Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:37:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 226
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone Had Probs Traveling With Meds Lately ??  (Read 9870 times)

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
Anyone Had Probs Traveling With Meds Lately ??
« on: August 31, 2006, 11:47:48 am »
Im going to be traveling for the first time since the new Security Guidelines, To New York, for a weekend of shopping and eating and then Toronto, for some bacon and the opportunity to pee in Niagra Falls. 
I keep hearing that prescription medicines need to be in the Pharmacy bottles with Your name ( actually My name would probablly be better) on the label... Ive traveled before with my meds in a pill case and never had problems but have they changed something since the new security guidelines?? or does the Pharmacy label requirement only go for LIQUID meds? I'd rather not take the pharmacy I HAVE AIDS bottles, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do..
The Canadians were cool when I went to Montreal a few months ago, but Im wondering if anything has changed security wise lately... My meds are Reyataz Epzicom and Norvir, all in pill/capsule form and are pretty harmless unless They somehow get mixed with Diet Coke and Mentos... ( tempting stunt for a plane trip, but I'm going to go with the Rubber snake instead.. I hope Air Canada has a sense of humor.)

Lwood
Who is a fun traveling companion...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Re: Anyone Had Probs Traveling With Meds Lately ??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:02:47 pm »
I had no issues going to Seattle, then again I simply checked my luggage.  From what I hear it's not a big deal otherwise. 

Offline franfrog

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:18:34 pm »
I have not traveled since this whole thing has been going on but...don't quote me on it...I think it is the liquid meds.  I think if it is a pill, you are ok.

Here is a link I found, hope it helps
http://aids.about.com/od/generalinformation/a/medtravel.htm
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:21:58 pm by franfrog »
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:35:44 pm »
Lwood, I find security never bothers me about my meds if I am wearing my Ghutra...just make sure you allow a day or two to clear security.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:38:27 pm by Dachshund »

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 01:38:03 pm »
Lwood,

I traveled out of Oakland airport a few days after the big crackdown on carry-ons, and the TSA screener @ the monitor screamed out, "BAG CHECK!!!" and had someone inspect my pill bottles in my carry-on bag.   He shook all the bottles and opened them up (hey Mr. TSA, have some respect for that TNT next time!).

I had everything in it's original container, but had no worries that he would give me the 3rd Degree since I'm sure he couldn't find his ass with both hands anyway.

Pity too, since I had this dramatic Joan Crawfordesque "I HAVE AIDS...IS THAT OK WITH YOU?!?!" speech all hashed out in my mind.   >:(

Yours in solidarity (with shoulder pads and menacing eyebrows),
John

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:36 pm »
PS  On the way back, while transferring flights at Las Vegas, the flight attendants warned us that if we had ANY liquids (meaning water bottles, soft drinks) bought at the terminal, to go up now and deposit them in the trash (we were all seated and ready to push back from the gate at this time).

They said the previous night someone had pulled out a water bottle midflight and they had to bust the guy.  He got a $2000 fine and had the Oakland Po-Po waiting for him at the arrival gate.

And ya gotta love those Oaktown Po-Po's....can't seem to do a lick about record murders this year, but are ALL OVER contraband water like stink on shit.

Yours in thirst ("No water...just Heineken please..")
John
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:52:18 pm by JohnOso »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 04:52:23 pm »
Technically I think it's ALWAYS been the law that you need to have medicine (of any kind) in a bottle with a prescription made out to yourself.  This is kind of logical seeing as how folks can smuggle in recreational drugs and all pre-dates anything having to do with terrorism.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Lwood

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 06:06:10 pm »
John, I'm reminded of the bit in 'Alices Restaraunt' where he goes to jail for littering and has to explain it to the other prisoners...  I wonder what that guy told them in the Oakland Lockup..." Well, I took out a bottle of Evian in Coach."
....and they ALLLL moved away from me on the Group W Bench...

Lwood
who has to download that song for the flight... just to hear the part about the Father Rapers...

P.S. Just a heads up for Dingo, 'Alices Restaraunt' is my pick for Next Years AMG C.D.  ;D  All 18 minutes of it.

Offline Lwood

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 06:45:46 pm »
John, I'm reminded of the bit in 'Alices Restaraunt' where he goes to jail for littering and has to explain it to the other prisoners...  I wonder what that guy told them in the Oakland Lockup..." Well, I took out a bottle of Evian in Coach."
....and they ALLLL moved away from me on the Group W Bench...

Lwood
who has to download that song for the flight... just to hear the part about the Father Rapers...

P.S. Just a heads up for Dingo, 'Alices Restaraunt' is my pick for Next Years AMG C.D.  ;D  All 18 minutes of it.
( it was either that or 'Down With The Sickness' )

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 08:24:38 am »
From or into Heathrow TOTAL nightmare. No liquid meds, only tablets or capsules and frankly who wants a customs officer asking very loudly if you have AIDS? Getting better but if you are carrying lots of differnt meds best to put in daily dosage bottles/packs and carry a doctors letter saying that your drugs are for 'a long term degenerative condition which may be significantly life threatening if drugs are not allowed'. sad but true
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 09:37:46 am »
As many of you know, I fly to Liverpool to attend my clinic. I'm going over next Tuesday and I just recieved my travel documents in the post today and this included an airline security update. These will be British rules and whether or not they are the same for the US, I don't know. Any bold type is their emphasis, not mine.

Under the Liquids heading it says:

No change. Restictions remain in force, meaning that no liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point, other than the following.

Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic. Medicines in solid form continue to be permitted. (in other words, you are only allowed liquid meds if you need to take them during the flight and you need a letter from your doc)

Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger)

To help their progress through search points, passengers are advised not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers, etc.) in their cabin baggage.

NOTE: The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deoderant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Esquare

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 12:26:45 pm »
Pre-HIV (one month ago) I traveled all over the world with my job and was never asked to explain any pills. I guess thats because I never had prescription medicine with me. Now that I will, do they pick it up when your bag goes through the xray machine or something? I was reading through the travel list posted in this thread or somewhere else in the forum and my two most common countries to travel to are apparently the biggest dicks (korea, uk). I may have to shut down that part of my work for a while. You know, I could understand a little more if HIV was new and there were only a few documented cases in the world and we still didnt understand it but damn, there are 40 million people with this and if they are being treated there shouldn't be a problem. Its just messed up. >:(

Thank God for the few protections there are out there for us.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 01:11:33 pm »
Esquare,

I travel in and out of a UK airport every six weeks and the only time I was ever questioned about meds was when I had an interferon injecting kit in my carry-on bag. I had an accompanying doctor's letter and it was no problem. It might be now as I wouldn't be needing it on board with me, but there'd be no problem in getting it through in a non-carry-on bag. I traveled with that kit a total of thirteen times and was only questioned once. Just about every time I travel to the UK, I have meds in my bag and it's never a problem. I've been doing this for nearly six years.

For those of you who I've just confused the hell out of, the Rock isn't actually a part of the UK - we're our own country and so we're not quite treated as "domestic" flights.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 04:05:38 pm »
I wonder how long it will be before we are forced to evacuate our bladders - and colons - before travelling.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 04:07:58 pm »
For those of you who I've just confused the hell out of, the Rock isn't actually a part of the UK - we're our own country and so we're not quite treated as "domestic" flights.

Sort of like Isle of Man?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 06:22:51 pm »
Sort of like Isle of Man?

Yep, that's it, the Manx pile of rock and sand in the middle of the Irish Soup. :D

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Esquare

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 08:06:25 pm »
Yep, that's it, the Manx pile of rock and sand in the middle of the Irish Soup. :D

Ann

I met a guy from there once who was sitting next to me on a long train ride near London. He was fairly friendly and extremely opinionated. We had an interesting conversation on world politics.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 09:04:38 pm »
I flew from St. Louis to Chicago and back a week ago and had no trouble. I did leave my meds in theiir pharmacy containers though and only put them in my pill box when I got to Chicago.  I didn't want to take any chances.  The TSA screeners didn't even open my backpack though.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Eldon

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 09:29:23 pm »
Hey Lwood,

Ann has brought up a really good point. Talk with your Doctor and have him/her write out a Doctor's note. If you still feel uncomfortable with that, get a "pill box" and put your meds in it. However it works out, please DO let us know what you had decided to DO.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Dennis

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 10:15:25 pm »
It has always been recomended that prescription medications be carried in their designated bottles.  Not a big deal.  Seriously, 3 prescription bottles take up very little room in a carry-on.  I very seriously doubt any TSA is going to question your health condition.  I've been traveling for the past 2 years with my meds and have never been questioned.  US residents rely so much on prescribed medication for the most minor of ailments that a very large percentage travel with meds of one kind or another.

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 10:54:03 pm »
I would think that the safest bet would beto keep meds in the labeled bottles.

I would probably bet my last dollar that any TSA agen in any airport in the U.S. doesn't have the first clue what any of the meds are, by name.

Most of them can't even find their ass to be able to pull their head out of it.

There are other things you could do as well, but the "safest" would be to take the pharma bottles.
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 05:36:30 am »
just returned from trip to Europe. Had my carry bag with meds opened by tsa on way out of houston and on way out of france.  As I have always done I put meds in different containers mostly because they are smaller than the containers they come in. I did get a empty tube of toothpaste tossed in France. No one gave a shit. They looked at the containers and couldn't have cared less.
The only problem,as usual, at any of these lines were Euros who do not seem to understand the concept of the "line" or que.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 08:03:47 am »
The only problem,as usual, at any of these lines were Euros who do not seem to understand the concept of the "line" or que.

That's the French for ya, they hate being told what to do, even if just forming an orderly queue. The British, on the other hand, have elevated the act of queueing to an art form. Anyone breaking rank at a British queue is looked at like they are lower than a snake.

I met a guy from there once who was sitting next to me on a long train ride near London. He was fairly friendly and extremely opinionated. We had an interesting conversation on world politics.

LOL, yeah, the Manx do tend to be opinionated on World Affairs. I think it's something to do with the fact that we don't have a say in anything other than what goes on here on the Rock. We've got no say in either the British or the European Parliaments. That makes it easy for us to have all sorts of opinions but not actually have to DO anything about any of it, like at the ballot box. ::)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 09:23:08 pm »
Hmmm... I just came back from Turkey and when changing flights in Paris I was frisked and had my carry-on completely searched thoroughly TWICE by separate individuals, the later being at the actual gate.  Not once was my hefty satchel of medicine even looked at much, but everything else in my bag was... mostly the cosmetics some of which they took out and wouldn't let me keep.  I had a letter from my physician in case I encountered any problem but that was only because a couple items are through a drug trial and thus don't have the normal labeling from the pharmacy.  I never had to use the letter though.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.