Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:53:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: No more "gay" priests?!  (Read 2766 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
No more "gay" priests?!
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »
I guess priests aren't supposed to practice any sexuality.  But if I understand this article correctly, it now becomes increasingly difficult to be ordained if one has a gay orientation.

I guess the church brings this on itself with all the child abusers and child abuse cover ups.

But its a pity that the good "gay" potential priests will now suffer job discrimmination or never get to become priests at all.

And it seems to make an easy connection between child abuser = gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/31/nyregion/31gay.html?src=me&ref=general

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: No more "gay" priests?!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 11:07:36 pm »
Yep, the vatican, et al, is at it again.

Here are two interesting tidbits:

?But it has to do with our view of marriage,? he said. ?A priest can only give his life to the church in the sense that a man gives his life to a female spouse. A homosexual man cannot have the same relationship. It?s not about condemning anybody. It?s about our world view.?

So, the catholic church is now demonizing not just gay priests and gay men who want to be priests or brothers, but also those who have failed romances and those with HIV?

?But it has to do with our view of marriage,? he said. ?A priest can only give his life to the church in the sense that a man gives his life to a female spouse. A homosexual man cannot have the same relationship. It?s not about condemning anybody. It?s about our world view.

My question would be, why would a gay man, lesbian woman, transgendered person or a bisexual, trust anyone in the catholic church to treat them decently if the recruitment is this bastardized?

UGH,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:10:11 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 11:40:28 pm »
Given that the Church considers homosexuality a grave moral failing this news seems unsurprising. In fact I thought the Church had enacted a prohibition on known sodomites in the ranks a couple of years back.

Also, I'm sorry to tell you Mecch, that it most likely applies to these chaps too:

Which is a shame. I think you'd make a nifty Swiss Guard. Certainly the uniform is very you.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:05 pm »
My question would be, why would a gay man, lesbian woman, transgendered person or a bisexual, trust anyone in the catholic church to treat them decently...
well exactly! ::)

for a religion (like my old fundamental baptist one too) that believes that homosexuality is morally unacceptable (ie a "sin") why anyone would want to be a member of such a organization, much less a "leader" in said organization, is totally beyond me.

Gays in Protestant or Catholic (Muslim, Mormon, etc) churches are just as dingy as gays in the Republican party. All of those organizations denounce homosexuality, so no one should be surprised when those orgs don't promote any homosexual "rights" or when they directly attack homosexuals.

It's what they do, it's who they are, it's what they believe. Doh!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:29 am »
I've always thought how the media uses the term gay priests when talking about the sex abuse.  I suppose if the boys were like 16 and 17, then I don't consider that the same as molesting a young boy.  It is still a betrayal of trust.  When they molest young boys who haven't gone through puberty yet, that definitely isn't gay but pedophiles.  Big difference and I don't like when they are called gay.

If I were a good priest today, I would always feel people were suspicious of me.  I would also be sure to never be alone with a young boy.  From all the things I've read, this has been going on for centuries. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 05:33:26 am »
And as for the Swiss Guard, the murders a couple of years ago are still swimming in "gay secrets" rumours.  Last year's "vatican rentboys" scandal seems to have died down - a pity because I was looking forward to the "Dei della Basilica" hot calendar.  

Sinead O'Connor started fighting child abuse in the Catholic church in Ireland years ago.  Recently on TV she said she'd be damned if she stopped being Catholic over it, since to her its about her faith in God. She thought the church leadership needed to wake up, be good, and change their ways.  (Hey last time I heard she was a harikrishna! must have been the early 90's!)

These are centuries old questions in established religions.  Is my relationship with god mitigated by my church.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I thought about the Catholic church as a quaint relic of my childhood and mixed bag of values in the modern world. My leftist politics made me want to despise it, but I couldn't bring myself to that.  I remember Warhol had said he loved going to church because it was a glamorous and pretty place, all those rituals and costumes, etc etc.  I kind of agreed.

Then more and more child abuse scandals came out and more and more filth about the corruption and downright evil way the church protects itself and I though the "church" had to go.

Now I do like Sinead's hypothesis. If you have faith - reclaim the way your church practices on behalf of your faith.

That's why it seems progressive to advocate for the rights of gays to become priests - its a vast organisation and therefore potentially a correct "employer" for a career in service of god and the community.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 05:48:56 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:11:51 am »
They can always become flight attendants.

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:14:51 am »
I wonder how many 'applicants' are actually ever refused when such small numbers of men show any interest in joining the seminary in the first place.

Sounds more like an attempt from the church to distract attention from the real problem - paedophile priests. In the US alone there have been something like 7 - 8,000 child sex abuse claims in roughly the last 20 years (i think the global figure is put at about 30,000 allegations over the last 20 years). Studies have found that about 80% of the allegations are credible.

Why anyone, gay/straight/male/female/boy/girl would want to associate in any way with such an organisation is beyond me.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:11:51 am »
Sinead O'Connor wrote an article about the Catholic paedophile scandal this past March and was also interviewed for CNN. Click here for the article and click here to watch the video.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »
...When they molest young boys who haven't gone through puberty yet, that definitely isn't gay but pedophiles.  

Absolutely. It's about the rape and molestation of children! But the reactionaries who run the Vatican had a simple (internal) thesis. "Since gays molest boys then lets not have so many gays; besides, it's those liberal American Catholics who caused the whole permissive sexual thing and brought these scandals upon our Holy Church"....But the glaring problem with that theory is the most cherished bastions of conservative Catholicism have had their own doings exposed, especially recently. Think: Ireland and Mexico, for two.

It's 2010. Why should any of us make a painful effort to defend the "right" of Catholic gays (i've known a handful of gay priests) to join a priesthood that publicly teaches "homosexuality is intrinsically evil" when that teaching dehumanizes humans everywhere? No more shilling for hatred! Let progressive Catholics join an existing order (like parts of the Anglican church) or form a new order, based on the divinity and worth of each human being. Which is more important, a gay man's chance to join a priesthood, or one less young Catholic person (usually male) committing suicide due to panic over conflicted (gay) sexuality?

Time for criminal prosecutions of all those that cover up crimes against children! It starts at the top---it is truly evil. I won't hold my breath.

-Steven (aka  8)  megasept)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:03:29 pm by megasept »

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 03:36:33 pm »
The church was never what it seemed and there will sex by priest, upon priest, and the same with nuns.  The only thing that will change is that they do not want obviously gay priest or nuns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.