Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 153
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wellvista distributes free meds to those on ADAP waiting lists  (Read 9485 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Wellvista distributes free meds to those on ADAP waiting lists
« on: November 21, 2010, 01:18:28 am »
At the recent meeting of the SC HIV/AIDS Task Force that I attended, we were surprised to learn of a program that few people on ADAP waiting lists are taking advantage of to get their monthly supply of medication. It seems many case managers and patients do not know of this help. If you or anyone that you know of is on the ADAP waiting list in the states being serviced, please pass along this vital information - free HIV medications are available to anyone who is on a state ADAP waiting list.

The drug list that Wellvista has been providing up to recently has been rather limited. However, recently all the major pharmaceuticals have signed on (their "donation" of medication is part of their monetary contribution into healthcare reform) and more meds have been added to the list. Even more meds are going to be available by the first part of Dec (Atripla) and by the the first part of Jan. nearly every HIV med will be on the Wellvista program. (So if your meds are not available right now, they soon will be!)

You will need to fill out the prescription form (available from http://www.wellvista.org/adap_how.php), and have it signed by the State ADAP Coordinator verifying that you are on the waiting list for your state. Meds are delivered right to your home. Make sure to take advantage of this stop-gap measure if you are waiting for ADAP to help out in your state. However, don't forget to keep pressure on your state legislature to FULLY fund ADAP and other health care matters, as the Wellvista/Heinz Family program is temporary and on a year-to-year basis. Although the program has been re-approved for 2011, there is no guarantee that it will continue after the year is over.

http://www.welvista.org/
Heinz Family Philanthropies and Wellvista (based out of Columbia SC) have announced a temporary solution that begins to address the needs of patients waiting for access to HIV medications. These patients are on waiting lists in 10 states for the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), which provides help and no- cost medication for those patients who cannot afford their medication, but do not qualify for Medicaid assistance.

Wellvista is able to provide for a one-year program to help any patient on a state ADAP waiting list who needs HIV medication. The program eliminates all enrollment forms for these patients. Enrollment is virtually automatic for anyone certified on an ADAP waiting list and can provide direct access to no-cost HIV medications through Welvista. Patients who are on ADAP waiting lists and need to access this solution to receive their medications can request their state ADAP contact Wellvista. If need exists after one year, the program may be extended.

http://www.wellvista.org/adap_states.php
Wellvista is licensed in the following states and ready to serve patients that are on waiting lists for HIV medications: Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa, Kentucky, Montana, New Jersey, North Carolina, New Jersey, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Wyoming

Wellvista is in the process of applying for licenses in the following states and will serve additional patients on state waiting lists for HIV medications: Arizona, Arkansas, DC, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
Re: Wellvista distributes free meds to those on ADAP waiting lists
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:32 pm »
Bravo for the useful info!
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »
this medicine redistribution actually started back this Summer (Drug Companies give help for hard hit ADAPs ); but at first there weren't many drugs being offered (Crixivan anyone? LOL). Soon every HIV will be available and the Wellvista CEO is hoping to get the word out more so that those on the ADAP waiting lists can actually take advantage of a program worth taking advantage of.

Although it's not a permanent solution by any stretch of the imagination, at least it can give people on the waiting list medications while they wait.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline danitheches

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:09:20 pm »
Glad you addressed this topic.  The only problem is this in my state:  it is taking SC ADAP a month or more to put people on the waitlist and send out the letter.  Therefore it is easier just to get a voucher over the phone from the drug companies or get meds delivered in 7-10 days and skip Welvista all together.  For drugs other than HIV meds I would recommend them to the savvy consumer that can fill out their own applications, pay the $20 annual fee, and navigate the system.

dani

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »
Glad you addressed this topic.  The only problem is this in my state:  it is taking SC ADAP a month or more to put people on the waitlist and send out the letter.  Therefore it is easier just to get a voucher over the phone from the drug companies or get meds delivered in 7-10 days and skip Welvista all together.  For drugs other than HIV meds I would recommend them to the savvy consumer that can fill out their own applications, pay the $20 annual fee, and navigate the system.

dani
that reminds me, the $20 fee is waived for the HIV meds, but as you mentioned, does still apply to the other meds that Wellvista offers. ;)

what voucher are you referring to? People that are put on the wait list generally have no access to meds unless they purchase them themselves (which isn't likely as you have to financially qualify for ADAP), or unless their ASO is able to make other arrangements to get them meds.

Are you saying that one of the drug companies is providing and delivering free meds? How long is this available? Wellvista's program lasts for a year. Which companies and which meds? Can you give me more information about the program(s) you are referring to? Thanks.

by the way, wherebouts are you in SC? I'm up here in the Rock Hill area, and Catawba Care is the ASO that I am affiliated with and a client of. It hasn't been taking us a month to get people onto the waiting list. We hired another staff person this year to help with paperwork between the wait list and all the programs so that we have been keeping everyone in our agency on meds. This Wellvista program is a great benefit as it provides meds free for a year and no Ryan White funds are having to be spent in co-pays, fees, etc to get medications directly through the drug companies.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline danitheches

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 12:29:58 pm »
@ leatherman

sorry for the delayed response.

ALL HIV drug companies provide medication assistance based on income guidelines.  Some have vouchers (Atripla, Viread, Truvada, Emtriva) you can get over the phone when applying that you can take to any pharmacy with a prescription for a 30 day supply. They then send a card that you can use for a year to get your meds.  Some charge a $10 co pay per med on a voucher (Combivir, Epivir, AZT, Mepron, Trizivir, Abacavir, Lamivudine) and some send out meds after approval (Kaletra, Isentress, Norvir, Prezista, Reyataz).  BUT this is all a very fairly easy process. You just need to prove your income.  The income guidelines are also very lenient.  Delivery is also free via UPS or Fedex from the company.   We have had some issues with getting waitlist letters from DHEC.  Not on everyone, but some people.  We have also had a problem with Welvista not delivering meds as well.  I'm down in the Low Country!  Maybe I'll see you at the RW all parts meeting tomorrow?
dani

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »
sorry for the delayed response.

I'm down in the Low Country!  Maybe I'll see you at the RW all parts meeting tomorrow?
thanks for getting back!  ;D And thanks for that info. The good thing is that at least there are some alternatives so we're not seeing people (at least here in SC) going completely without meds . . . yet. I don't think we can ever rule out that terrible possibility. I mean, that sort of situation happened just a few years back in '06 and people literally died without meds.

I worry too that people will get meds but then lose access - what a health crisis that could be. Heck, at that Task Force meeting the nice DHEC rep told us about the upcoming troubles with Medicaid funding - and that's how I get my meds!

I think it's our staff person who's going to that RW meeting tomorrow, not me though. Next on my agenda is the next SC HIV/AIDS Task Force meeting on the 14th. Besides I'm still a little pooped after the WAD Event we put on last night @ Winthrop University. It was the award show for our video competition. It was fun, educational, with a SRO crowd, and I didn't have the chance to cry once - so I had a "good time" at a WAD event after all these years. ;)

thanks again for that info and input!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.