Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:01:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773276
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 295
Total: 296

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In which I say hello!  (Read 5365 times)

Offline pioneer II

In which I say hello!
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:13:35 am »
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself and tell my story. I do that because I've been reading these forums for a while and people's testimonials helped me to defeat my fears. I hope I can help out with this.

I'm 35yo, my partner is 40 and we live a happy life together. Both + and taking the same meds.

My husband and I had already lived together for 3 years and it ended up with a big fight in the middle of 2012. He moved in with his sister and I moved on with my life. After a while, I called him for his birthday (10/9) and his sister told me he was in hospital with pneumonia. I have never had any contact with HIV or its effects, as I was "HIV-" all my life. So I still didn't get it then... I went over to see him.

What I saw was shocking: he wasted more than 20 pounds, had his tongue snow white by moniliasis, herpes both on lips and genitals, HPV and near constant fever.

His family turned their backs to him and that made me realize that, without my help, he coudn't make it. I decided that, no matter what, I would help him out.

Despite we had ended things up in a very bad way, I still loved him and so did he about me. I took him from the hospital straight to my house. I would nurse him, so I took a month out of work (I thank God I could do this). And he was getting worse and worse. So I said straight: did you get HIV tested? He said "no! and I won't...". I saw fear in his eyes. At that point I took him back to hospital even against his will. He had no more strenght to prevent me from doing so. He then accepted to get tested because I was by his side and he felt that he was gonna die anyway. I got tested too. No suprises when the results came back positive... he cried like a baby. I couldn't because I was the last man standing and had to resist till the end.

Since we knew what we had, we could fight together! After being released from this second time in hospital, he had no more PCP, was on Bactrim & Aciclovir and we started to do our bloodwork. He had CD4=3 (!) and VL = 566k. I had CD4=485 and VL=38k. He started with Kaletra and Truvada. 1 more week and fever appears again: he had IRIS. Back to hospital, this 3rd time for 15 days straight. Every test he did came negative: CMV, TB, HCV, HCB and the like. Doctor treated him blindly for Mycobacterium avium, withdrew his meds for 3 days and bingo! Fever was gone forever. Back home, he gained weight quick. He's now UD and CD4=168, still on Bactrim but 25 pounds heavier and no symptoms of anything wrong.

Last week I started with the meds, less than 1 year after him. I was with CD4=247 and VL=80k, my doctor told me it was the best time to start. First week, first nausea but feeling great already.

For those who are affraid: don't be! The meds won't hurt! I feel much better now. Besides a little bitter taste in the back of my mouth, I have just a few minor nausea, no diarrhea. I hope it gets even better, because I feel so much more energy now, my sight has become much sharper too! It's worth it!

I'll keep you posted as soon as I get our new bloodwork in a couple of months. Wish us luck!
Life is rough with or without hiv. Enjoy it likewise.

Offline ratcat

Re: In which I say hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:41 pm »
Wow, it's amazing that your bf has regained his health after neglecting it for so long...he's lucky...and it's a good thing that you got yourselves tested just in time...really close call.  Great story...thanks.

Offline britchick

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »
Pioneer11,

Thankyou so much for telling us your story.yes , it really does help others.Best wishes to both of you.

((((((((This post made my day))))))))

britchickx

Offline Peterdenmark

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:33:34 pm »
Pioneer11,

Thankyou so much for telling us your story.yes , it really does help others.Best wishes to both of you.

britchickx
+1

Offline Basquo

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:52:37 pm »
Good for you on putting your foot down and getting him to hospital! Sounds like you saved his life and took steps for your own health as well.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:43 pm »
Thanks for sharing this.  I am glad to hear he is doing so much better.  I am not sure whether he had warning signs, but I know many can feel just fine and then, bam! 

Since he didn't test until after his first hospital admission, I'm assuming his family just abandoned him on the presumption he was probably HIV poz?  How sad.  It is good you guys have each other.  It was great you were able to take off so much time, as many don't have that option. 

All the best to both of you, and do keep in touch.

Ted

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:03 am »
He was very lucky to have you at his side, I'm glad he is much better, but don't forget to look after yourself as well.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline pioneer II

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:40:26 am »
Wow, it's amazing that your bf has regained his health after neglecting it for so long...he's lucky...and it's a good thing that you got yourselves tested just in time...really close call.  Great story...thanks.

He's a survivor indeed! Against all the odds, he came back from CD4=3 and IRIS and regained his big bear shape in a few months. He didn't actually neglect his health before, he just was all alone, very depressed and he didn't know anything about hiv. I guess he underestimated the danger he was in and was affraid of the so called stigma.

Offline pioneer II

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:51:34 am »
Thanks for sharing this.  I am glad to hear he is doing so much better.  I am not sure whether he had warning signs, but I know many can feel just fine and then, bam! 

Since he didn't test until after his first hospital admission, I'm assuming his family just abandoned him on the presumption he was probably HIV poz?  How sad.  It is good you guys have each other.  It was great you were able to take off so much time, as many don't have that option. 

All the best to both of you, and do keep in touch.

Ted

He didn't have warnings before: we guess depression from our previous break up dragged him down the hill so fast. It took him roughly 3 months to go from "normal" health to full blown aids.

His family had abandoned him years ago, when he came out of the closet and started new a life with me. All a bunch of fat rednecks, they would rather see him dead than being openly gay and hiv+. Very sad, but true.

HIV brought us back together. All that situation made me see that my life would be miserable without him. We are now stronger than ever and being just happy!

Offline pioneer II

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:58:53 am »
Pioneer11,

britchickx

I must thank you all for the patience in reading all that long stuff! You know, happy endings sometimes do happen, but unfortunately not to everyone.

Offline pioneer II

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 05:00:56 am »
Good for you on putting your foot down and getting him to hospital! Sounds like you saved his life and took steps for your own health as well.

He'd do the same for me. I was just helping another human being. I might need the same care anytime in future, you never know.

Offline pioneer II

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 05:05:58 am »
He was very lucky to have you at his side, I'm glad he is much better, but don't forget to look after yourself as well.

Aroha
Jan

Yes, definitely! We are together and that makes us very strong against any difficulty we can face in life.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 05:30:44 am »
Welcome to the forums.  I thought I was going to read the beginning of a sad tale, but it turned out with a happy ending.  ;D

Wishing you continued success with your life's journey.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.