Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:40:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 524
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I get to continue my treatment break! Yay!!  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Cliff

I get to continue my treatment break! Yay!!
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:17:31 am »
Met with my doctor yesterday to discuss my lab results (cd4 310, cd4% 17).  We discussed treatment and he informed me (though I already knew) that the UK treatment guidelines have changed to recommend starting treatment around 350.  We discussed my options and looked at my labs for about the past 2 years and decided that I can probably continue my treatment break for another 6 months or so.  That would put me past December, which will be my 4th anniversary of my treatment holiday!

I'm so happy today, cause I really don't want to be on HIV meds and was dreading the fact that my counts keep trending downwards. 

Offline YaKaMein

Re: I get to continue my treatment break! Yay!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:32:36 am »
Cliff,
Glad to hear of your continued holiday and good health, obviously. Enjoy them both. - YaKaMein
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 04:43:23 am »
 I know they say that ARV therapy should be started before the CD4 count falls below 350, but if you and your Doc are happy to give it another six months then who are we to argue... ;)

I hope you are being monitored on a regular basis and keeping your eye on your numbers...but if you're happy then I'm happy... :D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 05:33:19 am »
Hey Cliff,

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat news for you...

I wished I could do the same....

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:07:43 am »
Cliff that's good news!
(did you take a break because of high cd4 numbers or because of meds issues?
-I dont remember but I d like to know)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:20:43 am »
Hi Cliff,

I'm glad you got news you wanted to hear.

All the best
Em

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:08:31 am »
Cliff,

I can appreciate wanting to continue the med holiday as long as possible, but am a little concerned about your numbers. 

Just to clarify though, will you have more blood work done before December (say in three months) just to check your levels?

My best wishes that you can stay off the meds though for a long time yet to come though.

Offline ozzie

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:15:18 am »
Thats nice! I had a short break... about 3 weeks and I have to say it was nice not worrying about taking the medicines lol. My doctor was worried because my liver levels were a little high but apparently it was the combination of my first alcoholic drink + my medicine + lots and lots of theraflu i was taking for the cold haha  ;D

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:30:13 am »
(((SIGH)))

That sound everyone is hearing is several dozen people banging their heads against the wall!

RAB    >:(

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:01:43 am »
Hey Cliff,

Well, you know how I am about numbers, etc., and meds. But, if you're happy, I'll just say enjoy it.
Just take good care of yourself because I still owe you a cocktail, remember? Montreal?

What happened to your avatar? No photo?

Anyway, keep us posted and keep yourself well.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:33 am »
Hey cliff...

I really think that's great.  (I really do. no sarcasm here.  I hate these friggin' pills) and I know you're living in Great Britain now but you're an American at heart and with the 4th of July weekend beckoning, I know you'll be thinking of our values like  life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and treatment guidelines of 200 t-cells.  No problemo.  You're in good shape.

robert

(see you in Mexico City, mister.)

edited to add.....ps.  yeah where is that sexy photo of you all spread-eagled out in the chair?  I love that picture.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 10:28:45 am by Robert »

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:59 am »
Hello Cliff ,

Wow! I think that it is just absolutely amazing that you are able to continue your treatment interuption
into your fouth year in December.My doctor has had me on a treatment interuption 2 years in August and despite the numbers my quality of life and health is superb.With any luck i too will be able to reach the four year milestone as well.What factors due you think have played a part in you being able to sustain a break for such a length of time?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 05:09:08 am by Lorenzopier »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:54:23 am »
Good on you, enjoy the summer

It is of course not really a break since I seem to remember you did the treat early thing.

It's just a delay, long may it go on  :)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »
deja vu , knock on wood

Offline ANGEL42

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 03:00:59 pm »
      I`ve read this post alot the past couple of days and I have to share my concern. This is only through my own experience and please I hope no one gets offended.

I was put on a meds holiday for two years for Lypodistrophy where in the begining it was to give my body a rest. It was at the end of that holiday I was diagnosed with HIV related Hodgkins.We`re talking close to 2 1/2 years ago when I was diagnosised w/Cancer. In retrospect and after much research believe that the cancer became an issue because I was on holiday too long.
Just a thought.

What I have found out since is that Doctors are more reluctent to do holidays unless its medically neccessary. My Doctor, who is the number 4 ID doctor in New York has never come out and said this is why I got Hodgkins but has definitely said that since then they are very cautious with med holidays.

I don`t blame him nor do I think it was the wrong decision. What I do believe is that we are all still guinney pigs and Doctors are still learning how to treat this horrible virus.

I do wish you nothing but the best and hope that Hodgkins does not become an Issue for you.

I Share this with great concern as not to be a Doctor but only as a patient who has experienced a med holiday with a horrible outcome.

All the best
ANGEL
" My Body Might Be Broken, but My Spirit and Soul are Alive and Well " my personal mantra

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 05:10:55 pm »
Congratulations on being able to carry on the treatment break Cliff!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 06:53:23 pm »

Good luck with that Cliff. Hope you can continue for a while, without needing the meds.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »
Great news, Cliff!  Matt is right though, your circumstances are unique in that you stopped a very early treatment regimen.  His good news shouldn't be read by others here that treatment interruptions are always a healthy choice.

Please see all the various results from the biggest study on this (which don't really apply to Cliff's situation).  You can run a search of AIDSmeds stories on this by using the following link:

http://www.poz.com/search/?query=SMART+study&submit=Search%21&metaname=swishdefault&sort=swishrank&si=1&dr_o=12&dr_s_mon=7&dr_s_day=3&dr_s_year=2008&dr_e_mon=7&dr_e_day=3&dr_e_year=2008&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=dr_o&.cgifields=metaname&.cgifields=reverse

So Cliff's news is great, but Angel's story is not uncommon.

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »
Hey Cliff,

I'm envious and happy for you.
I'd love to take a break from the pills. It's not the side effects that are bothering me. I'm just getting sick and tired of having to take them all the time, twice a day, seven days a week. Mornings are easy, but I'd to just be able to do what I want after work and not make sure I pop in home by 7pm to take those pills.
Good luck to you and may your break continue for a long time.

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline ANGEL42

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 09:08:58 pm »
    Thanks Peter for understanding my situation and validating the exsistence of this problem with Med holidays and its negative outcomes.And thank you for hooking me up with the Smart studies...very interesting to say the least.

Again, Cliff all the best and many more years of good health and continued success in battling your virus.

ANGEL
" My Body Might Be Broken, but My Spirit and Soul are Alive and Well " my personal mantra

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 11:36:49 pm »
 :)
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 06:53:01 am »
Good for you Cliff. Just keep your eye on those numbers. Enjoy that holiday as long as you can.

Rodney

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 09:27:05 am »
Thanks all.  Treatment break, treatment delay...whatever it technically is, I'm happy!

Plus I got my bonus yesterday.  And it's pride weekend. 

I intend on killing a few tcells or brain cells this weekend!!!  Yay!!!!

Cliff

Who hasn't been this happy in a long time and misses home.

P.S.- I will get a lab done prior to December.

Happy 4th!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 09:37:42 am »

Thanks all.  Treatment break, treatment delay...whatever it technically is, I'm happy!

Plus I got my bonus yesterday.  And it's pride weekend. 

I intend on killing a few tcells or brain cells this weekend!!!  Yay!!!!      ::)

Cliff

Who hasn't been this happy in a long time and misses home.  :-* 

P.S.- I will get a lab done prior to December.  Good!

Happy 4th!

Happy 4th back at you buddy.

RAB   ;D

Offline Jody

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 12:47:11 pm »
Good luck with the treatment break Cliff and all good things to you in the future, you deserve only the best !!!

Happy 4th to you too.

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 03:09:41 pm »
Great to hear -- can't believe it's 6 months shy of 4 years already for the treatment break. Hope you celebrated and enjoyed Pride (I sure did ;) )

Mike :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.