Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 524
Total: 524

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed & First labs  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Trev03

Newly Diagnosed & First labs
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:25 pm »
Diagnosed 11/4 and had blood draws on 11/11. Got the results of those today & my CD4 is 629 @ 39% & VL 1223. From what my Dr said & what I've read these are really good numbers. He was surprised that a newly infected person (I believe I had seroconversion symptoms in Sept). But he still wanted to start me on a regimen & I agreed. No real questions for the board, yet. Just thoughts oh how/why my numbers are what they are & being newly infected?  A friend of mine feels that I've been infected longer than I believe. Could be possible, but my symptoms in sept were classic hiv seroconversion symptoms.

Offline Mightysure

Re: Newly Diagnosed & First labs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:11:01 pm »
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you seem to be in good spirits; that goes a long way.  Your numbers are excellent.  It's entirely possible to be newly infected and have numbers like that.  Your CD4 percentage is amazing.  Your friend sounds like one of mine. Mine were 1060 CD4 and VL 630 and I was a newbie. I had no symptons so I had to go on testing history and exposure events. Your friend is likely going on statistics, but in most sets of stats, there are outliers.  It's entirely possible that you're one of them.  When was your last negative test?
Start treatment right away and you'll stop or prevent any new viral resevoirs from forming. 

Offline Trev03

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »
Thanks for replying!  Your first labs were better than mine!  I'll be starting tivicay & truvada next week. So hopefully I can be undetectable in a short time. I'm glad my dr was willing to go ahead & start treatment with my lab levels. I'd rather get in control of this sooner rather than later. I just hope side effects are minimal.

Offline GoForIt

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 04:16:43 pm »
What Mightysure said I echo.

Low VL and great CD4 on your labs.

I'm on T&T bout 2-3 yrs and 0 side effects works for me.

08/09/2013  Diagnosed WB positive
08/20/2013  CD4-506(28%)  VL-10,800
09/12/2013  CD4-391(28%)  VL-14,900
09/17/2013  Start ART (Truvada + Tivicay)
10/11/2013  CD4-377(26%)  VL-UD
12/20/2013  CD4-590(??%)  VL-UD
03/18/2014  CD4-660(29%)  VL-UD
07/22/2014  CD4-613(29%)  VL-UD
08/01/2014   Start Phase 3 TAF (Truvada 2.0) Clinical Trial (TAF + Tivicay)
10/09/2014  CD4-498(29.5%) VL-UD
11/06/2014  CD4-600(30.2%) VL-UD
01/30/2015  CD4-529(31.3%) VL-UD
07/25/2015  CD4-742(36.5%) VL-UD
10/06/2015  CD4-765(28.9%) VL-UD
01/05/2016  CD4-907(33.1%) VL-UD
03/24/2016  CD4-770(33.5%) VL-UD
06/20/2016  CD4-850(35.4%) VL-UD

Dr. Mark Wainberg on Dolutegravir:
Video 1: https://youtu.be/wCXOgLJqJAY
Video 2: https://youtu.be/DKiaD7fHO-s

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 04:54:00 pm »
I hear that's a great combo!  Side effects should be minimal.  Maybe a little nausea, but it should pass in a week if you experience it at all.  I was UD within a month and I have a similar regimen. My integrase inhibitor is different and requires a meal and a booster. 
I forgot to mention that I had tested negative a month before I tested poz. I couldn't have been infected anymore than 2 months.  The reason I tested back to back is because I had switched doctor's and he recommended I get tested. I'm thankful I agreed, but I figured it couldn't hurt anything...turns out it probably saved my life.

Just to give you an idea about my progress. I've been on treatment over a year.  My numbers have been stable around 1k CD4 and UD.  I've tested negative on 2 HIV diagnostic tests since then and I think it's because I started treatment early.  I know someone is going to ask why I tested when I knew I was infected already.

One was done by accident. My doctor ordered an HIV DNA test by mistake. He uses it for diagnostic purposes, but it didnt detect any viral DNA.  The other I took because I was joining a research study and had to test poz in order to join. Suffice it to say I wasn't able to and the managers of the study think that I was lying or misdiagnosed. LOL.  Oh well.  Not saying that that will happen to you, but I definitely think it's because I began treatment early and I was put on an integrase inhibitor.  You'll do just fine.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:53:45 pm »
Thanks for replying!  Your first labs were better than mine!  I'll be starting tivicay & truvada next week. So hopefully I can be undetectable in a short time. I'm glad my dr was willing to go ahead & start treatment with my lab levels. I'd rather get in control of this sooner rather than later. I just hope side effects are minimal.

ojo        Hello trevo3...welcome...your numbers are great, it seems, because of your VL, you have a new infection, so, with this good combo you are about to start, defeenetly, you will be UD, maybe, on your next blood work results and your soldiers, will rebounce, I could use some of your soldiers, would you share some of your soldiers?...again, welcome, best of luck, keep a good attitute to what we can not change, we just have to adjust to our new normal, which is not that bad nowadays, it could have been worse...proud of you for getting tested for hiv, now you know you have the bug, now you treat it...hugs            ojo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.