Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:22:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 752
Total: 753

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NEED HELP FROM LONG TERM NON PROGRESSORS  (Read 4820 times)

Offline HALOO

NEED HELP FROM LONG TERM NON PROGRESSORS
« on: December 20, 2008, 03:36:58 pm »
http://www.thebody.com/content/art49825.html

http://www.zephyrfoundation.org/

If they can find out the SPECIALl things in this special people and find therapeutic vaccine to stimulate the immume sysyem to control HIV, then they can cure AIDS.
Almost No more people will die from AIDS.

I really feel angry about this.They spent a lot of money(million to billion $) in finding vaccine, new ARV drug, microbicide  etc.Why dont they spent more $ on this research , this is already Proof Concept!!!.
It is the solution given by Nature. 
What have they been doing in last ten years since this should be the first place they must study!!!

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
Re: NEED HELP FROM LONG TERM NON PROGRESSORS
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:43:16 pm »
Hello Haloo-

So sorry not to have noticed your post sooner - I appreciate your thoughts and comments about research science on HIV Controllers, and for posting a link to my blog about them (and the website devoted to information about them) - THANK YOU.

There are many studies in several different areas and there are many terrific people working as hard as they can to make a breakthrough. What is important to know is the virus is an incredibly complicated one, the most complicated virus known to man, and the 'breakthrough' may not be just one thing (or group). While it is true that HIV Controllers hold valuable clues to the spontaneous control of HIV - we must remember that the reasons for this control may not ever be found. But we will remain hopeful that the reverse will happen - right??

Please keep the faith, Haloo, and do not get too upset at how long it's taking. Fill your heart with patience, and know that good people are really working hard to figure this thing out.

My best to you,

Zeph
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:37:48 am »
http://www.thebody.com/content/art49825.html

http://www.zephyrfoundation.org/

If they can find out the SPECIALl things in this special people and find therapeutic vaccine to stimulate the immume sysyem to control HIV, then they can cure AIDS.
Almost No more people will die from AIDS.

I really feel angry about this.They spent a lot of money(million to billion $) in finding vaccine, new ARV drug, microbicide  etc.Why dont they spent more $ on this research , this is already Proof Concept!!!.
It is the solution given by Nature. 
What have they been doing in last ten years since this should be the first place they must study!!!

The money is being spent on HIV controllers study too. The research goes on.

I went to the lab at Kaiser this morning for my blood draw for the HIV controller study - 10 tubes of blood, plus 3 tubes for my regular labs . 13 total - not a lucky number, but I hope the scientists still find out what they need from my genes.

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:59:43 pm »
Thank you for your contribution to the HIV Controller Study, madbrain - it is a much appreciated action!

Dr. Walker, the Primary Investigator (who is responsible for organizing this International study) struggled for years on a small (but generous) investment of $2.5 million from a private funder. His team finally garnered a grant from the Gates Foundation in September of 2007 to the tune of $20.5 million - a grant that has helped immensely in the expansion of the study.

Since August of 2006, the goal has been to find 1000 Elite Controllers and 1000 Viremic Controllers (such as yourself) to give more statistical 'power' to the research study itself. When I visited with Dr. Walker at the recent Genomics Workshop in Bethesda, MD (January 8 & 9th), he said that the current enrollments are: 500 Elites and 800 Viremics - a fantastic number considering how hard we are to 'find' (due to our excellent health).

Every one of us counts and I think it's terrific that you have taken the time to help!!

My best to you -

Zeph
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:52:40 pm »
Hi,

Thank you for your contribution to the HIV Controller Study, madbrain - it is a much appreciated action!

It's the least I can do really. I enrolled after a member of this forum told me about it. I think the study needs to be publicized more.

Dr. Walker, the Primary Investigator (who is responsible for organizing this International study) struggled for years on a small (but generous) investment of $2.5 million from a private funder. His team finally garnered a grant from the Gates Foundation in September of 2007 to the tune of $20.5 million - a grant that has helped immensely in the expansion of the study.

That's great !

When I visited with Dr. Walker at the recent Genomics Workshop in Bethesda, MD (January 8 & 9th), he said that the current enrollments are: 500 Elites and 800 Viremics - a fantastic number considering how hard we are to 'find' (due to our excellent health).

Well, I wouldn't know about that last part - excellent health. As far as I can tell my body fights HIV well, but for many other things it needs help. I still get sick a lot, as I always did before having HIV too.

My best to you -
Zeph

Same to you as well.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.