Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 500
Total: 501

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm learning how to be a Masshole!  (Read 7115 times)

Offline skeebo1969

I'm learning how to be a Masshole!
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

Went back to the new doctor today.  I believe I have an attraction to women from the Middle East.  I know I'm already attracted to women from Japan, Jamaica, Brazil, Finland, Bahamas, Thailand, Egypt, Peru, Zaire, Zimbabwe, Germany, and California.... so this is really a new sensation for me.

Anyways, good stuff first.  I gained a ton of weight, I now weigh 172 lbs..  That's a weight increase of 55 lbs from April!  That's crazy huh?  My legs are no longer toothpicks and I actually have an ass to sit on!  I know, it blows my mind too.   The other good thing was my Cd4's are still showing constant at 874.. which is about the norm for me.  Viral load still undetectable!  Just awesome, right???

But the clouds turn grey from there...  She's having me tested for Hep A,B, and C... and doing a double check on my liver function which showed abnormal this time around.  When I call her next Tuesday for the results from today I'll know what our plan of action will entail.  At the best it might have self corrected (very doubtful), at the worst it's either my medication and/or something else that may be caused from the tests mentioned above.   Won't know for sure till Tuesday....  My previous doctor didn't send my records so she's a little concerned that things may have went unchecked.   I rectified that matter today with a courteous Skeebo type call...

So I look good, feel great, but am melting away inside perhaps....  go figure.   Since quitting ciggarettes a big chocolate bar with almonds would suffice right about now... :-\
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: I'm learning how to be a Masshole!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »

Thomas, as long as your still height & weight proportioned, I wouldn't worry about how you look ( I'm still kinda on the thin side) for my height & age, with no ass to sit-on, and I still have tooth-pick legs, except for my thighs  ;)  this could be a Blip, you just never know, I've had HEP B way back in the late 70s when we had this huge out-break back then, but, I've always tested NEG for all of the rest of em'  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Growler

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:40:03 pm »
   Anyways, good stuff first.  I gained a ton of weight, I now weigh 172 lbs..  That's a weight increase of 55 lbs from April!  That's crazy huh? 
You fat PIG!!! It's fingers down the throat time for you young lady! No, I wont hear any protests, if it was good enough for Princess Diana, it's good enough for the rest of us commoners. Oh wait! I almost forgot. You're straight and married so it's OK to let yourself go... so forget that advice and keep on working on growing that beer belly.

But the clouds turn grey from there...  She's having me tested for Hep A,B, and C... and doing a double check on my liver function which showed abnormal this time around. 
Good, she's thorough. Sounds like she wants to keep you around for as long as possible; maybe you are in with a chance? ;)

Since quitting ciggarettes a big chocolate bar with almonds would suffice right about now... :-\
Congratulations! Great to hear you're still on the straight and narrow......Those little lung busters still call to me occasionally (regularly) and my response is always, "sorry you've reached the wrong number, please hang up and try dialing again..thank you." Personally I'm sooooooo over chocolate. I've been eating a 220gm block of Cadbury's Snack chocolate most nights and I now feel like blowing chunks every time I look at one.
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »

I pretty sure it's going to be an issue with my meds to be honest.  I know I was having some problems during a switch with my Viramune dosage to that new once a day dosing.  Without my records, and not being sure, we decided to test for all the heps just in case something was missed before.  If my memory is correct, I have been tested for all of it though.  She says she may want to order an ultrasound......

You fat PIG!!! It's fingers down the throat time for you young lady! No, I wont hear any protests, if it was good enough for Princess Diana, it's good enough for the rest of us commoners. Oh wait! I almost forgot. You're straight and married so it's OK to let yourself go... so forget that advice and keep on working on growing that beer belly.

Trust me, I needed the weight.  I've been Skelator practically my whole life.

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

Trust me, I needed the weight.  I've been Skelator practically my whole life.

"People of Eternia! I stand before the Great Eye of the galaxy. Chosen by destiny to receive the powers of Greyskull! This inevitable moment will transpire before your eyes, even as He-Man himself bears witness to it. Now. I, Skeletor, am Master of the Universe! Yes! Yes... I feel it, the power... fills me. Yes, I feel the universe within me! I am... I am a part of the cosmos! Its energy flows... flows through me. Of what consequence are you now? This planet, these people - They are nothing to me - the universe is power, pure, unstoppable power - and I am that force, I am that power! Kneel before your master... [He-Man refuses]... Fool! You are no longer my equal. I am more than man, more than life! I am a god! Now. You... will... kneel! Kneel!"

You'll always be He-Man in my eyes...... Skelator was soooooo GAY!

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline rocky48

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »
skeebo

Maybe I can send you some of my weight I am trying to lose a few pounds or maybe 30 lbs.  Things sound good for you. Hope all your test are what we call normal on Tuesday. My wife is driving me crazy about my weight.  Take care.
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »
I'm glad you're gaining weight.  I will gladly send you some of mine, if you need more.  I wish for the best on the liver issue.  Maybe it was just an off lab.  Even not being on meds, my liver and kidney function are two things I look at with as much curiosity as the HIV stuff--due to reading how HIV, itself, can cause issues with both.  But, it sounds like you're in very good hands and your crush-doc will get everything sorted out. 

Best!

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:28:32 am »
Hi Tomas,
Hope all is well with hep tests. Test result waiting should have a name, term off its own. Glad your settling in with the new doc, she sounds good pro active.
mhtv who has had a false pos for hep tests 3 or 4 times at least.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:22:08 am »
Look Mr Ex-Skeletor, you can't convince me that you need to learn how to be a Masshole. You're down with that already, although you may have to learn how to do it with a more northern accent now. Trust me, you'll ace it in no time. Who knows, you may even learn some good old fashioned northern liberalism. ;)

So what were your liver enzymes like? I've got a gut feeling that you're not dealing with any of the heps. ~shrug~ I've learned to trust my guts and I hope I'm right this time too. It could just be a blip - liver enzymes do that sometimes - but if it isn't and it's the meds messing with you, I hope there's a decent alternative for you.

BTW, all of us pozzies should be occasionally checked for all the heps. Hep C in particular can be present without raising the red flag of elevated liver enzymes, so you can't always rely on those to urge your doctor to check. If you haven't been checked for hep recently, ask your doctor to run the blood tests next time you see him or her. Do it.

Skeebiehellitor.... it sounds like your new doctor is a keeper. Maybe Massawhatsisthaticantspelltosavemylife isn't so bad after all. :-* hehehe just joking about the :-* don't want your wife kicking my scrawny ass. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:12:11 am »

I actually like the weight gain and with my dedication to the gym and cardio I think I look pretty good for a 40+ year old..lol  Hell, I think my eyesight even got better.

Thanks for the well wishes for happier test readings, negative results and what have you....  My blood pressure was also higher than it's ever been.  Go figure, benefits of quitting smoking I suppose..

Ann, my liver enzymes were as follows:  ALT 82   AST 110

She called me yesterday, said she wanted me to call her on Tuesday for some direction.  I don't even drink wine, but would love a nicely rolled spliff right now though...  I hear it's legal up here.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
    Ann, my liver enzymes were as follows:  ALT 82   AST 110

Amateur!!  When I had Hep A mine were:   ALT 1645  AST 940.  You've barely stepped outside the reference range.

On a more serious -- all sorts of things can cause a temporary spike in these two enzymes.  When something "bigger" is going on, you generally see more than just the ALT/AST involved.  Of course, everyone is different and every instance can be unique, so while my advice is to not worry too much -- you and your doc are doing the right thing.

Now if weight is what you want -- take the subway (walking will burn too many calories) to the North End and go to Mike's Pastry shop (no other -- just Mike's) and have a couple canolis.  God I miss those............

Mike

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:33:57 am »
Hey Mike, when Bob & I went to upstate NY (Syracuse & Buffalo) back in June to see his folks, I gained 15lbs
in less than a week, OH BOY, you easterners really know how to eat, I've never seen gravy on french fires before, ya'll put gravy on just about everything, I felt ashamed sitting @ the table @ Bob's folk's house, when his Mother told me, "Dennis you eat like a bird, come see me more often so I can fatten you up" :D

Thomas, living up there in MASS. will probably do you some good, I bet you look a lot healthier than you use to, can't you get your medical records from FL. when I moved to NM, I got all of mine from Ca. it's helpful to have them for your new ID-Doctor  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:51:44 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 06:25:50 pm »
Hey Masshole,

Congrats for staying off the Marlboros! Ive gained 19 pounds since I quit smoking, and could probably gain 20 more if I let myself. But I shant  :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »
Amateur!!  When I had Hep A mine were:   ALT 1645  AST 940.  You've barely stepped outside the reference range.

On a more serious -- all sorts of things can cause a temporary spike in these two enzymes.  When something "bigger" is going on, you generally see more than just the ALT/AST involved.  Of course, everyone is different and every instance can be unique, so while my advice is to not worry too much -- you and your doc are doing the right thing.

Mike

I've always read that the ALT enzyme is more connected to liver health.  However, AST can be elevated for various reasons--including muscle damage/loss, something going on with the heart, brain...well, many things.  But, definitely the liver as well.  Right??

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 01:28:16 am »
Tom,

Nothing much to add to what others have said.  Good luck with the results, this Tuesday,  And congrats on giving up the cigs.  I've been suggesting to people on this site, for years now, to try to give up that very filthy, and unhealthy habit.  I also gained quite a bit a weight back when I quit years ago, And I am currently at 168 LBS @ 5feet 7 inches. ( all In the gut of course) !   :-\  I've been as much as 182.  :o

I've got a gut feeling that you're not dealing with any of the heps. ~shrug~ I've learned to trust my guts and I hope I'm right this time too. It could just be a blip - liver enzymes do that sometimes - but if it isn't and it's the meds messing with you, I hope there's a decent alternative for you.

BTW, all of us pozzies should be occasionally checked for all the heps. Hep C in particular can be present without raising the red flag of elevated liver enzymes, so you can't always rely on those to urge your doctor to check. If you haven't been checked for hep recently, ask your doctor to run the blood tests next time you see him or her. Do it.

Skeebiehellitor.... it sounds like your new doctor is a keeper.

I agree with Ann on This, especially getting checked for all the HEPS.  There was just an article on this a few days back:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_hcv_mortality_1667_21432.shtml

I get checked regularly, for all the HEPS.   I see it on the blood test results, at least 3 times a year, which I thought was a little too much ,  but hey, best to be on the safe side.

More walking, more exercise, and you'll be able to loose a little of that unwanted weight,  but I think it's great that you gave up the smoking. 

Good luck---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 09:25:21 am »
Hey Masshole,

Congrats for staying off the Marlboros! Ive gained 19 pounds since I quit smoking, and could probably gain 20 more if I let myself. But I shant  :)

-Will

Lying again with numbers, I see -- double that and just be honest about the 40 lbs.

ps: I'm smoking again! HOORAY! I think I lasted 25 days though, so not bad. In fact, I'm going to go light up a Camel right now, and suck the deadly carcinogenic fumes into my lungs extra deep. I'm also eating a bowl of Jelly Bellies, and before that I had Crunch Berries.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:27:03 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 09:41:58 am »

Now if weight is what you want -- take the subway (walking will burn too many calories) to the North End and go to Mike's Pastry shop (no other -- just Mike's) and have a couple canolis.  God I miss those............

Mike

Yeah I'm not worried about it too much.  I'll cross that bridge if it comes.   Friday night my wife and I went to our new favorite spot, it's kind of a "Cheers" type bar slash seafood restaurant called Kelly's Landing, have you ever heard of it?  It's small, tight spaced, and loud--my kind of place.  

Thomas, living up there in MASS. will probably do you some good, I bet you look a lot healthier than you use to, can't you get your medical records from FL. when I moved to NM, I got all of mine from Ca. it's helpful to have them for your new ID-Doctor  ;)

Yeah I contacted them on Friday to see what the problem was because the request was put in over a month ago.  They said they never received the request, of course.  So I had the lady from the new office on one line while she sent it again and the other lady from the old office while she received it.  I still predict that it won't be sent.

Hey Masshole,

Congrats for staying off the Marlboros! Ive gained 19 pounds since I quit smoking, and could probably gain 20 more if I let myself. But I shant  :)

-Will

Newports!  Thanks though..... it's incredible how fast the weight came on, huh?

I've always read that the ALT enzyme is more connected to liver health.  However, AST can be elevated for various reasons--including muscle damage/loss, something going on with the heart, brain...well, many things.  But, definitely the liver as well.  Right??

Yup

Tom,

Nothing much to add to what others have said.  Good luck with the results, this Tuesday,  And congrats on giving up the cigs.  I've been suggesting to people on this site, for years now, to try to give up that very filthy, and unhealthy habit.  I also gained quite a bit a weight back when I quit years ago, And I am currently at 168 LBS @ 5feet 7 inches. ( all In the gut of course) !   :-\  I've been as much as 182.  :o

I agree with Ann on This, especially getting checked for all the HEPS.  There was just an article on this a few days back:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_hcv_mortality_1667_21432.shtml

I get checked regularly, for all the HEPS.   I see it on the blood test results, at least 3 times a year, which I thought was a little too much ,  but hey, best to be on the safe side.

More walking, more exercise, and you'll be able to loose a little of that unwanted weight,  but I think it's great that you gave up the smoking.  

Good luck---Ray

Thanks Ray, one of the best things I've ever done for myself for sure!

And, I agree, Ann's spot on about the hep testing.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 09:44:17 am »
ps: I'm smoking again! HOORAY! I think I lasted 25 days though, so not bad. In fact, I'm going to go light up a Camel right now, and suck the deadly carcinogenic fumes into my lungs extra deep. I'm also eating a bowl of Jelly Bellies, and before that I had Crunch Berries.

You'll probably outlive us all.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »

ps: I'm smoking again! HOORAY!

Smoking is soooo bad for you!. (yes I ahve become one of those people)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Growler

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 11:28:48 pm »
In fact, I'm going to go light up a Camel right now, and suck the deadly carcinogenic fumes into my lungs extra deep.

I'll trade you my left testicle for one of those little suckers.

GROWLER

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 11:54:01 pm »
Smoking is soooo bad for you!. (yes I ahve become one of those people)

-Will

Did you give up snorting poppers and coke too?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 07:35:58 am »
Yeah I'm not worried about it too much.  I'll cross that bridge if it comes.   Friday night my wife and I went to our new favorite spot, it's kind of a "Cheers" type bar slash seafood restaurant called Kelly's Landing, have you ever heard of it?  It's small, tight spaced, and loud--my kind of place.  

I don't recall Kelly's Landing -- of course if it's small, tight and loud -- I probably would have avoided it.  There is THE Kelly's at Revere Beach though -- very good whole-bellied fried clams (like there are any other kind besides whole-bellied -- clam strips are just nasty).

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

Good news!

Btw, it was the SPT(?)  that was worrying her she said.  It's back in the normal range at 56; I think she just said it was at 301 last time.  Hep A, B, and C all non reactive!  I almost want to smoke a ciggarette in celebration. (joking)

Thomas
  (who can now piss without suspicion)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »
Da-DAR  Vonderbar.

I am very pleased.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:57 pm »
Glad all of the tests came out good Thomas - and continued congrats on putting down the newports - I haven't been able fully willing to just yet....
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »

Great news Thomas, now whatever you do , don't fall-off-the-wagon, you've come too far now  ;)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:51 pm »

Good news!

Btw, it was the SPT(?)  that was worrying her she said.  It's back in the normal range at 56; I think she just said it was at 301 last time.  Hep A, B, and C all non reactive!  I almost want to smoke a ciggarette in celebration. (joking)

Thomas
  (who can now piss without suspicion)

Perhaps she said SGPT?  That is the old name for ALT.  AST used to be known as SGOT.

Happy to hear things are good.

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 11:52:48 am »
Good to hear you're back in normal ranges. Sometimes liver enzyme blips happen for no apparent reason. Good to hear you're negative for the heps too. Hepatitis sucks the big one - and not in a nice way! ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.