Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:48:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Could you pass the latest citizenship test? (U.S.)  (Read 11808 times)

Offline HollyStar

Could you pass the latest citizenship test? (U.S.)
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:29:53 pm »
I saw this on the MSN homepage. Check the link out and hopefully most of you did better than I did. I didn't score the 80% required to pass, LOL.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25461301/?GT1=43001
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
Re: Could you pass the latest citizenship test? (U.S.)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:32:02 pm »
no i got a 50% and i was born here. pathetic.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:06:29 pm »
A client once gave me a toll free phone number to the INS and asked I call to see how long it takes to get an agent to the phone.  I failed at that.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »
SHit I took it got 70%!!  embrassing as hell.  I thought Susan B. Anthny made the flag.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:20:50 pm »
100% 

I would like to thank all my teachers at Venable Elementary School, which was leveled to the ground years ago to make way for a PetsMart.

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 12:51:37 am »
rats..

i missed one.....the date the constitution was written

next time I'll remember.

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:40:07 am »
I got 50 %
not bad
Greetings from Southern Europe ;)

Offline Luke

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 04:15:00 am »
You answered 90% of questions correctly

Welcome to the United States! (And, truth be told, you know more about this great land than most Americans.)

I thought James Madison drafted the Declaration of Independence. Ah well.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:26:53 am »
Bugger...I didn't want to live there anyway.. ;D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 06:02:16 am »
Got 100% - but I have to admit I had to guess who the current Chief Justice is, but hey, I've not lived in the country for over 18 years. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:36:06 am »
I only got 55%.  Damn, how embarrasing.  History is not my strongest subject, obviously.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:06:40 pm »
Ya, I only scored 60%. TERRIBLE! I suppose a history class at the Community College could'nt hurt, lol.

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 02:44:39 pm »
I scored 85 percent, and the mistakes I made were really stupid ones.

I misread the war question and chose FDR, chose the wrong John for Supreme Court Justice (I knew it was one of them, but I had to guess cause I am not as up on things as I should be), and I completely goofed on the term of our senators.

Most embarrassing.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »
You answered 90% of questions correctly

Welcome to the United States! (And, truth be told, you know more about this great land than most Americans.)

I thought James Madison drafted the Declaration of Independence. Ah well.

Wow, I'm impressed! It never ceases to amaze me how much non-Americans know about the United States. There is no way I could pass a test on British history.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 05:11:25 pm »
Woo Hoo....   I get to stay!! 

95% -- I went against my initial thought of 27 and picked 23 for the number of Amendments to the Constitution.....   of course, it was 27!!

Oh well, at least I don't have to return all my Army medals now!!

Mike

Offline fearless

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 08:12:44 pm »
Wow, I'm impressed! It never ceases to amaze me how much non-Americans know about the United States. There is no way I could pass a test on British history.

Yay. Open the doors, i got 80%.
I've never studied any American history but knew a lot of answers cinema/tv and coverage of US elections and politics on the news.

Ford, it's because US culture is so pervasive and American politics affects all of us, which is fair enough.  What we do down here is of little relevance to the rest of the world, whereas decisions/policy taken in the US can and do have an effect us.

Test your Aussie knowledge here - i got 80% here too. i had no idea who some of these people are. lol. also shows how weird we are when you need to have a knowledge of sport to pass the test.  :-\
http://www.australiancitizenshiptest.net/?p=sample_test
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:25:10 pm by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
Needless to say, I failed the Austrailian citizenship test. Dismal, I tell you! Sad really, as I do like history but mostly ancient history. Back to the books I should go! :-[

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 01:48:15 am »
USA = 100%   :D

AUS = 30%     :-[

The scary part of the Australian test results was that I got the sports questions right!
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Luke

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:28 am »
I got 95% on the Australian test. That would have been 90% if I hadn't resisted the great mischievous temptation to say that a dead racehorse, born in New Zealand, had lit the flame at the Sydney Olympics ;)

The one I got wrong was the one about pride in the convict past - and a few of the ones I got right were based on what the answer couldn't be, rather than actually knowing what the right answer was.

This is the BBC's interpretation of the sort of questions you would be likely to be faced with on the British citizenship test (but it was compiled before the test was even introduced, so I can't vouch for how accurate it would be): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm  I got all the questions right; but I have to confess to having taken an educated guess on a few of the ones which rely less on facts than just having read the booklet you are expected to read in preparation for the test.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:47:51 am by Luke »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
Got 100%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 01:59:35 am »
I got 95% on the Australian test. That would have been 90% if I hadn't resisted the great mischievous temptation to say that a dead racehorse, born in New Zealand, had lit the flame at the Sydney Olympics ;)

The one I got wrong was the one about pride in the convict past - and a few of the ones I got right were based on what the answer couldn't be, rather than actually knowing what the right answer was.

This is the BBC's interpretation of the sort of questions you would be likely to be faced with on the British citizenship test (but it was compiled before the test was even introduced, so I can't vouch for how accurate it would be): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm  I got all the questions right; but I have to confess to having taken an educated guess on a few of the ones which rely less on facts than just having read the booklet you are expected to read in preparation for the test.

I got 100% on the UK test but number 14 the last question was a guess ... they all sounded good.  :D
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline carousel

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 04:50:42 am »
Terrible.  I know bugger all, especially about Australia and didn't fare much better in the British test.

I was sure that Father Christmas was from Lapland.

Offline Luke

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 05:16:51 am »
... they all sounded good.  :D

I was sure that Father Christmas was from Lapland.

Which is exactly my point. It is about having read what you are supposed to read in preparation for the test. All answers on 14 were reasonable and most Brits would probably answer Lapland (but the clue to the fact that the answer wouldn't be that is the dubious origin given to the Father Christmas myth).

Offline aztecan

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:31:25 am »
Hmmm,

I scored 50 on the Australian test.  Maybe I can sneak in through Perth? ::)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 11:07:47 am »
When I was around 25, Nixon was in the White House and Reagan was the Governor.  When asked what a bug was in English class in Madrid, Juan raised his hand and said "watergate".  When I left Spain, I was movin on to Austrailia.

I wrote to the Austrailian Consulate office in San Francisco.  Theyt sent an application, my immigration to Austrailia was not approved because of lack of skills.  You know, honestly speaking, I was pretty hot at 25 but 58 with AIDS and no skills...   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
America- 65%
Australia- 20%

I guess I better stay put: and lay low. 8)
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 02:59:02 pm »
I got 9/14 on the UK test.

35% on the Australia test, which was the statistical percentage of guessing because that is what I did!

Offline fearless

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 07:33:14 pm »
I managed to get 10 on the British test, but was lucky with a couple of guesses.

I'm voting Luke as the Aidsmeds Brainiac - have you studied history or are you just well read? I reckon that 90% of the Australian population wouldn't have a clue who Burnet, Cornforth and Eccles were, and while I can appreciate that you may know of Phar Lap, to know he was born in NZ requires a bit of knowledge.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 07:34:54 pm by fearless »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:36 pm »
Not only did I fail the US test but I failed the Aussie one as well...and I lived there for 20 years..bugger, thought about going back to the UK but I would probably fail that test as well.

BTW Steve..I knew Phar Lap was born in NZ..it was the only bloody thing I knew.. ;D
Hugs

Offline Robert

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 09:00:03 pm »
i gave up on the Austrailan test.  I think i got the first few questions but then i found i was just guessing.  no point in  that.

i got 8 right on the British test.  If I go there next year, I better brush up on my rights when i'm arrested for spilling my beer on little steve

r
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:26:29 pm by Robert »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »
Well that settles it...I took the UK test and it looks like I'll be staying on my little farm here in NZ,...apart from the fact I'm probably the dumbest one here I don't think I could leave my babies anyway.. ;)

Hugs

Offline fearless

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »
If I go there next year, I better brush up on my rights when i'm arrested for spilling my beer on little steve

r

it's those damned pint glasses roberto, they are so hard to hold, especially the third and fourth ones.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:18 pm »
it's those damned pint glasses roberto, they are so hard to hold, especially the third and fourth ones.

After the 3rd or 4th you have to order them in a glass pot with a handle..a little easier to hold onto and the more experienced among you won't lose a drop of beer as you stagger round the pub... ;)

Hugs

Offline aztecan

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 01:48:23 am »
I got 11 right on the UK test, but I guessed on several of them.

Offline Luke

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:00:43 am »
I'm voting Luke as the Aidsmeds Brainiac - have you studied history or are you just well read? I reckon that 90% of the Australian population wouldn't have a clue who Burnet, Cornforth and Eccles were, and while I can appreciate that you may know of Phar Lap, to know he was born in NZ requires a bit of knowledge

Well I am a history and geography buff, and I do have a rather unhealthy obsession with Australian films (hence the Phar Lap thing ... the younger Tom Burlinson: PWOAR!); but, in common with most migrants who sit the test, I have also read http://www.citizenship.gov.au/test/resource-booklet/citz-booklet-full-ver.pdf - which is the booklet you are expected to read in preparation for your Australian citizenship test and which actually tells you all the answers - and I am guessing that most Australians wouldn't ever have had cause to read that and therefore wouldn't have been primed for the test. I read it earlier in the year when I was considering a job offer in Canberra   ;)

How could this be? Phar Lap born in New Zealand. How he become Australian? F'ing horse pass this test?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4LoTG3C8E  ;D

The Australian test is much like the British test. It isn't about knowing facts - it is about remembering what you have been told to remember, irrespective of how flawed that information could be.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:23:09 am by Luke »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 08:31:46 am »
I scored 85 percent, and the mistakes I made were really stupid ones.

I misread the war question and chose FDR,

Mark,

I swear when I first saw that question I saw a II behind war.  Then when I finished and got my results it suddenly changed to War I.   Brain fog?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline fearless

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »
I read it earlier in the year when I was considering a job offer in Canberra   ;)

You've obviously never been to Canberra.  :D

oh, and if you get a chance try to see the Australian film, Beautiful http://www.thebeautifulmovie.com/. It will never receive great critical acclaim but I didn't mind it - and a mate of mine composed the score.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:31:08 pm by fearless »

Offline Luke

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 03:34:32 am »
You've obviously never been to Canberra.  :D

Or maybe the trip to Canberra was enough to convince me that it wasn't even an option .. or certainly wasn't an option when it was combined with the fact that, whilst the Australian authorities (who I am sure you have guessed would have been my employers in Canberra) were willing to jump through hoops with regards to my HIV-status, I'd have to live there alone for most of the first year, and become a citizen, before we would be able to get around the diametrically opposed view they took of my boyfriend's HIV status.

I shall look out for Beautiful at the next annual London Australian Film Festival. The spooky music in the trailer is very promising. Thanks for the tip  :-*
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 03:57:11 am by Luke »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.