Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:47:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 433
Total: 433

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bird stories  (Read 17593 times)

Offline bear60

Re: Bird stories
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »
Razorbill
Writing this story brings tears to my eyes because my dad died in 1999. And this was one of the things that made him happy towards the end of his life. Oh yes, I have THE photograph my Dad kept of OWLIE.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2007, 05:15:43 pm »
Bear,
I can definitely see having a true friendship with such an intelligent and beautiful bird.  Please share the pic if you can locate it.
Ernie

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2007, 10:36:20 am »
Bump I've been really pleased to read about these great, funny and interesting stories about birds.  And the photos have been great! I want to give this one more push to get some more posts.

On of my best memories birdwatching is the quiet time I had walking in the woods in France.  I came up with three new birds and it was such a beautiful area.  I was leading a group of students on a tour of France.  We were in the Loire Valley seeing the Château de Chenonceau.  I had seen the building several times before so I let the kids go in and take pics and I went of a 1/2 hour walk.  There was a woodland right off the formal gardens.  It had an old railroad bed running through it.  There was a farm bordering and just a beautiful mature European Beech and oak forest stand.  The woods were full of birds, many I had encountered previously: Blue and Great Tit, Chaffinch, Green Finch, Nuthatch and Creeper, Crow and Jay (European, of course) - all beautiful.  Everyone else, and there were crowds - was focused on the building - and I had the woods to myself.  It was so relaxing.  Then a pair of Hawfinches came out on a low branch for great views.  Followed soon after by a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.  Two lifers in a row!  Well I could have forgotten the kids for the rest of the afternoon but I had to head back to round them up.  On the way I passed through one of the formal gardens - early Spring so nothing growing - but everything neat and plowed and trimmed and waiting for the growing season.  One of the clumps of earth seemed to move and it was an inconspicuous, earth-toned bird called the Dunnock.  Third life bird!  Needless to say I was in a great mood.  Birding at Chenonceau will always be a great memory for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:40:39 am by Razorbill »

Offline fearless

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2007, 04:10:02 pm »
Great story, Bear.

Ernie,
I think I've tracked the bird down. It's common name is the Noisy Miner. Here is a link to it: http://www2.abc.net.au/science/birds/asp/query.asp?Action=Display&id=78.

And, I second what Robert said about the book, Fly Away Peter. He is spot on. If you enjoy reading, grab a copy. You'd love it. It's one of my favourite books.

And, if you have sound on your computer. Check this link and listen to the Kookaburra. We don't have many great song birds, our birds mostly tend to screech. The Kookaburra's laugh is amazing. http://www2.abc.net.au/science/birds/asp/query.asp?Action=Display&id=68
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:06:21 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2007, 04:38:40 pm »
I checked it out - you nailed it.  A member of the Meliphagidae - a pan-pacific family of birds known as the honey-eaters.  Articles I read said it's common even in suburbia - kinda reminds me of our Robin.  Does this sound familiar? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/NoisyMiner.wav

I'd never listened to the Kookaburra's before - that's unbelieveable!!!!

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 05:03:30 pm »
A "bird" book I hate: Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach. My parents gave it to me during their EST period. Ugh.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2007, 05:20:22 pm »
I'd rather read a Guide to the birds of Hohokus, NJ.

Offline fearless

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2007, 05:51:19 pm »
spot on, Ernie.
It was a very inquisitive little fella, too.
Kookaburras are cool. You may not know it, but, if you've ever seen any of the old tarzan films you'll have unwittingly heard it. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of the jungle bird song in the films was recorded in Australian forests.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2007, 02:00:17 am »
Hi there

I have really enjoyed looking at all the photo's and reading the stories of the all those beautiful birds, and I just love OWLS, they are one of my favourite birds of prey, we have some beautiful birds here in NZ but getting a photo is not always easy..but I did manage to get a picture of two Owls who have taken up residence in my garden...they are from the "Cee -Ramik Noctua" species, the first one is commonly know as the "Staring Owl' and not to be confused with the "Glaring Owl" in the second photo..many bird watchers have made this mistake, I really do love my Owls, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
(seriously, Owls are my favourite birds)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2007, 02:14:05 am »
I wonder what the difference is between the stare and the glare.. ;D Also just wondering, can owls be domesticated?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2007, 08:16:06 am »
Queen Akasha - Owls can be hand raised, and tamed like most birds.  Problem is their talons - they're very sharp and can do serious damage to your hand.  They also need to eat mice. (sorry Mouse)
Annie - I so want to visit NZ!!!  I has birds like no where else.  Because your country split off from the rest of the continents so long ago, birds evolved to fill all the niches that there are no mammals for.  Just the names are so cool - the Kea, the Kakapo, the Tui, the Kokako, the Weka, the Kiwi, the Takahe, and the cool little Rifleman.  Introduced European birds and mammals have pushed a lot of your native birds deep into the bush and have made them rare or even endangered.  A few are extinct - unfortunately one of them was the New Zealand Laughing Owl.  Have you ever seen any of the New Zealand natives?  Do any come to your garden?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2007, 04:00:29 pm »
Hi Razorbill

We have the most wonderful birds in our garden, we have a big bird feeder right outside our dinning room window, the butter and seeds we put out attracts so many of them, and we have dined with many wonderful and different species.. :) but it's hard actually trying to get photo's of them.

In our garden we have Wax eyes,(Silver eyes), Tui's, Bell birds, Red polls, Chaffinches, Red finches, occasionally we will get a little rifleman here,The fan tails that of just a fraction bigger than the rifleman, and two of my favourites the Morepork owl and the little Owl and of course the NZ wood pigeon..(if you can look them up please do they are the most beautiful bird, and quite big, we have a breeding pair who come to the garden every year) and so many more, too many to mention..and the noise they make every morning and every evening is just amazing, because everything is so quite around us all we hear are the birds...I love it.

The Kea's, the Kaka and the Kakapo's we only see when we go away, they are not town birds, they mainly stay in the bush.. but I have come across many in my travels, but the Kea's, who are very friendly by the way,  will rip your car apart if it's stationary long enough, they are very destructive.

Thanks for the thread and for all the stories.

Hugs
Jan :-*

« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 04:02:30 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2007, 04:48:54 pm »
Thanks Jan,
  For the rest of us who have to be content with pics, here's the Tui and the NZ Pigeon.
Ernie

Offline Basquo

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2007, 05:13:42 pm »
When I went to Epcot in 2001 I got buzzed by a bald eagle.  I was walking a little ahead of my friends and out of nowhere swoops down this huge bird, he does a tight circle around me and then flies away. I turned to my friends and said "Was that a real live eagle? Are you sure?  This is Disney!"

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2007, 07:14:04 pm »
Bald Eagles are numerous in FL.  Even so, it could have been on the Disney payroll.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2007, 07:20:09 pm »
LOL!  I swear for a split second I thought it was some sort of animatronic attraction!

The bald eagles come to the Highland Lakes in my area to nest every year, but I'm not sure exactly when.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »
I was checking out this webcam of my backyard (sorta  ;)) and caught this pic with a buzzard or eagle sailing around; first time that's happened.

And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.