Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:28:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 525
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Being of disability and it not being enough.  (Read 4353 times)

Offline LiveWithIt

Being of disability and it not being enough.
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:18:25 pm »
I am on SSD, but what I get covers only rent, electric in the winter, and internet bill/basic cable bill.  I have savings for the time being.  I qualify for Medicare and I am considered under the federal poverty level and my copays are paid for.  I only have to pay $6.50 per prescription, but by April or May I get most meds free. 

Does anyone know what kind of work I can find off the books, under the table, even part time to help supplement my living?  I'd hate to apply somewhere and then when then have to ask if they would be willing to pay off the books,  I know many places won't at all. 

Or do you know of any housing programs that might help?  I looked into section 8  online, but they are not even taking applications.  I like where I am living now, and I don't really want to move, but I may have to.  I don't think my Landlord would even accept section 8 because they might make her have to accept it for any future tenants moving in I would guess. 

The labor market in Florida is tight, my friend has a college degree, also HIV poz and he can't even get  $12 an hour job.  When he was looking I thought it was for a $50K job. 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline mikeyb39

Re: Being of disability and it not being enough.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:48:22 pm »
Whats your disability?  if you can work 'under the table', then I would think that would take away being disabled.  Is you disability due to something else other than just being HIV positive?
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:58:01 pm »
please don't take my question as being mean or rude, i was just asking for background information, not trying to be condescending
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »
please don't take my question as being mean or rude, i was just asking for background information, not trying to be condescending

It's mean, rude, condescending and none of your business. 
Pray God you can cope

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:49:52 pm »
Jobs that can often be off the books includes restaurant work (mom and pop), gardening, dog walking, and house cleaning. Etc.

I have an uncle who chauffers people to airports, off the books.

If you have any skills that you can freelance, you might get away with under the table work. Make a list of any skills that you have that could be lucrative and discuss with people in your environment for more ideas, contacts, or jobs.

Be careful of course.  Don't lose essential income sources.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »
Jobs that can often be off the books includes restaurant work (mom and pop), gardening, dog walking, and house cleaning. Etc.

I have an uncle who chauffers people to airports, off the books.

If you have any skills that you can freelance, you might get away with under the table work. Make a list of any skills that you have that could be lucrative and discuss with people in your environment for more ideas, contacts, or jobs.

Be careful of course.  Don't lose essential income sources.

Cool, thanks for the info.
Pray God you can cope

Offline surf18

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:08 pm »
no i don't think mikes question was rude. i think it was perfectly fair question in the context of the op original question.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »
Cool, thanks for the info.

You might wanna contact your local ASO, if funding is available, and you meet the income requirements, they may have a program to help you with your Rent, also, there's HOPWA, if they still even have this ( it pays your rent) I forget the amount tho, and don't give up on SEC 8, when you can at least fill out the app.......Good Luck  ;)

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/comm_planning/aidshousing/programs
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:28:18 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »
You might wanna contact your local ASO, if funding is available, and you meet the income requirements, they may have a program to help you with your Rent, also, there's HOPWA, if they still even have this ( it pays your rent) I forget the amount tho, and don't give up on SEC 8, when you can at least fill out the app.......Good Luck  ;)

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/comm_planning/aidshousing/programs

Thanks, I will have to look into some of those,  I've heard of HOPWA, and I would think some have long waiting lists or no funding left, but the sooner I get my name on the better. 
Pray God you can cope

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »

Thanks, I will have to look into some of those,  I've heard of HOPWA, and I would think some have long waiting lists or no funding left, but the sooner I get my name on the better.

and don't forget your local ASO, not sure about Florida, that's kinda a very tricky place to live with AIDS, from what I'm told, perhaps others will chime-in with more info about your State..............good luck to ya  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:36 am »
At the ASO where I am employed, there is HOPWA.  There is also, as guessed, long waiting lists.  But we continually accept names on the wait list because some people move out of state, etc., so their names come off and the other names move up.  It's worth it.

Also, here's a link to working while on disability.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/2010/guide-employment-supports.htm
Sorry, here is a more updated link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/eng/The%20Red%20Book%202012.(F).pdf
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:49:05 am by BT65 »
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:34 am »

I lived in Miami for 37 years, so I know how tough it can be living there with rent being sky high.  Get with your ASO as the others have mentioned and get your name on the HOPWA list ASAP.  I use to be in the bakery business down there and some of the smaller operations will pay under the table. 

It can be tricky asking an employer to do so though..  I hope something works out for you.

Skeebo
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »
I lived in Miami for 37 years, so I know how tough it can be living there with rent being sky high.  Get with your ASO as the others have mentioned and get your name on the HOPWA list ASAP.  I use to be in the bakery business down there and some of the smaller operations will pay under the table. 

It can be tricky asking an employer to do so though..  I hope something works out for you.

Skeebo

I'm in Broward, and the rents are pretty reasonable when compared to where I grew up in the Northeast.  Thanks for the advice.
Pray God you can cope

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »
At the ASO where I am employed, there is HOPWA.  There is also, as guessed, long waiting lists.  But we continually accept names on the wait list because some people move out of state, etc., so their names come off and the other names move up.  It's worth it.

Also, here's a link to working while on disability.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/2010/guide-employment-supports.htm
Sorry, here is a more updated link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/eng/The%20Red%20Book%202012.(F).pdf

Thanks
Pray God you can cope

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:46 pm »
Thanks

Here is the latest FPL as of 2012, for those of you with a pdf. reader

http://coverageforall.org/pdf/FHCE_FedPovertyLevel.pdf

2012 Federal Poverty Level
The benefit levels of many low-income assistance programs are based on these poverty guidelines. Find your family size and monthly or yearly income below to determine your FPL percentage category.
Note: Pregnant women count as two people for the purpose of this chart.
48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
% Gross Yearly & Monthly Income

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 04:29:31 pm »
Here is the latest FPL as of 2012, for those of you with a pdf. reader

Thanks, good to know. 
Pray God you can cope

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.