Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 02:33:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE....HERE'S THE PROBLEM  (Read 13070 times)

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE....HERE'S THE PROBLEM
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:20:09 am »
Its no wonder why people get flustrated and give up on Aids Support Services.  Here in Mobile we have what's laughing called Mobile Aids Support Services.  Since registering with this organization I have received NOTHING.  No communication...no inquiries....hell you can't even get them to answer their phones or return an email.  So is it no wonder that people here in Moible think of MASS as a joke.  I think NOT.  Which begs the question...Why do they exist?  What function do they serve?  Who's getting the money that people, companies and organizations are donating to this group? 

My question is this....What can I do to make a difference here in Mobile?  I am asking for suggestions because I really don't know what else to do.  Last week I came across a person who was homeless...I asked if they had contacted M.A.S.S...and the response was...Oh those people.   They won't do nothing.  Hell the lady that started the organization had to step down as head due to taking funds from MASS to pay her own bills.  Now a guy name John is in charge as I understand.  I've spoken to him and other than doing the paper work.....he says there's not much he can do......and now you can't even get them to answer their complicated phone system.  I spent my own money and found this person a room...payed the deposit and the first weeks rent.  I don't need their assistance but I definitely see a NEED here in Mobile and want to doing something....Suggestions Please...
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: I WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE....HERE'S THE PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 12:01:22 pm »
my .02

send an annotated copy of this post to

[1] any local coalitions for the homeless or low-income
[2] local newspapers
[3] your district politicians

this is just my .02, obviously not the end-all-be-all. in closing i want to say

***GOD BLESS YOU FOR THE INTEGRITY IN YOUR HEART***

you're making a positive imprint on that person's life, pysche and emotions  :-*

Offline rk@aids-write.org

• aids-write.org
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:27:27 pm »
david--

bicyclists in los angeles say: we don't interfere with traffic; we ARE traffic.

you don't have to want to make a difference; you ARE a difference.

one of the things you might do is investigate becoming a governing board member for mobile aids support services (mass). pick three simple goals:

for instance:

1) set up a blog or website or group site and whistleblow and talk about concrete problems you & others have with mass

2) insist that mass contact patients at least once a month

3) insist that mass responds to inquiries within 24 hours of receipt.

don't quit tilll you get kissed or six months pass. then maybe regroup.

you get the idea. you know best. raise hell. once you're elected or appointed, raise more hell.

--lyr
dark and bright
deep and clouded
sinister and resilient
sung and un
piece by piece
picture the truth

http://aids-write.org

Offline brandy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 03:12:27 pm »
David,
I too share your frustraation.
I live in Lafayette Indiana, and there is absolutely nothing going on in dealing with this disease.
There is one support group which meets once a month for one hour, which in my mind is not good enough.
I have contacted agencies here like area four and a couple others and no one has any advise.
It is truly frustrating especially when you want to make a difference.
I am still thinking of ways to get something positive going.
if you cme up with any ideas let me know.
LOL
Michelle

Offline Johnny Guaylupo

• MYSPACE PAGE
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 09:10:28 pm »
Hey my name is Johnny from NYC and I would actually start getting involved with the Campaign to End AIDS...

The Website is www.C2EA.org

There you will find information and possibly we can help you out...
AIDS ISN'T OVER UNTIL IT's OVER FOR EVERYONE!
www.myspace.com/johnnyguaylupo

Offline david25luvit

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:16:30 pm »
Indeed it is frustrating....Here in Alabama.  Recently M.A.S.S. (Mobile Aids Support Services) was given new federal funding (post Katrina) purportedly to assist those who's lives and med's were interupted by the storm....  Which I suspect was the reason they were updating their files on clients recently.  People they hadn't called or contacted in three years.  I sent another email telling them about our AMG in Montreal and have yet to hear a word. 

I am setting up a endowment fund....named after David (Raymond David McRae III Endowment Fund)  Which will assist
people who are HIV/Aids affected.  I've enlisted the help of David's mother and Aunt Rita and once a month the three of us will sit down and determine who and how we can best assist those in need.  Instead of beating my head against a wall with M.A.S.S.  I've decided to act independently of them.

Thanks to all who responded
and YES. 
I do/will make a difference.....................
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 09:11:49 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:21:11 pm by Iggy »

Offline david25luvit

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 12:05:54 pm »
Yes, Iggy...

I know its not just Alabama.  And I certainly appreciate you sharing your story with us.  I can remember a time when those who worked at places like M.A.S.S were either HIV or HIV affected.  Today they're
just drawing a pay check........or just trying to keep their funding.  In either case, those who need the assistance
find themselves without genuine and effective support.  It's a sad state of affairs but I do not intend to allow it
to lessen my determination or my zeal.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III

Offline Iggy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 12:32:19 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:20:17 pm by Iggy »

Offline DrMichael

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:09 am »
Dear David,
Just today I discovered this forum and have been very interested to read the thoughts of many contributors here.  I'm a physician working in a university setting and my primary interest is in telemedicine (monitoring, assisting, or educating patients using telephone, internet, or other remote technologies).  While personal meetings with caregivers are very important, I'm a strong believer that telemedicine provides convenience and broader access to solve some of the problems you're addressing.
One thing we're working on is a telemedicine system for HIV/AIDS treatment monitoring ... a toll-free number to assist with some aspects of ongoing treatment.  Since it's toll-free it would be nationally available and free of charge.  I know it's just a small part of the puzzle, but I wanted to add to your list of small solutions, especially since one of the themes I'm reading here is lack of personnel/facilities in certain cities/states.
I look forward to giving you all updates on this work.  Please stay in touch.
Best regards
Michael

Offline pacionfish

• hot4papi
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 01:58:48 am »
you are a good man ....god bless you
there is no spoon

Offline Eldon

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 12:00:26 am »
David,

You are a good man.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 08:30:18 am »
Its hard here in the UK too. If you don't 'fit' into certain groups you are ignored or pressured to become a 'poster girl' for your own 'group'. As an articulate, white middle class girl I'm pretty unusual still and though I want to help others, the media here would just jump on me. All I can say, and sorry its a cliche, is keep the faith. For every condom you give to a buddy you are making a difference. If ONE person is more aware because of you, you have made a difference. May your god go with you
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 06:03:06 pm »
David, I am wondering if you are in contact with any others who ought to be benefiting from  MASS?

If so, I am thinking it might be worthwhile to call your major local newspapers and/or tv stations and ask for producer/editor who handles HIV/AIDS issues. See if you can interest someone there in doing a story. Also, what about your local congressperson, mayor, city council people, etc.? Someone might like to make a name for himself/herself as a crusader about this issue.

It's great that you and David's family are being charitable, but there is the possibility of  a special ooomph to focusing on the issue when local media and ambitious government get involved.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.