Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:33:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 125
Total: 125

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Neurolgist...  (Read 7732 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Neurolgist...
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:49:05 pm »
I went to the hospital today for an appointment with the Neurologist.

I never knew.  :-\

I have neuropathy in my feet and last month I started to notice a sharp pain in my right elbow going down to my little finger and the ring finger and they are numb also. Dr-rondrond self diagnosed carpal tunnel....DRG diagnosed a pinched nerve, thus the referral.

After rolling on the floor to get my pants buttoned and belted   :D I put my jogging shorts in my bag of meds , just in case they had me disrobe, as I was pretty sure I would never get back in them at the hospital  ::)

DRM entered and immediately asked "have you ever had this done before?" Which sent a red flag up the pole...
"no...at least, I don't think so, as I don't know what you're going to do to me, I'll say..no. ..just... what are you going to do to me?"

"Oh, we're going to check your muscles and nerves....with these probes and needles" .."needles?"..."yes, needles...it's ok, some say it's tolerable" ..."GuLP"

And she puts the probes on and sHoOts an electric current through my hand....three times.. and I start to climb the wall...."are you alrgiht?"     "no"

Then she moves it up my arm and does it again.. and I'm pretty vocal...I think I was in perfect pitch for the note of "C" and it should have carried to the back of the auditorium.  :D

Then she puts in on my elbow and ..not so much....then she starts with the needles and I start to practice my chords in varying octaves again...

Then she put an electric probe on my right calf that had had the blood clot, and swollen foot and all I felt was an intense itch where the probe was....

...i never knew...and i will probably never again...

...and of course, they don't know nothing, the report will be sent to the doctor and I can get the results then.

I did have to interject that I would have to put an in- in front of tolerable as I found the procedure to be intolerable   :D

I was planing on going to the store afterwards, instead, I couldn't wait to get home and crawl under my blankie... 8)
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Neurolgist...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:02:55 pm »
 ??? Well, I certainly would NOT want to go to that Doctor  :-[
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:49:01 pm »
I was just wondering what these "needles" looked like.  Are they thin and solid like acupuncture needles?
Poor, Ron. I hope you get some relief from the neuropathy. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline rondrond

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:28:10 pm »
Joel,

I confess that by the time it came to the needles, I had my other hand clamped over my eyes trying to imagine myself anywhere but where I was. I did take a small peek, and they seemed to be long and thin....

They were connected to a machine that would emit static noises as I contracted the muscles she asked me to....she would also move them in different directions after insertion, which was why I was not looking as IT HURT....

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 03:33:01 pm »
Hey Ron,

Nerve conduction tests (I believe that is what they are called) are not fun.

The needles sort of resemble acupuncture needles, but are larger and connected to electric wires.

How soon do you get the results?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rondrond

Re: Neurologist...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 09:47:57 am »
Mark,

My next appointment is not until May...unless something untowards comes upon me. :D

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »
urg Ron not good the best info I ever had about pain control came from the pain control Doc who said use the meds so the pain does not come through. It took awhile to overcome taking Pain drugs without screaming pain but she was /is right.

So pleased some else also has a blankie

love mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:42:23 pm »
Ronnie, sorry about all that crap.  I hope they come up with some answers, but it seems like a lot of bs to go through, all they need to do is give you something for the pain.  My doctor mentioned a nerve conduction test to me, and I declined.  Glad I did now. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline rondrond

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:40 pm »
I'm beginning to wonder if the electricity 'woke up' some sleeping dragons as my feet are just burning and have been for the last three days. My hand and wrist hurt, and there is an intense pain where the probe was on top of my foot.

Mom says that JW had neuropathy and felt like he was walking on glass. She has some home remedies they found in a book in 'Daddy's' (her father, my GFather) trailer which she bought from him when he moved into an apt and they set it up at the ranch.

The book is one of my GMom's who was from Finland and had some pretty strange concoctions from the 'old country' but Mom swears that JW tried then and said that they worked.

..a bonding opportunity in the making....she is looking for the Book for me.  :D

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:55:52 pm »
I'm beginning to wonder if the electricity 'woke up' some sleeping dragons as my feet are just burning and have been for the last three days. My hand and wrist hurt, and there is an intense pain where the probe was on top of my foot.

Mom says that JW had neuropathy and felt like he was walking on glass. She has some home remedies they found in a book in 'Daddy's' (her father, my GFather) trailer which she bought from him when he moved into an apt and they set it up at the ranch.

The book is one of my GMom's who was from Finland and had some pretty strange concoctions from the 'old country' but Mom swears that JW tried then and said that they worked.

..a bonding opportunity in the making....she is looking for the Book for me.  :D

I have had problems with neuropathy since the early 90's . My neuropathy is worse , way worse some days or even weeks than others times . The only relief I get from pain is from opiates and regular exercise . I'm just careful not to take the pills too many days in a row so I don't get dependent again .

I wish Lyrica or Topamax worked for me like it does for some but it just doesn't in my case .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:11:31 pm »
I have had problems with neuropathy since the early 90's . My neuropathy is worse , way worse some days or even weeks than others times . The only relief I get from pain is from opiates and regular exercise . I'm just careful not to take the pills too many days in a row so I don't get dependent again .

I wish Lyrica or Topamax worked for me like it does for some but it just doesn't in my case .    

jg1962 nothing really worked for me, on the days my PN is really bad, I'll just sit a lot of things out
until I feel better, I hate opiates  I cannot stomach them at all, and that's a good thing I can't
as I'm a former addict ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:37 pm »
My feet aren't burning so bad today..just the bottom, especially the heel if I leave it 'parked' in the same place for too long...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »
My feet aren't burning so bad today..just the bottom, especially the heel if I leave it 'parked' in the same place for too long...

:-* take it easy and feel better  ;)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 03:38:30 pm »
It will lessen in intensity Ronnie, hang in there. As to home remedies I was due to go on a trail for a cream where the active ingredient was chili,s. .
The thinking was around ,I think, desensitization.
The thing that works for me is a cocktail off Strong opiate based pain killer and an anti depressant.
If you can get access to a Pain Controll consultant , It could be worth it, though I am conscious that for me there is no financial implications to doing that.
anyway hope the Finnish bonding is fuzzy and warm
love theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 12:56:27 am »
It sucks being in pain but making you wait until May for results is just downright cruel!

Hugs & Stuff,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline drew50

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 01:44:34 pm »
Hi,
I'd just like to bring my new site and blog to everyone's attention. If you or someone else  is suffering from neuropathy, you'll know how life changing that can be. This site and blog are intended as information sources but also as media for exchanging views, experiences and ideas for relieving problems.
http://www.neuropathyandhiv.nl/neuropathiehiv_002.htm
and
http://neuropathyandhiv.blogspot.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.