Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:11:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HELP! im so paranoid  (Read 12823 times)

Offline paranoid_boy

HELP! im so paranoid
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:44 am »
Here is my story. I was engaged in unprotected vaginal sex last march. I think that was last week of march. And a few weeks have past i dont experience any symtoms. assuming I dont get any STD's but after 2 weeks I experience a burning senstation when I urinate and that makes me freak out. So I went to the doctor and he gave me some antibiotic regarding of the burining sensation I feel. I also ask to the doctor if this is std's like gonorrhea or chlamydia why i experiencing it late not days before after the exposure??? and the doctor said it might be some king of a low level bacteria or my body had a high resistance to them that is why i experiencing it late. So i also ask the doctor, it might be UTI am i experiencing? and the doctor said no because I engaged in unprotected sex so the doctor assume it might be std's not Uti without prior testing. And the doc also said to come back after 3 months because he might be test me for hiv status which makes me freak out and paranoid everday. My question is can I get positve test regarding to the incident? I so stress right now regarding to this kind of stuff. Is there any other way can i get my result earlier? like can i do blood test now? regarding 1 month had already past on my last exposure. I so freak out. help me andy, ann

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: HELP! im so paranoid
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 12:24:49 am »
Yes it is possible to get HIV from having unprotected vaginal sex and you do need to test in 2 months time. Your doctor was correct, the window period for HIV testing is 3 months.

It's unlikely that you have contracted HIV from this single sexual encounter, however. HIV is a fragile virus which is difficult to transmit from woman to man.

Nevertheless you do need to have that HIV test in 2 months time.

MtD

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:17:45 am »
thanks for the reply. So this Hiv virus is diffuclt to transmit from woman to man in a sexual intercourse? So in short i am likely in to 50% 50% chance of not getting infected because I am a male? And one more thing is it accurate if I get hiv testing now will that be enough for the accuracy? because I really want to know the result as soon as possible. this incident makes my world go crazy.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:23:33 am »
We don't give specific odds like 50/50 here. All I can tell you is that you need to test, but it's most likely you'll test negative. The window period is three months and so you need to test at 3 months, like your doctor told you. There's no easy way around that, I'm afraid.

If you like you can test at 6 weeks, as most people who will test positive do so by the 6 week mark. But a negative result at 6 weeks must be confirmed at 12 weeks.

In future wear condoms when you have anal or vaginal sex and you won't need to worry at all.

MtD

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:43:31 am »
thanks matt for the reply again.. So how can u say my test will most likely negative? So you think I have a low risk in just one sexual intercourse?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:02:59 am »
Because 25 years of peer reviewed science has shown us that 1 incident of unprotected vaginal sex is very, very unlikely to lead to infection.

So yes, it's a low risk situation.

People who contract HIV almost always have a history of having lots of unprotected anal or vaginal sex. This isn't a judgment simply an observation made on a reading of the available data.

So to sum up. I don't think you will have been infected from this single episode of unprotected vaginal sex, but I can't be sure so you need to be tested as your doctor advised. Nevertheless, if you don't start using condoms and water based lubricant when you have anal or vaginal sex you will one day contract HIV.

So start practicing safer sex. As Ann notes, it really is that simple.

MtD

/edited to correct a small typo/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 09:37:14 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:52:36 pm »
oh i see... and what if she is hiv pos? is there a chance that I will not be infected because it is just one sexual intercourse? is that a low risk? thanks for the reply..

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:08:42 pm »
Since we cannot know a persons HIV status under the circumstances you indicate, we presume she is positive and test on that basis. With this in mind, the risk is still low.

MtD

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:16 pm »
we presume she is pos and the risk is still low? how come? I really dont get it. can u explain why is that so? thank you very much matty..

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 01:10:34 am »
If she is HIV negative then there is no risk.

You had unprotected sex with someone and you don't know her HIV status. In all likelihood she was negative. Most people are. But HIV is a serious disease and we must err on the side of caution.

Therefore, given that we don't know her status, we assume she is HIV positive and you get tested. Even if she is HIV positive the chances of you being infected from this single episode of unprotected sex is quite low because as I said earlier, HIV is difficult to transmit, especially through unprotected vaginal sex.

Low risk is not the same as no risk so you must be tested at the 3 month mark.

MtD

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:22:16 am »
hey matty I just convinced the girl i had a intercourse with to get a hiv test. The labaratory did elicia blood test. Is this accurate for Hiv infected?? So after days of waiting the test came out negative.. What I am worrying about is that she might be in the window period and that is why the test came out negative? what do you think is the chance that i am still infected?? The paranoid had subside but still im paranoid that i might infected with the virus

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:46:55 am »
i need your reply people.. my anxiety had subside but still i dont have the peace of mind.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 04:51:49 am »
para,

You've already been told that even if she is hiv positive, it's unlikely you would have been infected from a one-time incident.

It's unlikely she's positive, but you can only know your own hiv status through testing yourself. That's the way it goes - you have unprotected intercourse, you need to test. Simple as that.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 04:56:47 am »
so even though she is tested negative.. I still have the chance to get infected?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:05 am »
para,

As you said yourself, you don't know if she's tested three months past her last incident of unprotected intercourse.

Is this your first incident of unprotected intercourse? If not, have you tested before? Because if the answer to those two questions is NO, then for all you know, you might already be infected yourself.

I'll say it one more time, your chance of being infected from this one-time insertive incident is very low even if she is hiv positive. However, the ONLY way of knowing your hiv status is through testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 12:24:03 am »
nope,this is not my first time to have unprotected intercourse, but I only do that  to my ex girlfriend which was i am sure she is not infected. The only first time I do the unprotected  is  to a girl who I dont even know her Hiv status.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 04:40:49 am »
paranoid,

Once again, the ONLY way to know your hiv status is through testing. As you have had unprotected intercourse, you have been at risk. Go test and get it over with.

You will not be permitted to use this forum as a place to speculate about your status. Test and report your results or don't bother posting again.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 11:30:23 pm »
its already been six weeks since the exposure? can i get the test right now? is the test accurate if I will be get tested? and what is the conclusive test for Hiv? elicia?? any suggestion? thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 06:12:07 am »
paranoid,

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks and a six week negative result is unlikely to change. However, only a three month test is conclusive. If you test negative at six weeks, you'll have to test again at three months.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 04:17:52 am »
7 weeks since the exposure and i am tested negative. Do I need to worry that I might become pos in the near few more weeks? help people

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 07:29:58 am »
I have one question. how long does the hiv test run? because I recieve my hiv result after 3 hours after I do testing for hiv. do you think it was too short? Is this conclusive? or maybe a falsely negative? I need your opinions people.. thanx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 07:41:30 am »
paranoid,

Re-read your thread. Most of your questions have already been answered. A seven week negative is unlikely to change, but as you have had a risk, you MUST confirm that result at the end of the three month window period.

Rapid test only take twenty minutes to give a result, so no, three hours is not too quick.

Although your result is not conclusive as it was not done at the three month point, it is unlikely to be a false negative.

Your result is unlikely to change but you MUST confirm it at the three month point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 12:04:48 am »
Ann, I have a question. uhmm... If I ejaculated while having intercourse and Im wearing a condom and the condom broke?? Can I be infected with the virus? I am worried what if the condom broke while ejaculating? thanks for the answer

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 12:15:12 am »
Whether you ejaculate or not is irrelevant to your being infected. All that matters is that the condom broke and you need to have your 7 week negative confirmed at 13 weeks.

MtD

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 04:16:30 am »
uhmm.. can I turn positive in 13 weeks of time even though I was tested negative in 7 weeks? Does this really happen to people who was tested at negative at 7 weeks and turn positive in 13 weeks of time? thanks for your opinions..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 04:21:03 am »
Paranoid,

You've been repeatedly told that your seven week negative is unlikely to change. If you keep coming back to ask the same question, I'll give you a time out.

I suggest you log off the internet and go get productively busy. The time until your three month test will pass much more quickly that way.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 04:37:12 am »
why is that so? I really dont get it? why is that 7 weeks of negative test is unlikely to change? can u explain to me more clearly? sorry for the repeated question.. I just needed to clarify things just to ease my mind.. thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:50:07 am »
Paranoid,

It's already been explained to you, but I'll try one more time.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seronconvert and test positive by SIX weeks. The window period currently remains at three months to catch the RARE person who takes a little longer than six weeks to seroconvert.

I do not expect your result to change. Furthermore, I've yet to see a person posting in these forums who had a six week or more negative go on to test positive.

Now go get busy with something other than the internet and hiv websites.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 05:44:04 am »
Ann, so after 13 weeks of waiting what test should I get is it elicia or just the quick test for hiv? does the two test give a accurate result? because I had a doubt that the quick test can give a falsely negative.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 05:45:24 am »
Your doubts are incorrect. Rapid tests are FDA approved and very reliable.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 07:22:34 am »
Paranoid,

The rapid tests ARE ELISAs. And as Rod says, they are FDA approved and reliable.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:06 pm »
ann, rapidrod, had u seen someone in this forum that tested negative at 6 weeks of time and become positive at the end of the window period? I'm so worried that I'm a late seroconverting. because I feel so sick this days like had flu, headache, sore throat and sometimes a fever. I hope no one had turn pos after testing negative at a 6 weeks of time.  ???

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 08:52:33 pm »
We never seen someone test negative at 6 weeks and then go on to seroconvert by the 13 week mark. You are not a late seroconverter and like the others I expect you test negative at the close of the window period.

Now really it's time you started acting like an adult. If you feel ill, see your doctor. Stop whining and moaning and start taking Ann's advice -- go out and do something productive.

MtD

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 09:49:56 pm »
matty, thank you very much for that comment. I'm just scared that I'm might be late seroconverting, but for that comment it clears my mind and make me feel better. But I am just curious why do people need to test at 13weeks of time when you guys advise that 6 weeks of negative test is unlikely to change?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 10:01:09 pm »
All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. The average time to seroconversion is actually 22 days.

Testing at 13 weeks is just to make certain that the very low possibility of seroconversion 6 weeks is considered. And 13 weeks is the recommended testing point by the CDC.
Andy Velez

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 10:19:23 pm »
Andy, So it is true that 6 weeks of negative test is unlikely to change? and I am not a late seroconveter? By the way what is CDC??

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 10:22:13 pm »
Paranoid,

How many times do you have to be told? Too many it would seem.

Yesterday Ann told you:

You've been repeatedly told that your seven week negative is unlikely to change. If you keep coming back to ask the same question, I'll give you a time out.

You really need to take notice of that warning.

For the record the CDC is the US Centers for Disease Control.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 05:07:14 am »
Paranoid,

The people who MIGHT seroconvert late are those on chemotherapy for cancer, anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or those who have been injecting street drugs, every day, for years.

I don't expect to see you posting again until you report your conclusive three month negative result.

That's right, I do NOT expect your result to change and neither should you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 04:57:14 am »
what are the symptoms of ARS?? ??? feeling so sick couple of days with sore throat, colds and a fever. I might be seroconverting...  ??? sorry to bother u guys again I am just afraid that I might be seroconverting now a days and i just cant wait till the end of the window period to get tested again... because the symtoms is freaking me out...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 05:05:49 am »
Paranoid,

You should know by now that we do not discuss symptoms here. They are meaningless when it comes hiv.

Once again, having a cold does not change the fact that your seven week negative is not going to change.

I'm giving you that time out I've warned you about. It will last fourteen days. Do not create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:48 pm »
hey people! Its been a long time since I have not log in to this website. The 13 weeks mark of time had already pass, but still I am scared to test. Because Im scared that my 7weeks negative will turn it to be pos. By the way, I put myself again to an encounter with a sw, but now I use a protection for vaginal intercourse. To tell the truth, I am still freaking out even though i use a condom because she lick my dick or should I say she gave me a blowjob without condom but only a matter of seconds not actuall y an oral sex and now I am scared that I might get some std or some skin disease. And now I think my body is itching. I dont know if this is only my pschological effect or I am just being paranoid again because of the incident.  ???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 04:45:59 am »
boy,

Gather your cajones and go test. Your seven week negative is not going to change.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to wring your hands over the fact that you're too scared to get your confirmatory test. Just do it and get it over with.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline paranoid_boy

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 05:45:25 am »
helow ann uhmm as for my second incident. can I get any diseases there? even though i uses condom? but she lick my dick without a protection? Am I at risk??  ???

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 06:09:21 am »
Other sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia are more prevalent and infectious than HIV and can be transmitted via unprotected oral sex.

It's very unlikely that simply having your dick licked would transmit one of these but you would be wise to be tested for them. Ask your doctor to arrange a full STD screen.

That said we only deal with HIV here and you won't be allowed to use this thread obsess about other STDs. I have answered your question regarding other STDs, please don't raise the matter again or I will be forced to report you to the Moderators.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.