Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:34:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 610
Total: 611

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I demand a vaccine  (Read 5099 times)

Offline hahaha

I demand a vaccine
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:49:19 am »
I demand a vaccine, I don't care about the efficacy of such therapeutic vaccine, I need one, now!!

At least it makes me sleep better. I am tired of phase II, III and all the stuff.  If it is "safe" and test in phase I clinical trial, why not just let us buy it and use it?
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
Re: I demand a vaccine
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:10:59 am »
which phase is a theraputic vaccine actually in right now?

i have been reading through your posts in the research forum but it is difficult to find the bottom line re. the vaccine.

you seem to be having a lot of problem with the meds, but you have started them not long ago. if you are unable to get proper care in Taiwan, you might do better in Thailand, which is very cheap to fly to with the new lowcost asian airlines. a lot of foriegners get treated in private hospitals there for various things from dental care to surgery because of the low costs and high quality. i don't know which drugs are available in both countries, but thailand has more experience. i don't know what the situation is like in taiwan.

take good care,
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:24:32 am »
I demand a vaccine, I don't care about the efficacy of such therapeutic vaccine, I need one, now!!

Vaccines are intended to prevent an infection from getting a foothold, not to treat an ongoing infection.  As Dragonette suggests, you need to take charge of your own care and stop whining about the progress of a vaccine because it's not going to help you, period.

Peace,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:39:25 am »
VACCINE?? NO SUCH THING RIGHT NOW AND REALLY DON'T EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN. NO  MONEY IN A CURE!!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 09:46:31 pm »
Armando,

Matty the Damned has been meaning to ask you this for a while. but DO YOU HAVE TO TYPE EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS ALL THE DAMN TIME?

On the Intahnets using all caps is frowned up on because it's CONSIDERED TO BE SHOUTING!

You don't need to yell all the time dear. We can hear you. ;)

MtD

Offline northernguy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:35:36 pm »

Vaccines are intended to prevent an infection from getting a foothold, not to treat an ongoing infection.  As Dragonette suggests, you need to take charge of your own care and stop whining about the progress of a vaccine because it's not going to help you, period.

Peace,
David

Well, actually isn't there talk of a therapeutic vaccine?  I remember reading something about one of the trials saying it might not prevent infection, but could be useful for those already infected.

Hahaha, I'm curious as to why you were put on meds so soon?
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:51:54 am »
yes that's what I meant, I have been reading his posts and he was talking about a therapuetic vaccine, to make HIV latent in the body, even when you are infected (like chicken pox, mono, etc).

hahaha, please don't be offended by my suggestion to go to Thailand. It was just a thought. If you feel isolayed with the disease in Taiwan, it might benefit you. There is also a kind of hostel/gym/hangout place for poz gays in Bangkok, I haven't been there (naturally, since I am a woman!) but I saw it advertized, and there is a free walk-in HIV clinic for gays in the Bangkok Christian hospital. So I was thinking, Thailand is way ahead of te rest of Asia when it comes to HIV, and now you can fly there cheap as well...
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline joemutt

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:19:54 am »
Mmm Dragonette, I reread hahaha's posts, I think he's on meds, has a job and has ok cd4's,
so I think it's not really opportune to suggest he'd move to Thailand, though I dont doubt your good intentions. The hostel etc. is ok but kinda last resort. Generally (generic) retrovirals are affordable here
but still a lot of stigma. What I read in his posts is that hahaha is in fear of death, or rather frustrated with the fact that we (people with hiv) always live with this uncertainty about possible outcomes, unfortunately there's not a lot to be done about this but work to acquire some peace of mind. I also wish there was a realistic hope for a therapeutic vaccine, but we won't know until we get there.

Offline Jake72

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:28:17 am »

Peace,
David

Well...the world's first therapeutic vaccine for brain cancer was just approved in Switzerland (not a third-world nation with dodgy standards by any stretch of the imagination):

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/07-09-2007/0004621381&EDATE=

Some of the people posting in this thread are acting as if pursuing the idea of a therapeutic vaccine were about the same as pursuing the idea of the tooth fairy.  And while I don't advocate getting our hopes up or "counting our chickens before they hatch," the truth is that several therapeutic vaccines are already in clinical trials, mostly in phases one and two.

Here's a PDF outlining what's going on in pipeline research (as of July 2007).  Go to page 49, and you'll see which therapeutic vaccines are in Phase II:

http://www.aidsinfonyc.org/tag/tx/pipeline0707.pdf

There's even a US Army vaccine (designed first for preventive purposes, with a secondary objective of controlling viremia) going into Phase III  in Thailand:

http://www.primeboost3.org/press_eng_bk.htm

So while I'm not saying that we should already roll up our sleeves for a therapeutic vaccine, I think that more research has been done in this area than some of the posts here would suggest. 

Finally, I feel that several people have been a bit hard on Hahaha.  Many of us have just had those days once in awhile where we think 'why can't a cure or a vaccine just appear?'  It seems that Hahaha is a functioning person who works and takes medications responsibly.   From his (or her) posts, he (or she?) does not appear to be in denial or some wild-eyed maniac who's gone off the deep end.  As for "whining," if a HIV-poz user can't let off some steam or, yes, WHINE on an HIV forum on poz.com, then where can he or she do it?  Surely not in most other places.  Sometimes this is the only place where a poz individual can turn, and I think that most of us can agree that occasionally we all need to vent anger, frustration, etc.     

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 08:35:31 am by Jake72 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.