Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:37:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 485
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 479
Total: 479

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Spring Break?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline wolfter

Spring Break?
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:50:38 am »
I received an awesome invite from my nephew yesterday.  As all the other college seniors head south, he’s heading to NYC for Spring break.  He and my other nephew are heading there and invited me to go.  I asked him, “why in the world would you want me to tag along”? 

I don’t get too emotional these days, but I had a difficult time holding it together with his response.  He said that I’ve been his biggest support his entire life and I’m one of the “coolest” people he knows.

In many ways, I’ve always viewed myself as a surrogate father as his biological one leaves a lot to be desired.  I didn’t get many opportunities to father my own son and readily accepted that my nephew needed someone to be his support person. 

He graduates from OU in May and is heading to LA immediately afterwards.  He already has a job lined up in his field.  I’m finding myself melancholy but am also so excited for him.  He was “diagnosed” early on with behavioral problems along with other disorders that had bunches of A’s and D’s in it.  I simply viewed him as a hyperactive child and allowed patience to guide us.

Because my sister suddenly found herself as a single mother struggling to work and go to college, we were afforded the opportunity to have Joshie in our home a lot.  His father still says that Bill and I influenced his sexuality…..lmao.  I’m enjoying my memory lane recalling so many adventures that has eluded me until now.

I know this is getting long, but I’ll share a couple of those memories.  We took him camping and were teaching him how to ride a bike and thought it was a success.  We failed to teach him how to stop.  He rode right off a cliff and I had to rush him to the ER.  BAD uncle… :(  There was also the time that Bill loaned my sister a car for a while.  He was the ultimate car freak and I never knew what he’d be driving home.  But he kept one car that he loved.  His first new car was a 79 Honda Accord.  He babied and cherished that car.

We allowed her the use of it for a while and I rec’d a hysterical phone call from her one afternoon.  I was thinking the absolute worst until she finally calmed down enough to tell me what happened.  Somehow, my nephew got ahold of a permanent marker and decided to be creative on the back seats.  Even though Bill was absolutely the most mellow and calm person I’ve ever known, I expected the worst from him.  Instead of anger, he hugged Joshie and told him it was OK and we’d fix it.

I took Joshie to family orientation day when he started college and I’m now preparing to attend his graduation.  I’m so proud of him and know that I had some influence in him becoming a responsible adult.  The last time he was home, he laid on my bed discussing his future and the fears he has about this next big challenge of moving so far away.  I assured him that I’d always be here to assist him if things don’t work as planned.  I can always afford to get him home if his plans fail.

He has always had the same life dream and focused on achieving it.  I’ll admit I don’t totally understand the musical, creative aspect of his pursuits, but he’s planning on scoring music for the film industry.  He says there are great opportunities to become successful and when he becomes famous, he wants me to move there with him….:)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Re: Spring Break?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:27 pm »
Wolfter,

That did it!  I've come all over verklempt reading your post.

How wonderful for you and your nephew. 

Some of the things you posted mirror my own experience. 

Now excuse me as I reach for my super soft and pliable box of tissues. 

Enjoy your trip.

Take care.

:)
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:09:09 am »
Wolfter,

That did it!  I've come all over verklempt reading your post.

How wonderful for you and your nephew. 

Some of the things you posted mirror my own experience. 

Now excuse me as I reach for my super soft and pliable box of tissues. 

Enjoy your trip.

Take care.

:)

thank you.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:20 am »
I obviously didn't go. ;D  I am still more than thrilled to even be invited.  They slept in the car last night for goodness sake. 

They didn't have an agenda or more imporantly, contingent plans in case the car we're taking has over 100, 000 miles on it breaks down.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:10:31 am »
What a great nephew, and he obviously cares about you a lot.  I try not to play favorites, but we have one nephew, who I guess is.  He adores us.  He still calls us Uncle Brian and Uncle Ted, even though he is starting high school.  As soon as he sees us, he must give us hugs.  And, he wants a hug when leaving.  He has actually come back in from the car to give us hugs, and say bye. 

We gave him a Pooh bear, when he was born.  We knew he loved it, when he was a baby.  But, we figured he had gotten rid of it, as he got older.  When he was about 10, a tree limb fell on him, cracking his skull.  When we got to the hospital and saw what he was clinging to, we both teared up.  I am emotional typing this.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:50 am »
Thanks for sharing that Ted, such a joyous feeling.  All 7 of my neices and nephews refer to me as "Uncle Greg".  Maybe it's a regional/cultural thing?  I still call my aunts and uncles by their titles (along with giant hugs).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.