Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:42:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 364
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is Pluto a Planet?  (Read 7750 times)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Is Pluto a Planet?
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:26:35 pm »
I know, I am a total geek. But I have been following the conference in Prague, and scientists seem pretty well split down the middle.

When it was discovered in 1930, it was thought that Pluto was the size of Earth. Even with it's elongated and wobbly orbit around the sun (far more indicative of object in the Kuiper Belt) it's still been a seemingly stable force in the solar system. Plus, three generations of styrofoam balls creates a certain sentiment.

But turns out, it's NOT the size of earth. As a matter of fact, it's way smaller than Earth's moon. We don't have the capacity to determine whether or not it has a core like Earth, or any signs of stabilizing it's orbit and/or accumulating mass.

I'm thinking, not a planet. Planetoid maybe. Decent sized asteroid, perhaps. Escaped moon from Neptune or even a throwoff from Jupiter, maybe. But not a planet. Plus the fact that if we keep Pluto's classification as a planet, we HAVE to count 2003 UB313, otherewise known as Xena, discovered in 2005 a little further out than Pluto. It's still in an orbit around the sun, and is roughly 70 miles in diameter bigger than Pluto.

So no matter what, it looks as though science projects in middle schools around the globe will change. Question is, will they change to ten styrofoam balls? Or eight? My vote goes to eight.

Thoughts? Or do I watch too much ST:TNG?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline whizzer

Re: Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:39:22 pm »
No, Pluto is a brown floppy-eared dog in the Disney cartoons.

.......and THAT'S why I think it should remain classified as a planet.  C'mon, of all the planets, Earth, Saturn (cuz of the rings) and Pluto were always favorites growing up.  Pluto creates a warm, fuzzy nostalgic feeling of childhood.

Back when times were good.

Before I discovered Uranus.  Oops, but that's another story.

-Whiz

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:59:01 pm »

When it was discovered in 1930, it was thought that Pluto was the size of Earth. Even with it's elongated and wobbly orbit around the sun (far more indicative of object in the Kuiper Belt) it's still been a seemingly stable force in the solar system. Plus, three generations of styrofoam balls creates a certain sentiment.

But turns out, it's NOT the size of earth. As a matter of fact, it's way smaller than Earth's moon.

Jonathan are you trying to say that "size matters"?  Never figured you to be a size queen.   ;D

Offline Cliff

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:50:33 pm »
Drop Pluto.  And while they are at it, figure out exactly how many continents we have.  Should Asia really be a separate continent from Europe?  And if so, doesn't that mean that India is also a separate continent?  They should also look into the number of oceans.  Do we really need a Southern Ocean?

On second thought, keep Pluto a planet.  It just makes life easier.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:52:07 pm »
In 5th grade, the science teacher had one of those plastic 'solar system' models that had all the planets on wires that revolved around the sun.....I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

I agree, Pluto is a DOG (but if he is, what does that make Goofy?)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:26:37 pm »
I agree, Pluto is a DOG (but if he is, what does that make Goofy?)

good question Alan ... i think Goofy is a mutant wolf

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:33:57 pm »
Poor Pluto, this cold, lonely little planet sitting all the way out there at the end of the solar system, all by its lonesome, not a hell of a lot to do and now she is being stripped of its planetary status.

Jody  :-[
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 10:48:08 pm »
Ahhhh. Jonathan. That cup of coffee and a chat we will one day have will extend well beyond HIV. Astronomy is another interest of mine.

Just to be argumentative I will say it should be a planet...and Xena too.

Looking forward to that coffee one day...

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:54:53 pm »
Forget Xena for a minute, what about Pluto's mate Charon? Is it simply a satellite (moon) of Pluto or is their relationship more equal and therefore are they double planets?

Cliff, there are many different ideas as to what constitutes a continent and how many of them we have - is Australia an Island or a Continent, should Europe and Asia be separate Continents, should north and south America be separate Continents, is India/Pakistan a continent in its own right/a sub-continent/or a part of Asia?

PS. The Southern Ocean was only officially approved/recognised in 2000

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 07:43:18 am »
Saturn = a car with plastic body panels
Mars = A candy bar with almonds
Mercury = the Lead singer of Queen
Neptune = some Greek daddy with a pitchfolk
Venus = a tennis player built like a Football player
Jupiter = the Israeli Planet
Uranus =  too easy, but its safe to ASSume that Man has visited it
Pluto = Mickeys dog
Xena = Warrior princess and Lesbian icon

"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 01:21:34 pm »
I'm not sure I get the Jupiter one.

In other news....it appears that Disney is also looking to demote Pluto.

Senior sources inside Disney have told this web site that the company is to consider demoting Pluto to Junior Sidekick status.

For the last fifty years the cartoon dog has officially been a Senior Sidekick Class 1.  A spokesman for the company told our reporter: "The review of Pluto's position in the cartoon firmament is part of a regular reappraisal of the company's assets."

A spokesman for the extremist anti-Pluto pressure group Pluto Must Die, emailed us to say: "Getting stuck in a picnic basket is really the height of Pluto's abilities as far as we are concerned."   "It's time to dump the mutt, downgrading him is just too little too late." "We are calling for the dog to be put down."

To cartoon outsiders this may seem harsh, however in a recent internet survey of people with little to do in their lives, even the dog in The Simpsons ranked higher than Pluto, even though nobody surveyed could actually recall the name of the dog on The Simpsons.

Pluto's demotion, were it to be approved, means that animators specializing in the cartoon dog will have to get their own coffee, clean their own on-set trailer and stand up when Mickey Mouse animators enter the room.

In other news, Pluto the planet could be demoted to rubble, more to follow.

Offline Lwood

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 01:53:32 pm »
OK so the Jupiter joke was a stretch, there's just not anything named after Jupiter other than some Trailer park in Florida and a Psychotic killer in the Hills Have Eyes ( the original not that crappy remake ) 
The simpsons dog is Santa's Little Helper, I loved the episode where Homer fed him all of the Bacon leftover from his grease selling scheme, "Time for a Squeezin'.." almost as good as the episode where they think Bart is Gay,and the Same Sex Mariage. Theres a picture of me at Disney( yes Gay Days)  wearing a Goofy hat with floppy ears and buck teeth. It looked cute on  kids, just pathetic on a grownup.
The current most popular cartoon dog has to be Brian, from Family Guy.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 02:37:22 pm »
I am still no closer to understanding the Jupiter joke, the walk down Adult cartoon memory lane not withstanding.   ;D

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 02:59:03 pm »
I know Pluto is GAY and likes Mice specifically lured in  by a Hot Ginger Bread Men delivered by the Muffin Man...  That's my knowledge base..  Does this help?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 03:20:35 pm »

Peace
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Lwood

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 05:14:45 pm »
Jupiter  JEWpiter, the Israeli planet,  its a lame joke but like I said there just isn't much to work with there, and nothing rhymes with it, so there  we are,   theres just not alot of humor in astronomy which is probablly why Observatories never have Open Mic night.   I wonder if they use Astroglide to get through those long starry nights ??

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 10:16:32 am »
12 planets, apparently. I forgot to factor in the "round" criteria in the planetary equation.

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2006/08/16/nine_no_longer_panel_declares_12_planets/

That is the conclusion, to be announced today, of an international panel formed to devise a scientific definition of a planet and settle an increasingly intense dispute over whether Pluto qualifies. The panel suggests retaining Pluto and immediately adding three new planets to the nine that are familiar to any schoolchild: Ceres, currently considered a large asteroid; Charon, now considered a moon of Pluto; and Xena, a recently discovered object that is larger than Pluto.
But the group's proposal also makes clear that many more objects in the solar system -- perhaps dozens of them -- could qualify as planets after further study.

Did not see THAT coming.

Snakes on a plane.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Lwood

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 10:25:20 am »
OK , Jupiter = The Planet that Supersized it !

Lets just hope that they dont discover a 13th planet, that would give rise to all sorts of interplanetary conspiracy theories and generally be considered the source of all Evil in the Solar System, like Ming's planet in Buck Rogers...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:29:30 am by Lwood »

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 07:28:14 pm »
hey Jonathon,

I heard last night that if they decide against 12 planets, then the likely outcome is Pluto is ditched and we are back to 8 planets. Pluto, and Pluto like objects, are likely to be called Plutons. I kinda like that name.

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.