Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:02:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 210
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: from last forum  (Read 10042 times)

Offline svenz

from last forum
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:20 pm »
I was on here a while back and got some good replies from the admins/experts.  All of whom saying I have had no risk.  If anyone wants to reply I would really appreciate it in easing my mind.  May sound crazy but I am not trying to insult anyone by any means.

My story is the basketball game where after I noticed the player bleeding and then noticed three small blotches of blood on my hands (intact skin so no risk there) from his wound.  The cut was not big by any stretch of the imagination so it was not gushing.  I was not convinced that it could have by chance gotten in my eyes thus infecting me.  I cannot stop thinking about it and am seeking mental help.  I have been sick literally ever since combined with depression and a sore throat (always clearing it since it got sore 8 days after I saw the blood).  Is anxiety creating this in your honest opinion?     

I appreciate you patience and the help you give to others.

Offline LessonLearned

Re: from last forum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:38:38 pm »
You have been told numerous times that there is no risk is what you describe. The anwers are not going to change. No one is going to say "Well, not that I think about it, there is a risk". It just won't happen.

You need to work with your doctor about your anxiety, life's to short to live in constant fear about the ridiculous.

Offline svenz

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:44:06 pm »
thanks lesson learned.  I feel so badly that I make my head hurt/throat hurt and I must seek the proper attention.  Ann please do not ban me this helps me in my process of getting over it.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:53:05 pm »
The basketball story? For real? This comes up every few months. It's like some sick internet meme. It was doing the rounds of the old Fears forum back when I joined AIDSMEDS.

The basketball story is, of course, bullshit.

MtD

Offline svenz

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:58:14 pm »
why would I lie about it?  Or are you just saying its too far out there.   Its definitely real.  I pretty much realize that I have irrational fears but the sickness it has had upon me is really real.  I will seek a counselor.

Offline LessonLearned

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 10:52:45 pm »
There is no doubt that you have a sickness. You were not at risk for HIV and you need to continue working with your doctor and stay away from this forum or anything else related to HIV.

It'll help clear your anxiety alot faster. And no one is saying that you are lying. Your story may be real but your risk is not.

You do not have HIV.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:23:20 am »
nobody EVER said you had 'LITTLE RISK' of hiv from your purported 'exposure'.

you had no risk.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 05:25:28 am »
svenz,

You were never at risk. Period.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline svenz

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 11:58:19 pm »
OK since last posting I have gone to the Psychologist twice...seemed to help a lot initially and he tells me to different ways of combatting this which I am trying now.

Ialso went to the ENT doctor who evaluated my throat.  He thought it looked fine but my nose was somewhat dry and gave me some nasal sprays...i was convinced that I had a yeast infection but he said he did not see anything.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 04:10:30 am »
Keep seeing your Psychologist for the help you need.

Offline svenz

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 09:24:34 am »
Ok aside from the last comments I had another episode relating to BBall again just last night.

To keep the story short I got a quick elbow to the teeth from an opposing player.  Immediately I thought about the chance of blood going into my mouth from his elbow.  I did not get cut in this scenario but he did (so my teeth on his arm).  I saw the marks on his arm from my teeth and yes it was bleeding.  I immediately put my hands on my teeth in order to check for cuts and blood but did not see anything.  There was also no noticable blood on my face...do you think that there is a risk here or does the saliva neutralize any hiv? 

Thanks

Offline svenz

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 12:50:45 pm »
please I need some help...but have you ever heard this?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 01:12:16 pm »
svenz,

Not one single person has ever become infected with hiv through participation in sports and you are not going to be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline svenz

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 04:53:07 pm »
Ann,

I understand this from long before but do you think it's kind of a risk because my teeth ultimately penetrated his skin.  Even though immediately I checked for blood and did not see any (on my teeth and in my saliva).  He was bleeding after he pulled away from the blow to my face.  I have been to counseling trying to get to the root here (3 times) and I appreciate your working with me. 

Offline svenz

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 08:38:32 pm »
Why is this such an irrational thought?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 09:48:09 pm »
There are thousands of sports-related such accidents every year. Yet as Ann has told there has never been a documented case of transmission in this manner.

Theoretically it could happen but in real life it hasn't and it doesn't because so many factors would have to come together to make it possible.

And as Ann said you aren't going to be making history by becoming the first to become infected in this manner.

Take a breath and get on with your life, no kidding.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline svenz

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:54 pm »
Ann/Andy,

My teeth pierced his skin though...Although I did not see any blood on my teeth nor in my saliva as I immediately checked for this.  does the saliva isolate HIV blood if it was present?  I know deep down that its not transmitted in this way but am I wrong to be just a little concerned from this and the other episode?  I have seen the psychologist again for this 3 times and am trying to get to the root/cause of this...

I have not really gotten back into my normal routine as this has been tough to get over...

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 02:06:16 pm »
Svenz,

As this incident happened more than 3 months ago, go collect a negative test and put this behind you.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline svenz

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 03:54:23 pm »
Actually this one just happened...2 seperate incidents but similar in nature...I am seeing the psych doctor trying to get through it...but no reason to worry in either situation?  I am not sure why my thoughts are so irrational.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 04:09:37 pm »
I am no expert, but first thing I'd do if I were you, is stop playing basketball.  May help you avoid these situations, for your own sake.

good luck,
Andrew
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline svenz

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 04:34:37 pm »
thanks for your input but its one of the few things I like to do

Offline svenz

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 09:43:41 pm »
Ok I am still trying to get through this...no risk, no way, no how, correct???I need to get through this and am doing my bestbut find myseld continuously what iffing everything.  What if the blood got in my mouth after i cut that persons arm with my teeth?  Would the saliva inhibit hiv?  I was just getting over the other episode when this occurred.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:19 pm »
Ok, now this is silly.

How many times do you need to hear it? How addicted are you to this drama?

Please get the real assistance you need.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline svenz

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 06:48:54 pm »
thanks for your replies and assistance here with these two seperate incidents.  I would like to sum up where I am in the process of getting through this. 

I have seen the pschologist 3 or 4 times now.  He has been trying to instill upon me that "your not doing anything crazy like unprotected sex nor iv drugs so why are you worried".  I do not know i always play the devils advocate doing the "what if" thing.  I realize that many people are reading this saying that I am crazy but I am not, I am hypersensitive to HIV issues.  I have read other peoples postings and say the same things like why is he/she worried that is ridiculous to think about.

What else can I do to end this fear?  My counselor insists that I try to get angry at the thoughts when the thoughts come into my mind and to say you are not taking over me on this.  Do you think this is a good approach.

I realize that I am probably not at risk but cannot come to terms with this.  If you can tell me how unfounded my fear is I would really appreciate it.  I should just say sports are no risk like Anne has told me and be through with it but I am not.   

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 06:52:37 pm »
Sven,

Work with your therapist. This sort of stuff can take a while to be resolved.

MtD

Offline svenz

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 08:39:08 pm »
Matty,

How ridiculous do my two scenarios seem to you?  I think the more people make me realize its ridiculous it will be easier to get over. 

Svenz

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 08:44:37 pm »
Svens,

This is stuff you should be discussing with your therapist. We're not a humiliation service. Do I need to give you a time out to discourage you from coming here to fuel your unwarranted fears?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.