Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:10:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 620
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Drug Resistance Question  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Maestro

Drug Resistance Question
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:33:06 pm »
As some of you have read in the other forums, I am taking care of my HIV + Uncle.  I am new to all of this, so I am loaded with questions.

After almost 7 years of taking Viread, he has had 2 recent episodes of near fatal kidney failure.  The doctor just took him off Viread and instead he is taking Invirase in addition to Kaletra and Ziagen.  His CD4 is in the 140 range, and usually has a low to undetectable viral load (though we are waiting for the latest results).

Should I expect the invirase to work better, the same, or worse? Or is it just a waiting game? 

However, my main question is what I have been reading about Drug Resistance.  Does everyone develop drug resistance at some point?  Is it a majority of those infected?  Or is it just hit and miss? 

If he becomes resistant, are the doctors out of options?

He knows suprisingly little about HIV.  I know that if I was +, I would be right here with you discussing everything and learning as much as possible.  He, on the other hand, doesn't seem interested at all and just trusts whatever the doctor says (which so far has been just fine).

Thanks in Advance

M

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Drug Resistance Question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 11:46:04 am »
Low viral load is not quite good enough, it needs to be consistently undetectable.

Kaletra/Invirase/Ziagen is a strong combination, and since this contains PIs, his CD4 should rise particularly well.

On resistance, provided he is able to keep his viral load under 50, there's no special reasons why he should get resistance and therefore why he can't use this, or a similar combo, for many, many years. However, if  resistance was there in the first place, or has developed while on his old combo, this needs taking into account

Even if he does get/have resistance there are new resistance-beating drugs, plus perhaps the possibility of using older ones, which should still provide effective treatment long-term.

In terms of preventing resistance, taking the drugs reasonably on time and certainly every time is important here.

Hope this helps

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Maestro

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:10:49 pm »
Thanks for the info.

According to my Uncle his cd4 has not risen above 140 for the 7 years he has been positive.  Would a switch to Invirase suddently cause an increase?

Thanks
M

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 06:01:38 pm »
It may
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline kentb

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 03:50:43 pm »
Dear M,

your Uncle is very luck to have you to help care for him.  In case noone has taken the time to tell you lately it is a very unselfish thing you are doing.  For your Uncle I would like to say thank you!

Kent

Offline Maestro

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:26:37 am »
Thanks Kent!  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.