Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:47:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 408
Total: 408

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: feel like im getting sick  (Read 2336 times)

Offline johnnyl

feel like im getting sick
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:48:32 am »
Been on Meds for almost a month now and feeling great.  That is until some one at work decided to come in sick. Before I knew my status really didn't think much of it, bronchitis..coughing up some nasty stuff, but now a little worried..am on azithromiacin, and dapsome, to prevent the OI's .. I have read that once u strt Meds, people get sick, before they get better.. have noticed rash I had on my face , before meds is gone,, cracked sides of mouth gone, and energy levels through the roof... Just feel a little icky, and don't have doc appt til end of August..
Tested Poz May 22nd 2012
CD4      VL            %    6/20/12
4         226000       5
258      800           13    8/23/12
293      <20           17    10/19/12
306      <44           17    12/31/12
398      101           18     2/27/13
607      <20           21     2/28/14

Offline Rockin

Re: feel like im getting sick
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:01:27 pm »
Been on Meds for almost a month now and feeling great.  That is until some one at work decided to come in sick. Before I knew my status really didn't think much of it, bronchitis..coughing up some nasty stuff, but now a little worried..am on azithromiacin, and dapsome, to prevent the OI's .. I have read that once u strt Meds, people get sick, before they get better.. have noticed rash I had on my face , before meds is gone,, cracked sides of mouth gone, and energy levels through the roof... Just feel a little icky, and don't have doc appt til end of August..

Hey Johnny...your CD4 was 4 on your last test in May? Why are you taking so long to do another one? When I started treatment my doctor asked me to do like 3 VL tests or something in less than 6 months to see my progress.

And he also said that if I ever had a fever during the start of treatment to go straight to the hospital.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
I would call my doctor's office if I had that low of a cd4 count and felt any respiratory infection coming on, just to be on the safe side.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:24:18 pm »
I have read that once u strt Meds, people get sick, before they get better.
It's called immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS). what happens is that as HAART destroys the HIV and your immune system recovers (reconstitutes), it may begin to fight other illnesses that you are infected with but which your immune system wasn't fighting off. So yes, sometimes people start meds and get sicker before they get better. This does not happen to everyone by a long shot though; however a very low immune system, like yours at 4, makes it more likely for something like IRIS to happen - if you have other germs floating around in your system.

(I was down to 5 myself back in the day but didn't have any issues like IRIS. For a long time after I started meds, I was very germ-ophobic though. I didn't get above the 200 cd4 mark for 12 yrs so I was always scared of other people's germ. I can't tell you how many times I ran out of grocery stores because of someone coughing, or how many yrs I lived like a hermit afraid to be out in public. best wishes on not getting any germs from your co-workers!)

I'm surprised too that your doctor has not re-checked your labs by now. Usually, and especially with someone with such a comprised immune system as yours was, lab work is done within 4-6 weeks to verify that the meds are actually working.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline johnnyl

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:24 pm »
Rockin...Tested poz May, VIA home acess test..went in and had blood work done, and they only did a vl which at the time was like 175k..(which really pist off my id doc) when I finally got into see id doc, had labs done in June which gave me the grim news on my numbers ..June 25th..  started Meds on June 21st, so doc said that he would see me aug 25th... I am going to ask him to ok lab work, as i am curious to see what these Meds are doing for my system...like i said i feel great and i know they are kicking the shit out of this virus... I was a smoker until now, and this bronchitis was a 3 times a year deal for me. 

Miss p...good advice...going to get an appt.

Leatherman, thanks for the response..I'm hoping this iris is not a bad thing..going to do a little research on that .. and yea ..going to isolate myself when co workers come in sick...
Tested Poz May 22nd 2012
CD4      VL            %    6/20/12
4         226000       5
258      800           13    8/23/12
293      <20           17    10/19/12
306      <44           17    12/31/12
398      101           18     2/27/13
607      <20           21     2/28/14

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.