Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:41:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Interview with local newspaper!!  (Read 17034 times)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
Interview with local newspaper!!
« on: May 31, 2006, 03:36:16 pm »
To My Forum Family,

I would like to announce a HUGE event for me that will occur next Tuesday at my humble abode!

Our local newspaper is coming to interview me (with a photographer) to discuss my having lived in these Sierra Foothills for 14 years as a
  HIV+ straight woman. I have decided to use this occasion to disclose my status, as well as my real name, a decision I've been working on
  making for years now.

I want to thank everyone here on AM for the tremendous support and encouragement through these past several months, and I
  attribute to you the sense of community that has been so lacking in my life for so long.

I could not have arrived at this place without you, and will forever be grateful. I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders,
  and can only hope that by telling my story, that a woman who has been living with the same isolation and shame out there will know that
  she is not alone.

With much love, and admiration,

Your Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Teresa

Re: Interview with local newspaper!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:52:34 pm »
Thats great zephyr. It takes alot of courage to do that. You and Trish are so brave to be putting yourselves out there like you are.

Bless You
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:53:53 pm »
you go girl!   Me so proud of you  :o

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:04:15 pm »
Wow!  From a moth to a butterfly...
our Zephyr has arrived

You Go, Girl..........
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 04:09:00 pm »
Wow! Zeph, between you and Trish, you are putting us to shame!

I think it is wonderful. Having known the trials and tribulations of coming out - twice - I know it isn't always easy.

Would it be possible to see the article? Does the paper have an on-line edition?

I would love to read it and see the photo if it is possible.

HUGS and Congrats!

Mark

Edited to include Michael (Sonomabeach) in the list of incredible people. You all rock!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:24:25 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Trish

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 04:22:14 pm »
WELL BLOW ME DOWN!!!

THIS IS FANTASTIC!!!  You, me, Michael (sonoma) -- HOLY CRAP!!! 

I have no doubt that you will make a difference Zeph... I truly do.

Seems we're on the same journey these days, well, since the first time we spoke on the phone.  ONE HELL OF A CONNECTION!!!

LOVE YOU!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:24:11 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 04:23:08 pm »
Zephyr, wow,such a brave confident woman you are.  Once the article is published I hope you will share a link if it will be available online.

Close your eyes and picture me sending you a standing applause :D

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 04:27:08 pm »
That's great, Zeph.

If you aren't asked some of the questions a report should ask, then answer them anyway. Remember, you're the expert on the subject.

And have fun with this. Looking forward to reading it.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline water duck

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 04:36:01 pm »
will be thinking of you on TUESDAY; might be a good opportunity to drop a word or two about ZEPHYR FOUNDATION ? no??

Jeff , we shall all stand beside you to DO the STANDING APPLAUSE.

Siang

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:10:50 pm »
Good on Ya Zephie !!!!!
Way to go.
 Your love, light, compassion and common sense will blow the newspaper readers away.

Cheers
Paul

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 05:50:15 pm »
Spread those wings and fly, honey.    I can't think of a better person for them to feature in an interview!

Keep us posted.....

Love & hugs,

Alan   :D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 05:55:53 pm »
Zephyr,

For reasons that only you know and understand; I am going to copy a post directly here, as it is for you and another person.

Thank you for standing up and being counted.  This thread brings tears to my eyes, and at the same time, a huge amount of gratitude for the women of AIDSmeds.com that are taking a stand and saying "Fuck You" to those that might try to intimidate them.  This is the type of action/participation that will grow and multiply, so all you women; rock on!!!!

In LOving Thanks.
(who needs a rest really bad, as he never copies anything here)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 06:08:49 pm »
did moffie just say 'fuck'?   :o

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 06:10:44 pm »
Well done Zephie!

You media tart. ;D

MtD
(Who only ever gets mentioned in the court reports)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 09:27:57 pm »
Hi Zephie!

I had my interview (with short notice) over the phone.  I had been told by the Santa Rosa Press Democrat (a New York Times company) that HIV is not news.  The reporter Katy Hillenmeyer called me three times last night and surprise... HIV is news and she asked I direct all future press releases to her directly as so many were not delivered to her desk in the past.  I have a NEW Best Friend! so I will be writing again.  Who is this New Best Friend?  Sonoma County Reporter Katy Hillenmeyer, of course.  Have the best day
Michael
(who has reprinted a Katy Hillenmeyer article in his site)

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:28:55 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 10:00:34 pm »
Hi Zephyr,

Your courage never ceases to amaze me.  You are truly one in a million billion!
Member since March 2004

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 10:18:08 pm »
Hi Zeph.

I am so proud of you and Trish, I know how hard it was to decide to do this. I am still scared shitless to call my case manager and get the support group going here but with women like you and Trish out there taking a stand and showing all of us that we can do it i am sure it won't be long till i make that phone call. Thank you for being so strong.

Love Wendy

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 10:32:38 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 10:08:13 pm by Iggy »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 11:01:24 pm »
Zephyr

This is good news. I'll be interested in a link to the article, too. And, I appreciate the gumption, the reaching within, the eye on the large prize for all people. There can't be enough of us working on this issue.

I am not far behind you. I have a just a few more pieces to put in place. We can balance the continent a bit!

The second part Frontline series " The Age of AIDS " aired tonight. There are 30 million dead thus far and it is destined to be with us at least another generation. (go to www.pbs.org for additional info -- I hope it will be available for sale --- 4 hours all told from genesis to present day)

It was a treat to see your face up close. Knock 'em out Rocky.

Pacem
Emeraldize

Offline jyngfilm

• AHH! I knew it, Betty had balls
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 11:06:53 pm »
Good go, I hope you can figure a way to copy the article to these forums.....? if you choose to.
~jordon
munchausen by proxy is not an out in my case

Offline zephyr

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 03:10:04 am »
Dear, dear people,

I have tears of happiness streaming down my face as I type this. Your wonderful responses have resonated deeply, and will carry me through this flight. When I remember the dark nights, worried and alone, no support, I remember begging for a community like we are, now. To make this announcement on the very day of the forums change-over, it would seem a silken thread of the Universe's timing has reached down from the ether, an all-out "YES"to this transformation.

Breaking from the old ways, and leaping into the new.

To know that this is happening within days of similiar events with our amazing Trish and Michael, confirms what I am feeling.

I am breathing more calmly now, and want to thank each of you, personally, for your words.

Teresa:  Oh, my dear, courage and bravery are terms for those who continue to believe in Life, even when they are ill. It is for them I will
            speak.

Dingo:  Your wizardry with this technology allowed me to watch Regan Hoffman break her silence; you know I will always be grateful to you
           for (unknowingly) helping me to make up my mind. I am proud of you for all you do, my sweet!

David:  That cocoon was getting too DAMN tight!! The first wing unfurled when I met all of you, and the second one, though moist, is
           getting ready to show it's true length and breadth. Having you here with me makes the work easier!

Mark:  My earth-soul-brother, thank you the encouragement!! I will definitely find out if the paper is on-line, and will link us all lup!!

Trish:  It was your talent for speaking the real truth of 'Living With', as a woman, that helped me to recognize I need OUT!! My life has
         been censored for too long, only you have seen those streaming tears of release (when we were on the road to see Robert) and
         sheer joy at my local disclosures. Connection, yes, SISTERHOOD, DEFINITELY!!

Jeff:  I heard you CLAPPING, I swear!! Thank you, honey!

Andy: Yes, well-armed, I am. Been studying long and hard for this day, I'm ready!

waterduck:  I have garnered much wisdom from you, Siang, and love. Grateful does not say enough!!

OzPaul:  Kindred and bright spirit, our Magic-man, I may need to leave town, do you have the Garden Room available??

Alan:   I am flying, sweetie, with you beneath my wings!! Kisses!! (I do so miss my little lips icon!)

Tim:  Good good friend......you have earned a rest, my dear. I am taking your lead, and the baton, now. It is emblazoned with your name!

Matty:  Ah.....from Netiquette Nazi to Media Tart!!!  I have learned well from your tutelage, dear, O King of TARTS!! Hugs to you!

Michael:  I thought that was an earthquake I felt from the coast last night!! I'm proud to call you friend, Tireless Champion!!

TedEbear:  Thanks, honey! I am honored that you think so.........sending you big BEAR <<<HUGS>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendy, dear woman........MAKE THAT CALL!! There very well could be a woman just like me, who has waited for years to get news of a
                                     support group! You can touch lives, JUST DO IT! Love........

Iggy:  Blessings on you! I was needing someone to help me focus, and you have provided!  Excellent, I have printed them out!

emerald:  I feel the shift is happening. The time is NOW. It does come with self-sacrifice, of sorts, but it is a small matter, that. It's worth
              it, I just know it. By the way, I took 14 pages of notes, longhand, from the PBS special. Thanks for every word!

jordon:  Hi! Nice of you to chime in!  Yes, I will definitely link the article for everyone here........keep your eyes peeled!!

Each of you are in my heart!

Love,

Zephyr

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 03:20:22 am »
Zephie Dear,

That was not a little quake from the coast last night.  The reports show a 7.5 on the richter scale with an epicenter in the Sierra Foothills.  That was you shaking our world.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline zephyr

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 03:30:00 am »
Michael, dearheart...

LOL!! Is that what happened???

This earth-shaker is so tired, I've got to lay this body down!!

I'll call you after work tomorrow, sweetie!!

Nitey nite!!

Love,

Zephie ::)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 03:59:32 am »
Bugger this time difference...late again, but what the hell.

I knew when you and Trish came to the forums you were both going make a difference...I just didn't know how...you are both a force to be reckoned with that's for sure...your courage and determination is an inspiration, not only for me, but for HIV+ women everywhere...I'm proud to know you both.

((((hugs))))
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 02:04:13 pm »
Hi Zeph,
I think this is a great opportunity for you to get the message out. If I were going to have this chance I would try to make sure to get across the information that women are the fastest growing newly infected population, and that we are abhorrent of the treatment shown to the HIV/AIDS infected women by our president, and our government.

Ryan White funding is currently insufficient, and the future is looking dismal across the board for us.
It seems that since there are many effective medications to "treat" HIV infection, that the nation has forgotten that this pandemic is still a serious threat.

We want people to know that the numbers are still growing every day, and we must unite, to educate, advocate, and lead the fight for better care.

Meet you in the trenches,
Lisa
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Markmt

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 02:35:58 pm »
Zephyr, you never fail to make us proud honey. Thankyou for all the on going work  :-*

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 04:23:35 am »
Congrats Zephyr, sweetie....you really are an inspiration!  Next time I go to Tahoe I'm gonna blow you a big kiss when I pass your exit off 50  (as soon as I get thru dreaming about the Mercedes dealership a few miles back    ;D  )

Take care m'dear,
John

Offline zephyr

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 12:46:27 am »
Hi John!

If you are that close to me off Highway 50, (when next you pass), I'll have to INSIST on the delivery of THAT KISS in PERSON!!

(this little 'forums' sister is only 3 miles south off of 50, just up the hill from all those Mercedes!!)

Please?

Thanks honey...I appreciate your kind, kind words to me!

Love,

Zephyr

Offline LACboi

• AMG member since June 2005
    • FaceBook
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 04:12:32 am »
Zeph,

I'm happy for you, I wish I had the courage to do what you are doing. you should post the article and pic once its published.

Offline eirin

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 08:57:16 am »
Zephyr, what good news, I am so proud of you!
You are so brave and have achieved so much in such a short time!
Love and kisses from your friend in Amsterdam.

Offline zephyr

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 09:46:38 pm »
My friends, family.....

Thank you for your words of encouragement and love. LACboi...love the photo, and Eirin, you knew I was thinking about you, dear!!

I may not be able to post about the interview for a day or so, since early Wednesday, I attend my very first (formal) Allocations Committee Meeting (for the Ryan White Planning Council) in Sacramento @9:00 a.m. I live an hour away from meet, so I'll do my best to come in sometime in the afternoon.

I'm pushed a little with the unexpected invitation to attend, but it's been said that they need my input, so I'll be there!

Excuse my rushed tone...life is moving quite fast these days for me...

Love,

Zephyr

Offline Eldon

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 10:03:14 pm »
Zephie,

Make it happen. My hat is off to you. Conradulations.

Offline zephyr

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 01:17:37 am »
AIDSMEDS = ZEPHYR'S INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

Was already in bed, but I couldn't end this day without a short post to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALL, for helping me to reach this milestone in my life........anticipating PUBLIC DISCLOSURE via this counties local newspaper!

The journalist and I were together for 3 hours today, and she is returning on Sunday for another 3 hours!! :o

The article won't be published until the end of this month, and yes, I can post a link to their website!!

I want to thank everyone for their supportive phone calls, emails, pm's and posts.......OMG! I am so deeply touched and overwhelmed!!

I promise a full description soon.........but in the meantime, please know that the release of these 14 years of silence is the most incredible feeling, I don't know if I'll be able to find the right words to do it justice, but I'll try.

From depths I never knew I had,

Love,

Zephyr :-*

Offline Trish

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 10:55:28 am »
;D 8)

I know the feeling you speak of darling...I have trouble explaining it myself.

The sense of release sent a calm spell over me.  I feel wonderful now since doing my "coming out" interview last week.  It's hard to find the right words to express how I feel.  I think maybe I'm feeling euphoric and I have this overwhelming sense of self-worth.  Doing that interview has empowered me even more.  I guess I've come to a place of acceptance with HIV and have freed my demons.  It's just very hard to find the right words.  But I do understand Zeph, I truly do. ;D

I can't wait to read the article...and I don't know if I can wait that long, but that's life.

All my love,

Trish :-* :)
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.