Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 339
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Peripheral Neuropathy Study Supports Legalizing Medical Marijuana  (Read 8733 times)

Offline Robert

This ARTICLE is in today SF Chronicle.  I don't smoke marijuana but I do have PN.  Some days iit's tolerable; others, it just kills me but I've got a great game face.  I just suck it up.   But I know there are some here who do prefer the weed and would certainly agree with the results of the study.

robert
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:21:47 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline Cherie

HIV patients: Marijuana eases foot pain
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:30:46 am »
SAN FRANCISCO - Smoking marijuana eased        HIV-related pain in some patients in a small study that nevertheless represented one of the few rigorous attempts to find out if the drug has medicinal benefits.

The Bush administration's Office of National Drug Control Policy quickly sought to shoot holes in the experiment.

The study, conducted at San Francisco General Hospital from 2003 to 2005 and published Monday in the journal Neurology, involved 50 patients suffering from HIV-related foot pain known as peripheral neuropathy. There are no drugs specifically approved to treat that kind of pain.

Three times daily for nearly a week, the patients smoked marijuana cigarettes machine-rolled at the National Institute of Drug Abuse, the only legal source for the drug recognized by the federal government.

Half the patients received marijuana, while the other 25 received placebo cigarettes that lacked the drug's active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol. Scientists said the study was the first one published that used a comparison group, which is generally considered the gold standard for scientific research.

Thirteen patients who received marijuana told doctors their pain eased by at least a third after smoking pot, while only six of those smoking placebos said likewise. The marijuana smokers reported an average pain reduction of 34 percent, double the drop reported by the placebo smokers as measured with a widely accepted pain scale.

"These results provide evidence that there is measurable medical benefit to smoking cannabis for these patients," said Dr. Donald Abrams, the University of California, San Francisco professor who led the study.

Many critics of smoked marijuana agree THC has promise as a painkiller, but they argue the smoke itself is harmful.

"People who smoke marijuana are subject to bacterial infections in the lungs," said David Murray, chief scientist at the Office of National Drug Control Policy. "Is this really what a physician who is treating someone with a compromised immune system wants to prescribe?"

Murray also questioned the statistical relevance of study with just 50 participants in the test.

Dr. Mark Ware, a researcher at McGill University in Montreal conducting similar tests, defended Abrams' study as sound and statistically reliable.

The study is one of the few human tests in a research field nearly devoid of federal funding.

"This is a valid medicine and I want safe access to my medication," said Diana Dodson, a 50-year-old grandmother of five who participated in the test in 2004.

California and 10 other states have passed laws legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes, but the federal government considers it a dangerous drug, like cocaine or heroin. The        U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2005 that state laws do not protect users from the federal ban.

To conduct the test, Abrams needed authorization from eight academic and government agencies, including the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The study cost about $1 million and was paid for by the University of California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research, which has sponsored several smoked marijuana tests.

If it works l say light up!!!
"An adventure may be worn as a muddy spot or it may be worn as a proud insignia.It is the woman wearing it who  makes it one thing or the other."

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: HIV patients: Marijuana eases foot pain
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 03:45:18 am »
Interesting article. I have been saying blaze up for awhile now. But folks just look at me as the Queen of the Green or like I have no brain cells left. I always felt that when it comes to hiv that weed has helped me immensely. I started smoking way before I was infected. But since being infected, weed has helped me to keep an appetite. It has helped to reduce some pain but I still have to take the Elavil with it to totally knock out the pain.

Maybe this will open up other avenues for legal medicinal weed in other states. At least someone thinks weed can be helpful. You just don't know how sick I am of anti-drug commercials talking about how bad weed is for you. Have the people who come up with the stupid commercials ever hear of crack, cocaine (powder), meth and heroine? Why not make commercials about them, they seem to be doing the most harm. Anyhoo, thanks for the info....

(who appreciates good green)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mjmel

In Yahoo Headlines: HIV Patients: Marijuana eases foot pain
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 05:05:45 am »
While sipping my morning coffee I noted this headline and thought it would make nice reading.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070212/ap_on_he_me/medical_marijuana

Disclaimer: No one here is recommending the use of illegal substances. Oh No!
God forbid we would ease your pain and discomfort.
tsk.......tsk........tsk......Sarcasm so early in the morning! Forgive my ugly ways.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 05:09:37 am by mjmel »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: In Yahoo Headlines: HIV Patients: Marijuana eases foot pain
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:10:27 am »
Well good morning to ya mm. But you're a little late on this topic, I believe a thread was started on this in Living With. I'm too sleepy to repost my thoughts...There's nothing more refreshing than a cup of sarcasm in the morning....Have a good one....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline mjmel

Re: In Yahoo Headlines: HIV Patients: Marijuana eases foot pain
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:22:12 am »
Yes, I see that now. Sorry for the repetition, everyone.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: The latest on PN and Medical Marijuana
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:28:07 am »
Wow, this makes the 3rd thread about weed and pain in the feet. Hmm, I wonder what will become of this or will the anti weed naysayers come along and just point the finger to how weed is the downfall of mankind...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 08:40:08 am »
hehehehe.... what a bunch of potheads! :D

I've merged all three threads into one in Living.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Elizabeth

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 12:45:31 pm »
Wow, this makes the 3rd thread about weed and pain in the feet. Hmm, I wonder what will become of this or will the anti weed naysayers come along and just point the finger to how weed is the downfall of mankind...

I don't really think it's so much the weed naysayers as the pharma compaines maniuplating the minds of these people.  After all Marinol, produced by Pharma is perfectly legal.  "Godmade" pot just can't be regulated. It's much too easy to grow.

The whole issue has a wonderful irony from time to time.

Live in a small place.  People know we have HIV.  People also know we smoke pot.  Cops like to bang on our door and invite themselves in every few years....I guess they get bored going after the real problems, like the meth and crack houses around.

Time before last my husband had to do 15 days for simple possession.  He took his meds with him.  He really enjoyed pointing out the little round pill to them and telling them that they were giving him the same stuff he was in there for. 

It's all about the profit.  As long as pharma makes a profit and the government can't figure out how to regulate and tax pot, it's gonna be illegal.

Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Tim Horn

Re: Peripheral Neuropathy Study Supports Legalizing Medical Marijuana
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 02:36:49 pm »
For what it's worth, here's my AIDSmeds.com article on the subject:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1667_11275.shtml

Tim Horn

Offline Maestro

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 02:51:46 pm »
My Uncle was taking marinol (not sure if he still does) but said it did not help the PN...sure made him hungry though......

M

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 03:10:51 pm »
weed illegal and cigs legal,go figure.
I guess we didnt learn anything from alcohol prohibition. Government regs create black markets,and crime.
Make all drugs legal. We save billions in the war on drugs and we make billions in taxes. Its a win/win.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 03:55:50 pm »
Like Maestro's uncle, I was taking Marinol to kickstart my appetite for awhile and noticed no change in PN symptoms.  Course the Marinol didn't seem to provide the same effects I used to get from mother natures version when I used it either :).  But it did get the appetite going alright.

Also, I happened to be seeing my ID doc this morning and while we talked about PN, she said there was nothing she could prescribe for the numbness,  but if it was painfull, there was something she could prescribe.  Since I don't really have any pain, I didn't ask here what she would prescribe, but it sounds like there might be something out there that could help those who do have pain associated with PN.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 07:36:23 pm »
Hello Robert,

Thanks for the article. I also read a similar article this morning from Medscape. Heck, it's been years since I smoked grass.Never did like the stuff. Never did marinol either. I also just deal with the PN, for now. Like yourself, most of the time it is somewhat tolerable, other days can be more intense. Waiting to see what results if any may come from the study I am on. Capsaicin patches to go on early next week.

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 07:45:30 pm »
"Heck, it's been years since I smoked grass. Never did like the stuff."
Ditto! Makes me forget my name. sheesshhh!

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 09:11:57 pm »
I have PN really bad. I just quit smoking this past May and gained 20 lbs....If I started smoking DOPE, I'd gain 50 lbs and prolly die of a heart attack. What's a man to do?
Positive since 1985

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 04:16:59 am »
hehehehe.... what a bunch of potheads! :D

I've merged all three threads into one in Living.

Ann

And you see who posted the most, yours truly. I am now officially "The Queen of Green". Pothead extrodinaire!

mjmel, Don't worry sweetie, I will smoke for you and JeffreyJ, not a problem! I will admit I have burned out a few brain cells I'm sure. But since I have learned that you can get a lil foggy from hiv, I just say I have a selective memory, I remember what I want or need to.... ;)

Tucson, I tried Marinol, it did nothing for me. As they say, nothing beats the original. I even had the cops pull me over one time because they smelled weed coming from my car. Blunt in the ashtray, there goes probable cause to search the ride. You know what he did? He took my blunt then insulted me by saying he smoked better. Ugh! I couldn't say what I wanted to or he would've dragged me off to jail....And I sure did not have any get out jail card!
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
Re: HIV patients: Marijuana eases foot pain
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 07:28:50 pm »
I always felt that when it comes to hiv that weed has helped me immensely. I started smoking way before I was infected. But since being infected, weed has helped me to keep an appetite. It has helped to reduce some pain but I still have to take the Elavil with it to totally knock out the pain.

Maybe this will open up other avenues for legal medicinal weed in other states. At least someone thinks weed can be helpful. You just don't know how sick I am of anti-drug commercials talking about how bad weed is for you. Have the people who come up with the stupid commercials ever hear of crack, cocaine (powder), meth and heroine? Why not make commercials about them, they seem to be doing the most harm. Anyhoo, thanks for the info....

(who appreciates good green)

Word!
it really works wonders even when opiates fail me and pain breaks through. ganja to the rescue!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 07:30:34 pm by antibody »
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Pippet

• Life is drawing without an eraser.
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 08:15:27 pm »
It strikes me as funny that they are so quick to point out any "flaw" in studies supporting the use of marijuana.   Have they completely forgotten the ridiculous campains and government funded studies they used to make weed illegal?

It's all REEFER MADNESS!

8)
Diagnosed Aug. 2006
CD4 246, VL 202,000
Started Truvada/ Viramune 11-23-06
Taken off meds 12-06-06 (Bad Rash)
Started Truvada/ Reyataz, Norvir 1-18-07
Taken off Norvir 3-1-07 (Jaundice)
New doc 3-22-07
CD4 229  VL 1031
My latest cocktail...  Truvada and Kaletra (4-6-07)
CD4 289 VL 350 (5-15-07)
CD4 308 VL 115 (8-06-07)
CD4 349 VL 511 (11-5-07)
CD4 489 VL 383 (2-4-08)
CD4 483 VL <50 (5-6-08) YEAH
CD4 545 VL 108 (9-12-08)
CD4 409 VL <48 (1-27-09) YEAH
CD4 505 VL <48 (5-20-09)
CD4 385 VL <48 (9-15-09)
CD4 609 VL  159 (2-28-10)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 02:40:34 am »
It's all REEFER MADNESS! 

I say give me the reefer madness! There's only so much I'm going to do...smoke, eat, be chatty online, eat, smoke some more, be horny, and go to sleep..Not neccsarily in that order. ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 08:00:35 am »
And on the flip side of the coin...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pulmonary/SmokingCOPD/dh/5060

Marijuana Linked to Respiratory Complications

By Michael Smith, Senior Staff Writer, MedPage Today
Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
February 14, 2007

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Feb. 14 -- "In the long run, smoking marijuana has many of the same effects as smoking cigarettes, such as coughing and wheezing, according to researchers here.

Note that this review of research shows some effects of long-term use are similar to those seen in tobacco smokers, including an increased risk of coughing and wheezing.
So found a Yale-led team on the basis of a systematic review of 34 studies that evaluated the effect of marijuana smoking on pulmonary function and respiratory complications and bronchodilation, reported Jeanette Tetrault, M.D., and colleagues, in the February issue of Archives of Internal Medicine.

"While there is convincing data on the effects of tobacco smoke on pulmonary clinical outcomes, the effect of marijuana smoke has been poorly understood," Dr. Tetrault said.

To attempt to fill the gap, she and colleagues divided eligible studies into three groups -- challenge studies that experimentally examined airway response to marijuana smoke, studies that looked at changes in pulmonary function associated with long-term use, and studies that looked at respiratory complications associated with long-term use. Some studies fell into more than one category.

All of the 14 studies that looked at respiratory complications found an association with long-term marijuana use, Dr. Tetrault and colleagues found. For example, one large cross-sectional study showed that marijuana smoking, compared with controls, was associated with increased odds of:

Cough (with an odds ratio of 2.00 and a 95% confidence interval from 1.32 to 3.01).
Phlegm (with an odds ratio of 1.89 and a 95% confidence interval from 1.35 to 2.66).
Wheeze (with an odds ratio of 2.98 and a 95% confidence interval from 2.05 to 4.34).
All comparisons were significant at P<0.01.

The researchers found 12 studies that used a laboratory challenge design using various measures including specific airway conductance, forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) peak flow, airway resistance, and change in methacholine- or exercise-induced bronchospasm.

Most of the studies, regardless of the measure used, reported a bronchodilating effect soon after smoking marijuana, the researchers said.

For example, of the seven studies that measured specific airway conductance, six showed increases of between 8% and 48%. Similarly, of the five that measured FEV1, three showed increases of between 0.15 and 0.25 liters and one showed no effect.

On the other hand, one study measured the effect on specific airway conductance of marijuana use over 47 to 59 days and showed a significant (at P<0.001) decrease over baseline, as well as a decrease in FEV1.

Fourteen studies assessed the impact of long-term marijuana use on pulmonary function, Dr. Tetrault and colleagues said, and the results were mixed.

Overall, however, the studies failed to show a clear association between long-term use and changes in the ratio of FEV1 to forced vital capacity (FVC), in the diffusing capacity of the lung for carbon monoxide (DLCO), or in airway hyper-reactivity.

The researchers noted that the study quality varied greatly. Many, for example, failed to account for confounding factors such as tobacco or other inhaled drugs, there was no standard measure for drug exposure, and outcome measures were not standardized.

Nevertheless, they concluded, "this review should alert primary care physicians to the potential adverse health outcomes" associated with using marijuana."

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.