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: aidswatch 2009- are you going to be there  (Read 7061 times)

Offline kellyspoppi

aidswatch 2009- are you going to be there
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:26:45 pm »
hi folks

i know it has been quite some time since i posted in the forums, but believe me when i tell you that it wasn't for lack of interest or some riff i had with any of you.

i guess you could say the downside to still having your job is the horrendous effect our shrinking work force is having on those of us still employed. in other words, we are being asked to pick up the slack of those recently lay ed off. for me that means less time chatting with all you wonderful people.

i am finding it even more difficult to volunteer my time doing my ryan white network activities, such as attending committee meetings, community forums, fundraising, and writing/emailing.

after 35 years of being my own boss (insurance agent) i felt i deserved to give back to my community. unfortunately, ceo's today are all about greed through premium growth (in the insurance business), no matter how many policyholders they piss off, and their arrogance has been displayed publicly by the recent aig fiasco.

long story short, if i wish to keep a hold of the book of business i have spent my life building toward my retirement years (i'm going to be 58), i have to work twice as hard now to do so. looking back on my career, i'm working just as hard now as i was when i started.

well enough of that shi_!

the reason i am writing today is to remind folks about aidswatch and the importance of our participation, especially this year when we have allies in all three branches of government. as some one who has participated in this event since 1998, i can't express to you how exciting it is knowing we will be heard this year, even under such difficult economic times. just imagining a realistic chance for universal health care for all has me packing up for another trip to washington dc, even if it means my business suffers today, for tomorrow i will be in need of so much more help, and this is the time for me to act.

i realize it is difficult for many of you to get to washington, and i understand that. but that doesn't give any of us the excuse not to get involved in the process. there are other ways to make our voices heard without having to break the bank, and allow NAPWA the opportunity to lead you in those directions.

one example is local office visits. most of our Congressional leaders have local offices where we live. find out where it is, call them to ask who their legislative aide is on health issues, and obtain that persons phone, fax, and email information so that when NAPWA sends out a request to contact your legislators on bill or budget issue, you can participate.

this is the time for us to act.  the issues are all to benefit our ability to survive:
early treatment for hiv act
universal health care for all
federally funded needle exchange programs
a fully funded re authorization of the Ryan white treatment and modernization act
and many many more.

be a voice for change! and if possible, please join me in dc 4/27 to 4/29 for aidswatch.
i'll be honored to work with you.

scott daly, aka kellyspoppi

if you need to know more about who is writing this post and why should you listen to him,  check the article on aidswatch in the april edition of poz magazine.     

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: aidswatch 2009- are you going to be there
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:45:31 pm »
Great post, Scott.  AIDSwatch has been a great driver of pushing our agenda through Congress each year.

Here's NAPWA's link for more info:

http://www.napwa.org/advocacy/aidswatch.shtml

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:04:52 pm »
thanks peter,

i have been following your blog with great interest trying to stay on top of things in DC.

whats with congress agreeing to renew ANY abstinence only funds? i thought the new administration was against that!

scott

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:11 am »
I'm actually not familiar with what they did in this area.  Do you know of a good article that summarizes this?

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »
sorry peter, but i believe i read it in a housing works update last week. after i read it i trashed the update. when i get my next one i will see if i can check through the archives.

sdcott

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:26:18 pm »
Hey Guys,

I think I found what you're looking for...the recent AIDSwatch update.

http://www.housingworks.org/news-press/detail/obama-trash-ab-only-funds/

Em

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:25:34 am »
hey EM,

thats the article. thanks for taking the time to find it. will u b at aidswatch?

scott

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:22 am »
peter,

i read your article today from POZ update titled POZ ARMY and couldn't agree with you more. i intend on reading the piece at todays "consumer involvement comm" meeting of the NENY ryan white hiv care network in hope of increasing membersahip in NAPWA and consumer involvement in advocasy in general.

your observations of consumers too wrapped up in fears of stigma are right on!

keep up the good work and i hope to see you in DC.

ps. i tried to comment at the bottom of the article and for some reason my user id and password for the forums did not work. do i need a different one for commenting on these articles? >:(

scott daly
aka kellyspoppi 

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:28:50 am »
Yes, the blogs use a different sign-up process than the forums.  Sorry.  But feel free to use the same username/password as your forums account.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.