Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:54:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 244
Total: 248

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: From Regan/POZ  (Read 23002 times)

Offline cordelia

From Regan/POZ
« on: August 28, 2007, 02:45:04 pm »
Hi All,

Regan from POZ here. As Peter indicated, I wanted to share some thoughts spawned by the Jesus Sanchez/Sept. 2007 POZ threads.

First, I want to say that I appreciate having your feedback. I have to tell you, of all the covers we’ve produced since I came to POZ, I didn’t think this one would create such a controversy. The only controversy I thought it had the potential to stir up was around the tongue-in-cheek reference to the iconic image of Jesus walking on the water. Now, having read your comments and imagining looking at the cover image with a fresh eye, I think part of people’s reaction to Jesse has to do with the fact that perhaps his over-the-top attitude (which is intentional and playful) comes across without any irony if you’ve never met him.

That said Jesse's outlook is one I have encountered repeatedly. He embodies a mindset that I have found common among today's youth—one that's contributing to the spread of HIV. As hard as it may be to imagine, many young people are aware of HIV—but they don’t fear it sufficiently to avoid getting it and that’s a problem. If I had a dime for every time a young person said something like, “HIV is not really an issue. It’s manageable; you just take one pill once a day for life and you’re fine.” To me—a person who was given a year to live at the time of my diagnosis and someone who has seen many friends die from AIDS—this notion is totally alien. The idea of coming forward with one’s HIV status so soon after learning that you are positive is equally unimaginable to me. Jesse came to us—we did not seek him out nor invite him to tell his story. He contacted me eager to tell his tale. I had some concerns that he might not realize what he was getting into with such a public disclosure and I expressed those concerns to him. But, he is an adult, he had disclosed to his family, friends and job and felt strongly about wanting to share his story so that others, particularly young people, might not end up with HIV.

I chose to tell his story in POZ because Jesse is emblematic—maybe not of the entire younger community of people living with HIV (no one ever represents an whole demographic)—but certainly of a portion of people too young to even understand the horrors of HIV that many of us have seen and endured. We need to introduce those born after the discovery of the virus to the history of AIDS. I think this is an issue with AIDS today. As is the lack of sex education that clearly addresses the topic of HIV/AIDS.

It’s a very delicate line to walk (especially as an editor of an AIDS magazine and someone who’s trying to fight AIDS stigma) between trying to make HIV/AIDS approachable and not frightening to people while at the same time fighting to educate new generations of people about the dangers of HIV. I don’t want people to fear people living with HIV/AIDS but I do want people to be scared to death about the disease so they don’t contract it. How do we reconcile those seemingly diametrically opposed notions?

POZ is not in the business of telling people how one should live or act with HIV. We share the wide variety of responses people have to living with the virus in order to try to paint a complete picture of the incredibly diverse and complex face of AIDS circa 2007. No one should judge how someone else experiences HIV and personally, I think anyone who's willing to put their story and life on the line to raise awareness should, at the very least, be respected for doing that. Jesse’s approach to dealing with his diagnosis is just that—his. We are in no way endorsing him, nor are we commenting on the manner in which he expresses himself. In this era when young (and older!) people post every detail of their life on YouTube and MySpace and reveal their secrets in blogs and via text messages and ichats, it doesn’t surprise me that some people are ready to go fully public with their status soon after knowing that they are HIV positive. As part of our fact checking procedure (standard at all media outlets), we require proof of someone’s HIV status prior to featuring them in our magazine.

On a separate note, I noticed that many of you say you don’t read POZ or have had a hard time reaching us. Several of you remarked on POZ’s content and the kinds of people and stories we feature in the magazine. We do feature a great variety of people, from all ages, races, sexual orientations and genders. We absolutely show people with visible signs of having HIV and the effects of the meds. Our features are very hard hitting (recent feature stories include one on how rape in the war-torn Congo spreads HIV—not only to women but among the soldiers and young boys; another story explored the link between homophobia, AIDS-phobia, anti-gay lyrics and hate crimes in the Caribbean).

If you’d like to send me (or any other writer or editor at POZ) comments, please direct an email to letters@poz.com. Given the volume of mail we receive daily, we try to read everything but can’t always respond to each email. We print the good, the bad and the ugly letters on the “Letters to the Editor” page in each issue.

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading and I want you to know that I do hear you—and I visit the Forums regularly to read and understand what topics are on your minds. I would love you to read POZ, too. Every issue is available in its entirety online for free. It’s free at ASOs and you can also subscribe at POZ.com. I know some of you do already read POZ, and some even read my blogs (Matty, for example. And yes, I’m working on getting the hair under control.) Thanks for listening. And please send POZ and AIDSmeds your stories and your comments. Your opinions and insights are very valuable to us.

Regan

Offline Basquo

Re: From Regan/POZ
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:01:41 pm »
Regan, thank you for addressing some of the biggest issues that have risen in this situation.

Best,
Creighton

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:14 pm »
I mean no disrespect and I will read your reply again, but I am not clear about a few things. Did you or Sally Chew write this article? If Ms Chew wrote it I will patiently wait for her response. If she is the writer I would be much more interested in her response to my questions.

I see you mention Matty in your reply. One question why did you remove his comment from your blog? Folks won't be able to understand the reference. We do pay attention. :D

You are right about one thing the irony I expected after reading the title and viewing the cover was nonexistent in the article. In fact I thought both to be way too predictable.

What say you Ms Chew?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:25:47 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 03:44:55 pm »
Regan,

Thank you very much for your post and I will read it several times and give it some detailed thought, but I had an immediate reaction to this part of your response:

I think part of people’s reaction to Jesse has to do with the fact that perhaps his over-the-top attitude (which is intentional and playful) comes across without any irony if you’ve never met him.

That said Jesse's outlook is one I have encountered repeatedly. He embodies a mindset that I have found common among today's youth—one that's contributing to the spread of HIV. As hard as it may be to imagine, many young people are aware of HIV—but they don’t fear it sufficiently to avoid getting it and that’s a problem. If I had a dime for every time a young person said something like, “HIV is not really an issue. It’s manageable; you just take one pill once a day for life and you’re fine.”

The problem is that the irony doesn't come across in the article and neither does the admirable and applauable focus of how you perceived the article to appear (and as detailed above) simply becuase in my opinion there was no editorial voice to the article.

This has been the basis of my issue with the article from the beginning - it reads without instruction or guidance and unfortunately that loss of editorial voice leaves a bad impression of the subject matter as being celebrated instead of examined.

I do thank you though for clarifying this issue for us and I do plan on writing a more detailed response for the magazine letters section - but I am going to ask that you plan some kind of follow-up to this article  in the print version of Poz -I think it is badly needed.

All my best and with respect,

Iggy
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 04:18:35 pm by Iggy »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 04:21:54 pm »
"The only controversy I thought it had the potential to stir up was around the tongue-in-cheek reference to the iconic image of Jesus walking on the water. Now, having read your comments and imagining looking at the cover image with a fresh eye, I think part of people’s reaction to Jesse has to do with the fact that perhaps his over-the-top attitude (which is intentional and playful) comes across without any irony if you’ve never met him."   

Come on Regan you're being ironic with this statement right? If we only new the kid we would understand the irony of the article? Is this our fault or the writer? You also forget we spent a few days getting to know Jesus through our interaction with him through the forums way before the article was published. There is something I am missing here and it sure ain't irony.

Offline cordelia

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 04:51:25 pm »
Appreciate your replies. Actually, the comments are still posted on my blogs...I just checked. I did not delete them. If one didn't make it up, please re-post.

As far as Ms. Chew commenting directly, as editor of the magazine, I take responsibilty for what appears on its pages, though it is correct that I did not write the piece.

A profile is not typically an editorial format for sharing an overt editorial point-of-view, compared, say, to pieces intended to put forth opinion, such as the "Talking" opener, Op-eds, blogs or, to varying extents, feature stories and investigative pieces.

I agree that a piece exploring the contextual context that was unmined in this profile of Jesse could be very interesting indeed.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 05:01:43 pm »
A profile is not typically an editorial format for sharing an overt editorial point-of-view, compared, say, to pieces intended to put forth opinion, such as the "Talking" opener, Op-eds, blogs or, to varying extents, feature stories and investigative pieces..

Normally I would agree and appreciate that point - were it not for the context of the magazine and what you already stated:
That said Jesse's outlook is one I have encountered repeatedly. He embodies a mindset that I have found common among today's youth—one that's contributing to the spread of HIV.
(emphasis is mine)

This is why I find significant fault and irresponsibility of POZ to put such a profile as the cover story.

I hope you appreciate that I'm not challenging you personally, nor looking to get into more than a discussion of the actual issue here , but if you yourself agree that such a view and outlook that Jesse exhibits is one that can be shown as being responsible for the spread of HIV among young, then perhaps it isn't too wise to give that outlook a megaphone by way of non-editorialized cover story in a national magazine.

I agree that a piece exploring the contextual context that was unmined in this profile of Jesse could be very interesting indeed.
I agree as well, and would be very happy if this was the subject of the followup article to this piece - one that I will suggest requires similar cover story placement in near future issue of the magazine.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:05:09 pm by Iggy »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 05:12:03 pm »
Thank you for explaining this, Regan.

To be perfectly honest, I both appreciate and am at the same time skeptical of this explanation.  I don't think you're bullshitting, I really don't... yet I'm not quite sure that everything is being adequately expressed.

I'm left somewhat confused as to whether the entire article was supposed to be ironic, and thus a challenging and intellectually witty statement on very valid issues that worry you... because if it was, I'm afraid it didn't just not take off, it blew up in the hangar. 

If we are talking about a subject who views himself with such a subtle eye for the great intellectual humor fest that is irony, I would have expected something much more substantial out of the article, which would have put the lie to the superficiality and thus made the whole thing a playfully ironic treat.

However, the audience was given no indication that there was some overarching metanarrative to the article expressed via hyperbole and irony.  If it's there, then I'm afraid it's extraordinarily subtle and missed by everyone who read it.  I would then put it to you that if the audience completely fails to pick up on something expressed... then I'm afraid to say that it's the fault of the author. 

This is not to say that Ms. Chew is a bad writer, on the contrary, I have no idea what sort of writer she is... but I think that perhaps this particular subject (and whom you chose to highlight it) defies intellectual and humorous banter.  Which is to its detriment.

*Edited to add a teensy, yet important word.*
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:18:53 pm by aupointillimite »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
Hi Regan,

Thanks for responding.   You stated:

"We are in no way endorsing him, nor are we commenting on the manner in which he expresses himself."

I think some of us felt that you SHOULD have commented on it in the piece.
As some have suggested, a follow-up to this article would be great I think.

Thanks again,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 05:44:36 pm »
Regan, thank you very much for posting...it is important for us to carry a healthy dialog. I think, and I am certainly not speaking for anyone else but me when I say this, but it's the duplicity of this article that bothers me.

I think profiling a younger person with HIV is terrific...but, in this case it was too soon.

He's not on meds, he has no idea what is in store for him. He is 19, and is using this as a platform to kick start a career for himself.

In my humble opinion, again mine alone, Jesse presented himself as cavaleir to this group, and mocked those of us who have been poz a lot longer. I found his attitude to be slap in the face to me and well, to the others here.

As read and re-read the article, I tried to find where Jesse would actually acknowledge how serious of a situation he is in. And to that end, I think POZ as a magazine should have presented another point of view...I do read POZ, I have delivered to door, and I enjoy the publication...but POZ wanting to fight stigma and discrimination did not further it's cause by publishing this article...it hurt, it hurt me.

Again, Regan, thank you for joining in our dialog and thank you for presenting the reasons behind the article!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline cordelia

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 06:00:21 pm »
All your comments really help me understand the thinking and emotions behind the feedback. And this is really helpful.

Indeed, when we chose to frame this story as a profile rather than to expound on the issue of newly diagnosed youth and how their reactions and attitudes may differ from those of us who have lived with HIV for longer, and through, arguably, much darker days, we did not expound on how and why that may be true and what that means for people who are newly diagnosed today.

It was never an intention to make light of anything, nor to be flip or ironic for the sake of being either, but rather, to let the set of circumstances surrounding Jesse and his recent diagnosis speak for themselves. I hear your call for greater stewardship around such a sensitive issue and I can tell you, had I known that this issue would strike so many nerves, I would have delved into the story from a wider angle--and offered more context.

Again, I'll think of how best we can address it going forward.

Offline jessem3s

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 06:00:37 pm »

He's not on meds, he has no idea what is in store for him. He is 19, and is using this as a platform to kick start a career for himself.

For the last week I have held back from posting on the blogs and putting my 2 cents in it but I just wanted to make a comment:

So only people who have been on meds and have suffered the effects of HIV meds and HIV itself should be on the cover of POZ or for that matter any HIV publication?
That is exactly what I am getting from this comment.

I may not know what is in store for me but nor do you or anyone in this world.
As far as my career is concerned I would refer you back to the article.
I had already started my career without being on poz magazine. I was working in a news station as a news writer. You are making assumptions that really have no logic.
Last time I checked there was no “OUT” HIV+ reporter reporting on this years Oscars. If you read the last paragraph of the article it talks about me knowing the struggles I WILL face now that I am open about my status.

Jesse

Note: if anyone has anything to say about me please PM me! Thanks

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:03:43 pm by jessem3s »

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 06:05:43 pm »
regan, thank you for responding to us
looking forward to seeing you address the issues raised in the future
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 06:18:05 pm »
Regan

Thanks for addressing the issue.  This has been such a hot topic on this board (in both a good and bad way). 

I also enjoy your blog.

It would be great to hear from you more on these boards and get your take on things. 

Pete

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 06:33:43 pm »
For the last week I have held back from posting on the blogs and putting my 2 cents in it but I just wanted to make a comment:

So only people who have been on meds and have suffered the effects of HIV meds and HIV itself should be on the cover of POZ or for that matter any HIV publication?

I may not know what is in store for me but nor do you or anyone in this world.
As far as my career is concerned I would refer you back to the article.
I had already started my career without being on poz magazine. I was working in a news station as a news writer. You are making assumptions that really have no logic.
Last time I checked there was no “OUT” HIV+ reporter reporting on this years Oscars. If you read the last paragraph of the article it talks about me knowing the struggles I WILL face now that I am open about my status.

Jesse

Note: if anyone has anything to say about me please PM me! Thanks

Jesse,

My point is this...you are so new to this disease, that you have no idea what it is to be sick. What is to look in the mirror and only see a shadow of your previous self. You have no clue, what it's like to walk in to a hospital, and not be released for a week, because you are on the verge of death. You haven't felt your insides feel as they are on fire and they are going to burst, because you can't make to the bathroom in time...you have never sat in a crowded movie theatre and shit your pants because you can't get out of the row in time.

You probably have no idea what it is like to plan your own funeral with your mother and father because you have only been given a limited time to live. You have no idea what's it's like to cough and feel your lungs burning because you can't catch your breath.

Jesse, should I go on...or can you see past yourself for ONCE?? And understand what your "contribution" has done? This disease, this virus, it isn't a fucking joke...I am pissed Jesse cause your cavalier attitude towards all of this laughs in the faces of those of us have experienced the above. I am sorry, Jesse if I don't welcome you with open arms...because, frankly you haven't lived yet...you have no idea what life is like, when you can't afford to get to the doctor, or what it's like because you make a thousand dollars more than what qualifies you for Medicare or Medicaid!

I will not sit here and have some kid lecture me on what's its like to live with this...oh and the meds...? It's not just the HIV meds buddy, it's also the 15 other medications I take to counter the side affects of this disease...

I will not apologize for the way this made me feel..and one more thing...your published... you, Jesse, are now in the public eye...you don't have the privilege of private messages any more...it's the article, it's the attitude exuded, in your post here, that we are discussing. You, Jesse, have allowed this to happen, by being in a PUBLIC, publication.

This is part and parcel of the package baby, my suggestion to you...get some thick skin, because, your life has just begun Jesse...it's only started. When you put yourself out there like you did in this publication...I said it once I will say it again: You gave up your privilege to not be discussed. So, no, I won't PM you...and if you want to gain credibility and earn our respect, because you haven't yet, Jesse...you came in here demanding respect...that's not how it works.

Grow up, take the hits, you might just learn something.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:46:17 pm by pozguy75 »
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 06:43:54 pm »
I chose to tell his story in POZ because Jesse is emblematic—maybe not of the entire younger community of people living with HIV (no one ever represents an whole demographic)—but certainly of a portion of people too young to even understand the horrors of HIV that many of us have seen and endured. We need to introduce those born after the discovery of the virus to the history of AIDS. I think this is an issue with AIDS today. As is the lack of sex education that clearly addresses the topic of HIV/AIDS.

Regan,

I sincerely appreciate your response to the recent comments about the article on Jesse.  I do agree in particular with the portion of your response I have quoted above.  There is a growing community of people who do not entirely understand the potential consequences of HIV, or believe there are few consequences.  But I do not believe this came across at all in this article, rather, it perpetuated this viewpoint.  

As I stated in the letter I emailed to Poz Magazine, I believe a large and important piece of the article was missing.  It doesn't stand well on its own, and I could not figure out what (if anything) Poz was trying to convery.  Consequently, it came across to me, and apparently others, as a "fluff" piece.  And being HIV+ is anything but "fluff".

I think a follow-up article is needed, and could be very informative.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 07:07:57 pm »
Jesse,

I must agree with Pozguy75, when he states that your life is no longer private:

you, Jesse, are now in the public eye...you don't have the privilege of private messages any more...it's the article, it's the attitude exuded, in your post here, that we are discussing. You, Jesse, have allowed this to happen, by being in a PUBLIC, publication.

You've appeared in Poz Magazine.  You're chosen profession involves being the public face of broadcast media.  Of course people are going to be talking about you in public, and it's not all going to be favorable.  I'd think you would find a way to use it to your advantage.

You also have to try to understand the strong emotions you have stirred up here with folks who have been living with HIV and AIDS a long time, and have suffered some horrible consequences.  In these people's eyes, myself included, you just don't have any street creds yet when it comes to being HIV+.  You may not give a flip about that -- you'll have to decide if what other people think of you is important or not.  But as a public figure, I can guarantee you'll be getting a lot more opinions from people about you, than you ever thought possible.

To be fair, you never said that your life with HIV would be a bowl of cherries.  But that is what comes across in the article, not so much by what it says, but by what is doesn't say.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 08:18:54 pm »

It was never an intention to make light of anything, nor to be flip or ironic for the sake of being either, but rather, to let the set of circumstances surrounding Jesse and his recent diagnosis speak for themselves. I hear your call for greater stewardship around such a sensitive issue and I can tell you, had I known that this issue would strike so many nerves, I would have delved into the story from a wider angle--and offered more context.

Again, I'll think of how best we can address it going forward.

Regan, et al

This thread, with its diversity of responses, concerns, etc. IS THE NEXT ARTICLE. You have a basket brimming with the truth and easily extracted statements. How much better could it be than to let this feedback BE the compassion-driven, interesting story that it is?

And, consider for a moment what it will do for bringing attention to the virus--hopefully to some degree prevention; the viewpoints of the newly diagnosed vs the longer term and mid-term; the often lively discourse which abounds on the site and the potential for subsequent increases in site membership, lessening of stigma and increase in accuracy of all sorts of medical information being made available to more people. This is a partial list of possible outcomes.

Em

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
Regan, et al

This thread, with its diversity of responses, concerns, etc. IS THE NEXT ARTICLE. You have a basket brimming with the truth and easily extracted statements. How much better could it be than to let this feedback BE the compassion-driven, interesting story that it is?

And, consider for a moment what it will do for bringing attention to the virus--hopefully to some degree prevention; the viewpoints of the newly diagnosed vs the longer term and mid-term; the often lively discourse which abounds on the site and the potential for subsequent increases in site membership, lessening of stigma and increase in accuracy of all sorts of medical information being made available to more people. This is a partial list of possible outcomes.

Em

Em, I couldn't agree with you more...well said!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 08:41:05 pm »
In looking back over Jesse's posting history, I see that his first posts were in July of 2006 in "Am I Infected?" forum (which he has subsequently removed) where he was asking for information about PEP, fearing he had been exposed to hiv after having protected sex.

Then, he tests postive in Feb 2007, and is on the cover of POZ by summer....
THAT is the real story here.

"As hard as it may be to imagine, many young people are aware of HIV—but they don’t fear it sufficiently to avoid getting it and that’s a problem"

That IS a problem, and that is what needs to be reported on.

I think the ball is in POZ's court now, to sum up all the parts that make up the story of Jesse, and put that in print.

Just my 2 cents worth....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:43:01 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 08:47:35 pm »

Oh good Lord, I'm not going to believe you're that bloody daft. 

No.  No one is saying, "Only people with lipo or who have been taking meds can be on the cover."  No one is implying that.  I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that at some point in its storied history, Poz has put someone on the cover who has never ever ever ever ever ever ever taken one bit of HAART. 

The issue here, good sir, is the broadcasting of certain completely ignorant and patently false statements that you have 1) not apologized for, but also 2) don't see any possible reason why what you've said has been so off-putting and downright offensive. 

I was your age in the grand old year of 2002.  I was not yet poz, but there was HAART.  It had been around for quite some time, by that point... but none of us (and I can't imagine anyone my age who would think this now) would consider HIV to be the cakewalk that, so far as we can tell, you seem to think it is. 

Because I don't care if they invent a once a week pill, I can tell you that 1) it will probably make you shit your brains out or go somewhat insane like Sustiva, or 2) it's so toxic, your liver explodes like the Hindenburg, or 3) it doesn't work for some people, or 4) some people's immune counts don't respond very well to undetectable viral loads... I could on.

I take that stupid once a day pill... which made me go slightly insane for two weeks in November and which still makes me feel wonksters and stoned on occasion. 

And that stupid once a day pill and awesome CD4 counts didn't prevent MRSA from coming extremely close to killing me last month via a near miss brain infection.

It can still kill you.  It still does kill people.

Not to mention the complete and utter disregard your remarks have had for the other... what is it?  Over 90% of HIV-positive people around the world (and in this country!) who can't get access to medications.

Do you know what happens to them, Jesse?

They die. 

They fucking die.

Every last one of them dies.

There's no one a day pill for them, no cliched statements of support and awareness, no coterie of beautiful straight girls. 

Just a hole in the ground in Africa or Alabama, some family members crying, and a wretched article in a magazine that bills itself as chronicling this epidemic both in the US and around the world featuring a young man who dares to think that we can all take one pill and be OK.

Show some respect, if not some discrection, in the future... and maybe you'll get a better reaction from people.

Just sayin'.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 09:14:41 pm »
Au point

Powerful and on point. The first thing I said when I received my confirming results was, " I am glad I am not a woman living in Africa." That med access is such a critical issue for so many is haunting and frightening. And, it should be compelling as well.

and Alan...

Your post caused me to look at Jesse's previous posts and interestingly, the many photos (Ann encouraged him not to post so in the future), as so many of us (including me) have dial up and download lag issues. The photos remain posted. I know of no other poster who's posted so many look-at-me shots. Another story featuring Jesse, would be what he wants...more ink. His story's been told.

I doubt POZ would go the route of assembling the chronology of Jesse's acquisition (hey, how the heck do you know he was inquiring about PEP--you must have prowled before he took it down?) that would be perceived as possibly cruel, invasive and alienating----it would create a tone and could even be seen (therefore pursued) as borderline libelous. Were I editor, I wouldn't do it. I think the members of this site are an interesting lot, individually or collectively and absolutely newsworthy .

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 09:35:28 pm »
Good points, Em.   You're right of course, more ink on the topic would probably be counterproductive at this point.   I was just inferring that there was a "story behind the story".  (I had to do some detective work to get it; you go back to the threads in which he deleted his posts and glean from the replies what he was asking; Andy's reply gave me all the info I needed).

I love the forums!  We can discuss so many things, in a mature and calm manner and learn so much from each other!

I also thought Benj's post was spot on.

hugs,
Alan

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 09:43:27 pm »
I am glad this post is up, because as pissed off as I still am, I would like to use it as an opportunity to apologize to Jesse for hurting his feelings, which I didn't mean to but I most probably did. My main issue is with the magazine and it built up over time and before Jesse's article. That is not to say that all the points about Jesse needing to learn more and be more respectful are not valid, because they absoluetly are. But I still see Jesse as being used and now I see him as being scapegoated in retrospect as as well by the same people who used him. He didn't/doesn't know better and it takes time to learn. But they did.

Jesse, your poses and glamour pics are not my personal cup of tea but I do understand where you are coming from in the sense that after the diagnosis one can go the route of self destruction and depression or just try to persevere somehow and carry on with whatever s/he was doing before (which is what I did initially, now I am skidding a bit). So I guess this cover was a natural evolution from the MySpace pics, just trying to keep being what you are, who you are, and take this attitude into your new life as a poz. And what you are is beautiful, glam, flippant and young. And there is nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't agree with the reality of HIV as it unfolded for the vast majority of the people. Problem is POZ doesn't quite conform with that reality either, and it doesn't have the excuse that you have of being fresh, young, incredibly new to this, and probably for all your bravado scared shitless.

Once again my apologies and I wish you will NOT fall apart over this debate but try to see that people are speaking from their own pain, frustration and anger, which you will eventually share to some degree.

I do wish to see you smiling Jesse, and all of us keeping smiling (pozguy75 for all your hardships and pain, you still look awsome. A real encouragement and inspiration). But I want these "smiles" to be real ones and not fake and airbrushed, and that is what I feel POZ is lacking. It kinda sorta reports the truth about HIV, but not quite. And I can't help wondering if the huge revenues that it generates from the drug adverts contribute to this glossing over. But I am tired of being pissed off with that.

I'm sorry Jesse.

(edited to add NOT)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:47:15 pm by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 09:56:07 pm »
Dragonette, all due respect...it's not so much the article that pissed me off...it is Jesse's attitude.

He came marching in here with an arrogance demanding attention and in his limited 19 years...he has so much to learn. I won't apologize for my words or my feelings, because, it's giving him an out...with no accountability for his role...if we keep giving people passes on accountability then where are we headed?

POZ needs to take responsibility for their part in all of this...they are the Dr. Frankenstein...and now they need to control their monster...but at the same time
Jesse needs to be accountable for his actions, his words.

I can't agree with the apology...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 09:59:05 pm »
Dragonette, all due respect...it's not so much the article that pissed me off...it is Jesse's attitude.

He came marching in here with an arrogance demanding attention and in his limited 19 years...he has so much to learn. I won't apologize for my words or my feelings, because, it's giving him out...with no accountability for his role...if we keep giving people passes on accountability then where are we headed?

POZ needs to take responsibility for their part in all of this...they are the Dr. Frankenstein...and now they need to control their monster...but at the same time
Jesse needs to be accountable for his actions, his words.

I can't agree with the apology...

Hear hear!

I agree wholeheartedly with my distinguished colleague from North Carolina.

Offline JeffreyM

• 11:11
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 10:06:19 pm »
Regan, Thank you for taking the time to respond in the forums.  I'm new to the board, but I'm not new to the virus.  I am very happy that Young People like Jesse are not having to deal with the horrors that some of us have went through. I think having the ability to communicate, to bridge the HIV/AIDS Generation Gap is a very good thing to do.  Thanks JeffreyM

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 10:20:49 pm »
Isn't this thread supposed to be about the Poz magazine cover story and not Jesse's activity on the this web forum?  These are two separate issues, or should be, at least if you expect Regan to take anything away from it.

Otherwise I'm afraid I'm just getting horribly bored with all of this. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 10:26:01 pm »
...and now they need to control their monster...

Jeromy -- In your previous post, you eloquently stated your feelings about Jesse.  We get it.  The insult above is one that should not be used against any of our fellow HIV positive forum members.  I would hate for this thread to degrade to the same level Jesse's original thread fell to.  Consider yourself warned.

Peter

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 10:27:39 pm »
Isn't this thread supposed to be about the Poz magazine cover story and not Jesse's activity on the this web forum?  These are two separate issues, or should be, at least if you expect Regan to take anything away from it.

Otherwise I'm afraid I'm just getting horribly bored with all of this. 

Well then Philly I respectfully say go away if we can't keep you entertained. Jesse posted, people responded, and that is the way it works whether you like it or not. I think Regan can wade through what you consider tedious and make her own decisions.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 10:30:26 pm »
Well then Philly I respectfully say go away if we can't keep you entertained. Jesse posted, people responded, and that is the way it works whether you like it or not. I think Regan can wade through what you consider tedious and make her own decisions.

The commentary started before Jesse sauntered in actually.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 10:31:17 pm »
Jeromy -- In your previous post, you eloquently stated your feelings about Jesse.  We get it.  The insult above is one that should not be used against any of our fellow HIV positive forum members.  I would hate for this thread to degrade to the same level Jesse's original thread fell to.  Consider yourself warned.

Peter

I am sorry for making the statement...I allow my emotions to overrule my own internal censor and I let the beast inside speak. I apologize to everyone on the forums. Please do not follow my example be caught in flame war. It was a back handed insult, and again, I sincerely apologize to POZ, and everyone on this forum.

Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 10:53:36 pm »
As far as Ms. Chew commenting directly, as editor of the magazine, I take responsibilty for what appears on its pages, though it is correct that I did not write the piece.

I'm sorry Regan, but I feel like I am reading a company form letter that is sent out standard issue to vaguely address a problem. Since you are the go between would you ask Ms Chew if she felt she gave her readers the impression that Jesus was not responsible for his infection. That this kid who you yourself classify as an adult was somehow not at fault because his partners were over thirty. Ms Chew takes pains to explain that Jesus was too young to understand the dynamic and to me offers an excuse for his infection. You can't have it both ways when you decide to use the "he is an adult" as a reason.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:55 pm »
Hmmm, interesting indeed. I appreciate Regan stopping by and responding but I am with Alan on this one, many of us  still questions how Jesse got on the cover so quickly when the article came out only 2 months after his + diagnosis? Regan's reply was he contacted us? Ok, and? That is all it takes? Just because he is 19 and 2 months into this virus, that was enough? I am still confused by this and still feels that Regan's answer is not an answer at all.

Then Jesse quips sarcastically that because he is not on meds and doesn't have any side effects, it shouldn't qualify him for the cover? Honestly to me...Hell No. I've been with this virus for 10 yrs,not on meds and never has been in the hospital for anything, should I be on the cover of Poz, to me, Hell No... Although I have been infected longer than Jesse true enough but I don't have anything that I would feel would be helpful to others or that they could relate to and I feel Jesse doesn't either, not even to those in his age range. I said in the other thread what message Jesse gave with his article in my opinion. Now I look over to his line under his avatar...Another cry for attention...No one is obsessed with you Jesse, get over it and yourself. You may not be loved here but I hardly think anyone hates you.

Then I keep seeing where folks is saying Jesse got used by Poz magazine. Sorry, I don't see that. Regan said he contacted them, so how is that being used? If anything he put himself out there like a $2 ho. I know Peter may say something about that statement but it's the best way I can say it. Not saying Jesse is a ho but his actions to me were kinda whorish. Sorry but I don't use glamourous words like many here and I call it like I see it.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Iggy

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 11:01:06 pm »
Then I keep seeing where folks is saying Jesse got used by Poz magazine.

I'm actually thinking that they misused him.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 11:08:52 pm »
I understand more the reason for deciding to go without a biographical type piece, but without the commentary on it, the article just amounts to a featured 'myspace' (especially noting the derivative article about myspace and youtube on poz now.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:22:43 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 11:09:59 pm »
I'm actually thinking that they misused him.

I am still not seeing that. But I am open to you trying to make me see the light so to speak. Nice avatar pic by the way... ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 11:24:54 pm »
Indeed, when we chose to frame this story as a profile rather than to expound on the issue of newly diagnosed youth and how their reactions and attitudes may differ from those of us who have lived with HIV for longer, and through, arguably, much darker days, we did not expound on how and why that may be true and what that means for people who are newly diagnosed today.

Hello Reagan, thanks a lot for your openness and taking your time to reply. I think that if people want to see profiles, they can go on poz.com and look at profiles there. The article, as you noticed, is not more than an extended profile, and I believe the rage about this article was that there was no stepping back and go deeper in what Jesse thinks HIV will bring or withdraw from his life, his intentions, his future.

Jesse, no-one knows what your future will be, and you're absolutely right about that. Given the tone of your response I believe that you have started reading about other people's experiences and that you start to realize how your entry in those forums was a bit extravagant and elephantesque, which explains much of the broken glass around here, I will also note that the initial cornering and pushing escalation driving you to post your results online did not help in calming it down.

I feel something good will come out from this discussion with Reagan. I have never read Poz magazine and I haven't seen it at my doctor's office, so I won't comment about the overall editorials.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:25 pm »
Regan,

Thanks for joining in.  You really are a wonderful, insightful writer.  Why not join in the conversation more often.  It really can be a kick, even for a busy professional.   ;D  (emoticons: gotta love 'em)

The first thing I noticed when I got the hard copy was the camera angle of the cover photo.  Maybe not best to show him looking down his nose at everyone, especially given the body of the article.  The photo on the banner (with its crucifix motif) wasn't much better.

And then I saw a 19 year old kid.  A lump of coal on its way to becoming a diamond.  Which of course requires a great deal of pressure, which he got in spades.  A hefty dose of growing-up advice along with it.

He has changed his signature photo from Anna Nicole to Miranda Priestly (my current fictional heroine--"Am I asking too much here?  Not really.")  Is that significant?  Time will tell.

I think Matty got it right in another thread.  He is 19.  Anyone remember back that far?  And how many of us were also infected at that age.  I'm one.  Something about glass houses and stones.

Dear Cordelia, gentle Cordelia, what a shame you don't pop by more often.  I find it a really great way to recharge the batteries, after a harsh day of "reality."

And I really must ask:  Where is Goneril?  What have you and Regan done with her??  You know daddy always liked you best.

JR  
(once an English major, always an English major)

edited because my inner editor insisted on clarity
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:03:27 pm by gabbardjr »
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 11:30:50 pm »
I am still not seeing that. But I am open to you trying to make me see the light so to speak. Nice avatar pic by the way... ;)

In my mind, both arguments, whether Jesse using the mag, or POZ using Jesse is really moot.

I'm not that concerned about Jesse's aspirations or wants in this incident and I don't mean that negatively .  It's just that his story is not as important to me as the lost potential of his story.  Now that may seem a little cold, but it was his decision to make his story be a public cover story and thus it is to be judged (by his own actions) as to whether or not it is a success in that arena - and obviously as shown by the reactions of this board - it is not.

So my focus is now on POZ and frankly I think they had an opportunity here to not only educate but to really reach out to both the younger population at risk as well as the older HIV+ crowd who can't understand the newbies outlook.

It was a unique and much needed angle that could both aid prevention efforts as well as shorten a sort of gap between two very different populations in the HIV community.

Unfortunately I think it did the exact opposite in making many LTS feel even more distant from newbies,  and frankly I think the sort of glorification of Jesse through this profile may in the end actually do harm to those his age who see him almost as a role model or star and perhaps see his flippancy of HIV as a reason not to care much about their own risks.

This is why I say they misused him and that is the issue.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:57:08 am by Iggy »

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 11:33:22 pm »
Finally i make it to read this thread on time.... i arrived late to all the others :( (the problems of not having internet as God orders).

I would like to say some things...

1. I think Poz tries to show up different faces of Hiv/Aids and yet if you find Jesse's not your taste... there are thousand people thinking and acting like him. It is not only Poz mag's duty to prevent or wake them up... but ours too. So i guess the question is about what have we done about it (more than criticizing and hurting jesse). If you don't like teen's way of thinking... then lets do something. Not with Jesse... he already received a lot, what about the guys near you? in schools or somewhere else? I got that from the article, it was a way to say "this is happening" and my reaction was "we have to do something", criticizing is not the first step towards fixing this and certainly the Mag is not responsible for that....Jesse is just part of the society we have created.

2. To appear in Poz is not easy and they are not irresponsible with it. I requested a blog a month and a half after being diagnosed, and it took them long to reply me, long to think about it, lot of questions, lot of things to fullfill (like showing my face pic when i had first asked them to let me do it without pic). It was a challenge... then i had to do several tries until my first post saw the light. I had to be very decided to do it, not to give up in the middle of the long process. My point is, most of us don't know Jesse... and we know internet can give us false images of people. What about if despite his attitude, he was strong enough to show up his face... perhaps stronger than most of us at 19. Is it that wrong? Are we all so ashamed of being Poz that became unable to accept someone who might not feel same way?. If he worked his way to the cover... fine, good for him. It was his will and he made it to convince editors. At least he was sincere, showing himself the way he is... you found it superficial... then don't attack him just try to help him to understand this situation better. And don't blame the magazine to show up someone who wanted to give the face. I guess we all could have appeared in the cover... but most of us didn't want to until now. And since we are talking about the Poz Mag i think Regan's answer is the only needed and appropiated, she is the responsible for the Mag and has been able to explain their point of view about the article.

3. I personally think Poz does show up the "real" face of Aids (despite we like or not some of those faces). We should better go out and start talking to those 19 years old so they won't get infected and we won't need to have another article about them. I personally think people need to see Hiv/Aids from all angles... from deep to superficial, from happy to sad... after all... haven't we heard enough about bad things Aids can do to people? hasn't it been showed in overdosis building what we call "stigma" nowadays?. I have heard lot about it. I am not saying it is wrong, but lets find balance in content. I like when i see how others are living with the virus despite i might like or not their lifestyles or way of being... it just shows me... we all can survive.

4. If we are all so interested in showing different faces of Aids, then why don't we write to Poz and request our story on cover. With full name and pic. More than that... discussing and criticising something we are not able to equal or do could be pointless.

and finally, lets give the boy a rest and the chance to learn with us about this new path while we cooperate with the Magazine by giving them our stories to show on the cover and enrich the content we are all complaining about.

Cheers, Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 12:45:12 am »
And why is this Off Topic?

It should be in "Living with HIV".

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline edfu

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 01:00:55 am »
pozguy75, Iggy, Dachshund, aupoint, emeraldize, Queen Akasha:

BRAVI!!!!!!
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline asaint

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2007, 01:36:58 am »
True kids 12-24 years are at risk, but surely they could of found or reported on a better subject them our very own narcissistic Jessem3s

Quote from POZ article

Sanchez says he learned plenty about HIV in high school but also admits that he felt “invincible” before testing positive. “When people told me it can happen to you, I was, like, ‘Ha ha, that’s not me.’” Melíz Martin, a chum since middle school who is one of a coterie of beautiful straight girls Sanchez calls friends, says, “I told Jesus on numerous occasions, ‘Something could happen to you, because you’re being totally promiscuous.’” Did he know the risks? “I knew everything—100 percent—about HIV,” says Sanchez, who, as an aspiring member of the broadcast media, was attuned to the HIV prevention campaigns on South Florida radio, TV and billboards. “I was ignoring it,” he says. Sanchez describes himself as a vulnerable teen, too carried away by romantic yearnings to be careful about HIV.

Then he contradicts himself

Before his diagnosis, Sanchez didn’t know guys like himself who had HIV—or even talked about it. “I realize that [I might not have gotten HIV] if maybe someone who was my age had told me, ‘Hey, this can happen to you, don’t be stupid. Don’t be so naïve!’”

To me this makes the POZ article invalid and self promoting for Jesus
6/11 VL <50   CD4 (9%)   CD8 (54%}

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 01:51:41 am »
I don't see where is the contradiction. Unless I missed something you're noting that Jesse is saying that he thought he knew about hiv but it didn't apply to him.

I think the main problem is that he has no clue yet of what having HIV means. And his friends have no clue either. The "omg ! omg ! you have hiv!" doesn't go beyond that. Ask them why it's bad that Jesse is hiv. That would be an interesting article. Such as.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline asaint

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 02:25:01 am »
Did he know the risks? “I knew everything—100 percent—about HIV,” says Sanchez, who, as an aspiring member of the broadcast media, was attuned to the HIV prevention campaigns on South Florida radio, TV and billboards. “I was ignoring it,” he says

then he says no one told him about the risks

Before his diagnosis, Sanchez didn’t know guys like himself who had HIV—or even talked about it. “I realize that [I might not have gotten HIV] if maybe someone who was my age had told me, ‘Hey, this can happen to you, don’t be stupid. Don’t be so naive!’”

Did he not know from radio, TV and billboards? OK its not from guys like him telling him but from millions of dollars AD campains
its a contradiction never the less
6/11 VL <50   CD4 (9%)   CD8 (54%}

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2007, 04:07:05 am »
Finally i make it to read this thread on time.... i arrived late to all the others :( (the problems of not having internet as God orders).

I would like to say some things...

1. I think Poz tries to show up different faces of Hiv/Aids and yet if you find Jesse's not your taste... there are thousand people thinking and acting like him. It is not only Poz mag's duty to prevent or wake them up... but ours too. So i guess the question is about what have we done about it (more than criticizing and hurting jesse). If you don't like teen's way of thinking... then lets do something. Not with Jesse... he already received a lot, what about the guys near you? in schools or somewhere else? I got that from the article, it was a way to say "this is happening" and my reaction was "we have to do something", criticizing is not the first step towards fixing this and certainly the Mag is not responsible for that....Jesse is just part of the society we have created.

2. To appear in Poz is not easy and they are not irresponsible with it. I requested a blog a month and a half after being diagnosed, and it took them long to reply me, long to think about it, lot of questions, lot of things to fullfill (like showing my face pic when i had first asked them to let me do it without pic). It was a challenge... then i had to do several tries until my first post saw the light. I had to be very decided to do it, not to give up in the middle of the long process. My point is, most of us don't know Jesse... and we know internet can give us false images of people. What about if despite his attitude, he was strong enough to show up his face... perhaps stronger than most of us at 19. Is it that wrong? Are we all so ashamed of being Poz that became unable to accept someone who might not feel same way?. If he worked his way to the cover... fine, good for him. It was his will and he made it to convince editors. At least he was sincere, showing himself the way he is... you found it superficial... then don't attack him just try to help him to understand this situation better. And don't blame the magazine to show up someone who wanted to give the face. I guess we all could have appeared in the cover... but most of us didn't want to until now. And since we are talking about the Poz Mag i think Regan's answer is the only needed and appropiated, she is the responsible for the Mag and has been able to explain their point of view about the article.

3. I personally think Poz does show up the "real" face of Aids (despite we like or not some of those faces). We should better go out and start talking to those 19 years old so they won't get infected and we won't need to have another article about them. I personally think people need to see Hiv/Aids from all angles... from deep to superficial, from happy to sad... after all... haven't we heard enough about bad things Aids can do to people? hasn't it been showed in overdosis building what we call "stigma" nowadays?. I have heard lot about it. I am not saying it is wrong, but lets find balance in content. I like when i see how others are living with the virus despite i might like or not their lifestyles or way of being... it just shows me... we all can survive.

4. If we are all so interested in showing different faces of Aids, then why don't we write to Poz and request our story on cover. With full name and pic. More than that... discussing and criticising something we are not able to equal or do could be pointless.

and finally, lets give the boy a rest and the chance to learn with us about this new path while we cooperate with the Magazine by giving them our stories to show on the cover and enrich the content we are all complaining about.

Cheers, Juan Carlos

© Written By Someone Else, Inc.

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 05:16:45 am »
© Written By Someone Else, Inc.

Monsieur aupointillimite... je voudrai te dire que quand je post, c'est moi qui ecris, personne plus.

Perhaps you will also doubt I do speak some French. You have never talked to me and the first thing you do is to say my post is not mine.

Is this also a face of aids? Yes. (no pun intented... just showing that we are all different... and yes, we do behave like this and like jesse, and like the most mature member in this forums... thats the way we are, and it should be shown that way. That's our thruth.

By other hand, your comment is offensive in my culture and i won't accept it. If you are not to contradict my points or enrich them at least don't call them false. I sincerely invite you to read my posts and my aidsmeds blog and there you will find the way i think (available in english by using an online translator).

Cheers, Juan Carlos (who believes poz world is filled with diverse type of individuals and mindsets and should be accepted and SHOWN that way)
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 06:26:27 am »
2. To appear in Poz is not easy and they are not irresponsible with it. I requested a blog a month and a half after being diagnosed, and it took them long to reply me, long to think about it, lot of questions, lot of things to fullfill (like showing my face pic when i had first asked them to let me do it without pic).

No Juan, Poz magazine is not always responsible with who they put on the cover of the magazine or who they give a blog to. They accept people at face value and are no more privy to the "real" person behind the blog than we are. Did you send the responsible people of Poz the photos of yourself that you were so eager to share with some of us? I've noticed you have removed them from your "dating" profile. To me they show the real face, so to speak, of aids. You are right, there are many faces of aids and Poz has no more way of recognizing someone that has two than we do. You can't have it both ways.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:49:35 am by Dachshund »

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 07:43:17 am »
Sounds like a witch hunt all the way around to me. I thought we were all here to help and support each other.
Meds doing well so far.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.