Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:42:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 684
Total: 685

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A intro to me (thanks Bear)  (Read 4832 times)

Offline chrism1973

A intro to me (thanks Bear)
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:15:57 am »
Hi  everyone,
                  I am not sure how many of you remember me but I used to be a regular here.I know Matty remembers me.Anyways, I have been experiancing somje self imposed stigma i guess you would say.1st I'll give you a quick rundown.I was married for 10 yrs to a wonderful woman who I had 3 children with.(all girls).I came out in sept of 03 and left to find myself and a new life.I met who I thought was mr.right.Long story short he never told me he had HIV till 3 months into the relationship.I stayed with him and we used protection till one night he took the condom off during sex.(sex and alcohol don't mix). I found out june 18,2004 I was poz.Since then I have created a little shell that I am trying to come out of.My status is known by many people.Hard to keep a secret in a small town.I withdrew from family and friends and all of the things I enjoy.My children ask what is wrong with me b/c I am not the happy daddy i used to be.I can't tell them this.They are way to young to handle knowing daddy is gay and has HIV.This site and the people on it helped me through the most difficult time in my life.I am trying to move forward but am unsure how.I don't know how to be comfortabale with me again.I have met a wonderful man who is also poz.His only complaint is I don't open up.The last time I trusted someone I got infected.How does one get past this? I am working with a therapist and trying to resolve this but was hoping my friends here would have some advice.I have accepted the factr that I am poz and have to take meds for the rest of my life.(tried a drug holiday didn't work).I have people at work who are nice to me but I am afraid to get close and strart a friendship b/c what if they find out?It's like I am always looking over my shoulder to see who is watching me and who will know.I knopw it's impossible in some ways but i just want to be me again.Now I just have to find that person and bring him out.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                                                                                                                                                                    chris
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline mjmel

Re: A intro to me (thanks Bear)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:00:59 am »
Welcome Chris. Glad you have made the choice to reach out and join the forum again. I get the impression from your writing that you're a nice guy and you are not so different from the rest of us human beings.  ;)
Isolation doesn't work, does it? Every one of us deal with these fears--and I think you'd agree that fear itself can spiral out of control--and create a paranoid lifestyle. I am not going to suggest that your fears aren't real. They are.

I will say this, however: If I meet someone and through disclosure or gossip that person turns from my friendship for reasons of being HIV+ then, in reality, it's me that's LUCKY. Lucky not to be surrounded with such shallow friends & acquaintances.

If you haven't forgiven the asshole who infected you then that might help let go the oppressive ghosts of mistakes. It's hard for some; easy for others. Undoubtedly, a beneficial experience for all of us who have to deal with this virus, the stigma it carries, and the realities of what it imposes on a new lifestyle.
Just my two cents,
Mike

edited: typo

Offline David_CA

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:49:22 am »
Hi Chris,

Welcome, if I didn't say it back when you first joined.  I think you're experiencing what a lot of us do initially.  It almost sounds like YOU need to accept that you are HIV+, that you most likely will need to take meds for life, and that those two things are the only things that are different about you.  I know that same two things are different about me now, but I also have an AIDS diagnosis to go along with those.  I'm still the same person with the same quirks and the same good qualities as before.  Sure, we may feel differently about things, but I think that's just part of the game (diagnosis with an incurable disease and a nasty stigma).  Often, we're MUCH harder on ourselves than we need to be and that others would be (but sometimes not).  Sure, you trusted somebody and became HIV+.  How many times have you trusted others and good things happened?  Another way to look at it is that you trusted the guy and became infected with the HIV virus; it won't happen again, since you've already got it!   ;)  Take care.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:06:25 am »
Chrissy!

Matty the Damned is delighted that you're posting again. You've gotta get your dainty butt back on Skype and talk dirty with your Aussie Boi. :-*

Oh and post more too. :)

MtD

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:36:48 am »
Hi,

I know how you feel. I also have people who know and people who don't and with those who don't I never feel 100% comfortable. Like tonight I am invited to go to dinner with my BF and his work buddies, but I think I will skip it and have him go alone. Yep I isolate. It hurts but so does feeling an outsider.

However, I do know that the vast majority of these people, even if they did know, after an initial shock, would be cool with it. When people know you and like you, if they do end up finding out, they accept it much better. That has been my experience so far. I once told a girl who was so shocked, she didn't beleive me and I had to show her the borochure from my meds that I happened to have on hand. And then, when we kiss goodbye (normal here to kiss on the cheek hallo & bye) she was really wierd, so much so that I had to email her and remind her that there  is now way I could infect her. But now she is totally cool with it. so i guess what i'm saying is, we can't predict nor obviously control people's reactions, but we can be surprised, even after a disappointment, to see them come around. I am not suggesting you out yourself to all your friendly collegues at this point, just that you mix with people who like you, and when the time is right, if you feel like it, let them know. And if not... then not. And if they happen to find out and get wierd, well, you will have a good excuse not to have told them in the 1st place.

As for the love thang, great that you found it!! And I would totally go with it. Turst me I know how scared s***less you are because I am also in a wonderful relationship (the only one I had in fact) and I am so scared, as a poz you feel so much more vulnerable. I am so scared of getting hurt. But you have to go along with it. You have to take the good things that life throws at you too, after all, we pick up all the bad things on the way, so whay not the good ones?

As for the kids, you may tell them later on, but "what's wrong daddy?", I always have and still bug my dad with that, he is always overworked and seems stressed and preoccupied. Most dads are unfortunately in our achievement oriented society, and I guess your kids are just at the stage where they start noticing. there are so many things to make a dad sad. For sure, my dad didn't share with us that he was sad about his sick and dying parents, stressed about work, or maybe experiencing marital problems. And that is the way of the world. dads don't share with their kids why they might be sad...

Hope you'll feel better,
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 01:16:00 pm »
Thanks for the introduction Chris. You sure have a plateful but it sounds like you are dealing with everything pretty well.  It takes time and you need to invest plenty of time in your new relationship.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 01:18:53 pm »
Chris is from the old forums and I'm glad to see you back posting again. I read your reply in my SSDI thread & am happy to hear you are pursuing a nursing career.  Good luck!

Keep Postin',

Dan

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:58 pm »
Hi Chris

I remember you well from the old days and it's good to see you posting again.

You took a big step back in Seprember 03 and that shows that you do have the strength to move forward and I'm sure you will find that strength again in your own time.

Welcome back

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 05:25:55 pm »
Welcome back.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 06:59:28 pm »
Welcome back Chris.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 07:11:57 pm »
Nice to meet you, Chris....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 07:57:41 pm »
I have met a wonderful man who is also poz.His only complaint is I don't open up.The last time I trusted someone I got infected.How does one get past this?

With small steps and complete honesty about what you are feeling the entire time.

Some may say you are being unfair to the new guy, but I really think it's a matter of being unfair to yourself.  I say as one who has been there - being too worried that the new or next person will hurt you also can keep you from allowing them to love you.

I'm glad you are seeing the therapist about it and I'm very pleased you found a wonderful man. 

Welcome home btw

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 09:05:53 pm »
Hey Chris-
  Welcome back.  I had a really hard time accepting the fact that I'm poz, back when I was diagnosed.  I think the only thing that helped me was time, therapy and friends and family who cared about the real me.  Maybe the therapist could give you some pointers about opening up with your current beau.  I'm not afraid of who knows now.  As I've gotten older and have lived with this for quite awhile, my life is like an open book.
   Hang in there and be gentle with yourself.
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Nadine

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 10:10:08 pm »
Welcome back Chris!  Good to see you back here and posting again.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 10:18:30 pm »
Hi Chris, nice to meet you, thank you for sharing your story :)

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline chrism1973

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 07:12:40 am »
Thank you for your responces.It's nice to be back here.Thank you for the welcome backs its good to see old friends and make new ones.It may take me awhile to get comfy posting again but I am sure that will soon pass. ;D    Chris
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 10:57:05 am »
being too worried that the new or next person will hurt you also can keep you from allowing them to love you.

so true and so well said. Thanks 4 that
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 11:10:41 am »
Nice to meet you, Chris. :)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 09:07:38 am »
Welcome back.  I remember you from before.  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.