Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:54:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 390
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: OMG ! ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE , I AM AFRAID !!!! WTF !  (Read 5740 times)

Offline weasel

OMG ! ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE , I AM AFRAID !!!! WTF !
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »
Polycythemia vera  , I have been told I have this !!!!!!
Source :
Federal University of Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil.
Abstract
It has been suggested that HIV plays a role in the generation of myeloproliferative disorders, including polycythemia vera (PV). Seven cases of polycythemia in HIV patients have been described in the literature, but only 3 of these met criteria for determining a primary origin (vera) of polycythemia. We report a case of PV in a patient infected with HIV. A 45 year old non-smoking homosexual male presented with 15.7 g/dl hemoglobin in 1991, and was diagnosed with HIV. After 7 years, he presented with plethora, splenomegaly, an erythrocyte mass of 71 ml/kg, and an oxygen saturation of 93.9% (the latter three constituting the major criteria for the diagnosis of PV). Erythrocytes 7.35 x 10(6)/ml hemoglobin, 21.4 g/dl, hematocrit 63%, leukocytes 12,400, erythropoietin < 5 nmoll/ml. These values are all compatible with a diagnosis of PV. The CD4 count was 321 cells/mm(3) and HIV viral load was undetectable. The patient was initially treated with zidovudine. He was then treated with didanosine, lamivudine, and saquinavir, but all of them failed to slow the increase in erythrocyte levels. After a diagnosis of PV, he was treated with hydroxyurea and phlebotomy, which normalized the hemogram. CD4 count rose to 474 cells/mm(3) and HIV viral load remained at undetectable levels. The patient remains in stable condition with combination treatment after 1 year. We suggest that this is a case of HIV infection which may have led to the emergence of polycythemia vera. Treatment of the HIV did not prevent the appearance of the myeloproliferative disorder.
" Live and let Live "

Offline emeraldize

Re: OMG ! ANY HELP WOULD BE NICE , I AM AFRAID !!!! WTF !
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:40:46 pm »
Hey Weasel,

What has your doctor said to you? What is your prognosis in his/her view?
An abstract doesn't tell me/us what you've been told.

Did you receive this diagnosis today?

Thanks
Em

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
This is a trustworthy source--the NIH. Please read this particularly with regard to treatment, outcome, complications, etc.

See if this information helps. I remain curious what your healthcare provider has told you and what care regimen they outlined for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001615/

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:34:32 pm »
Hi emeraldize,
                   I have several issues .

Itchiness  , drives me nutz !

Breathing : my   o2 level is 91 !!!!!

I do not smoke !!!!!    I was a light smoker , quit   over 30 years ago .

I have a few other issues  going on .

The tumor on my finger  concerns me !!!!!

My liver is killing me !     
I have acute gout .

The blood tests   ALARMED HER !    and I must say me too

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:27 pm »
Carl,

sorry you are having to deal with this!

What did you doctor say were next steps?  Generally, PV is easily treatable and phlebotomy should relieve your symptoms.  It doesn't cure it, but like ARVs and HIV it can help you manage the disease.
Like any diagnosis -- it's important to work through the fear and, I find the best thing for that is to talk about your fears.  Ask your doctor questions and learn what you can.
Also -- use us to help get your fears out.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »
Hi Carl,

While I always appreciate candor from a doc, if all you've walked away with is the residue of her being alarmed, then you need more info from her.

Between the NIH link and what Mike has shared, either with her nurse, or a PA-C, or her directly, you deserve more input.

Being stressed isn't going to help -- but you know that. If you're able to, please call her office tomorrow.

Em

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:23:10 am »
I am sorry as well that you're having to deal with this.  I had only basic info about this condition before.  So, is this the result of a gene mutation, as the NIH link says?  The NIH link was informative.  I had very basic knowledge before reading that. 

Wishing you all the best with this.   

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:56:45 am »
This is a trustworthy source--the NIH. Please read this particularly with regard to treatment, outcome, complications, etc.

See if this information helps. I remain curious what your healthcare provider has told you and what care regimen they outlined for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001615/

Thank you  Em ,
                              This is a good write up .  Now I am more confused !   I was told an MRI or CAT SCAN was needed . The main concern was that I have a tumor somewhere .   I do have a tumor on my finger that they do not seem to care about ?
   I will get more information  . 
  Access  to the clinic   is Tuesday and Wednesday  1 pm to 4 pm . So it will be next week before I can get more info.

After reading this link , I have many questions .  Yes walking away with her ALARMED is unsettling to say the least . 
                                                                           Thanks all ,
                                                                                                 Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:03 am »
Hi Carl , I haven't any useful information to offer except to wish you well and send some calming energy your way ... that's worth a little bit isn't it ?

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline HnyMustard

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 10:41:18 am »
I was told an MRI or CAT SCAN was needed . The main concern was that I have a tumor somewhere .   I do have a tumor on my finger that they do not seem to care about ?

Hey Carl,

I'm sure they just want to do an MRI or CAT scan to make sure nothing else is going on. Once you have it done, usually the results will come quickly. Try to not worry too much in the meantime.. speculation will drive you crazy. I'm sorry you are going through this. Stay strong.

Offline weasel

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:04:47 pm »

Thank you jg1962 & HnyMustard   :-*

I am a little less concerned today ...  May or not be a good thing ?

What I have been reading states I need to " Let Blood "   ?  WHAT !

Then I need to walk and do psychical stuff !

Time to drag out the bicycle and fluff up the tires .

I do have  some issues I have been ignoring .  If you can't fix things then why
 start poking around !   
                                           Hugs from Weasel  ;)
" Live and let Live "

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »
Hey Carl, I've never heard of this condition but just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and sending good thoughts your way. Hang in there buddy

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline karry

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 10:06:20 am »
Hi Carl
I have little to offer of advice except positive thoughts and energy your way. I hope by your next visit, you will receive more information about the care you need and I hope everything will be okay with you.
Hugs to you
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
Oh bollocks Carl I am sorry you are going this, anyway good thoughts to you no

THE BEST OF THE BEST TO YOU.

keep us posted
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 11:04:07 am »

Hey Carl,

Sorry to hear that you are going through this.  I can understand how stressful this must be.  Is the CAT scan and MRI already scheduled for next week? 

I'm sending positive vibes your way and including you in my prayers.  I hope you receive some answers to this soon.  Please keep us updated.

Tommy
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 03:21:02 pm »
Hope you had a good day Carl.
michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.