Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:37:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 791
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 762
Total: 762

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Looking to start meds soon and am moving to Europe.  (Read 4503 times)

Offline rick21007

Looking to start meds soon and am moving to Europe.
« on: September 20, 2007, 06:19:02 pm »
Have an appt with my hiv MD on the 26th and we will be discussing my starting meds.  I am also planning to move to Europe--to Bucharest initially and then either we will be moving to Paris in the spring or coming back to the states.  I understand that meds are cheaper in Europe.  I will be losing my insurance when I move.  Any one knowledgeable about medication resources that would be available to non-citizens, is there are any?  This would be one of the deciding factors as far as moving to France vs. coming back to the states.  Also anyhone know what meds are covered by patient assistance programs?  Maybe I am dreaming that there is anything available at all but I thought I would ask.

Rick

Offline blondbeauty

Re: Looking to start meds soon and am moving to Europe.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:17:46 pm »
I don´t know how this works in Romania. But it is a very poor country. On the other hand, the French National Health System is one of the best in the world.
I can tell you how it is here in Spain, but I am sure it works in similar way in France. Once you are established in France, you must register in your city townhall. You will receive a sanitary card (like a credit card) and you can start using the National Health System. Meds in most of the EU countries are free.
Here is a link about how to obtain the National Health System in Spain. I am sure in France is easyer and better.
Who Has The  Riight?
Medical assistance is the benefit of medical and pharmaceutical services necessary to conserve or to restore the health of the protected people.
 General With general character, they will have right all the foreign, Spaniards and citizens whom they have established its residence in the national territory. Foreigners If they are enrolled in the municipal register in which they reside habitually, they have right to the medical assistance in the same conditions that the Spanish citizens.
Foreign minors under 18 years of age,  even when they do not have established their residence in Spain legally and are not included inside a familiar unit.
The pregnant foreigners will have right to medical assistance during the pregnancy, childbirth and postchildbirth.
 In any case, everybody has the right to receive the Urgent Medical Assistance.
This is the link to all the National Health Services in Madrid (Spain) I am sorry there is no english website. :-\
http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?pestanna=1&vest=1155886657113&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPage%2FPTSA_subhome&language=es&cid=1155886657113
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline rick21007

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:15:32 pm »
Thankyou for the information.  It is helpful and encouraging.  Soy leo Espanol. :D

Rick

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 03:04:10 am »
As blondie said, despite of their recent entry into the E.U., Romania is a poor country. The health system lacks doctors, funds, equipment and certain meds. You should definitely check beforehand what will be available to you before you start meds otherwise you may have to switch your combo when you're there. It's a totally different situation than in the western European countries.

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline livingpos

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:53:50 pm »
Hi,

I find myself in a similar situation. I want to move to Europe in May 2008, am not currently on meds. Since I am intending on staying 2 years on a teaching contract, I would have to apply for residence permit /worl permit. I have been sorting through which countries have restrictions and there is a lot of conflicting information. For example I would love to go to Spain but several websites say that a foreigner has to submit an HIV- status to qualify for residence, France and Germany too. I got this info from the US state dept website.

any additional info would be great
JOnathan

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »
I am Spanish. There are no such restrictions to become a resident in Spain. If you come with a contract there is no problem. And even if you where illegal you just have to register yourself. We call it "empadronarse" which consists in giving a permanent adress. You will receive your health card and you may start using the National Health System. Every Autonomic Comunity recieves fundings from the central government depending on the number of people that are registered in each community. So it is important to keep it updated at all times.
This is the card you will recieve:
http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?pageid=1156329829769&vest=1156329829769&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPTSA_Generico_FA%2FPTSA_pintarGenerico&language=es&cid=1142329323358
You can also ask for a European Health Card: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?pageid=1156329829769&vest=1156329829769&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPTSA_Generico_FA%2FPTSA_pintarGenerico&language=es&cid=1159882061459
On this website you will find all you need to know about the Public Health System in Madrid, hospitals, etc.
http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?pestanna=1&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPage%2FPTSA_subhome&language=es&cid=1155886657113
Be prepared to wait one month for the first appointment. Remember HIV is not treated by private doctors or by private insurance companies. HIV meds are not available at regular pharmacies and you can not buy them. The best hospital in Madrid for the treatment of HIV is "Carlos III". You will be a asigned a general practitioner and he will send you to the hospital of your area to diagnose your HIV infection and start the follow up and treatment. Remember few people speak English in Spain, so you will need the help of a person you trust.
Link to the "carlos III" hiv unit in English: http://www.fundacionies.com/personal.php?lang=ing
Moreover, I found this secction on the same website about the strategy to fight against HIV:
http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?vest=1156329913935&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPage%2FPTSA_pintarContenidoFinal&language=es&cid=1156329913935
This is a subsection about the medical atention for HIV+ people: http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?idNivel4=1142331654978&vest=1156329913935&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPage%2FPTSA_pintarContenidoFinal&language=es&cid=1142331367639
And about the 3 types of pharmaceutical attention and coverage:http://www.madrid.org/cs/Satellite?vest=1156329829805&pagename=PortalSalud%2FPage%2FPTSA_pintarContenidoFinal&language=es&cid=1156329829805

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:45:23 am by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:49:12 pm »
Bucharest?  Interesting choice, I'm sure there's a story.   Best of luck in Europe, from what others have posted, it sounds welcoming from a medical standpoint.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline livingpos

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 06:22:52 pm »
Northernguy, thanks for all of the very useful information, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the email responses I got from offices of European consular affairs. While several websites list countries as having restrictions since 2003 much of this information is incorrect. The EU has a blanket statement that non-EU citizens applying for work permits / residence must be HIV- but it seems many governments are not adhering to this policy. Good for them! And good for us! I was quite touched by the tone in many of the email replies, people were genuinely offended that someone with HIV would be treated differently or denied entrance to their country. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part the news is tremendously encouraging.

thanks again
Jonathan

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 02:58:53 am »
A note of caution about the information given on the US State Department website: They generally tell you what rights individual governments reserve for themselves; which, in the case of EU countries, is very rarely the rules that are generally applied.

EU countries do not routinely ask whether you are HIV-positive (nor require you to submit to an HIV test), but all reserve the right to – and when they do exercise that right, it is generally only because they have a reason to suspect that you are unwell AND that you are travelling from a resource limited setting for the SOLE purpose of getting free / subsidised healthcare.

Some of the newer EU states are more prone to exercise their rights, because the EU country that grants a non-EU citizen access / residency rights then assumes certain legal responsibilities for that person if they then start taking advantage of the lack of border controls to move around within the EU.

If you have a firm offer of a job, you are unlikely to be subjected to particular scrutiny / questioning – and even if you are, then a firm verifiable offer of a job, from a reputable organisation, will mean that you are unlikely to be refused. The fact that you are arriving from the USA makes it even less likely that you will be subjected to scrutiny, because it isn’t one of the countries of origin that would generally arouse suspicions of health tourism.

Once granted a residency / work permit in any EU country, you will - as a general rule - have exactly the same access to the healthcare systems of that country as a citizen would (and, subject to getting the correct paperwork from the EU country of which you are a resident, also access to emergency healthcare in any EU country you may choose to visit for recreational purposes).

I can only assume that the State Department does what they do in order to make their own inflexible rules on HIV look less odious than they are.

As regards treatment in Romania - it may not be the richest of countries; but, as well as being heavily subsidised by the richer EU countries, they do benefit from significant price reductions from the drug manufacturers and are therefore able to provide the same universal coverage to HIV-positive residents that most other EU countries do.

Translated versions of HIV i-Base’s excellent (IMO) treatment guides are widely used there, so if you read the English version of 'Introduction to Combination Therapy' you will have a pretty good idea of the drug availability and the sort of treatment guidelines in use there. (http://i-base.info/guides/starting/index.html)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 05:29:41 am by vokz »

Offline rick21007

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 02:31:37 pm »
Vokz-----thankyou for your thoughtful and informative reply.  I had heard that meds were much cheaper in Romania.   I have an appt. with my hiv doc in 3 weeks to discuss whether I will be going on meds or not at this time.  I have already found out how the wheels of government _really_ work.

Rick

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 02:46:56 pm »
Hi

please find below your rights as a foreigner in France (translated by Google):

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.actupparis.org%2Farticle296.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

If you have any questions, ask me, as I speak French.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 03:11:04 pm »
I had heard that meds were much cheaper in Romania.

My understanding is that they will be free if you get a work permit and are resident there for tax purposes. Check it out to be certain, but I am pretty sure they now have a policy of universal free access to HIV care.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:13:32 pm by vokz »

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:25 am »
These are the official Spanish Recommendations for the treatment on HIV infection:
http://www.gesida.seimc.org/english/pcientifica/guidelines.asp?apnv0=pcientifica&apnvA=guidelines&appag=guidelines_txt.htm
And this is the document (IN ENGLISH) of the Ministry of Health in wich the Spanish National Health System bases the treatment of HIV infection. But always remember you may start treatment whenever you want. Just as I did. "Alberche" another spanish member in these forums started treatment with a cd4 count close to 1.000.http://www.gesida.seimc.org/pcientifica/fuentes/DcyRc/DcyRc_Recommendations_GESIDA_Spanish%20AIDS_Plan.pdf
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:22:26 am by blondbeauty »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.