Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lab Question  (Read 3023 times)

Offline MiniPozToyota

Lab Question
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:49 pm »
I gave labs on 13 Mar 2013 and I received my results today witch three months ago

was 659 cd4 now this month was 371 cd4. They want to redo them to check to see if

its just a low cd4 now or that the lab messed up with sending out the blood work.

Where I get my labs drawn at they have to send them to another city to get checked

so within that time period the blood cells start dying off... does anyone know how

long after you have your blood drawn that the blood work should be looked at? what

if it was soposed to go out but somehow missed the mail and was left a day late?

anyone else have this issue before?? I talked to my father who is a Dr. but not for

blood work or anything and he said that the longer you wait to have blood tested the

worse the test is going to be bc the cells die off... kinda freaking out about this

cause such a looooow dip my Dec labs at a out of state hospital was in the 800's.

Thanks.
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Lab Question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:55:27 pm »
For the CD4 test, while quicker is always better -- if drawn in the proper tube (usually EDTA tube) and, more importantly, stored properly -- ie. not too cold or too warm, testing should be done within ~48 hrs of collection.  This is from an article put out by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP).

Of course, many things can impact your CD4 level besides issues with testing or transport.  If you were recently ill, time of day, etc -- can impact your results.
While a redraw is prudent, I wouldn't spend much time worrying over this one result (I know easier for me to say, than for you to do).

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:28:57 am »
The labs before last, mine dropped a couple hundred points.  I was stressed at the time I did the blood work.  This happened before.  I am not sure about storing and time frame for CD4.  However, I remember they were having issues a while back with viral loads.  The way the blood was being stored (wrong tube, freezing, or something) was causing patients to have higher viral loads than what was real.  Whatever happened, they realized there was a problem. 

On a side note-- This last time, my doc called me.  He had never called me before, so I was already worried.  He said my CD4 was 232.  I could feel my heart drop into my stomach.  He got a call and had to call me back.  I kept wondering wtf.  He mixed me up with other patient.  Mine were back to where they usually are.  He needed to call me about my very low Vitamin D level of 11.  I was a tad upset with him.

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:54:31 pm »
Thanks, yeah I got my VL load back and it's UD had labs drawn again at the hospital that actually checks the blood count there so hopefully by Friday I'll know something.
April 2010- tested neg.
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below

Offline bocker3

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:37:37 pm »
Thanks, yeah I got my VL load back and it's UD had labs drawn again at the hospital that actually checks the blood count there so hopefully by Friday I'll know something.

Well, once you are on meds, the UD VL means far, far more than any CD4 result. 

Mike

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:22 pm »
Must have been someone not doing their job and sending off to the lab in time, re did the labs and my cd4 is 867 and VL UD so I probably wont be going back to that hospital.
April 2010- tested neg.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:47 pm »
Must have been someone not doing their job and sending off to the lab in time, re did the labs and my cd4 is 867 and VL UD so I probably wont be going back to that hospital.

Another possibility is that your outlier result was, in fact, a true result.  So many things can impact your CD4s, that this simply can't be discounted.
Now -- labs can and do make "errors" and couriers can, and do, mishandle specimens, but if they were constant issues it would be known and it would be rectified. 
Just had to throw this out there because folks are always very quick to blame the lab for a result that seems outside their norm -- I've worked and labs and had the occassional "mishap" -- but I always owned up to it and called the doc and/or patient to let them know a new specimen was needed.  I would NEVER report results that I knew could be erroneous -- NEVER.
So -- you can avoid that hospital, but if it was a "true" result, it could appear again anywhere and if it was a lab or a handling error --- they too, can (and do) happen at all labs.

Glad your repeat test came out as you hoped though.....

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.